Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Does buying the STI wing fix the torque dip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Godzilla07 posted:

My impression of the current WRX is that it only really sells to Subaru loyalists. Anyone who had the money for a Golf R bought that instead, and everyone shopping in the price bracket that the WRX lives in decided that they could compromise on either the manual or AWD.

That's essentially what my calculus was. I test drove a '19 series grey to potentially replace my 2011 to see if it was worth compromising on the hatch. It wasn't. Which left the Civic Type R, Veloster N, and Golf R since I wasn't ready to compromise on the manual.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

dissss posted:

The frustrating thing is all the bits appear to be there already, they just aren't all available in one car.

I remember saying this about the NC Miata. Mazda had the DISI engine from the Mazdaspeed 3, all they had to do was put it in the NC. :negative:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

BloodBag posted:

I remember saying this about the NC Miata. Mazda had the DISI engine from the Mazdaspeed 3, all they had to do was put it in the NC. :negative:

Project Ugly Horse even showed the engine would bolt to the NC MIata transmission too. All the pieces are there.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Coredump posted:

Project Ugly Horse even showed the engine would bolt to the NC MIata transmission too. All the pieces are there.

It gets worse. The NC1 Miata transmission is the same as the RX-8's. So RX-7 engines can bolt up. Plus the NC1 and RX-8 subframes are identical, so you can also just bolt the entire front subframe of a RX-8 into a NC1, engine and all.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

McTinkerson posted:

It gets worse. The NC1 Miata transmission is the same as the RX-8's. So RX-7 engines can bolt up. Plus the NC1 and RX-8 subframes are identical, so you can also just bolt the entire front subframe of a RX-8 into a NC1, engine and all.

Yeah it would get much worse if you bolted in an RX8 engine :v:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Japanese manufacturers are still in the mindset of "we don't have to offer a compelling sports car we just have to offer the parts to build a compelling sports car yourself" they've had since the mid 90s. Same excuse Toyota gave with the Nu Supra of "we're just providing the platform for you to build on."

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
See this is why mid 2000’s Subaru was the best. While Toyota was the fun police putting a boat anchor in their sports car, Subaru was railing a line of granola off a golden retriever and sticking their biggest turbo motor in a compact sedan, wagon, SUV, pickup thing, full size sedans and wagons, and lifted wagon.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The Forester and Outback just aren't the same cars they used to be, even if you stick a WRX/STI drive train in the current models I don't think I'd be interested.

God my 2002 Forester was such a great car.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I’ve owned 5 Subarus and when it came time to sell my 16 WRX, I just got tired of the direction things were going so I went German as well.

If I ever do get back into one, it’ll be a Hawkeye STI but those things are already being priced at comical levels...25K for a decent example just isn’t worth it.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I'm really hoping for the new WRX to be great, just because there are almost no MT 4-doors that are fun to drive anymore, and as a parent that's what I want.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

M3, CT4-V Blackwing, Veloster N, Golf GTI, Civic Type-R, G70 off the top of my head. Obviously most of those aren't in the same price bracket as the WRX but you take what you can get.

Yes, I know the Veloster technically has 3 doors

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
add the CT5-V Blackwing, (although neither of those are out yet), and Golf R. Pretty sure G70 6mt is dead.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Technically can't add the Golf R till sometime next year unless you buy used.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Pretty sure G70 6mt is dead.

It is yes. The 2.0T / 6mt is no longer offered in any market for the G70.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
It’s not a manual, but the Audi RS3 is everything I wished an STI could be. The dimensions are pretty much on par with the hawkeye I used to own and the power is perfect. It is more front biased which is a bummer and the seating position isn’t as good, but it’s the closest thing I can find to a modern STI that isn’t whatever massive thing they’re building today. It’s the first auto I’ve ever owned which was an adjustment, but the DCT is pretty good and really comes alive when hustled on proper roads.

Jealous as hell of our Euro friends that can get it as a 4 door hatch though, the new one looks even better.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm not really sure what you mean by "massive thing". The STi is only 4.5 inches longer than the RS3 and the same width.

While there's no denying the RS3 is a nice car, you could buy a new STi AND a new beater Impreza 5 door for the cost of the RS3.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 2, 2021

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I’ll have to dig up some pictures as I sold the FA WRX sitting side by side to it. It’s noticeably smaller, and my first reaction sitting in it was “wow, this feels tiny”.

Dynamically, it’s much easier to throw around compared to the current gen STI I test drove as well. I’m not the most technical person so I don’t know why/how, but from a fun to drive perspective, it felt way more alive and engaging than the modern FA WRX or STI. Maybe it’s just a perception thing, I don’t know!

It’s definitely an expensive vehicle no doubt. It’s my daily and only car and I drive the piss out of it but it’s tickled me in ways my nostalgic memories of the Hawkeye did.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Thought this was interesting:

quote:

I extracted the data from the dyno plot that was shared earlier (from the youtube video). I converted it to HP/LB-FT and combined it to a single plot to make it easier for us American's to comprehend

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=46623779#post46623779

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Me: “GM’s torque management is the worst in the world.”

Subaru: “Hold my beer.”

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Pretty similar to a K24 but with the power shifted left a little bit.

But what is meaningful to me is that it is AP2 S2000 peak power except 20-30ftlb more everywhere. Similar weight too. Pretty good.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
and now the agony of picking the perfect aftermarket wheels for the brz

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

Grams CR57

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

BraveUlysses posted:

Japanparts.com has the JDM BBS/STI wheels: https://www.sti.jp/parts/subarubrz_zd/wheel/

https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/?id=62993

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

TC105X

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

TE37's look great on literally everything :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

Ronal teddy bears

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

Ronal teddy bears

Re-barreled Mazda 121 Koalas.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Powershift posted:

Ronal teddy bears

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Steelies with knobby off-road tires and a small lift.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Advan GT?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
thank you for the suggestions, serious or not, but i'm leaning towards these

i dont really want to go with super wide wheels and extra grippy tires because i miss having a car you can slide around a bit.

i would like to throw some nice high end all seasons on whatever i buy and save the stock wheels/tires for summer or track use since the car comes with michelin ps4s.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BraveUlysses posted:

thank you for the suggestions, serious or not, but i'm leaning towards these

i dont really want to go with super wide wheels and extra grippy tires because i miss having a car you can slide around a bit.

i would like to throw some nice high end all seasons on whatever i buy and save the stock wheels/tires for summer or track use since the car comes with michelin ps4s.

Those look good on any car, great choice

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

someone needs to do a floater version of the ronal bear so the bear is always pointed upwards

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Today I learned that the Corolla Cross is a thing. Please kill me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nohearum posted:

Today I learned that the Corolla Cross is a thing. Please kill me.

who cares?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I mean, it seems kind of inoffensive compared to the Eclipse Cross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The "Eclipse Cross" is so much more blatant and sad. "Corolla" has been stuck on all sorts of vehicles including 4WD lifted wagons.
Eclipse is a sports coupe.