Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

medical question.

for some reason, i have developed a lump on my right elbow. googling, i am fairly sure it is elbow bursitis. it feels like liquid, is moveable, isn't terribly big but is noticeable, and looks exactly like the pictures i've seen.

problem is i am traveling and won't be home for at least two months due to work. i also lost my general practitioner a few months ago due to retirement. what kind of doctor or facility do i go to for treatment? my insurance will work in this area it seems, so that's not an issue. but i don't know if i simply need to walk into a 'quick care' facility, or need to head to an ER, or if i need to treat it myself, or what.

i am near utep so there're plenty of medical options around, i just don't know which to see. and i'd rather avoid going between two or three and just head to the right one tomorrow if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Why is title insurance still a thing in the US? It seems like especially nowadays in most places (especially most places where people are regularly buying homes) it would be pretty easy to determine who currently owns a piece of property, log that in an official government database, just have people reference that database to determine who has title, and require people to update it. It seems like this mostly already happens but we still have to have title insurance anyway.

The system where the government maintains the titles instead of owners producing deeds is known as the Torrens system. IIRC Minnesota has it? The big thing that would have to change is that the government guarantees the title which means that they have to spend money to maintain the records to a high standard. In countries that fully adopt it, the government requires the owners to present the deeds whenever any land transaction occurs and they would go on record as a limited title. If no one presents a competing deed within the grace period (usually 20 to 40 years), then the government guarantees the title and no other claim is valid. Thus no title insurance is needed, if someone disputes your property you go to the government and check who's on the deed.

In countries where it's been going a long time (Mainly Australia and NZ, It's an Australian invention) virtually all land titles are guaranteed by the government. I think in NZ at some point they just set a deadline for everyone and investigated the tiny minority of land that didn't have any recorded title.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
The Corona virus is covered in spike proteins, can each of those infect a cell meaning one virus can infect 100 cells?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Crankit posted:

The Corona virus is covered in spike proteins, can each of those infect a cell meaning one virus can infect 100 cells?

No.

It’s like a naval mine. There’s only one payload. When any of the spikes does its job and gains entry to the cell, the rest of the spikes are of no further use.

This article goes into some depth on the “lifecycle” of the virus.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

regulargonzalez posted:

Is there any way to find out who the dancer is in the video backdrop https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0wWGab44cU

Went to the concert with my partner a few weeks ago and that woman's dancing was the highlight for me, if she has vids on YT I'd love to see them

I'd ask in a dedicated Maroon 5 fan forum/FB group/reddit, there's bound to be obsessive fans who know everything about the band, no matter how minor.

Or maybe just ask the band's Twitter account?

Gabriel-Ernest
Jun 3, 2011

Such dreadful things should not be said even in fun.
Re: animal dissection, we were given minks in high school anatomy class, and it seems those are pretty popular for mammalian dissections because some fur farms pass them along. I remember being highly relieved we didn’t get cats.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

jkk posted:

I'd ask in a dedicated Maroon 5 fan forum/FB group/reddit, there's bound to be obsessive fans who know everything about the band, no matter how minor.

Or maybe just ask the band's Twitter account?

Thanks. I had looked at the subreddit already but for such a popular band it is a wasteland. Less than one-half of 1% the number of subscribers as the Radiohead sub, for example. Nearly as low traffic as the Sleater-Kinney sub.

I'll try and track down a more active fan forum.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

abelwingnut posted:

medical question.

for some reason, i have developed a lump on my right elbow. googling, i am fairly sure it is elbow bursitis. it feels like liquid, is moveable, isn't terribly big but is noticeable, and looks exactly like the pictures i've seen.

problem is i am traveling and won't be home for at least two months due to work. i also lost my general practitioner a few months ago due to retirement. what kind of doctor or facility do i go to for treatment? my insurance will work in this area it seems, so that's not an issue. but i don't know if i simply need to walk into a 'quick care' facility, or need to head to an ER, or if i need to treat it myself, or what.

i am near utep so there're plenty of medical options around, i just don't know which to see. and i'd rather avoid going between two or three and just head to the right one tomorrow if possible.

