Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

"Hey, Wolverine's on this team right?"
"Yeah probably, toss him in"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I can't wait until casual fans go online and find out what Lilith looks like in the comics.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

i can't figure out who that is...magik?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

site posted:

i can't figure out who that is...magik?

Firaxis has confirmed that Magik is in the game but I also can't tell if that's supposed to be her or not.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i saw her in the trailer, it's just that that doesn't look anything like her so i wasn't sure.

e: she does have the sword and arm though so i guess it must be

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Probably a dumb costume for her, the end of the trailer advertised a skin for Blade, I'm betting all the black and gold costumes they're showing are optional.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hey Magik and Nico. I'm in.

Glad that it's not all OC characters and hopefully you can control and play as the Marvel people while still having the OC as the main protagonist.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Huh, Midnight Sons was not what I was expecting, but hearing that made that leak make so much more sense. I always liked the supernatural side of Marvel so I am glad its getting a spotlight. Those fancy black and gold costumes at the end were a little much, but all-in-all I'm very interested.

drkhrs2020
Jul 22, 2007

"Hey we're spending a shitload of money on this Marvel video game, how about this iconic song?"

"No, too expensive, just pay for a lovely cover"

Looks kind of cool, but not seeing the point of the entire roster of heroes in a Firaxis tactics game unless you perma-lose them in death to "purgatory" or something

edit: nevermind

quote:

In case you're wondering: no, this won't just be an XCOM game with capes. Game lead Jake Solomon told Polygon in an interview that Midnight Suns shares "zero mechanics" with the XCOM series. You'll play missions with up to three other heroes as you develop The Hunter's powers. When you're not in combat, an open-world area will help you form bonds with fellow heroes. And instead of the paranoia and fear that drive XCOM, you're rolling into battle with confidence — there's no permanent character death, for starters.

So, they're aiming for a Bioware-esque rpg experience I guess.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

In fairness to them when your roster includes a mutant who can come back from any injury, a man who regularly backs up his mind and a Hellspawned weapon for Heaven, the idea that your team could die just around the corner loses a bit of credibility.

Though Marvel games with a bunch of established heroes and Player Insert characters are a mixed bag, I'm hoping less X-Men: Destiny and more Marvel: Avengers Alliance.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

You’ll control your OC(do not steal) for the story, but they said you’ll also be controlling 3 other actual heroes in combat so it’s not that bad. I can hang with that

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JordanKai posted:

Firaxis has confirmed that Magik is in the game but I also can't tell if that's supposed to be her or not.

Flaming sword so probably.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

omg chael crash posted:

You’ll control your OC(do not steal) for the story, but they said you’ll also be controlling 3 other actual heroes in combat so it’s not that bad. I can hang with that

So just need to figure out which Marvel character not in the game that the mechanics support creating.

Like a Jean Grey, or if the facial options are wild enough a Peter Porker.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

drkhrs2020 posted:

"Hey we're spending a shitload of money on this Marvel video game, how about this iconic song?"

"No, too expensive, just pay for a lovely cover"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF9Gr5waAJg

See, that's why Paul Heyman had Motorhead record a cover. They coulda used this one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, Heyman didn't pay.

Anyone. Ever.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Android Blues posted:

That looks extremely cheesy and extremely fun, potentially. Now let me romance my roommate Wolverine, and I'm 100% on board.

Basically same except Nico

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Basing this thing off of a set of lovely team up books from the 90s because the lead Firaxis dev loved them sure is a thing. Good on them for coming at it with more of a hook than 'Ultimate Alliance, but XCOM' like I was expecting.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The cynic in me thinks that they had an idea of which characters they wanted to use and market, and then went looking for a team in the past that most closely resembled it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lobok posted:

The cynic in me thinks that they had an idea of which characters they wanted to use and market, and then went looking for a team in the past that most closely resembled it.

"We really want to use Iron Man and Wolverine, have they been on any teams?"

