Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
I think I'll stick with project d2 and plugy for now, until something as good gets modded.

Infinite stash, and they FIXED THE MAGGOT LAIR.

The only thing I would be interested in is a proper volume mixer. In the old game you cannot play just the music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

captain innocuous posted:

they FIXED THE MAGGOT LAIR.

please elaborate

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
idk about project d2, but other mods have doubled or more the width of the entire maggot lair and it still feels claustrophobic, but it doesn't literally break pathing/ai etc.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

My solution to maggot lair pathing issues:
1) play sorc for starter character, use teleport
2) get rushed by sorc friend through act 2 for all other characters

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Lagomancer4lyfe

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

If he summons lagomorphs, I'm in.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

THE BAR posted:

If he summons lagomorphs, I'm in.

If my screen is not totally covered in skeletons and summons then why the gently caress even play?

FPS is a disease than can only be purged by summoning more minions and exploding bodies.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Skeletal lagomorphs, then?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

No idea if it’s viable later in the game, but I always loved using Necro with a poison dagger to just run up and poke enemies and watch them drop two seconds later. I love how gems add elemental damage in D2 vs the effects in D3.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the two main problems with Poison Dagger are the large number of immune enemies in Hell, combined with the 10 second duration on the Poison (compared to 2 seconds on Poison Nova) and how the various interactions with added poison on items can change the duration to make it worse

but other than that, the fact that poison damage in D2 can kill a monster straight dead with no other input, and the damage scaling being so good on anything that's actually vulnerable, makes it a very cool/useful build

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Herstory Begins Now posted:

idk about project d2, but other mods have doubled or more the width of the entire maggot lair and it still feels claustrophobic, but it doesn't literally break pathing/ai etc.

yeah this is what pd2 did as well. i will also likely be sticking with pd2 because the qol and rebalancing changes are too good, and everyone i know who plays pd2 feels the same

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This game doesn't have much staying power for me unless I'm playing with friends, and my friends are not deep into the weeds on mods so they're all just gonna play D2R. I suspect we'll get a few months of nostalgia out of it together and then wander away to other things.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

please elaborate

Herstory posted:

Yeah, they widened the hallways slightly by a tile or two in the maggot lair, and also in the arcane sanctuary, maybe some other areas. Not enough to change the look or the feel, but enough so that more than a single creature can fit through most of the hallways. There's still some jank, like there will be a wall with a slime door that leads no-where, but I kinda like that anyway.

I think all poison damage was also re-balanced around a 2 second total duration, so it all feels much better to use.

Most classes now get a built in thematic teleport skill, making it much better to micro your army without having to lug around a teleport staff.

That isn't to say everything is perfect in PD2. For example, ALL melee attacks have an aoe, which is a nice qol change, but I feel like that radius should be slightly smaller than it is, or with a more narrow cone depending on the skill.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

bawfuls posted:

This game doesn't have much staying power for me unless I'm playing with friends, and my friends are not deep into the weeds on mods so they're all just gonna play D2R. I suspect we'll get a few months of nostalgia out of it together and then wander away to other things.

yeah i think that's what blizzard is banking on tbh, and a reason why im not super interested in it and not really expecting it to have much longevity. its fine if people want to come back and play through normal and some of nightmare and then get bored, they can play games however they want, but i feel like thats the crowd that blizzard is actively trying to attract.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

PD2 also nurfed Enigma, making the teleport a 5-charge blink skill that replenishes 1 charge every 3 seconds. That's probably about right for the item, you get some mobility and emergency blink, but you can't spam it to speedfarm.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 31, 2021

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

bawfuls posted:

Same here, my friends just aren't down for modded stuff.
Is a melee Sorc with Enchant viable at all?

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

bawfuls posted:

PD2 also nurfed Enigma, making the teleport a 5-charge blink skill that replenishes 1 charge every 3 seconds. That's probably about right for the item, you get some mobility and emergency blink, but you can't spam it to speedfarm.

yeah they re-buffed it this season, used to be only 3 charges with one replenishing every 6 seconds. it's at a pretty good middle ground now where it's really useful for stuff like singer barbs and hammerdins (which are much more viable this season) but it's not 100% necessary for every caster class, because most of them have some other form of utility teleport skill. the nerf last season, along with last wish not being used for much of anything, made Jahs pretty worthless. a lot of people wouldn't even accept jahs in trades. this season they're pretty solidly at 1.5-1.75 HR