Do not go to an ER for this. Google if there is an orthopedic urgent care in the area, that would be your best bet. Otherwise you could go to a regular urgent care, but if it’s not bothering you and you don’t have any signs of infection (fever, pain or redness in your elbow), you could treat it yourself with rest, ice and heat, and a NSAID like ibuprofen.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Why do radio stations in the US tend to be something like WKUZ-102 The Surge FM (or whatever)? What does the W stand for? Is this just a thing on TV or do real radio stations have the same sort of format?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

There are some exceptions but I believe the W or K has to do with whether the station is east or west of the Mississippi

And yes real radio stations are like that. The NPR station in chicago is pretty universally called WBEZ

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

EvilHawk posted:

Why do radio stations in the US tend to be something like WKUZ-102 The Surge FM (or whatever)? What does the W stand for? Is this just a thing on TV or do real radio stations have the same sort of format?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_call_signs

tl;dr every radio transmitter (broadcast TV is a form of radio), whether transmitting or receiving, gets a unique identifying code, although the exact format of the code depends on what the transmitter is. Radio/TV transmitters use the east/west Wxxx/Kxxx format... although there are some really old stations that use K east of the Mississippi, and/or just have three letters

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

EvilHawk posted:

Those are called call signs and are issued by the FCC or NTIA. Previous poster answered that W and K are geographic designators. The wiki has a lot of good info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_signs_in_the_United_States

E:f;b.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
What is the key to those immaculate, supple poops where you don't even have to wipe but they're not painfully hard?

I eat tons of salads and beans so I doubt it's fiber.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
From personal experience? Entemans Chocolate donuts, coupled with slight dehydration. I'm sure exercising and stuff doesn't hurt either.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

tuyop posted:

What is the key to those immaculate, supple poops where you don't even have to wipe but they're not painfully hard?

I eat tons of salads and beans so I doubt it's fiber.

Stop drinking booze.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I've had a tension headache for 10 days now. Is there actually any point seeing a doctor, like can they do anything about it other than recommend drugs and better lifestyle?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why is it that a bar of soap doesn't suds as well when it's small?

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

!Klams posted:

I've had a tension headache for 10 days now. Is there actually any point seeing a doctor, like can they do anything about it other than recommend drugs and better lifestyle?

My mom gets Botox administered to certain muscles in her scalp that helps prevent tension headaches and I have a friend who does it herself. It couldn't hurt to check and see if they can help you, I'm sure it costs a billion dollars if you live in America, I dunno really.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

McCracAttack posted:

Stop drinking booze.

Way to make it less worth it

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

tuyop posted:

Way to make it less worth it

Hey I never said it was worth it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

hooah posted:

Why is it that a bar of soap doesn't suds as well when it's small?

The main reason is that it has less surface area to interact with your hand and suds are generated by the agitation of your hands on the soap. This is why shower puffs can generate so much more lather than your hands; the net structure has a shitload of surface area to interact with.

Another contributing factor is that soap manufacturers often add chemicals to the soap for various things, like helping mitigate the effects of hard water or whatnot, and some of these chemicals are more volatile than the soap itself. These chemicals can either offgas over time or leech out into the water faster than the soap is consumed, so that an old bar of soap is less effective.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

dupersaurus posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_call_signs

tl;dr every radio transmitter (broadcast TV is a form of radio), whether transmitting or receiving, gets a unique identifying code, although the exact format of the code depends on what the transmitter is. Radio/TV transmitters use the east/west Wxxx/Kxxx format... although there are some really old stations that use K east of the Mississippi, and/or just have three letters

Badger of Basra posted:

There are some exceptions but I believe the W or K has to do with whether the station is east or west of the Mississippi

And yes real radio stations are like that. The NPR station in chicago is pretty universally called WBEZ

Mr. Nice! posted:

Those are called call signs and are issued by the FCC or NTIA. Previous poster answered that W and K are geographic designators. The wiki has a lot of good info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_signs_in_the_United_States

E:f;b.

Exactly what I was after! Just couldn't put the right words into google. Thanks :)

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Has anyone read that Alien: River of pain book?

I understand it’s part three of a series and covers the events between Alien and Aliens, it sounds interesting but not interesting enough to read all four books. Can I read it and “get the point”?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

You've probably seen the many ads for scammy mobile games with the fake gameplay that shows you pulling doors out of the way to let lava/water/gold pour into different rooms.

Is that based on an actual game? Is there an explanation for why they use that type of fake game to sell one that's completely different?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Manager Hoyden posted:

You've probably seen the many ads for scammy mobile games with the fake gameplay that shows you pulling doors out of the way to let lava/water/gold pour into different rooms.

Is that based on an actual game? Is there an explanation for why they use that type of fake game to sell one that's completely different?