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
If this game pans out it would be easy enough to make sequels focused on other groups of Marvel heroes. Like a Marvel Knights game with a bunch of the NY street level characters could be neat.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

hcreight posted:

If this game pans out it would be easy enough to make sequels focused on other groups of Marvel heroes. Like a Marvel Knights game with a bunch of the NY street level characters could be neat.

I want an OG Defenders game where each of the four control wildly different (Hulk, Doctor Strange, Silver Surfer, Namor)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Retro Futurist posted:

"We really want to use Iron Man and Wolverine, have they been on any teams?"

Without just being another Avengers game, I mean.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I won't deny this is a bit of a histrionic reaction on my behalf, but finding out that the game is card-based crashed what little amount of good will I had left

A bit ironic how they're trying so hard to go "It's not just Marvel XCOM!" when that's what I loving wanted.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Who's saying it's card based?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

This got posted over in the XCOM thread. No idea where the screenshot came from, looks like it could be from a magazine.

Chairchucker posted:

Apparently this still is from Midnight Suns gameplay

Deckbuilder maybe?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think there's also a new mobile game coming out, it might be from that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I looked around, the gameplay demo is today so it probably got out early.

It's effectively an action point system with a bit of RNG thrown in.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Oh wow, maybe they weren't kidding when they said this would be nothing like X-Com. I'm kind of curious to see how the game plays now.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Veotax posted:

This got posted over in the XCOM thread. No idea where the screenshot came from, looks like it could be from a magazine.

it's apparently from the Game Informer cover story on the game. the new issue was released digitally to subscribers yesterday.

I don't have a subscription so I can't check myself, but it seems to be real. but either way, the official gameplay reveal is in less than two hours

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eeGFDDU3Hg

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

OnimaruXLR posted:

I won't deny this is a bit of a histrionic reaction on my behalf, but finding out that the game is card-based crashed what little amount of good will I had left

A bit ironic how they're trying so hard to go "It's not just Marvel XCOM!" when that's what I loving wanted.

Yeah, I agree. I know it's my problem and all, but I loving hate card-based mechanics in video games, and especially when they are actually represented with cards. I was really looking forward to Midnight Suns, but I did kinda also just want Marvel XCOM.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

catlord posted:

Yeah, I agree. I know it's my problem and all, but I loving hate card-based mechanics in video games, and especially when they are actually represented with cards. I was really looking forward to Midnight Suns, but I did kinda also just want Marvel XCOM.

same. I know it's just the same thing as choosing skills, but something about *loving cards* is just a big turn off.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I really hate cards. The little peek didn't look too bad though, but why cards instead of just regular menus?

That actress for Nico sounded like the same person from the TV show. That would be cool if that's the case.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

I really hate cards. The little peek didn't look too bad though, but why cards instead of just regular menus?
Because cards give an element of randomization that a menu doesn't. You can like or dislike the mechanic, but it's a deliberate choice. I like cards and think they're neat. Still not sure about this for other reasons, but it could be fun.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
If I wanted to play cards I'd just...well...play some loving cards.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Not knowing anything about cars mechanics work, it looks(???) like it's made to prevent the xcom problem of having best builds by randomizing what skills characters get, it just uses a really stupid looking ui for it? Am I in the ballpark with that interpretation?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Card-based? loving barf.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Genuine question: why is card-based gameplay such a turn-off for so many people? Is it the looming threat of microtransactions and pay-to-win design?

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I’m even MORE excited because of the cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

JordanKai posted:

Genuine question: why is card-based gameplay such a turn-off for so many people? Is it the looming threat of microtransactions and pay-to-win design?

For me, it's all to do with player agency. If I make a stupid choice and the game punishes me for it, fair cop. When my choices are artificially limited to begin with, I lose interest. I play video games to have the freedom and control that I might lack elsewhere in life, so being restricted to a few actions decided by RNG is a layer of bullshit I don't need in my entertainment.

As has been said, Marvel X-com is a perfectly solid concept. Why can't we just have that?