Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

PT6A posted:

When I posted my local NDP candidate, everyone was like "oh ho ho! looks like a Young Conservative to me!" because he... was wearing a blue suit jacket?

So, yeah, there's really no pleasing some people.

The disheveled fella is probably a dead ringer for the alternate reality Trotsky who had access to the world wide web in all fairness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Blood Boils posted:

Why not help them out with some/all of those things?

Because it's not my job?

Knowing nothing of how political parties work (uhh, bunny? Help?), I imagine the NDP have a staff of people who are paid money by the party to win elections. Don't the training and campaign assistance, or at least, a handbook or something about how to campaign, come from them? I'm good on the mic because I learned how as a kid and practiced a lot, but I'd be friggin mental to take those skills into a candidates' debate without specific knowledge about that environment that I lack, and would have no idea how to foster in someone else.

The riding association is, of course, a mostly-volunteer force. It's those guys who go around canvassing and hammering in signs to get knocked over and dumped in the woods. I'll cop to my choice to not join them, mainly because there's no point in my afterthought of a riding. The whole Martine Cenatus thing (which was largely not her fault) really turned me off, and I can imagine some of the other constituents who voted in someone who was basically thrown naked into the ring were equally-surprised when they found out what had happened.

Jordan7hm posted:

The issue is that presentation is important for a good chunk of voters. Now this guy may be in an unelectable riding anyway so it doesn’t matter, but it goes back to the whole thing about the NDP not seeming to want to actually win elections.

He seems ok from the podcast. That green tarp behind him though, lol.

I have that same green screen. You're supposed to iron it.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I think this is overthinking it anyway.

Almost no one gives a poo poo who the candidates are in a riding unless a party leader or cabinet minister is there. Or if they're particularly awful.
People vote for parties, not candidates. Which is maybe unfortunate but that's how it goes. Basically every vote is whipped so it's almost irrelevant.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Fidelitious posted:

Almost no one gives a poo poo who the candidates are in a riding unless a party leader or cabinet minister is there. Or if they're particularly awful.
People vote for parties, not candidates. Which is maybe unfortunate but that's how it goes. Basically every vote is whipped so it's almost irrelevant.

Yes. Do not forgot that the last orange wave had a woman who didn’t even live in her riding or speak French very well win in Quebec and she wasn’t even there to confirm that win because she was in Las Vegas.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Fidelitious posted:

I think this kind of defeatist thinking is endemic to the NDP and the left in general, and creates a circular logic whereby people don’t want to invest time or effort in losers, but i also don’t care enough to volunteer my time to help break that cycle so i recognize it’s on me too.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

Yes. Do not forgot that the last orange wave had a woman who didn’t even live in her riding or speak French very well win in Quebec and she wasn’t even there to confirm that win because she was in Las Vegas.

To her credit Ruth-Ellen Brosseau became a legit good parliamentarian, won the 2015 election, and is running again now after losing in 2019. She turned out to be a good politician we all didn’t expect her to be after the Las Vegas scandal.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
"Don't be defeatist, just volunteer the time that you literally don't have because you work two jobs to pay rent."

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Arivia posted:

To her credit Ruth-Ellen Brosseau became a legit good parliamentarian, won the 2015 election, and is running again now after losing in 2019. She turned out to be a good politician we all didn’t expect her to be after the Las Vegas scandal.

Yeah the way she turned that around was incredible. It's a shame the bloc made a comeback after Singh.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Jordan7hm posted:

The issue is that presentation is important for a good chunk of voters.

Meanwhile, a bigger chunk of voters just finds their party on the ballot and puts an X beside whoever's name has that affiliation and a good chunk of people who vote don't even know who their current MP is and wouldn't be able to ID them in a line-up photo. People are probably better at identifying local realtors than MPs.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
My current MP is a brown haired white lady I absolutely could not pick out of a lineup. She's also one of the most back-bench of backbenchers and the only reason I'm reminded that she exists is she sends out a mailer once per quarter to inform me of all the absolutely nothing she's doing in parliament.

