Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Brain Curry posted:

so it will smell the same

Eyyyyyyyyyy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's always runny in philadelphia

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Pepperoneedy posted:

LMAO the dam up the road could fail

https://twitter.com/MCpublicsafety/status/1433305413739483138

It's been there since the late '20s and it would be nigh catastrophic if it were to give way
hahahah

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

wolfs posted:

this is confusing me too on some level-
New York Citys core is an island, and then all around it is the Hudson and that other river- is it just that everything is so covered in concrete and asphalt, that while it is raining, theres no infiltration happening once the man made stormwater gutters and stuff fill
up?

Yeah cities that are surrounded by water generally don't flood, you got it exactly right

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

the lobby of my building in queens (and im 100ft above sea level, near the top of a hill) flooded, the ceiling of the garage I park in collapsed, and it looks like there was a river going into it last night. car is okay though

it rained so much the loving brick facade leaked in my apartment, and Im on the sixth floor.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

the loving brick facades

will begin detaching from the walls their glued to and fall down on top of things

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Tree Bucket posted:

This apocalypse is providing some incredible content.

this is just the warmup too

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

This is fine

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i am harry posted:

will begin detaching from the walls their glued to and fall down on top of things

lmao my building JUST finished local law 11 work too; i didn't think the contracting company did a great job... part of their work was all of the exterior window brickwork lol

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

SpaceCadetBob posted:

News coming out of more than one household straight up drowning in their homes in Queens last night

Death toll is at 9 in the North East which surpasses the 7 deaths currently tracked down south from when Ida first hit.

A buddy in the Bronx barely got out alive last night. Basement apartment but not in a really low area. Around midnight water rushed in and rapidly filled his place. He only had time to grab his cat and get out. By the time he got out, the water was at his chest. He lost literally everything except his cat and his phone.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

:patriot:

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Lawlicaust posted:

A buddy in the Bronx barely got out alive last night. Basement apartment but not in a really low area. Around midnight water rushed in and rapidly filled his place. He only had time to grab his cat and get out. By the time he got out, the water was at his chest. He lost literally everything except his cat and his phone.

holy poo poo

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Lawlicaust posted:

It's okay I've seen this movie before - he's about to get another basement apartment in a really nice neighborhood real soon

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

The drainage on the whole street had backed up and was rushing around all the houses. He managed to get his keys on the way out but theyd been underwater and the electric key wouldnt work and he didnt have time to try and get in the car while carrying the screaming huge cat. So he ended up having to wade up the street til someone came to get him.

Sounded loving terrifying.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Lawlicaust posted:

Ah gently caress that sucks

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

One of the restaurant i worked at barely survived covid and took out the ppp loan to survive and do some simple renovations. Now the basement kitchen is flooded and hosed. lollolololololol. NYC is back and open for business baby.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
NYC almost broke its daily rainfall record in one hour last night. 7.1 total yesterday, the previous record was 3.8 :stare:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

ughhhh posted:

One of the restaurant i worked at barely survived covid and took out the ppp loan to survive and do some simple renovations. Now the basement kitchen is flooded and hosed. lollolololololol. NYC is back and open for business baby.

from the lols I take it you aren't working there anymore

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
https://twitter.com/Instacart/status/1433411352916201482?t=uqFm6rWPtZ6ADkqS6YdTTw&s=19

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

glad your friend and cat are safe

hope the landlord drowns

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Can someone explain to me how this caught everyone off guard? Like why didn't city/state government know seem to know it was going to be so extreme and send out warnings before? It seemed like they only did that after it showed up.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Shneak posted:

NYC almost broke its daily rainfall record in one hour last night. 7.1 total yesterday, the previous record was 3.8 :stare:

that's one third of the yearly rain total here, in one hour lol

:rip:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

glad your friend and cat are safe

hope the landlord drowns

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Palladium posted:

from the lols I take it you aren't working there anymore

I sell produce from farms upstate there and other restaurants in nyc. But half the produce this summer got ruined by the insane rain this season. So lmao.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

ricecult posted:

Can someone explain to me how this caught everyone off guard? Like why didn't city/state government know seem to know it was going to be so extreme and send out warnings before? It seemed like they only did that after it showed up.
Ignored the National Weather Service who basically called this over 24h out

edit: also it's worth mentioning that this in many ways was an unprecedented event in it's size and scale for the region. Nobody pays attention to flash flood watches and warnings here. Maybe they will now

shyduck has issued a correction as of 15:15 on Sep 2, 2021

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

ricecult posted:

more money to be made on the cleanup than prevention

our governments are broken, dta

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Diblasio was busy still trying to get ppl back to the outdoor concert in Central park

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

ricecult posted:

you forgot to factor in that the usa is a failed state

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
good luck openeruppening any further if the subways dont work!

the rain probably saved lives in the medium term

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

This was around 26 hours ago:

https://twitter.com/NWSWPC/status/1433029393119600642?s=19

Even earlier:

https://twitter.com/NWSWPC/status/1432840821766754312?s=19

Even earlier:

https://twitter.com/NWSWPC/status/1432794223367966725?s=19

shyduck has issued a correction as of 15:21 on Sep 2, 2021

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

And here's what happened:

https://twitter.com/NWSWPC/status/1433395907123351556?s=19

They nailed it

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Yep, a real government would have made a mandatory curfew/evac by noon so that all the transit could have been closed off safely hours before this hit.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

so where does all that water go. are people just having to get used to endemic sewage in their apartments

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

mistermojo posted:

so where does all that water go. are people just having to get used to endemic sewage in their apartments
Gonna have to get sumped out, but you gotta wait for the water outside to recede some beforehand, which could take another day at least

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

mistermojo posted:

i mean it is nyc, for them living with sewage in their apartments is tuesday

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

The forecasting has been pretty remarkable throughout Ida. Think the locus of extreme rain was slightly south of where it was most likely but still within the "high" risk band.

Which doesn't really matter if nobody prepares for it!

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Edit: ugh got beat while I was gathering data.

ricecult posted:

This was the forecast from three days ago. Yes the rain ended up being higher (and the forecast amounts did go up with each new forecast), but this is a a lot of rain being forecast three days out. The potential for catastrophic flooding caught no one off guard who was **paying attention**. Check the dates.

https://twitter.com/NWSNewYorkNY/status/1432312517296939022?s=20

https://twitter.com/NWSWPC/status/1432428233656471556?s=20

https://twitter.com/NWSWPC/status/1432794120653664256?s=20

https://twitter.com/NWSWPC/status/1433029393119600642?s=20

Actual NWS Flash Flood Warnings are only issued after the rain starts falling because a warning means the threat is imminent or already happening. They are also issued for fairly small areas, targeted as best as possible to where that threat is occurring. People can get the WEA pushes in their phone, but probably a lot of people turn that off.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SirPablo has issued a correction as of 15:32 on Sep 2, 2021

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Yep, a real government would have made a mandatory curfew/evac by noon so that all the transit could have been closed off safely hours before this hit.

but dat's authoritarianism

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Raine posted:

you forgot to factor in that the usa is a failed state

all of our institutions (the ones that are left anyway) are absolutely paralyzed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/Christie_Ileto/status/1433397824541106179?s=19