Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

packetmantis posted:

Why are goons always so pointlessly, stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

packetmantis posted:

Why are goons always so pointlessly, stupidly macho about air conditioning? :allears:

When there's no crappy construction we get cabin fever and start fighting instead.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

~Coxy posted:

When there's no crappy construction we get cabin fever and start fighting instead.

Here it’s aircon, in the metal thread it’s fighting over taste, every megathread starts to poo poo in its own mouth when things are slow. ‘Tis the goon way.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

It's just the next evolution in the clowning arms race

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

the yeti posted:

in the metal thread it’s fighting over taste

What, like, how metal tastes?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Like beets apparently.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FTFY

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Sloppy posted:

Casements and awnings rule you weirdos. We've put them in 100's of projects without issues. A hung or slider will never be as energy efficient, and being able to crank them open just a little bit without using a security stick is the best.

If only the major manufacturers in the USA would offer in-swing casements....

The one thing the whole world can agree on is that horizontal sliders are the devil's window.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Ashcans posted:

Didn't we have an actual post in this thread about a guy in PA who heated his house with a coal furnace in winter and used open windows to regulate the resulting blazing heat?

When I was in high school, several of my friends houses were wood heat only. Big woodstoves with forced air that used ducting. Like central air, minus the A/C. You can't really turn them off other then to damp the fire down. You don't want it to go out. As such, you can turn down the heat but it's slow to cool down. Easiest is to crack a window to cool off a bit.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Tezer posted:

If only the major manufacturers in the USA would offer in-swing casements....

The one thing the whole world can agree on is that horizontal sliders are the devil's window.

My highschool had horizontal sliders in most of the classrooms. The urge to jump out of them was overwhelming.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"Fresh air" was an obsession. People thought the tightly-sealed Victorian houses with gas lamps were bad for your lungs, and it was vital to breathe outdoors air. You walked your baby in a baby carriage so it could get fresh air. You hung your baby out a window so it could get fresh air. (In cities full of coal smoke, but welp.)

Having windows open was good for your health, and helped prevent tuberculosis.

I was raised in the '60s, and getting fresh air was still a big deal; "go outside and get some fresh air." I still prefer sleeping with a window open. My husband and I slept with a window cracked open even when we lived somewhere that regularly had 10-below (Fahrenheit) temperatures.

I got to reading on CO2 levels in homes the other day and the Victorians probably weren't entirely wrong. I'm going to pick up an air quality meter that measures CO2 levels just so I have an idea of how good or bad the air in my house is. It is 80yo and I'm sure plenty leaky, but now I'm just curious.

https://www.co2meter.com/blogs/news/co2-levels-at-home

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Tezer posted:

What do you have against rollers? As far as operable windows go, they're simple. Sash has 2 rollers typically, maybe a couple face guides and...that's that. I'd rather work on those than single-hung windows with massive sashes that take block-and-tackle balances with a fifty-pound pull weight just to reinstall the damned thing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sirotan posted:

I got to reading on CO2 levels in homes the other day and the Victorians probably weren't entirely wrong. I'm going to pick up an air quality meter that measures CO2 levels just so I have an idea of how good or bad the air in my house is. It is 80yo and I'm sure plenty leaky, but now I'm just curious.
They weren't wrong at all, IMHO. Unvented rooms with open coal-gas lamps must have been extremely unhealthy.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
A hotel I stayed at in Spain had my favorite windows ever. Big panel, maybe 4x4. Two way operation, either tilt it or swing it. Now I can't recall if it tilted in or out or if it swung inside or out but it was very well made and brought in a nice ocean breeze.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
IIRC there were also a lot of mandates following the Spanish Flu pandemic based around windows, which is why so many older apartment buildings get blazing hot in winter (to force people to open their windows). Proper ventilation actually is healthy, as it turns out. The theatre company I worked for at my old job used an interesting heating system based around hot air rising through the auditorium, which works really well but in retrospect just means that everyone in the upper balconies (i.e., the poor people) are stewing in a constantly flowing river of miasma and farts from the rich people in the orchestra level.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Loezi posted:

If you read my post again, you might notice that I wasn't making a statement to the effect that my inside temp needs to be exactly 21c all the time :confused:

Again? They didn't read it the first time before replying.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

not to add to this derail. but it's really nice outside, temps around low to mid 50°f at night and around 70-75°f during the day. all windows and doors open because it's nice to have fresh air blowing into the house and making it feel nice.

