Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Zacchaeus and Makhiah, siblings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
ed: disregard

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Ed Disregard is a cool name actually

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

This has a very strong "I misread this name in [sci-fi/fantasy novel] when I was a kid, and ended up liking my version better" flavour.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

From the "too much, stop it" celebrity baby name edition:

Prairie Moon, Forest Sage, Bodhi Rain, and Poet Lake.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
There's a Costa Rican footballer called Priscila Chinchilla.

It's a lot less funny if you pronounce it as it would be in Spanish, but drat if I haven't said it out loud to myself, the anglophone way, every couple of minutes for the past hour, and laughed every time.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Runcible Cat posted:

I once stunned a Lincolnshire guy by calling him a yellowbelly. He didn't expect that from a Londoner.

But yeah, that's a hell of a one. How many explanations are there for it?

I was curious and went to wikipedia. The reason folk from there are called that is after the town's coat of arms. But the reason there's a dog on the coat of arms seems to have quite a few explanations, as usual. Also Mary, Queen of Scots, was from there! Looks like a nice enough place.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
The Chargers have a rookie TE whose full name is Tre' Roosevelt McKitty.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

No relation, as far as I know.

Miscellaneous others:

Minnie Maxie
Ethene Pennypacker
Ethylene Lemons
Ethane Palmer
Wallet Buck
Owen Overcash
Price Overcash
Robin Overcash

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Minnie Maxie sounds so much like a feminine hygiene product.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I bet Wallet Buck has lots of friends

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The town I grew up in had the intersection of Butt’s Hollow Rd and Gobbler’s Knob Rd. Also a skunk’s misery rd, which was baffling.

I will buy a new username cert for anyone willing to change their handle to “bumpus jones”.

If the offer is still open...

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mechanical Pencil posted:

If the offer is still open...

Somebody already claimed it, I was waiting on a new debit card. If they don’t still want it you can have it

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Kurt Titsworth was interviewed on the latest episode of Forensic Files.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Runcible Cat posted:

I once stunned a Lincolnshire guy by calling him a yellowbelly. He didn't expect that from a Londoner.

But yeah, that's a hell of a one. How many explanations are there for it?

Well, the main story that I heard was back in the day of the Thanes/Chieftains/Whatevers there was a man accused of being a thief and the head guy in charge said 'Ok, you're guilty and for your punishment, we're locking you up on the island on Linlithgow loch and you'll starve to death.'

And a week or so passes, and the guy's not dead - so the big man thinks 'What's up with this, then?', so he gets a 24 hour watch on the prisoner, and finds out he had a dog that was so well trained, it would gather up scraps of bread thrown out by the local bakers at the end of the day and swim across to the island with them so it's master could eat.

And so touched by this show of devotion and fealty, the headman... chained the dog to the island and let IT starve to death, too. And the old coat of arms of Linlithgow shows this dog, chained to the island starving to death. And that dog was a...

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Samovar posted:

Well, the main story that I heard was back in the day of the Thanes/Chieftains/Whatevers there was a man accused of being a thief and the head guy in charge said 'Ok, you're guilty and for your punishment, we're locking you up on the island on Linlithgow loch and you'll starve to death.'

And a week or so passes, and the guy's not dead - so the big man thinks 'What's up with this, then?', so he gets a 24 hour watch on the prisoner, and finds out he had a dog that was so well trained, it would gather up scraps of bread thrown out by the local bakers at the end of the day and swim across to the island with them so it's master could eat.

And so touched by this show of devotion and fealty, the headman... chained the dog to the island and let IT starve to death, too. And the old coat of arms of Linlithgow shows this dog, chained to the island starving to death. And that dog was a...

...very good boy?

I'm gonna call everyone from Linlithgow an "oh yes you are!"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

...very good boy?

I'm gonna call everyone from Linlithgow an "oh yes you are!"

...very good GIRL, I'll have you know!