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
Will the remake fix the amount of games you can make per hour? I used to get temp banned playing legit by doing runs too fast. It's annoying as hell 'cause when I used to bot it would just key/ip change and run for days.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

dad on the rag posted:

Will the remake fix the amount of games you can make per hour? I used to get temp banned playing legit by doing runs too fast. It's annoying as hell 'cause when I used to bot it would just key/ip change and run for days.
No one has mentioned it so far so maybe. This is one of the reasons I stopped playing bnet & went to pservers. It sucked to change cdkeys or shuffle socks5 proxies just to play the game.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

the two main problems with Poison Dagger are the large number of immune enemies in Hell, combined with the 10 second duration on the Poison (compared to 2 seconds on Poison Nova) and how the various interactions with added poison on items can change the duration to make it worse

but other than that, the fact that poison damage in D2 can kill a monster straight dead with no other input, and the damage scaling being so good on anything that's actually vulnerable, makes it a very cool/useful build

The trick with Poison Dagger is to get a source of Venom. Normally the duration of Poison Dagger will be averaged with any of your other sources of poison from gear, but Venom is special and basically combines all your sources of poison from gear into one new mega poison with a fixed duration of .4 seconds. This .4 seconds just gets added to Poison Dagger, so you get a nice big poison that lasts long enough to actually kill things that aren't immune.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
I'm thinking of making a poison nova necro for my first character on D2:R, anyone have experience with one?

I normally play summoner or bone necro for non-HC PvM and have never done a poison one. I watched MrLlamaSC's video on one and he mentioned it's a good idea to go RS and finish your points in SM after you max the 3 psn skills. Reading some guides online people say to just max CE and then BW or BP instead.

Since I won't have a dweb and definitely won't be spending actual human money on gear, I'm trying to find out which method makes the most sense. I have a feeling the non-skelli skills assume you have dweb. Any insight is much appreciated.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

soscannonballs posted:

The trick with Poison Dagger is to get a source of Venom. Normally the duration of Poison Dagger will be averaged with any of your other sources of poison from gear, but Venom is special and basically combines all your sources of poison from gear into one new mega poison with a fixed duration of .4 seconds. This .4 seconds just gets added to Poison Dagger, so you get a nice big poison that lasts long enough to actually kill things that aren't immune.

That is amazing. I kinda want to try this out instead of the lag-o-mancer. I forget, isn't there a way to reduce an enemies immunity to a point where they take damage? I might be misremembering.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mesadoram posted:

That is amazing. I kinda want to try this out instead of the lag-o-mancer. I forget, isn't there a way to reduce an enemies immunity to a point where they take damage? I might be misremembering.

if a monster has 100% or more resistance to an element, they are immune

if you apply an effect that lowers resistances against a monster that is already immune, in this case the Lower Resist curse for poison, the resistance reduction effect works at 1/5th potency

if the 1/5th effect is enough to drop the resistance 99% or less, then the immunity is "broken" and the monster can be damaged by that element again

the Lower Resist curse maxes out at -70% resistance reduction, so if the monster has between 100 to 114% resistance to poison, then a sufficiently high-level Lower Resist curse can break the immunity

unfortunately a lot of monsters have way more Poison Resist than this, so that's not going to work in a number of cases

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

gradenko_2000 posted:

if a monster has 100% or more resistance to an element, they are immune

if you apply an effect that lowers resistances against a monster that is already immune, in this case the Lower Resist curse for poison, the resistance reduction effect works at 1/5th potency

if the 1/5th effect is enough to drop the resistance 99% or less, then the immunity is "broken" and the monster can be damaged by that element again

the Lower Resist curse maxes out at -70% resistance reduction, so if the monster has between 100 to 114% resistance to poison, then a sufficiently high-level Lower Resist curse can break the immunity

unfortunately a lot of monsters have way more Poison Resist than this, so that's not going to work in a number of cases

Thank you for the explanation. Feels like Necro that is focused on poison NEEDS points in bone spells just in case.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

In this same vein, as I am a D2 idiot, how would a sorc deal with mitigating monster resistances, as they don't have curses/etc.? Can you get reduce resistances on gear? Or do i need something that has charges of that skill to use?

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Mesadoram posted:

Thank you for the explanation. Feels like Necro that is focused on poison NEEDS points in bone spells just in case.