I'm pretty sure that is the gameplay in Evony. Not all of the gameplay but certainly a part of it.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Are https://www.biolifeplasma.com legit blood donation places? My hotel is next to one and I'll be here for a few weeks so i was going to donate while it's just 200 feet away

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Stravag posted:

Are https://www.biolifeplasma.com legit blood donation places? My hotel is next to one and I'll be here for a few weeks so i was going to donate while it's just 200 feet away
They're legit plasma donation centers. I donated to one locally for most of my time in college.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Crumps Brother posted:

They're legit plasma donation centers. I donated to one locally for most of my time in college.

Cool. Bow just to get them to accepy me even though im living out of hotels for work

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Manager Hoyden posted:

I vaguely remember hearing some game developer say they looked into this and it would be very difficult to make an actual game that was very compelling out of this concept, but it's eye catching and easy for just about anyone to grasp at a glance.

I've never played Evony but iirc it's what you might very generously call a "Civ clone", maybe it has some gameplay like that in there.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
there was like a tweet or a Tumblr post recently I can't find that dealt with the happiness and *the banality of life as we get older

it was something like, "being in your thirties is like fondly remembering that long walk you took a year ago"

I can't remember if it contrasted it with something like spring break in Cancun in your twenties, but it's been bugging me since I had a staycation last week and literally cannot stop thinking about this long walk I went on

anyway, if anyone knows what I'm talking about, I'd appreciate them posting it. I think it was on Twitter but it might have also been a repost on Twitter from an account like @exaltiora

super random and minor, but again, it's been bugging me and I wanted to give the goon hive mind a shot

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 3, 2021

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Stravag posted:

I sold my plasma there in college, over ten years ago. It’s a legit place. However you can’t really call it donation since they pay you, and you should look into the effects of taking plasma out of your blood on a regular basis before you decide to do it. I also have scars on my AC areas from all the pokes with those huge needles. In retrospect I wish I had never done it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

!Klams posted:

They can also prescribe drugs that you can't just buy normally.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Idk if there is a latin thread, but in the term

Pēdīcābō ego vōs et irrumābō,

If I wanted to cleverly name a character "Sodomy McFacefuck"

Would he be Pedicabo Irrumabo?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So there’s lots of relaxing videos on YouTube where folks are machining metal. Thing is, it creates huge amounts of tiny metal chips that pile up everywhere.

My crude understanding of chemistry is that lots of tiny flakes of metal can oxidize and make really bad things happen, AKA thermite. Why don’t machinists’ shops turn into a melty inferno the moment a hot chip lands in a pile of other rusty chips?

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Fruits of the sea posted:

So there’s lots of relaxing videos on YouTube where folks are machining metal. Thing is, it creates huge amounts of tiny metal chips that pile up everywhere.

My crude understanding of chemistry is that lots of tiny flakes of metal can oxidize and make really bad things happen, AKA thermite. Why don’t machinists’ shops turn into a melty inferno the moment a hot chip lands in a pile of other rusty chips?

I think thermite has to be very finely ground and also a certain mix of iron oxide and aluminum which then needs crazy heat to ignite.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fruits of the sea posted:

It can happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZHpeBubb_M

It doesn’t happen in every machine shop because it takes high temperatures to start and sustain an iron fire. You ever see steel cut with an torch? It’s preheated by a gas flame till it glows, then the reaction in the steel can be sustained with oxygen alone. But it takes that jet of pure oxygen. Close the valve, and the I-beam or whatever won’t burn like a candle in ordinary air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uPAjIOkLVA&t=920s

Other metals like magnesium are far more reactive. A pile of magnesium shavings will burn vigorously once ignited. Consequently, machinists practice better hygiene with magnesium.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 3, 2021

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Boba Pearl posted:

Idk if there is a latin thread, but in the term

Pēdīcābō ego vōs et irrumābō,

If I wanted to cleverly name a character "Sodomy McFacefuck"

Would he be Pedicabo Irrumabo?

No thats still verb forms

Make it something like pedicabans irrumabotor

So its like the assfucking mouthfucker

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Manager Hoyden posted:

Here’s an article:
https://www.thegamer.com/someone-made-the-mobile-game-from-those-fake-ads/

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

JesustheDarkLord posted:

No thats still verb forms

Make it something like pedicabans irrumabotor

So its like the assfucking mouthfucker

The root verbs are pedicare and irrumare, so you want "pedicans irrumator".

e: that might not be right, but it's closer.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
That's awesome thank you!

One more question, I'm trying to use the SA search function but I can't find an answer.

What are the specific steps to make a long avatar? Buy an avatar, copy the link, buy a new avatar, put the old link in the title?