Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Jose posted:

the US isn't a first world country lol

The US is the definitional first world country, if you mean the us isn't a developed country then yes lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Those videos of basement apartments getting suddenly flooded... That's the kind of poo poo that kills a lot of people.

Here's national numbers provided by NWS La Crosse.

https://www.weather.gov/arx/usflood

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Crazypoops posted:

all of our institutions (the ones that are left anyway) are absolutely paralyzed

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

love to have once a century storms hit twice a summer

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Raine posted:

you forgot to factor in that the usa is a failed state

Well I know that, but I was interested in exactly how that failure happened.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yes and it will take months to gut and rebuild all the buildings that flooded, everyone who lived on lower floors with sewage everywhere is out of the building until that happens.

i hope this doesn't get in the way of the landlords evicting them :( those landlords need that money

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

dew worm posted:

love to have once a century storms hit twice a summer

It's possible (0.1%). Now if it happens every summer

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Soon those institutions won't even bother making the unheeded warnings

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

empty whippet box posted:

i hope this doesn't get in the way of the landlords evicting them :( those landlords need that money

The landlord is Mother Nature. She's here to evict us all.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Yep, a real government would have made a mandatory curfew/evac by noon so that all the transit could have been closed off safely hours before this hit.

NYC gets localized flooding in the subways or low-lying areas all the time (e.g. Henri two weeks ago) but nobody takes it seriously - they pump it out and we go on with our lives.

Last time they shut down the city for weather it was a worthless power move by cuomo and everybody thought it was dumb.

This is literally unprecendented.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Is there a difference in who pays for preventative measures such as evacuations vs who pays for cleanup and recovery after the fact? I would imagine the latter gets more money from the federal government.

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

there is going to be a scary moment when the novelty of new jersey tornadoes ends :ohdear:

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Huh, Larry might hit the Northeastern seaboard.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

ricecult posted:

In one of his more famous speeches, former President Dwight Eisenhower cautioned against letting the military-industrial complex take over the government. When Ronald Reagan came to power, it was realized that endlessly increasing spending in the MIC could “win” the US the Cold War (since the USSR couldn’t keep up) and additionally make certain people filthy rich—especially if taxes are reduced on all that income. In the intervening decades, reducing military spending or increasing taxes has been a sure fire way to end your political tenure. But since you can’t print money endlessly to cover spending increases and income shortfalls, the US government has had to cut back elsewhere. Like infrastructure, postal services, basic science, arts, social welfare spending, regulatory agencies, and pretty much anything else that doesn’t make Dick Cheney’s hunting buddies richer.

Grundulum has issued a correction as of 16:06 on Sep 2, 2021

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

shirts and skins posted:

That monster's getting nowhere near land thankfully

monkey's paw curls

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

bowser posted:

Is there a difference in who pays for preventative measures such as evacuations vs who pays for cleanup and recovery after the fact? I would imagine the latter gets more money from the federal government.

Preventative? lol this is America, we only deal with catastrophes, from weather to energy, climate, health care. GTFO with your preventative bullshit.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

ricecult posted:

the voters demanded it

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

quote:

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul told CNN the rain was "far more than anyone really expected"

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

one thing for sure, Ida definitely hates the US :dta:

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Lawlicaust posted:

A buddy in the Bronx barely got out alive last night. Basement apartment but not in a really low area. Around midnight water rushed in and rapidly filled his place. He only had time to grab his cat and get out. By the time he got out, the water was at his chest. He lost literally everything except his cat and his phone.
Buy him an account and have him request goonfund

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SirPablo posted:

Preventative? lol this is America, we only deal with catastrophes, from weather to energy, climate, health care. GTFO with your preventative bullshit.

also if any effects take longer than 24 hours to happen after the initial event it's officially completely unrelated

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

philly got hosed bad almost anywhere near the schuylkill

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

on the upside (?) there is virtually no subway system to speak of, so nothing to get ruined there

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

7.5" rain here in SW CT last night, I have never heard anything like that. Our house is in a 'bowl' at the bottom of a hill near some major intersecting roads, we always get some standing water in the back yard during heavy rain but last night our back yard was a loving pond, I measured it 8" by the watermark on the fence. I've worried flood waters would get into our lower level since we moved in here in 2014 and it finally happened, some minor flooding I was able to clean up easily thankfully. Lost power but got it back. Sump pump was working fuckin overtime. I have to get the back yard drainage thing fixed ASAP because these storms are only going to get more insane!!! woooooo!!!!!!!

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

ricecult posted:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

also if any effects take longer than 24 hours to happen after the initial event it's officially completely unrelated

That cut you submerged in the floodwater is now necrotic and you're dead of sepsis. That was a common story among the poor back in previous storms before the healthcare system was totally hosed by covid.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Yep, a real government would have made a mandatory curfew/evac by noon so that all the transit could have been closed off safely hours before this hit.

That sounds like you don't believe in the marketplace of ideas, citizen. Report to the nearest McCamp for reeducation.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Every morning I wake up and open palm slam the SPC Day 3 Outlook straight into my eye slots

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Raritan River (major artery through central NJ) is at record height

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Rubellavator posted:

just thinking about all the people who live in NE talking about how nobody should live in New Orleans last week.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rubellavator posted:

just thinking about all the people who live in NE talking about how nobody should live in New Orleans last week.

when NOLA's sending their hurricanes they're not sending their best

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Raine posted:

the usa is a failed state

Crazypoops posted:

all of our institutions (the ones that are left anyway) are absolutely paralyzed

People look for revolutionary flashpoints anywhere we can find them but I legit think that the states almost wholesale inability to respond to these every year disasters as they literally wash/burn peoples lives away is going to be a major factor in people's trust in institutions completely breaking down. Looking forward to reading this thread and watching only the most halfassed cleanup in the following months.

caelxii
Jun 20, 2003

GoLambo posted:

Looking forward to reading this thread and watching only the most halfassed cleanup in the following months.

Those 'cleanups' will just be handouts to private companies who will never do the job and just pocket the money.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/cbouzy/status/1331784889159577604?s=20

Wow!

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

shyduck posted:

Raritan River (major artery through central NJ) is at record height

Wondering if 29 still completely and utterly floods out or if they finally got around to fixing that particular issue.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

it is my firm belief that any reasonable climate plan would include at least a 10x increase in the budget of the National Weather Service

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Luneshot posted:

it is my firm belief that any reasonable climate plan would include at least a 10x increase in the budget of the National Weather Service

lol it wouldn't matter. NWS predicted New York and PA last night just fine but no one listened or prepared. Governmental or otherwise.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

bowser posted:

MOSES built an ARK all by himself!!

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Luneshot posted:

I have a friend in California that I texted last week because I thought the fire was close to his house

Turns out he had to evacuate, but he only found out about it because he was up at 1AM watching television. When he asked the authorities why he didn't get any emergency notices on his phone, it turns out in California you have to opt-in to them

Failed loving country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Wamsutta posted:

7.5" rain here in SW CT last night, I have never heard anything like that. Our house is in a 'bowl' at the bottom of a hill near some major intersecting roads, we always get some standing water in the back yard during heavy rain but last night our back yard was a loving pond, I measured it 8" by the watermark on the fence. I've worried flood waters would get into our lower level since we moved in here in 2014 and it finally happened, some minor flooding I was able to clean up easily thankfully. Lost power but got it back. Sump pump was working fuckin overtime. I have to get the back yard drainage thing fixed ASAP because these storms are only going to get more insane!!! woooooo!!!!!!!

That's what you get for living in Fairfield County :smuggo: