Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

FogHelmut posted:

This looks dangerous.

Maybe pick another saddle for World Naked Bike Ride day but otherwise you're safe. That saddle was a total rear end hatchet for me though, so may be dangerous in other ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Oh sorry I guess I should forget the entire exchanges in July where they didn’t answer for weeks at a time too

Have you considered adjusting your expectations?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

bicievino posted:

Have you considered adjusting your expectations?

9 weeks to still not have an answer on if they’ll replace or repair bib shorts is a reasonable expectation for you?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

9 weeks to still not have an answer on if they’ll replace or repair bib shorts is a reasonable expectation for you?

Is De Marchi known for having a generous repair policy? Having worn/damaged stuff sent back to be repaired isn't a thing I would even expect to be accommodated unless advertised.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

bicievino posted:

Is De Marchi known for having a generous repair policy? Having worn/damaged stuff sent back to be repaired isn't a thing I would even expect to be accommodated unless advertised.

FAULTY ITEMS
Faulty items can be returned within 24 months for repair or replacement. In the event that this is not possible, we will offer a refund.

The chamois in these bibs is glued in place and it’s coming undone.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

FAULTY ITEMS
Faulty items can be returned within 24 months for repair or replacement. In the event that this is not possible, we will offer a refund.

The chamois in these bibs is glued in place and it’s coming undone.

Sounds super annoying to deal with, best of luck to you.

In case you are not familiar with it, the 24 month guarantee is a legal requirement in the EU. Companies have different internal policies on how they put this into practice. Some will be very generous, basically accepting any claim that gets submitted. This happens more with premium brands that care a lot about customer satisfaction and their brand or with online retailers that care more about revenue growth and repeat business than their margin.

Others may try to get out of the claim, e.g. by saying that the product was not faulty when they sold it to you and try to put the burden of proof on you.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

sweat poteto posted:

That saddle was a total rear end hatchet for me though, so may be dangerous in other ways.

Me too. Thankfully I wrapped the rails in electrical tape, the labels in cling-wrap, and was able to return it as unused.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

serious gaylord posted:

Does anyone else see a Canyon Aeroad in an article or advert and immediately start humming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI_Jl5WFQkA

or is it just me?

I don't really want/need an aero bike but would absolutely get aeroad just because that song goes off in my head every time I see the name

Shame about all the problems with the new one

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Heliosicle posted:

I don't really want/need an aero bike but would absolutely get aeroad just because that song goes off in my head every time I see the name

Shame about all the problems with the new one

If anything the handlebars falling off and the seatpost snapping makes the song fit even better.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

serious gaylord posted:

If anything the handlebars falling off and the seatpost snapping makes the song fit even better.

Unexplained crashing is a matter for the courts.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Was washing my bike and found this pitting/gouging on the chain stay (aluminum)

Is this bad enough that I shouldn’t ride the bike?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

No it's fine.

Apr 7, 2003

Thanks, dumb question but I’d rather ask dumb questions than ride on something that might fail in a bad situation.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Gravel strike isn’t it?

If the look of it bothers you then duck tape it :)

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Hi everyone! I'm looking to actually use my bicycle that my sister got me like 2 years ago. I've already got it tuned up so that's not a problem, but I'm trying to figure out what all I'll need to ride this down to campus and back and maybe on some trails or whatever?

Here's what I have:
1. The bike.
2. A decent MIPS helmet

Here's a picture!

Here's what I know I need and would appreciate recommendations for if possible!
1. Lights
2. A lock
3. Maybe a bag or something to go on the rack I guess
4. Perhaps a repair kit even though i wouldn't know how to use it? I dunno!!
5-?. Anything else you can think of that I might need that I do not have!!!

I'd appreciate any and all recommendations! I'm a kind of broke grad student but I'd like to be able to ride my bike at least at dusk or maybe night. I have a lab to keep my bike in on campus for the moment but I know I'll need a lock if I wanna take it anywhere else. I'm getting a $50 gift card to Amazon soon, so if I could find one of the things on there at least that may help. I also have an REI and a few cycling shops local to me too since I actually live in the city.

Also if anyone has tips for city riding that would be amazing <3 I know to use hand signals and to like wear a helmet but that's pretty much it lol

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Was washing my bike and found this pitting/gouging on the chain stay (aluminum)

Is this bad enough that I shouldn’t ride the bike?