OTOH, I did not vote for her.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

This is the NDP candidate in a nearby riding to me

If he doesn't win it'll be a tragedy.

crispyseaweed
Sep 21, 2008

InfiniteZero posted:

Meanwhile, a bigger chunk of voters just finds their party on the ballot and puts an X beside whoever's name has that affiliation and a good chunk of people who vote don't even know who their current MP is and wouldn't be able to ID them in a line-up photo. People are probably better at identifying local realtors than MPs.

Makes sense then that a lot of candidates are in real estate!

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Saalkin posted:

Jagmeet needs to resign and let this guy take over the party. He has the cheery disposition and the moustache that have been sorely lacking since Jack Layton passed away.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Fidelitious posted:

If there ever is electoral reform in this country we should have party lists instead of individual riding candidates because of this.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Do this, but for candidates. Vote for my party, because I'm 93rd on the list and need your support to unlock my position.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/here-s-what-restaurant-operators-are-saying-about-ontario-s-new-vaccine-passport-program-1.5570765

Lol loving hell, so Ontario can't even get a QR code system up and running in time for their vaccine passport system to go into effect. Just carry your proof of vaccination paper or PDF around with you because things like codes are hard, folks. I blame Trudeau.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I live in Vancouver East which is a guaranteed NDP seat until the heat death of the universe, and Jenny Kwan requires no assistance by me to win, so instead I've donated some money to the Vancouver Granville candidate, who may have been a longshot were it not for the fact that the Liberal Candidate turns out to have been a home flipper. Now I feel the NDP candidate at least has a shot and gently caress me if that home flipper guy wins during a housing crisis and I didn't lift a finger to help.

The NDP candidate is Anjali Appadurai, a young (first time?) politician. She is Climate Justice Lead at Sierra Club BC ·which seems like good enough credentials for me. As we've seen with Ruth Ellen Brosseau, you can be a newbie outsider without a lot of experience and still work hard and do a good job in parliament.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Saalkin posted:

Hell yeah, I'm all aboard Team Mustachioed Dipper.

To be fair, he's actually a really strong candidate. Former president of Metis Nation of Saskatchewan, executive director of an essential non-profit in Saskatoon's core.

https://robertdoucette.ndp.ca/

He's in a very competitive riding, and I really hope he wins.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Bleck posted:

"Don't be defeatist, just volunteer the time that you literally don't have because you work two jobs to pay rent."

Quit those jobs scarface from half baked style

flakeloaf posted:

Because it's not my job?

Knowing nothing of how political parties work (uhh, bunny? Help?), I imagine the NDP have a staff of people who are paid money by the party to win elections. Don't the training and campaign assistance, or at least, a handbook or something about how to campaign, come from them? I'm good on the mic because I learned how as a kid and practiced a lot, but I'd be friggin mental to take those skills into a candidates' debate without specific knowledge about that environment that I lack, and would have no idea how to foster in someone else.

The riding association is, of course, a mostly-volunteer force. It's those guys who go around canvassing and hammering in signs to get knocked over and dumped in the woods. I'll cop to my choice to not join them, mainly because there's no point in my afterthought of a riding. The whole Martine Cenatus thing (which was largely not her fault) really turned me off, and I can imagine some of the other constituents who voted in someone who was basically thrown naked into the ring were equally-surprised when they found out what had happened.

I have that same green screen. You're supposed to iron it.

Right, it's not a job it's volunteering, you get to choose your level of engagement; I'm a constant disappointment to my old lady/young dude coordinators lol, so what

But you do have some expertise! The green screen thing you mention - that alone would be helpful!

When they tear down your sign, you go back and put up 2 :getin:

Jordan7hm posted:

I think this kind of defeatist thinking is endemic to the NDP and the left in general, and creates a circular logic whereby people don’t want to invest time or effort in losers, but i also don’t care enough to volunteer my time to help break that cycle so i recognize it’s on me too.