But no, the dog in question was a black bitch, a greyhound going by the coat of arms (although it could just be because said dog is starving to death on the coat of arms).

Hence Linlithgow's extremely unfortunate demonym.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Samovar posted:

...very good GIRL, I'll have you know!

But no, the dog in question was a black bitch, a greyhound going by the coat of arms (although it could just be because said dog is starving to death on the coat of arms).

Hence Linlithgow's extremely unfortunate demonym.

"Black bitches" is an awesome nickname though! I wish people from my hometown were called "black bitches" instead of "kind of classy rednecks, but not really."

Am pulling quotes for a presentation and one is by Jessica Putz.

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

...who managed to die just a few years before Crystal Pepsi would have made that name inaccurate.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Had a report from a guy last name Kiker. I looked it up because I didn't believe it was a real last name. It is. I even found a Rich Kiker which is doubly unfortunate.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
From yesterday's birthday list:
Miessa (normal last name)

And two different Kaitlyns, apparently working at the same hotel and spelling their names the exact same way. I imagine that sometimes gets confusing.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Playing Wasteland 2 right now and I'm pretty sure that guy is recruitable

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
While idly scrolling through LinkedIn, I was reminded that I used to have a coworker named Laser.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

The other day I learned that there's someone at my company with the last name "God". Certainly doesn't look like one :v:

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
It's probably been posted before, but I just learnt that the real name of Joey Cramer (the child actor from Flight of the navigator) is Deleriyes.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I just came across a book by someone with the surname Haebich. I'm sure it's a perfectly fine surname somewhere, but I can't imagine this woman had an easy adolescence in Australia with a surname like "Hey Bitch."

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Worked with a guy years ago called Sterling Blaze [lastname], he was a good dude but definitely not cool enough for his name

right now we've got an Emberlee, a Kenzie (no, it's not short for anything), a misspelled Jeremy who's a bit too old to be a victim of the creative spelling trend, and the only male Leslie I've ever known

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheKennedys posted:

and the only male Leslie I've ever known

Besides Mr Nielsen, surely

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Phy posted:

Besides Mr Nielsen, surely

Shirley Nielsen wasn't a Leslie

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TheKennedys posted:

Worked with a guy years ago called Sterling Blaze [lastname], he was a good dude but definitely not cool enough for his name

right now we've got an Emberlee, a Kenzie (no, it's not short for anything), a misspelled Jeremy who's a bit too old to be a victim of the creative spelling trend, and the only male Leslie I've ever known

I know a few 40 year old misspelled jeremy’s, it’s the weirdest thing.

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Somebody already claimed it, I was waiting on a new debit card. If they don’t still want it you can have it

Ooh, yes please!

Also, Angel Dust has been the frequent sound track to cutting fruits and vegetables at my deeply satisfying cutting fruits and vegetables job.
Your av reminded me of it's existence.

Mechanical Pencil has a new favorite as of 01:16 on Sep 2, 2021

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Lady Disdain posted:

I just came across a book by someone with the surname Haebich. I'm sure it's a perfectly fine surname somewhere, but I can't imagine this woman had an easy adolescence in Australia with a surname like "Hey Bitch."

It rocks that you think that would only be weird in Australia.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

prayer group posted:

It rocks that you think that would only be weird in Australia.

I mean, I assume it would be an issue in all English speaking countries. But the woman is Australian, and I was theorising about her actual childhood, not what her childhood may have been like if she'd grown up elsewhere.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Haebich
Don't spell it bad
Take a rude word and make it better

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Haebich
Don't spell it bad
Take a rude word and make it better

:golfclap:

(now that's going to be in my head all day)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's Anglos' own fault for somehow pronouncing tch and ch in the same way

- this post was made by Dutch-speaking gang

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
bactasha
stardust
elway
durk
derk
khaleesi (surprised it took so long to find one in the wild)
waine
hiawatha (im assuming this person is not first nations, but even so...)

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I once came across a Hiawatha in the wild. A white Australian woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cnut
May 3, 2016