Nah that's just what chainstays look like in my experience

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Look Around You posted:

Here's what I have:
1. The bike.
2. A decent MIPS helmet

All you need to go riding on top of this stuff to help out in the wild - some tyre levers, a set of hex wrenches, a pump and some spare inner tubes. Also practice changing the tubes over - best to work out the difficulties at home in the warm rather than out in the cold and wet if that's the first time it happens!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Look Around You posted:

Also if anyone has tips for city riding that would be amazing <3 I know to use hand signals and to like wear a helmet but that's pretty much it lol

The opening posts of the commuting thread has some advice on sharing roads with cars, locking up, and rain gear:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933970

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The best value for money locks right now are onguard, the gold and platinum rated are a fraction of the price of kryptonite and have a much better keyhole protection system. :)

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
I went to a bike shop and bought their recommended starter bike (plus helmet and lock). Haven't been on a bike in 20 years and did 0 research beforehand, so no idea how this will go. It's a Batch 700cc Lifestyle, large.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
I hope you enjoy your new bike.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I got some good poo poo today

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

ElMaligno posted:

I got some good poo poo today

Obviously, but we can't see what is in the LEGO bag!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
My rear shift cable has broken. Bike has internal routing so it sounds like I’m going to be cutting some housing to fix this.

Do I need one of those cable cutting tools (like Park Tool’s CN-10) or will standard wire cutters be totally alright?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Depending on how new your housing is, you could consider leaving the housing in place and just sending a new cable down through it.

Apr 7, 2003

My rear Gravel King+ slick is worn to the cords after 1300 miles. Sad!

Wife’s look fine, I’m probably just too fat for these tires.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

Depending on how new your housing is, you could consider leaving the housing in place and just sending a new cable down through it.

Yeah the bike is coming up on two years old and I’m kind of surprised this happened at all. I’m going to also contact the LBS where I bought it and see if it’s a warranty item.

Otherwise I think I’ll leave them in place then, thanks!

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

eeenmachine posted:

Obviously, but we can't see what is in the LEGO bag!

Its the lego technic rescue hovercraft, amonf other things my wife got.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

tuyop posted:

My rear shift cable has broken. Bike has internal routing so it sounds like I’m going to be cutting some housing to fix this.

Do I need one of those cable cutting tools (like Park Tool’s CN-10) or will standard wire cutters be totally alright?

If you need to cut new housing, you must use the bike-specific cable cutters.

I used to use standard wire cutters, it would take an additional 10 minute to unfuck the crushed inner lining and the outer layer would always split in a few months where it got squashed by the cutting. It's just not worth it.

I have the Birzmann ones now; they're inexpensive and fine.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

tuyop posted:

Yeah the bike is coming up on two years old and I’m kind of surprised this happened at all.
Cables are wear items. Housing too.

Apr 7, 2003

CopperHound posted:

Cables are wear items. Housing too.

Everything on a bike is a wear item when you think about it. Including the frame.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

tuyop posted:

Yep, no need to move the outer. Also the best outer cutting tool is a $10 ~dremel.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have Knipex cable cutters. They also have a feature you can crimp the ferrules with.

They cut quite nicely but you have to be quick. Cut the cable as fast you can, and you get a clean cut. Cut slowly, it becomes a mess.

These: https://www.bike24.com/p28492.html

They were the only available in stock item in Finland.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The park tool cutter is one of those really nice quality of life tools and I bet you end up using it on way more things than just bike bits

It's pricey but mines had so much use I'd definitely say it was worth it

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

tuyop posted:

Yeah the bike is coming up on two years old and I’m kind of surprised this happened at all. I’m going to also contact the LBS where I bought it and see if it’s a warranty item.

I've never replaced any internal housing on my bikes since the cables seem to work absolutely fine regardless. A shifter cable snapping is quite rare but does happen, and won't be a warranty item. It will cost about a tenner in parts and maybe at most an hours labour to fit if you don't want to do it yourself.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

After changing some internally routed cable housing on my mtb with curvy geomatry wow let me tell you I'm never getting a internally routed bike again.

unless the housing is routed through only straight lines

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I had to change a brake housing recently, but that was also after nearly a decade of use in all weather conditions.

hemale in pain posted:

After changing some internally routed cable housing on my mtb with curvy geomatry wow let me tell you I'm never getting a internally routed bike again

It's a ton easier if you use one of the magnet tracer things

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I had to change a brake housing recently, but that was also after nearly a decade of use in all weather conditions.

It's a ton easier if you use one of the magnet tracer things

The parktool picks have super strong magnets you can also use to pull wires through the frame, and they're really useful in general (not just for bike stuff)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Google overlocker/serger tweezers. Curved and meant to fish around for thread - I’ve used them on bikes many a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Or just attach the new housing to the end of the old housing (or use a piece of string or cable if it's not continuous) so you just have to pull the old one out and the new one through?