Yah honestly my handful of commie & ML friends struggle with this even more than my fellow succdems

Not the anarchists tho, they're always super pumped to support the Greens lmao idgi

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

The NDP candidate is Anjali Appadurai, a young (first time?) politician. She is Climate Justice Lead at Sierra Club BC ·which seems like good enough credentials for me. As we've seen with Ruth Ellen Brosseau, you can be a newbie outsider without a lot of experience and still work hard and do a good job in parliament.

I’m in the exact same boat as you, and agree that the Granville riding has a fighting chance. Any east van goons who are thinking of volunteering or donating, that’s the riding to push for.

I would also take a newbie politician whose heart is in the right place over an “experienced” lawyer or whatever every time. Politics is a fight for distributing resources and if all your connections come are in the elite, be it business or corporate, you will be influenced in the wrong direction.

The biggest myth is that you need to be a genius to deliver things to the people. Doing good is not intellectually difficult, it’s pretty clear what the average person needs for their lives to improve. It’s being a neolib who tries to balance business needs with legitimate needs of everyday people and the need to then sell austerity that takes some heavy thinking and mental gymnastics because that poo poo doesn’t make sense to begin with.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

flakeloaf posted:

Okay, and how many of them are university students or recent grads with no idea how to campaign, no budget, no support and no plans to attend the debates and contribute to the discussion in any way?

All of the parties are full of these people, hth

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

ARACHTION posted:

I’m in the exact same boat as you, and agree that the Granville riding has a fighting chance. Any east van goons who are thinking of volunteering or donating, that’s the riding to push for.

I would also take a newbie politician whose heart is in the right place over an “experienced” lawyer or whatever every time. Politics is a fight for distributing resources and if all your connections come are in the elite, be it business or corporate, you will be influenced in the wrong direction.

The biggest myth is that you need to be a genius to deliver things to the people. Doing good is not intellectually difficult, it’s pretty clear what the average person needs for their lives to improve. It’s being a neolib who tries to balance business needs with legitimate needs of everyday people and the need to then sell austerity that takes some heavy thinking and mental gymnastics because that poo poo doesn’t make sense to begin with.

This is my riding and I have seen absolutely no presence from her. I haven't gotten a call, a canvasser or a flyer. She's having some "meet with voters" events per her website but they are all in-person. I'd appreciate even a video where she introduces herself or something.

I'll probably vote for her because the other options are terrible but it would be nice to feel like I'm voting for someone rather than not voting for other people.

Goosed it. fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 2, 2021

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Plus as a terminally online goon you can offer willingness to engage in meme warfare

A highly questionable skill to be sure, and my own suggestion to tweet "this ain't it chiefs " at Dumas and Setee for libbing it up at Jagmeet's presser was shot down and the campaign won't let me near the official account but whatcha gonna do

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

ARACHTION posted:

I strongly believe a lot of people currently in parties like the LPC (and especially the CPC) are of neoliberal persuasion and just different on the degree to which they think they should apply it on the world. Having said that I think a lot of politicians started their lives out as human rights lawyers, grassroots activists, community leaders and even union leaders and I think as they ascend the political ladder they get exposed to all kinds of crap that comes with the job that pushes them in the neoliberal direction despite their personal politics.

Once you enter politics there's a lot of pressure from forces that will grind you down into a neolib direction because that's who they all are. The ones who can most feasibly get access to you also control vast segments of your economy and if you don't do what they say, there are consequences. We saw what those consequences looked like in the Bob Rae government. There's this text based political simulator game on Steam called "Suzerain" that I feel realistically portrays what it might be like to be the leader of a country where the various functions of your party, your government and its military are all doing their own thing and you somehow have to balance them with your own ideology to avoid losing an election or getting killed. That's the thing we're missing here, if you aren't already an upper class political dynasty or businessman you will find yourself needing the co-operation of people like that just to move things along.

