Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Last Celebration posted:

As someone who’s only watched the anime aside from the post-anime content, I just picked up the first volume (wasn’t on sale for the longest time) and wow, Togashi has a really engrossing way of drawing. It’s something I’ve known from the Eyepatch video on Yu Yu Hakasho but still.

I love his"intense" faces, they look legit amazing and sometimes he does this calligraphy style as well with really think lines which also look great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Last Celebration posted:

As someone who’s only watched the anime aside from the post-anime content, I just picked up the first volume (wasn’t on sale for the longest time) and wow, Togashi has a really engrossing way of drawing. It’s something I’ve known from the Eyepatch video on Yu Yu Hakasho but still.

Honestly, the art direction in the 2011 is not that great and completely changes the mood of a lot of scenes.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I got volume 2 in the mail and Togashi’s art continues to own, also I love the 2011 anime for being a well done show in and of itself, great English dub, quality OST, got me in the series, etc blah blah blah, but also gently caress the 2011 anime for taking away the sushi competition from me.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Is the dub good? I watched 5 min of one episode and wasn't impressed

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
ITa probably not better than the JP version but imho it’s generally pretty good in its own right and from what I can tell the dub script is better than the subs and reading/hearing mediocre translations takes me out of a show so I kinda rate it highly for that too.

Plus I much prefer the dub narrator but that’s a very subjective thing since both go for different styles.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

My only problem with the dub is that it replaces "Shoot McMahon...is a coward" with "is faint of heart." It's a very solid to good dub throughout, though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Last Celebration posted:

I got volume 2 in the mail and Togashi’s art continues to own, also I love the 2011 anime for being a well done show in and of itself, great English dub, quality OST, got me in the series, etc blah blah blah, but also gently caress the 2011 anime for taking away the sushi competition from me.

Yeah, taking away the sushi was the worst. Should've taken away the boars if anything.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/mrjeffu/status/1405703041815236609

https://twitter.com/mrjeffu/status/1405709038516523010

https://twitter.com/mrjeffu/status/1405710660575453184

This explains a lot.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The volleyball game is still one of my favorite scenes, but on a third watch it's like "Oh... oh yeah, that's really self-destructive behavior they've both got going on, and they're both acting like it's a good thing and literally no one else is."

And every so often they'll cut to Hisoka who is obviously rock loving hard.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I think part of my dislike of the Chimera Ant arc is it's a sudden hit of the brakes, you go from the dodgeball game and the fight with the Bombers to two entire episodes of gushing about King of Assholes Ging and a screeching halt to the action. Yorkshin to Greed Island was at least a gradual transition and they kept the action at a moderate level while they introduced the new mechanics, GI to CA is a sudden shift to a new scenario and a gradual buildup of tension from there, and the biggest fight is a kid with a stick versus a snake. Not even a Badass Anime Stick or Badass Anime Snake.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Man, I had completely forgotten all the ridiculous poo poo that happened with Palm. loving metronome of characterization, every time it seems like she might become interesting if she goes down this path a little more, she just yoyos back across the line.

When I first saw it, I thought Shoot's battle upgrade was dumb, but on this rewatch it is clearly cool as hell.

It's weird that Netero vs. Meruem only gets like two episodes where Youpi gets 5+ and even Morel staring at Pouf's cocoon gets a solid 3.

The scene of the Royal Guards feeding themselves to Meruem is uncomfortably close to fetishized.

Adorable chibi Pouf makes a sort of sense with his design and personality. Adorable chibi Youpi is an abomination, he should look like a hunk of meat with a grimace all the time.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Chimera Ant arc done, and while it is a lot better than I initially gave it credit for, I still prefer Greed Island.

I still think it introduced way too many characters purely to kill them off, and some of the ones that survived have less characterization than the dead. Gon-san is still a completely ridiculous upgrade, and not only because all his nails and body hair should have grown as well. But it does make sense for a twelve year old who needs more power. Who has more power? An adult! I do feel that we got cheated out of, like, three fights and a satisfying resolution thanks to that and the bomb, but that's entirely my standard shonen rear end.

I still cried at the end, though. What we got was well done, even if I might have wanted something else.

