Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Huh.

After going pretty much radio silent the whole Trump Presidency, Dan Carlin is back with a new episode of Common Sense.

The both sides-ism literally starts in the first two minutes, but don't worry he gets to 'things should have been done better' multiple times without the slightest hint of what his brilliant remedies are.

Honestly I expect he was always this bad, but I just didn't notice pre Hell-Timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It had already started to slip after Elliott moved to LA but I think covid finished it for me.

What happened with COVID? They were all remote from each other?

Elliot's self-promotion and self-aggrandization was what started to wear on me first. Like when he said his child would be reading comic books and watching cartoons because that was all he consumed when he was a kid, and look how things turned out for him.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Deptfordx posted:

Huh.

After going pretty much radio silent the whole Trump Presidency, Dan Carlin is back with a new episode of Common Sense.

The both sides-ism literally starts in the first two minutes, but don't worry he gets to 'things should have been done better' multiple times without the slightest hint of what his brilliant remedies are.

Honestly I expect he was always this bad, but I just didn't notice pre Hell-Timeline.

Isn't Carlin a huge libertarian? It would explain a lot.

I wish the dude would go back to doing podcasts set during ancient times as that seems to be what he is good at. Though his Pacific War series was so bad and bloated I almost wonder if he's just lost "it".

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Isn't Carlin a huge libertarian? It would explain a lot.

I wish the dude would go back to doing podcasts set during ancient times as that seems to be what he is good at. Though his Pacific War series was so bad and bloated I almost wonder if he's just lost "it".

I think he's just been severely outclassed by other podcasts at this point. He was good in the early days of podcasting, but now you've got podcasts that are in a higher league. He's like a really good minor league pitcher that is just out of his depth compared to the major league pitchers like Fall of Civilizations, Revolutions, etc.

It's like in boxing, when you have the older heavyweight going up against the newest champions. Sure he was good in his day, but the muscles don't quite work as well and the reflexes aren't a fast, he's still got a good right hook every once in a while but he's not winning in the long fight doing the same strategy he was as a young fighter.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Omnicarus posted:

It's like in boxing, when you have the older heavyweight going up against the newest champions. Sure he was good in his day, but the muscles don't quite work as well and the reflexes aren't a fast, he's still got a good right hook every once in a while but he's not winning in the long fight doing the same strategy he was as a young fighter.

:golfclap:

The past few years has seen a slew of terrific niche history podcasts that totally outclass Carlin's early work, while at the same time he's slipped more and more into Self-Indulgent History Stepdad territory. I don't see him pulling up at this point, but if he does make some sub-hour episodes on ancient history I'll still give 'em another shot.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

There was other basic stuff that grated as well with Carlin.

Like his multiple times pontificication of Afghanistan as always being known as The Graveyard of Empires. Which is historically nonsense. Or expressing disbelief that 300k ANA couldn't stop 75k Taliban when even MSM sources have been pointing out for the past couple of weeks that quite probably up to 2/3rds of the ANA were probably Ghost Soldiers (Non-existant troops placed on the books by their officers and the pay collected by them). Something that's been reported on (and previously ignored by the pundits) for years, but he seems not to either know or not care about.

Dan Carlin seems to me now as one of those people who the more you personally know about a subject. The more mistakes you spot when they talk about it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Deptfordx posted:

Dan Carlin seems to me now as one of those people who the more you personally know about a subject. The more mistakes you spot when they talk about it.

So he’s the Malcom Gladwell of history podcasts?

(Yes, I know Malcom Gladwell also has a podcast)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Deptfordx posted:

There was other basic stuff that grated as well with Carlin.

Like his multiple times pontificication of Afghanistan as always being known as The Graveyard of Empires. Which is historically nonsense. Or expressing disbelief that 300k ANA couldn't stop 75k Taliban when even MSM sources have been pointing out for the past couple of weeks that quite probably up to 2/3rds of the ANA were probably Ghost Soldiers (Non-existant troops placed on the books by their officers and the pay collected by them). Something that's been reported on (and previously ignored by the pundits) for years, but he seems not to either know or not care about.

I mean even if it was real if those 300k didn’t believe in the ANA it didn’t matter.

They were recruited with the US backing them, not the actual ANA

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The term "Graveyard of Empires" in reference to Afghanistan was coined after 9/11. There were actually plenty of empires that had no problem controlling it throughout history.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

the idea that a blabbermouth nightclub owner was a part of a deep conspiracy and took the secret to his grave even as he was dying of brain cancer is extremely dumb imo

He stopped saying much of anything after Jolly West scrambled his brains.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

So he’s the Malcom Gladwell of history podcasts?

(Yes, I know Malcom Gladwell also has a podcast)

Nobody deserves a comparison to gladwell

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Nobody deserves a comparison to gladwell

You do :twisted:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

feedmyleg posted:

:golfclap:

The past few years has seen a slew of terrific niche history podcasts that totally outclass Carlin's early work, while at the same time he's slipped more and more into Self-Indulgent History Stepdad territory. I don't see him pulling up at this point, but if he does make some sub-hour episodes on ancient history I'll still give 'em another shot.

Yeah pretty much, he’s stagnated while other podcasts have massively raised the bar. Even stuff focused on modern history like Slow Burn or Blowback is streets ahead of Carlin these days.

