Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Thanks, GoodNotes does look pretty solid for my needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Others to consider.

Notability (great for cross device synch of notebooks: iOS, iPadOS, macOS)
NoteShelf (this one has the best "inking" quality in my opinion).
The built in Notes.app is also a surprisingly powerful note keeping app.

Just for completion's sake I'll mention OneNote. But that PoS ate my notebooks not once, but twice. And I mean not just the local copy, but across all my devices. They may or may not have fixed the issue, but I won't trust it ever again.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Well Played Mauer posted:

Decided not to get the new pro and am sticking with my 10.5 for at least another year. I’ve been using it more than I had and for my purposes it’s not slowing down or really showing any major limitations, so figure better to save a grand and wait until I decide to completely ditch laptops.

That said, I think I’m gonna get a 1st gen pencil for this thing. I take a lot (a lot) of handwritten notes for work and I run a consulting agency, so I have a bunch of separate notebooks for each client, and it’s becoming unruly. Is there a clear winner when it comes to apps for note taking on the iPad?

Mostly what I’d like is an app that lets me organize notes by client, sort by date, maybe tag stuff, handwriting transcription/search, and maybe the ability to attach files/images. Cool with paying if the software is really good.

Google isn’t useful in this case, so hoping there’s a consensus among y’all, either positive or negative on apps to avoid.

OneNote would be the direct comparison to what you already do - but it hasn’t implemented all the new ‘scribble’ features yet which sucks.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I’ve repaired hundreds and hundreds of fiddly electronic devices before.

Nothing even comes close in terms of sheer pain-in-the-assitude to a cracked iPad.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

Others to consider.

Notability (great for cross device synch of notebooks: iOS, iPadOS, macOS)
NoteShelf (this one has the best "inking" quality in my opinion).
The built in Notes.app is also a surprisingly powerful note keeping app.

Just for completion's sake I'll mention OneNote. But that PoS ate my notebooks not once, but twice. And I mean not just the local copy, but across all my devices. They may or may not have fixed the issue, but I won't trust it ever again.

Notability dropped their Mac OS version and I’m still salty about it.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
I am having an issue posting images/media to discord from my iPad Pro second gen (model A1701). Whether I am on WiFi or tethered to my cellular data, any image I try to upload/post shows a “compressing files” message but then nothing happens no matter how long I let it wait. This happens regardless of the size of the file.

I have zero issues posting from my iPhone 6s+ on WiFi or data. The image will show the uploading bar and it uploads very quickly even for a larger file. I am unsure on how to fix this and I can’t really find any info about this particular problem. I’ve messaged discord support but haven’t gotten anything back.

Does anyone have a solution for me or can point me in another direction to solve this?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hughlander posted:

Notability dropped their Mac OS version and I’m still salty about it.

There's actually a new version. I was confused too. It has a slightly different icon than the original version(s).

This is the latest (updated a month ago)

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/notability/id360593530

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

There's actually a new version. I was confused too. It has a slightly different icon than the original version(s).

This is the latest (updated a month ago)

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/notability/id360593530

Ok so maybe my complaint then is I have to go buy multiple versions for something I don't use that often but is annoying when it's not there... Mostly all I used it for was to quickly make copies of a template 'cuz the on device evernote to notability export was a bit jank in ways I no longer remember.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

priznat posted:

Yeah I got a pencil for my 12.9 pro and I hardly ever use it and regret getting it. The iPad is mostly a media consumption device so it’s not really something I have a use for. Very nice to use though, just rarely do.

I would $129 regret it, but if you don't need pressure support the third-party active stylus work great for like $15. I think they are just reverse engineered Crayons in pencil sized cases.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Wengy posted:

Just ordered a 12.9 M1 Pro as a replacement for my sluggish 2016 Pro. I got the Magic Keyboard (no-brainer IMO), but am hesitant on the Pencil. Should I buy it too down the line or is it more of a gimmick? I’ve never used one.