Like I'm not a China stan but look at what's happening now that they're cracking down on rich people and tech companies in particular. Chinese stocks are crashing hard and it's causing economic disruption that's super easy to convert into negative press against your government in non-authoritarian democracies. Those with the most money and the most entrenched interests in the neoliberal status quo have power to make or break governments in the west.

I don't think it's enough to be a person who wants to make people's lives better to be able to politically overcome neoliberal inertia. You need a narrative and a media ecosystem that reinforces and signal boosts your narrative.

Tech companies have a monopoly on internet based information sources and are experts at using their algorithms to push misinformation and alt-right narratives that are breaking every western democracy in the world right now. This is nothing new. In 1848 you had left wing and right wing printing presses spamming anyone who can read with their political narratives. In many ways it was a much more analog and slower way of doing the same thing that we're doing on the internet now with no way to quickly and independently fact check things. So basically if you controlled a printing press you could reliably build a movement around your propaganda and that is what happened. Then depending on which side was politically ascendant they would forcibly shut down or destroy the opposing press.

In modern times using force to stop press you disagree with is unnecessary. Your interest group simply buys whatever news org you need and you get to decide what prints and what people get to see...

Case in point:

https://twitter.com/MalindaSmith/status/1184661402599882753?s=20

Is it any wonder that the Toronto Star got bought out by a hedge fund then? Can anyone care to guess who they might endorse this election (I have a feeling it won't be the NDP).

So you want to do the right thing? You want to end neoliberalism? It won't happen through will alone... it won't even happen if you become prime minister with a majority. You have to control public opinion. You need fanatics and die-hards in sufficient numbers who will do what they're told to execute the plan. But most importantly, you need to control the narrative. In this decentralized and privatized universe of internet and legacy media, the narrative is already firmly under the control of the wealthy and they decide what people think. I strongly believe that a true soc-dem or socialist has to have authoritarian, manipulative, Machiavellian and ruthless traits to survive. It can't all be hippie kumbaya bullshit. That's for the cameras and for the townhalls. Behind the scenes you need people to march in lockstep with the movement and you need to replace public servants and media organizations with those who are loyal to you and you alone. Only then can you get the work you need done without having a conservative media discredit your entire government and hold it responsible for everything from bad weather to willful insubordination from the private sector. The private sector can deliberately sabotage your economy and spike unemployment because they have the financial resources to wait out your 4 year term. You do not have the "political capital" or public support to deal with 4 years of economic crises and unemployment because business won't fall in line with your policies.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 2, 2021

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
O'Toole's CANZUK proposal is genius. I haven't been too worried about the Tories, but that's the kind of thing that could sway the soft-headed center. It covers everything they love: it's a free-trade deal, Canadians love the idea of being "worldly" without learning another language, and it allows a kind of neoliberal identity exclusive of America.

Flocons de Jambon fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 2, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What exactly does BC gain by not announcing their COVID-19 press conferences until barely 2 hours before they begin?

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Femtosecond posted:

I live in Vancouver East which is a guaranteed NDP seat until the heat death of the universe, and Jenny Kwan requires no assistance by me to win, so instead I've donated some money to the Vancouver Granville candidate, who may have been a longshot were it not for the fact that the Liberal Candidate turns out to have been a home flipper. Now I feel the NDP candidate at least has a shot and gently caress me if that home flipper guy wins during a housing crisis and I didn't lift a finger to help.

I'm in the same boat, living in Edmonton-Strathcona so it's the little orange dot in a sea of blue. The current MP Heather McPherson doesn't need much help this time around, but there are plenty who do. I've donated some to Blake Desjarlais, the NDP candidate for Edmonton-Griesbach. Anything to get rid of Kerry Diotte.