His politics stuff was always awful though. As a non-American, the idea that you can just hand wave and both sides US politics since at least the Reagan era seems completely insane.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Not technically a podcast but Mike Duncan's new (audio)book is good.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

uPen posted:

Not technically a podcast but Mike Duncan's new (audio)book is good.

Does he read his own audiobooks? I was curious about that.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

AnEdgelord posted:

Yeah, he does

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

"Of course I'll read the audiobook. I write things, and then read them to you. That's the nature of our relationship" - Mike Duncan, paraphrased, talking about the Lafayette book somewhere down the way

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Patrick (Tides of History) Wyman did the audiobook for his recent book (THE VERGE), too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm reading Wyman's book right now. It's alright, but I like my history books a notch or two crunchier. It essentially reads like a bunch of episodes of his podcast. Duncan's book is on deck.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Arrhythmia posted:

"Of course I'll read the audiobook. I write things, and then read them to you. That's the nature of our relationship" - Mike Duncan, paraphrased, talking about the Lafayette book somewhere down the way

I'm glad he understands this.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

How do. You even both sides imperialism when both parties love it

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

evilpicard posted:

How do. You even both sides imperialism when both parties love it

You say both sides love imperialism.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake

CommonShore posted:

I'm reading Wyman's book right now. It's alright, but I like my history books a notch or two crunchier. It essentially reads like a bunch of episodes of his podcast. Duncan's book is on deck.

Yeah, I don't regret buying it because he rules and I want to support him financially, but I put it down basically feeling like I just read a fleshed out transcript of his episodes on the topics with a little bit of connective tissue between them.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

punched my v-card at camp posted:

Yeah, I don't regret buying it because he rules and I want to support him financially, but I put it down basically feeling like I just read a fleshed out transcript of his episodes on the topics with a little bit of connective tissue between them.

That’s the curse of drat near every podcast that gets turned into a book, IMO

Exactly the same way about Greg proofs’ book, the dollop book… I never read my copy of the storm before the storm because I was buying it more to support mike Duncan than out of any interest in Rome. But I’ve definitely seen that more than otherwise.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
"Podcasters I like writing books" made me revisit John Dolan's writing which is always wonderful.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, Storm Before the Storm definitely feels like he pulled a dozen episodes of History of Rome, expanded on it and polished it up, but that was fine, it's still quite a fun ride even if you're like 'hahaha, oh it's about to get real good' and then the book ends.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Arrhythmia posted:

You say both sides love imperialism.

I mean they do? I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone pretend it’s a one sided thing

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean they do? I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone pretend it’s a one sided thing

You and I are agreeing. We're all agreeing here.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

You and I are agreeing. We're all agreeing here.

I’m not disagreeing I’m more suprised because of all the things I hear that both sides crap from I don’t think imperialism is one I’ve ever heard

I’ve seen people say sure it’s imperialism but for good! But that is a different thing

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 2, 2021

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arrhythmia posted:

Somebody on twitter asked if he'd also read the audiobook for the French version and Mike's response was "lol no."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

https://twitter.com/Patrick_Wyman/status/1433520164780183588

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Oh, that should be good

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

rotinaj posted:

That’s the curse of drat near every podcast that gets turned into a book, IMO

Out of interest, has anyone bought/read the Omega Tau book?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I bought both The Verge and Hero of Two Worlds, you can't stop me.

I bought a second copy of The Verge for my dad for Father's Day but after about a quarter of HoTW I think this might have been more up his alley. Maybe next year!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't really care if the books are good, I bought them so the dudes get money and enough sales to be allowed to write more books. I've gotten hundreds of hours of free content from them, least I can do is buy the books. I liked The Storm Before the Storm though.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

I bought both The Verge and Hero of Two Worlds, you can't stop me.

I bought a second copy of The Verge for my dad for Father's Day but after about a quarter of HoTW I think this might have been more up his alley. Maybe next year!

Who said anything about stop, I consider it money well spent

It just keeps happening.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't really care if the books are good, I bought them so the dudes get money and enough sales to be allowed to write more books. I've gotten hundreds of hours of free content from them, least I can do is buy the books. I liked The Storm Before the Storm though.

That's pretty much why I bought them too. I also tweeted a picture of the books at them and it's my most-ever-liked tweet

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Authors still get money if you purchase their audiobooks with Audible credits, right?

I know it’s a stupid question, it’s just that given how much Bezos sucks, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some fuckery like Amazon taking an extra high cut when using credits or whatever.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean I read storm before the storm and it’s basically exactly what I expected it to be. What exactly did you all expect it to be? Or want it to be I guess?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean I read storm before the storm and it’s basically exactly what I expected it to be. What exactly did you all expect it to be? Or want it to be I guess?

Who do you even think you are arguing with

The only real person who slandered that book was me and it’s because I find Rome boring, I didn’t get very far in reading it because of that. But the main point I was, and feel did make, is that lots of podcasters wind up turning scripts from their show into a book, and very often that feels less interesting than it could be. My examples being Greg proops’ podcast book, the chapo podcast book, the dollop podcast book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The End is Always Near is also Dan Carlin shamelessly rehashing material from the show.

The Last Podcast On The Left book at least had some nice art and new jokes.