Do you make art? Get the pencil. Do you not make art? Don't get the pencil.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I am looking at buying a possibility refurbished iPad pro. The 11” appeals to me because I also have a 15” 2 in 1 laptop that I can draw on and it is chunky and clunky and I am looking for something more portable.

I am trying not to spend a lot. Here is what I am considering:

2017 refurb 10.5” 64 gb $379
2020 refurb 11” 128 gb $589
2020 air 4 64 gb $479
Other?

I plan on trying Adobe Fresco and also Procreate. This is mostly for sketching ideas to make in traditional media, but I would love to be able to just get better at digital art in general.

I have never had an iPad before, so I won’t notice if the 10.5” is a lot slower or something. I am looking for a good deal for a digital sketchbook basically. I am not worried about space so much as I can keep files in the cloud or on my laptop when not directly working on them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'd get a refurb 2020 Pro over a new 2020 Air, if for nothing else than the extra storage. I'd get either over a base 2017, especially if you want to draw, since those get the newer, improved Pencil.

Assuming this is Apple refurbished.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I still have a 10.5 Pro and honestly, outside of the iOS 15 features that are arbitrarily disabled like the OCR in photos, there’s absolutely nothing I feel like I’m missing out on by not having a newer Pro and it definitely doesn’t feel slow in any way.

I’m no artist though so although scribbling awful doodles with the OG Pencil feels good to me, I don’t really know how much better the newer iPads with the Pencil 2 feels.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I decided to go with the 11" 2020 refurbed pro. It is exactly what I am looking for. Light and fun and I can send files between it and my laptop to do whatever. I figured why not get the most expensive one I was looking at - it will probably last longer. Got the pencil too. So now I just need to draw my super good ideas and finally become rich from art!

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

HungryMedusa posted:

I decided to go with the 11" 2020 refurbed pro. It is exactly what I am looking for. Light and fun and I can send files between it and my laptop to do whatever. I figured why not get the most expensive one I was looking at - it will probably last longer. Got the pencil too. So now I just need to draw my super good ideas and finally become rich from art!

Get Procreate and follow YouTube tutorials (I like Draw with Flo); you’ll find you can come up with some pretty interesting and quality ideas in no time.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

HungryMedusa posted:

Hope you give us first dibs on your hot NFTs.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

japtor posted:

Hope you give us first dibs on your hot NFTs.

gently caress, I should have got the 12.9”; the 11 will never be able to handle that pig’s balls!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

HungryMedusa posted:

gently caress, I should have got the 12.9”; the 11 will never be able to handle that pig’s balls!

you still have time, tbh

for me the sweet spots are the Air at ~11” and 12.9” for the Pro. Maybe once the Mini gets updated it replaces the Air in my mind for best “smaller than a laptop display” tablet

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Pencil trip report: I ended up saying gently caress it and bought the 11” Pro with the Pencil 2. Grabbed GoodNotes because their organizational schema matches my own passion for sub-folders.

Holy poo poo I didn’t realize what I was missing with the pencil. It writes really well and I haven’t needed to dig all over the place for notebooks, flip around, search endlessly for old notes. It’s just great. I may try playing around with Notes just for the handwriting to text feature, though. That’d be cool, and it doesn’t look like GoodNotes does that.

Also, the Magic Keyboard. It’s better to type on than the 2019 MBP keyboard, and getting an actual trackpad with right click is just delightful. Only wish there was a way to fold the keyboard back so I don’t have to yank the iPad off to write/hold it in portrait mode, but I guess that’s why the Smart Folio exists.

Edit: Figured out how to convert handwriting to text in Good Notes. It’s the same as in Notes. Select the words, tap the selection, then tap “Convert.” That would have saved me some time today.

Well Played Mauer fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 2, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well Played Mauer posted:

Only wish there was a way to fold the keyboard back so I don’t have to yank the iPad off to write/hold it in portrait mode, but I guess that’s why the Smart Folio exists.