More commonly, rely on summons + merc + corpse explosion. Corpse explosion is the actual killer and main DPS source for most necro builds.

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

In this same vein, as I am a D2 idiot, how would a sorc deal with mitigating monster resistances, as they don't have curses/etc.? Can you get reduce resistances on gear? Or do i need something that has charges of that skill to use?

Charges are far too weak. Sorcs that specialize in one element basically can't solo the game on Hell difficulty. So most sorcs either go dual element for the play through (often fire + cold), or else rely on party play. The merc can get some kills, and of course you can just teleport past some packs.

After completing quests and beating the game, specializing in one element can be fine because you just farm areas of the game where that element can shine.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

If I'm not gonna cancel my preorder I really oughta like read some poo poo or something rather than just stumbling through as I always did trying to have fun until I inevitably cant anymore because my character is ruined

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

codo27 posted:

If I'm not gonna cancel my preorder I really oughta like read some poo poo or something rather than just stumbling through as I always did trying to have fun until I inevitably cant anymore because my character is ruined

Now they have the ability to reset your points and tree. Granted it is not infinite but it will prevent newer players from loving themselves over in nightmare/hell

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There are two ways to reduce elemental resistances:

1. Conviction, a Paladin aura that can also be found on a high-level runeword
2. the Lower Resist Curse from Necromancers, which you can kinda sorta get as charges on an item if you're willing to do back-and-forth weapon swaps and eating the gold cost of recharging the item

The first method is rather difficult to get if you're not already a Paladin speccing into Conviction anyway.

The second method... only works in niche circumstances because even if weapon swap inconvenience and gold cost for recharging was no problem, lots of immune monsters have such high resistances over 100 that the LR won't be enough to break the immunity

___

Sidebar: Conviction does not include Poison damage, but Lower Resist does. The Amplify Damage and Decrepify curses also reduces physical resistance, which makes it pertinent to other classes, but not the Sorceress

___

As a more broad discussion:

* it's only in Hell that a monster is always immune to at least one element, but Nightmare is good up to level 75-ish, so there's a LOT of game to play even before getting to Hell (though I guess rushing is a thing)

* the only real way to avoid getting stymied by a monster that's immune to your primary element damage is to have a second one. Since your primary attack/primary element is usually going to eat 60 points after the main skill plus synergies, then ideally your secondary element should be something that can do a decent amount of damage with a single point, or with a 20-point investment

* it's been a while, but to my knowledge, Frozen Orb usually fits this bill for Sorceresses - so you can do something like dumping 60 points into Fireball and its synergies, then 20 into FO, and then you use FO whenever you run into a Fire Immune

* obviously, FO at 20 points (or a Barbarian's 1-point Berserk, or a Paladin's 1-point Vengeance for Physical Immunes) isn't going to deal nearly as much damage as your main attack, but the other aspect to it is that it's fine if you're not playing /players8 - if you're soloing, and the monster HP is set to a 1-player game, using FO to kill a Fire Immune Fallen is going to be more than enough

* and if you are playing with even just one more person, then ideally that second person is going to have a primary attack that's of a different element than yours, and you cover for each other, and ditto for larger groups

* finally, when you're "farming" the game, you'll get to learn that there are certain dungeons and certain zones with the near-highest-level monsters for the best loot, and you can predict the monster mix, and you can choose which one you can go to where everyone is vulnerable to your primary attack. For example, the Ancient Tunnels in Act 2 Hell will NEVER have a Cold Immune monster, making it ideal for a Blizzard (or something) Sorc, or the Mausoleum only ever has Lightning Immune monsters, so character that do NOT use Lightning can farm that dungeon.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Mesadoram posted:

Now they have the ability to reset your points and tree. Granted it is not infinite but it will prevent newer players from loving themselves over in nightmare/hell

Don't you need to be able to farm the respec things from hell bosses? So if you use all 3 before you're good enough to beat all the bosses you're kinda still hosed.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Suburban Dad posted:

Don't you need to be able to farm the respec things from hell bosses? So if you use all 3 before you're good enough to beat all the bosses you're kinda still hosed.

completing the Den of Evil quest gives you a respec from Akara, so that's three for a character with zero farming

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

gradenko_2000 posted:

completing the Den of Evil quest gives you a respec from Akara, so that's three for a character with zero farming

That's the 3 I'm referring to in my post. I'm just saying that if a new person respecs a couple times (as they may very well need to do being new) before being able to end game farm bosses in hell then they may have burned all their chances outside of starting another character to farm them on.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
There are things calls essences which allow you to respec

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
For new players - there is nothing wrong with putting 10-20 points into Energy at the start of the game if you’re constantly running out of mana. I know the try-hard min/max guides say any points into energy are a waste but I don’t find frantically shuffling mana pots from inventory to belt in the middle of a firefight to be an enjoyable experience.