I mentioned that GI to CA felt like hitting the brakes, but the transition into the Chairman Election feels like CA was slowing down way before it needed to make the turn, so it's not such a jarring transition.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I feel like Chimera is almost twice as long as it needs to be. The first part, before the King and the royal guards show up, is especially slow. I wouldn't say it's totally pointless, but it could definitely use a lot of trimming.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I almost think it works better a slow burn; the ants start off as intelligent animals treating the act of killing in a mechanical fashion and the shift to them being “man I sure love killing them humans and watching the life bleed out of humans” is the most disturbing aspect of them.

But yeah, there definitely could stand to be some trimming overall since Chimera Ant isn’t quite like other long arcs in shonen like Red Ribbon and Baroque Works that are mostly semi-related vignettes on the way to the big bad. I could do without the dart match fishman-ant guy that I only really remember cause he was voiced by Little Kuribo, for instance.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Last Celebration posted:

I could do without the dart match fishman-ant guy that I only really remember cause he was voiced by Little Kuribo, for instance.

Wait, what? I never watched the dub. That’s hilarious.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Is the pacing argument from the perspective of the anime or the manga? I generally re-read the manga once a year and the CA arc doesn't feel bad but somewhat related to Clarste's observation, I tend to think of the NGL as "Part 1" and East Gorteau as "Part 2" for the purposes of my binging.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Last Celebration posted:

I almost think it works better a slow burn; the ants start off as intelligent animals treating the act of killing in a mechanical fashion and the shift to them being “man I sure love killing them humans and watching the life bleed out of humans” is the most disturbing aspect of them.

But yeah, there definitely could stand to be some trimming overall since Chimera Ant isn’t quite like other long arcs in shonen like Red Ribbon and Baroque Works that are mostly semi-related vignettes on the way to the big bad. I could do without the dart match fishman-ant guy that I only really remember cause he was voiced by Little Kuribo, for instance.

I mean red ribbon was more of a slog than CA by a lot.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Dareon posted:

Gon-san is still a completely ridiculous upgrade, and not only because all his nails and body hair should have grown as well. But it does make sense for a twelve year old who needs more power. Who has more power? An adult! I do feel that we got cheated out of, like, three fights and a satisfying resolution thanks to that and the bomb, but that's entirely my standard shonen rear end.

To be more specific he didn't want to become an adult he wanted to become "as powerful as he'll ever be". It's not that he just rapidly grew into an adult (and therefore would've had years of not shaving and grooming) he just became the endgame version of himself after decades of adventuring and training for a moment before he got hit with the backlash of his vow.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

excuse me :colbert: Gon and Killua are at least 13 by CA (or even Greed Island) because it's a full year between exams and they're 12 during the first one. I sure hope Togashi got fired for that blunder

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

bees x1000 posted:

I sure hope Togashi got fired for that blunder

functionally similar to togashi still being employed rn

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Man, I do not remember anything of substance about the Chairman Election. I remember the tree at the end and the old lady that turns into a motorcycle and a jet, but nearly every single story beat has been a complete surprise.

I think I've only got a few more episodes to go, then I can start reading it again and get into whatever's left until Togashi went on infinite hiatus.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
You don’t remember the punch? I remember most of the Killua/Alluka-centric stuff, the punch, and that’s basically it besides the end but that’s still like 2/3 of the arc.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Last Celebration posted:

You don’t remember the punch? I remember most of the Killua/Alluka-centric stuff, the punch, and that’s basically it besides the end but that’s still like 2/3 of the arc.

It's weird. Clearly I watched it, because I remember the ending, and everything had that "oh yeah, that happened! That was awesome!" quality of something I've seen before and only vaguely remember rather than whatever reaction I have to a completely new occurrence. You'd think I'd remember the punch.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I finished watching the Chimera Ant arc last night with the gf.

I admit it, I cried during Meruem and Komugi's last moments together. When he asked if she would hold his hand, that's what got me, and everything afterwards just added fuel to the fire. I was not expecting it to affect me as much as it did, but drat. That was intense.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Chimera Ant arc definitely drags at points, but it's my favorite in terms of the climax and resolution. York Shin is my favorite overall.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Oh yeah, there were moments throughout where they really over explained stuff and dragged things out with ~significant looks~. Thankfully the overall story was strong enough to push past that filler.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

pnumoman posted:

Chimera Ant arc definitely drags at points, but it's my favorite in terms of the climax and resolution. York Shin is my favorite overall.