Also, those anti-vaxx/mask/lockdown/Trudeau marches we've been seeing at the hospitals? Guess we know who to blame now: https://twitter.com/MichelletypoQ/status/1433326038193303553 The whole thread just has me shaking my head.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

A very good post

Very true. Any sincere leftist approach will be severely punished and sabotaged by capital who have the capacity to create crisis, blame leftist policy for it and outlast the consequences to play another round.

This kind of thinking though puts me into the nihilistic frame of mind that derailed either this thread or the other for days and I refuse to believe that I cannot create positive change around me in our system.

On a personal level, it really helps alleviate feelings of doom to participate in activism that you feel can have a measurable difference. For me it used to be volunteering for the NDP, until I realized how truly disconnected they are from the working class and how tightly the elites of the party control all that goes on within it.

Therefore my stance to electoral politics is vote the least bad option. Otherwise, I think effective activism would be to get involved on a riding level when party nominations occur by vote.

Otherwise, union activism has actually delivered in creating workplace solidarity and improving real working conditions for my coworkers and I would encourage anyone working in a union to get involved if they can, after reading a healthy dose of Jane MacAlevey :).

As for system-wide nihilism, The Ministry For the Future by Kim Stanley Robinson has helped me most with seeing a potential future where everything we love is perhaps not destroyed by capital and its effect on the environment.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Lars Blitzer posted:

I'm in the same boat, living in Edmonton-Strathcona so it's the little orange dot in a sea of blue. The current MP Heather McPherson doesn't need much help this time around, but there are plenty who do. I've donated some to Blake Desjarlais, the NDP candidate for Edmonton-Griesbach. Anything to get rid of Kerry Diotte.

Also, those anti-vaxx/mask/lockdown/Trudeau marches we've been seeing at the hospitals? Guess we know who to blame now: https://twitter.com/MichelletypoQ/status/1433326038193303553 The whole thread just has me shaking my head.

https://twitter.com/trevor_writes/status/1433397867415228420

Man, if something comes out that someone got hosed over cause of these blockades I hope heads roll literally - im sick of this poo poo .

E:

https://twitter.com/MichelletypoQ/status/1433338033516933121

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 2, 2021

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Lars Blitzer posted:

Wait, how do we know that two of them were fired for being in the Jan 6 riot? I'm genuinely curious.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/cdnpoli_memes/status/1433510121867464710?s=20

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Randalor posted:

Wait, how do we know that two of them were fired for being in the Jan 6 riot? I'm genuinely curious.

Cause they loving are PROUD of it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/AnnamiePaul/status/1433518738679214084

"oops"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
There's been a lot of accidental Liberal endorsements this time around, I have to say.

I get why they're poo poo, but given this... I do see why they do decently with people who aren't paying constant attention to the details.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Greens be greening

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Normy posted:

This was announced Monday so I'm sure you'll see the website updated soon.

https://twitter.com/abigailbimman/status/1432479645161590784?s=21

How many of them are landlords?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
My wife is a nurse at VGH and was working last night (thankfully after the protests had ended). Her department already has low morale and a lot nurses are feeling burnt out. She said then when she got to work there were a few nurses crying and all her co workers were talking about how the protest made them feel either hated or unappreciated.
Now I see postings on Facebook about how the event was organised by nurses and it just makes me feel sick. I know that the so called nurses everyone is pointing to are a bunch of conspiracy nut jobs who shouldn't be in charge of looking after a pet rock but the fact that they can be used by plague lovers to say "nurses support us" is disgusting.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I really feel for health workers right now, it's complete bullshit that the cops are defending them.

We need to stop calling this an anti Vax movement, it is a fascist movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Another Bill posted:

I really feel for health workers right now, it's complete bullshit that the cops are defending them.

We need to stop calling this an anti Vax movement, it is a fascist movement.

The far right used the anti vaxx and anti lockdown sentiment and went turbo on organizing and recruiting. Too bad no leftist institutions did the same, but when they block hospital access, facilitated by the cops (if they did not make arrests, they facilitated it), then when is the time to take to the streets against them?