My parents have "country air conditioning" they live in a where generally it will get cool at night, and they have a High R value house (Exterior walls are all plywood sandwiched foam). Windows get opened at night, then closed in the morning, and the house keeps the cool air in most of the day unless the drat kids open and close the doors 100 times.

In summary windows as ventilation are nice.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Darchangel posted:

Speaking as a Texan, there are approximately two months out of the year that opening windows is any way shape or form palatable, and I'm in North Texas. Further south is miserable in summer, or, as we call it, "not the two months of year that pass for winter" (mind you, winter 2020/21, aka, The Snowpacolypse, made up for several mild not-really-winters.) And I have a 1960s house that is basically designed as a rat maze, so even with the windows open, "flow-through" is not a thing. Air conditioning is a life-saving device in the South, not a convenience. I am seriously considering a mini-split in the garage just to keep it something approaching "not melting" when I work out there.

My buddy lived in San Antonio for a year or two. Two outdoor A/C units running all day. Even in the winter. 100 days of 100 degrees. It got down to 40 degrees at Christmas and all the locals considered it a disaster. It almost snowed. It was still in the 70's by noon. His windows were never opened. I don't even know if they worked. I drove from San Antonio to the Twin Cities. I left San Antonio at about 40 degrees (Antarctic cold for them) It was -10 degrees at noon by the time I hit Minnesota. The worst part of the drive are the hills in Oklahoma. They put mud down on top of ice. No salt. It's literally just dirt. I'd rather drive on the ice instead of that slime.

I live in MN so it's nice to open the Windows at night in the summer. Saves on A/C.

Also, St. Augustine is terrible grass. It's like walking on knives. I'll take Red Fescue and Kentucky Bluegrass any day.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Window chat is boring. Please stop. It's getting a bit too slap fighty for my taste.

Or make a home efficiency thread.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2029-Summit-Blvd-Pensacola-FL-32503/44655477_zpid/

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Well that makes it easy if you have norovirus I guess? :shrug:

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Easy to wash the vomit off your feet too, because they're going to be in the tub anyhow unless you're extremely short.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Let he who has not drunkenly puked and poo poo himself cast the first stone.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The theatre company I worked for at my old job used an interesting heating system based around hot air rising through the auditorium, which works really well but in retrospect just means that everyone in the upper balconies (i.e., the poor people) are stewing in a constantly flowing river of miasma and farts from the rich people in the orchestra level.

Crapper construction: a constantly flowing river of miasma and farts from the rich

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Neapolitan flavor. Though the chocolate and strawberry flavors should swap places.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Guy Axlerod posted:

Neapolitan flavor. Though the chocolate and strawberry flavors should swap places.

Just beat me to it.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Looks like they pulled that photo, I don't see it in the listing anymore.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

You did not mention that is a siamese bathroom sharing the tub but with toilets and sinks on each side.

Also the exterior of that home looks like an elementary school.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

StormDrain posted:

You did not mention that is a siamese bathroom sharing the tub but with toilets and sinks on each side.

It's also gone up for sale twice since it sold in 2009 but both times the house was just taken off the market without being sold.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wow.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

So that’s where I put my chess pieces.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

gently caress, man.
Just cut the rest of the siding into irregular shapes and own it.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

It comes around unto its own

On ac/window talk, im very glad I live in a place where its 40-60f any time of the year. We never use the gas heater and have windows cracked or open any day

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

cut my baseboard to pieces
this is the POs fault
walls are leaning
mouse feces
don’t give a gently caress bout regular cleaning

*guitar riff*

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

kitten emergency posted:

this is the POs fault
walls are leaning
mouse feces

*guitar riff*

:vince:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

kitten emergency posted:

this is the POs fault
walls are leaning
mouse feces

*guitar riff*

:perfect:

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

StormDrain posted:

Looks like they updated the pictures, removed the one I posted, and took pictures with the shower curtains up. It wasn't obvious that it was a conjoined Jack and Jill from the original pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002