Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

KillHour posted:

Someone on Bimmerpost had their M3 come off the same ship, go through the VPC and get onto a truck to their dealer in like 2 hours or something crazy like that. Mine still says at the port so I'm hoping they just didn't get to it yet and it's not because it has damage that needs repairing or something.

I would avoid driving yourself nuts checking it every 5 minutes. Just assume it will take a few days at minimum. Your dealer should be able to tell you what the estimated dealer arrival date is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

kill me now posted:

I would avoid driving yourself nuts checking it every 5 minutes. Just assume it will take a few days at minimum. Your dealer should be able to tell you what the estimated dealer arrival date is.

I was told by both my broker and BMW Genius that there won't be an ETA until the car is released for transport, so that's basically right before it gets there. Seems completely useless to me, but what do I know?

I'd call the dealer, but the broker said not to.

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I will send Steven Cho STRAIGHT to your house

Did they end up adding on an ADM? I was debating between going through them vs BMW Portland and would prefer Kuni just because of location. Plus, they seemed to be not-assholes from when I was looking at a used M340 there.

kill me now posted:

For my region right now the percentages of G20's are as follows for vehicles in any state from order bank to inventory
~76% are 330's of all types
~21% are M340's of all types
~3% are M3's of all types

You are only seeing the 330's in stock because those are what are actually in stock and available by the time they hit the showroom. The M3's and M340's are getting ordered or sold before they arrive.
10% of all 330's are showing sold
25% of all M340's are showing sold
91% of all M3's are showing sold

Right now there are only 4 unsold M340's showing in my region. They get ordered for inventory and wind up getting sold off the order sheet at some point in the 2-3 month time between order and delivery because of the demand for them.

In short the new vehicle market is completely hosed up right now, especially for desirable cars. If you actually want a car, put your order in now and deal with the wait. It isn't going back to normal any time soon and the longer you wait the longer it will take to get your car.

This was super interesting. Thanks for sharing. And yeah, I should really just suck it up and order.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

KillHour posted:

I was told by both my broker and BMW Genius that there won't be an ETA until the car is released for transport, so that's basically right before it gets there. Seems completely useless to me, but what do I know?

I'd call the dealer, but the broker said not to.

Wait, your lease broker is making you pick up the car from the dealership? They aren’t bringing it to you directly?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

kill me now posted:

Wait, your lease broker is making you pick up the car from the dealership? They aren’t bringing it to you directly?

I live about 7 hours away from the dealership. The broker said I'd have to pay to have the car transported if I wanted it delivered here.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Good news: it's at the dealership!

Bad news: I still have to wait a week to go there :negative:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
That’s a whole week for some dipshit salesman to sell it out from under you!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

AirRaid posted:

That’s a whole week for some dipshit salesman to sell it out from under you!

No jury in the world would convict me for what would happen after that.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

I took delivery Saturday.

I'm convinced that the front end looks worse in photos since so many people are filming and shooting with go pros and smartphones, which usually have a wide (24mm or wider) focal length that can distort the front end and make it appear more bulbous and exaggerated than it really is. At a more portrait-friendly focal length it looks more normal.

The clutch and shifter are fine? Seemed to be a lot of complaints about BMW shifters earlier in the thread that had me worried. I'm not sure if the G80 changed things up, but the clutch feel, despite being a little light, is good? The shifter, though not as mechanical as the C7, feels perfectly fine. Moving into gear requires a good amount of force and the feedback is more notchy and satisfying than I was expecting.

Carbon buckets are the bees knees. I'm 5'11" and 190lbs and they fit really well. Do recommend.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 30, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I didn't get the buckets because I'm both a lard rear end and ridiculously tall in the torso (6'3" with a 31" inseam) but I'm jealous of people who can pull it off. Enjoy!

Shifter was fine but not nearly as notchy or direct as my focus so I feel like why bother having two manual cars where the faster one feels worse, you know?

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

I didn't get the buckets because I'm both a lard rear end and ridiculously tall in the torso (6'3" with a 31" inseam) but I'm jealous of people who can pull it off. Enjoy!

Shifter was fine but not nearly as notchy or direct as my focus so I feel like why bother having two manual cars where the faster one feels worse, you know?

I feel that. I kind of wish I had gotten the ZF auto, but my other 2 cars are utility vehicles and last time I went with an 8-speed auto for my "fun" car (my first GS with an 8L90 auto, similar to the ZF in a lot of respects) I missed having 3 pedals.

The interior is glorious in it's orange-ness and I also recommend it to any prospective BMW orders.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I ended up with the blue on yellow but the orange was a close second. Good job.

Those seats really are cool...

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Man the carbon buckets are loving cool

Congrats!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Those seats are amazing, good choice.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Seats look awesome. Have you done any longer mileage in them? Any issues?

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Residency Evil posted:

Seats look awesome. Have you done any longer mileage in them? Any issues?

No long distances yet, I never really drive anywhere. They honestly "feel" like any other car seat, completely adjustable and very comfortable. When I ordered, the dealer didn't have any m3s in stock but did have an m8 with these same seats (and a really great black/red/blue color that we don't get on the m3), so I got to try them out before ordering.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KillHour posted:

Those seats really are cool...
:monocle: amazing!

Still not over the front end despite seeing several of these in person but hey at least you don't have to look at it when you're sitting in the car :v:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Those seats are amazing and you definitely made the right call on them. They are the kind of thing that become mythic lore in ten years time after the next generation comes out. Everyone will want them even when people who had them say they didn't fit right.

these were the option M Performance seats for the E9X M cars. I think they were 3-4 grand or so when they were release.