Can someone explain why 20 points into Frozen Orb is better than 20 points into Blizzard as a backup cold element attack? Frozen orb requires 3 more pre-requisite skills to unlock

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 2, 2021

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

INTJ Mastermind posted:

For new players - there is nothing wrong with putting 10-20 points into Energy at the start of the game if you’re constantly running out of mana. I know the try-hard min/max guides say any points into energy are a waste but I don’t find frantically shuffling mana pots from inventory to belt in the middle of a firefight to be an enjoyable experience.

Can someone explain why 20 points into Frozen Orb is better than 20 points into Blizzard as a backup cold element attack? Frozen orb requires 3 more pre-requisite skills to unlock

Frozen orb looks cool as gently caress, that's why.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

INTJ Mastermind posted:

FO is a lot more straightforward to use - point-and-shoot

Hauki
May 11, 2010

It’s been a longass time, but I thought FO was also better than Blizz if you didn’t invest in synergies to support it.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Frost works fine in practical play. A2 might merc can easily solo cold immunes you must kill (static/telekinesis spam help too early on). You can teleport past the others.

Lit is good in general too, but it really shines once you can get a conviction merc weap.

Fire really struggles with this in lots of areas. It's the worst solo hell pvm spec due to immunities & resistances. Fireball is insane damage and really fun to play but hindered by this.

The larger strategy is to do areas that work well for your element. Cold wins out here due to a2's ancient tunnels in the lost city for the first hours of reset & a4 chaos sanc after (altho lit is good in cs too.)

There are some hybrid builds like blizz+nova (best 1p hybrid at higher levels, but lit with good gear is way better & blizz with bad gear is better in human friendly areas/8p), blizz+fb (ok), fo+lit (also a good solo hybrid build & people really love lit sorc so it's probably the most popular hybrid), meteorb (garbage due to competing global cooldowns) that work in 1p games but under perform in 8p games vs a pure element.

I'd personally say go with a fun early game skill (fireball / charged bolt / frost nova+static / nova+static) and then reset into blizz when you are killing too slow, get bored of it, or are at 30+ for the easiest time. If you are dedicated single player you can take a bit different approach and enjoy the frozen orb life. Honestly, d2 is pretty flexible which is part of why people like it. The only overpowered ability is teleport.

You can have a lower resist charge wand on weapon swap and it helps somewhat.

Merc is the way to go for soloing immunes you must kill. Insight weapon is good enough. I guess you could use some random unique too, but eth 4os polearms aren't that hard to drop/roll and even non-eth is good enough in 1p game. They got rid of iron maiden so mercs don't even really die anymore if you use teleport enough. Bosses don't instantly murder them now either.

Another thing to consider is the builds speed runners use, but they are under leveled & under geared & stop playing the character after baal / hell ball die and you probably won't be doing any of those things. Still, you can learn a whole lot watching speedruns because if it works under time constraints it still works with all the time in the world.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Frozen Orb delivers its damage faster and has a lower cooldown. It works fairly well at low points. Blizzard requires a larger point investment to get rolling and to really blizz you should be using ice blast/maybe glacial spike but gspike sucks imo. Blizzard completely dwarfs frozen orb's damage potential if you invest points into the frost tree, but it doesn't matter because in 1p games frozen orb drops everything until well into hell.

The main issue is blizz with lots of points does insane 8p damage comparable to blessed hammer while frozen orb's damage caps way lower & its synergy sucks. But for a lot of the game, you don't need the extra blizzard damage and you can't afford it with most hybid specs anyway.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 3, 2021

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I'm so glad this thread exists to get real info I didn't know without the incel screeching about the Amazon and Assassin's faces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

There are two ways to reduce elemental resistances:

1. Conviction, a Paladin aura that can also be found on a high-level runeword
2. the Lower Resist Curse from Necromancers, which you can kinda sorta get as charges on an item if you're willing to do back-and-forth weapon swaps and eating the gold cost of recharging the item
Do these stack?