Same, CA had a grand scale and dramatic personalities but you always knew the King wouldn't take over the world in the end. The Phantom Troupe was more likely to murder your favs bc they really only cared about their gang. That made things more tense for me.

Pokkle was a definite "Oh poo poo" death in CA though.

Marx Headroom fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 2, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Did anyone actually think the troops was going to do anything significant?

Like if a Chrollo killed Killuas family but they no one that mattered felt threatened

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

if u dont remember pariston crying at the end what even are u

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I tend to prefer YYH as Togashi's magnum opus (not least because it was at least finished), but I think the Chimera Ant arc and its resolution probably end up being one of, if not the, strongest shonen arcs of all time.

I also think it's an incredible example of manga as a serial art form - you can practically see Togashi go insane and somehow take the scale up to 11/10 and turn the whole thing into some kind of commentary on evolution and human nature. The fact he ends it with a loving nuke is just pure batshit Nippon in its maximum glory and I loved it. The fight between Netero and Mereum is also incredible.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i dont think you need to be japanese to see nuclear weapons as the ultimate symbol of humanities hubris, destructive tendencies, and zero sum mindset when presented with an outgroup/"other"

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

That's very true, but not at all what I was talking about. I was thinking more about the dramatic tonal shift leading into the Chimera Ant arc, culminating in breaking shonen conventions pretty hard by ending the big bad with a nuke instead of beating him up

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The ant arc was definitely togashi teetering on the edge of his skill as a writer, and a good portion of the tension in the arc comes 'well how could this this story possibly be resolved'

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Tunicate posted:

The ant arc was definitely togashi teetering on the edge of his skill as a writer, and a good portion of the tension in the arc comes 'well how could this this story possibly be resolved'

And it could very easily have been resolved with the actual power of friendship, Meruem was at the tail end of his redemption arc when the fight happened. The only reason I think the nuke was used was because society as a whole demanded the Ants be wiped out and Netero was not quite enough of a badass to kick capitalism's rear end instead.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

The ants were never a real threat to humanity at large, they were always being used as pawns for political powers in the metropole(s). The true monster of the arc is industrial society

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The Ants didnt get wiped tho. There are still Ants running around as a protected magical animal or whatever the designation was called.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i would say that the villain of the arc is more the anger and animal side of humanity than anything. of giving up the core that sapient life has of curiousity and kindness and personal growth in exchange for pure power. just rather than the conventional framing of our heroes being kind and forgiving and winning a fight against a villain that has dehumanized themselves and become monstrous and then incarcerating or allowing for rehabilitation of our villain like we commonly have in shonen, we see the ants starting to overcome it instead before reaching an intersection with the human characters succumbing to it and harnessing the complete moral void it left in them to perpetuate more pain. its not just a matter of the pressures of realpolitik that drove netero to using his nuke, but the fact that it would still constitute a victory in his eyes, which is all that has ever mattered to him, hence his little captain ahab bit before he detonates it. and that inherent othering of everyone else in existence into the 3 groups of "not even possibly a viable challenge", "maybe might grow up to be a challenge one day so i will nurture them with the hunter association that i have expressly built in the image of a way to farm for gudfites", and "someone i can have gudfite with" is supposed to show you that netero had in fact not only been a horrible monster and not a man this whole time, but had been so for MANY DECADES, and as i mentioned, literally reshaped the world in his ideology of letting anyone with potential become a powerful sicko with no social obligations or repercussions for their actions in the hope that they would one day grow into being an interesting fight for him. every single time a character offhandedly does something hosed up and gets away with it, the viewer is supposed to think "wow what a hosed up world where people with crazy powers can just be insane for no reason" and the series starts showing you those instances very early on, and netero's backstory and fight with meurem are the payoff explanation.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I don’t disagree with most of what you said, but I don’t think Netero considered the Poor Man’s Rose to be a victory cause he did tell Meruem his name before setting it off.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Having just rewatched the Chimera Ant arc, I can confidently say that the arc was about the power of gamers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Having just rewatched the Chimera Ant arc, I can confidently say that the arc was about the power of gamers

excuse me but it was clearly about an octopus wanting to be a squid so badly that he befriended literally everyone