If another set ever comes back in stock? Be prepared to skip some house payments

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

They were loving poo poo and I once sold one for £500 and now I’m very angry about it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Those seats are amazing and you definitely made the right call on them. They are the kind of thing that become mythic lore in ten years time after the next generation comes out. Everyone will want them even when people who had them say they didn't fit right.

these were the option M Performance seats for the E9X M cars. I think they were 3-4 grand or so when they were release.

If another set ever comes back in stock? Be prepared to skip some house payments

This is why I'm curious about the BMW buckets. The secret with the Porsche buckets (at least, IME) is that they:

1. Look incredibly cool
2. Are incredibly comfortable seats once you get in to them (I did a 10 hour drive without problems)

BUT:
1. Your wife/girlfriend will hate them.
2. They're still not a real track seat.
3. Getting in/out is just enough of a pain in the rear end that it'll become an excuse for you not to take the car.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If they don't come in red why would you even buy them

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Blame Pyrrhus posted:

I took delivery Saturday.

Congrats, enjoy it in good health!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

rscott posted:

They do.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

kimcicle posted:

Congrats, enjoy it in good health!

rscott posted:

Because they come in orange which is wonderful!

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Bape Culture posted:

They were loving poo poo and I once sold one for £500 and now I’m very angry about it.

This brought a tear of joy to my eye

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Mods

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
M340's are going for ~$70k out the door with the Dealer Price Adjustment now

At some point you just gotta embrace the buckteeth and go M3

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ahahahahahaha suckers

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Jesus gently caress lol

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Good loving lord a frozen edition e92 just went for $84k on BaT

In my news, rip to my loving sunroof cover fabric, hopefully I wont need to take the whole thing apart to try and re upholstery adhesive it

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Yeah but it is not every day that you get a collab car between BMW and Disney

for real that is worth the price though. It is basically brand new, and being the 6MT (even though it is Not A Great gearbox) will hold value into the future. Brand new it was 80 grand. Considering inflation and all I say it was a good buy.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Somewhat Heroic posted:

for real that is worth the price though. It is basically brand new, and being the 6MT (even though it is Not A Great gearbox) will hold value into the future. Brand new it was 80 grand. Considering inflation and all I say it was a good buy.

I think that's a good perspective. The holding costs (fees, maintenance, cost of capital) are non-trivial for something that was only driven 7-8k miles

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

My dude I think you misunderstand capital if you think someone who bought this and drove it >10k miles had to give any thought to the "cost of capital" for it.

Though I agree it's not an outrageous price for the car itself given condition and options and rarity.

I'll edit instead of double posting.
Did the VRSF charge pipes and J pipe on the Comp this weekend.

The carbon brace is even lighter than you imagine.

What the gently caress BMW.

Whatever. Came with new, not-stupid hardware.

2 hours hood up to cooling system bleed, being VERY careful. (not counting a beer and locktite run)
[Even if it takes 30 minutes, having the DME bleed both pumps simultaneously is so much better than the "cross fingers" approach I've always had to take.]

These things are easier to work on than m20s or s52s lol. The packaging is annoying sometimes but not "gently caress YOU" impossible like the older cars. Thanks, modern CAD/CAM!

However, this has caused me to do the research necessary to realize my car has a factory locked DME (8/19 build). Ugh.

Mileage count: 9667.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 2, 2021

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Trying to decide whether to pour more money into my E92 328i.

I've owned it for about 2 years now, it's a rare one: 6MT, xDrive, M-Sport, Le Mans Blue, basically all the stuff I wanted with this car. But it's getting up there in miles: 105k. And I love this thing, but it guzzles gas, and I continue to feel bad about not driving an electric car.

I've put probably 3k into it over my ownership so far. Right now it needs an intake manifold gasket (I think,) brake fluid, ground strap. It also needs a ton of paintwork, probably 2.5k worth. Realistically I am looking at putting another 4-5k over the next couple years of my ownership for a 10 year old BMW with 105k miles...

My other option is just to drive this thing into the ground and sell it sometime next year and put that money into a different car. I feel like I could sell it off in its current state for like 9k. Depending on job stuff I would probably buy a Tesla.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

My other option is just to drive this thing into the ground and sell it sometime next year and put that money into a different car.

This is probably the smart option right?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Yeah I'd drive it more in to the ground solely due to the paintwork. The rest is pretty straightforward stuff to take care of. Intake manifold gasket is technically DIYable if you're so inclined and the parts are cheap. Taking off the intake mainfold is a slog but it's not technically hard and you can do it in your driveway with the hood open. Good news is that you get access to the brake fluid reservoir at the same time, and you can clean the throttle body and poo poo too while you're at it. I suppose the downside is that you have to disconnect the fuel rail so there's gonna be some gasoline spill, it's a big slog, and you need to be careful about dropping poo poo in the intakes.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
The irresponsible answer is that if you're taking off the intake manifold, you should just swap in a three stage intake and tune it, since you're doing half the work anyway.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Sounds like the perfect candidate for a track car. Strip the interior, cage it, and go racing. Buy the Tesla anyways. There's always room for one more car in your life right?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Diametunim posted:

Sounds like the perfect candidate for a track car. Strip the interior, cage it, and go racing. Buy the Tesla anyways. There's always room for one more car in your life right?

brother man lives in :wrongcity: so no, there is not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I've put probably 3k into it over my ownership so far. Right now it needs an intake manifold gasket (I think,) brake fluid, ground strap. It also needs a ton of paintwork, probably 2.5k worth. Realistically I am looking at putting another 4-5k over the next couple years of my ownership for a 10 year old BMW with 105k miles...
I'm no expert but isn't this due for a full gdcs refresh in the near future?