That is my only gripe with it. Besides that it is fantastic.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I bought the otterbox symmetry, the logitech k380 and the pencil and it's been a perfect setup. I like the idea of the magic keyboard but I've always thought the Smart Case was the platonic ideal of the ipad case and am always baffled that apple doesn't just sell it as a simple, one-piece accessory anymore (as if I'm gonna pay $100 for what is basically just a cover for the front and back) because I don't always want the keyboard there and I don't want to have to take the ipad completely off the case just to use it without the keyboard.

Really pleased with the M1 12.9. Glad I upgraded to the bigger model. I still mostly only use it for media consumption, but with how much use it's getting, it was worth getting the best.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

My new iPad Pro seems to be losing battery life tout suite- way faster than my 2 year old one it replaced. 30
Minutes of reading Shonen jump drained 10% of the battery. Drawing in Clip Studio is just as quick. How do I check battery health on this thing? I want to have as much info as possible to give Apple to have them replace this unit.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

My new iPad Pro seems to be losing battery life tout suite- way faster than my 2 year old one it replaced. 30
Minutes of reading Shonen jump drained 10% of the battery. Drawing in Clip Studio is just as quick. How do I check battery health on this thing? I want to have as much info as possible to give Apple to have them replace this unit.

I know the M1 isn’t radically different from the previous versions but maybe those apps aren’t optimized for it?

Are there any other apps that are doing it?

AFAIK you can’t check the battery health on the iPad.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
You should be able to install Coconut Battery. If you can see what that tells you.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

AFAIK you can’t check the battery health on the iPad.
It won't tell you which app is consuming the most power like the iPhone does? (I don't have mine handy or I'd check myself)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Proteus Jones posted:

It won't tell you which app is consuming the most power like the iPhone does? (I don't have mine handy or I'd check myself)

Nope thats an iphone only thing for some reason

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It shows it on my Air 4.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 6, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh right you do that have but on iPhone you can see the actual battery health/max capacity

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I found the culprit: apparently my Photos app was thrashing the battery. I think it was constantly updating in the background as I use it a lot at work and I have a feeling it was categorizing all 68k+ photos with the cloud? Since I use my iPad at work a lot (mostly with Clip Studio and grabbing photos as reference) where I have incredibly lovely WiFi I think it was chugging most of the cpu doing that.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Holyshit.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Widgets? :confuoot:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I thought they'd never leave the side bar.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

They announced that months ago!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Now how about they shrink down the gap between app icons. They don't need to hit maximum icon density, but all that dead space has always looked weird.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
And let non apple widgets take priority over their dumb ones. Android has been so far ahead of them on this poo poo for years and it’s frustrating.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

I dunno if it’s been fixed but installing the first iPadOS 15 beta helpfully added some of the new Apple widgets to my homescreen blowing up my organization which was fun to clean up, so good luck!

I’m curious though, what do people actually use widgets for? I kinda get it if you live off of your calendar, and I’ve seen the widgets+shortcuts routine to make an iPhone into a 2007-era MySpace page but are they just an aesthetic decision or does anyone actually use them?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like how in iPadOS 15 I can put a few useful widgets up, have some of my most used apps and then everything else just in the App Library. Organizing the Home Screen gets so much easier.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I’m curious though, what do people actually use widgets for? I kinda get it if you live off of your calendar, and I’ve seen the widgets+shortcuts routine to make an iPhone into a 2007-era MySpace page but are they just an aesthetic decision or does anyone actually use them?

They're not generally useful, no one cares about them on android anymore because of that. If you can find one or two that aren't useless for you, you're doing more with them than most.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The only widget on ios I use is the shortcuts one because I have a shortcut that lets me easily upload to Imgur to poo poo post on these forums.

I kinda doubt that’s gonna change for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Siri suggestions widget is really good, saves you keeping app you use at the same time every day in a static spot. Instead you can have Siri pop them up when it thinks you'll use them.