Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Nelson Mandingo posted:

#8. Telesto. Because it's the besto. And when we say "The Final Shape", we're talking about Telesto.
Break the new patch. Hotfix a new shape, make the shape from an obscure mod, find the patch's limits, break out of the damage limit, find a mod, break the ttk from its mod, eat the boss, eat the mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Kith posted:

One time I made a fan design for some exotic gloves that did exactly that. I got death threats from Reddit over it!

your avatar makes so much sense now

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
So after running Lake of Shadows for far too many times I got a rocket launcher with demolitionist and explosive light which isn't too far off this seasons pinnacle weapon.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I got that new rocket launcher with tracking module and explosive light. What a beauty. I was excited until I realised explosive light is currently worse than simply getting vorpal.

Oh well. I vaulted it and will hope for a buff down the line.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The final shape is going to be that the guardian is telesto, forever a gun.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

DancingShade posted:

Yeah I got that new rocket launcher with tracking module and explosive light. What a beauty. I was excited until I realised explosive light is currently worse than simply getting vorpal.

Oh well. I vaulted it and will hope for a buff down the line.

This is still one of the most disappointing things for me this season. Was looking forward to that rawketlawnchair being a new workhorse for me :smith:.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

RocketRaygun posted:

Honestly, I don't think Luke Smith was that bad. Sunsetting sucked, but it was actually a really good fix to the power creep problem.

the “power creep” problem was really just a pinnacle weapon power problem. Imho they could have kept all the old weapons and just occasionally reissue them with new perk pools to entice players to grind for new god rolls

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Sunsetting was just sneaking Destiny 3 on us. Pinnacle Weapons had nothing to do with it since they got nerfed & also most of them are now back in the game under new names and even more powerful

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm just annoyed they put in sunsetting and I'm still getting the same guns and armor I got at launch. No I do not want this annual skate guys. I never used it before and refreshing the perks hasn't changed that, I just pause a little longer before dismantling it.

And why don't they sunset blue gear, gently caress off with that garbage. Rework the engrams so world drop low roll legendaries are the new blue, and primes get the purple engram.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Blues should only drop for a bit when you make a new character, otherwise its right in the trash with em. Like its almost not worth it to me to bother turning in the mats to Banshee at this point.
Also who the hell designed the mask on the Europa warlock hood, its totally a penis.
At least I have the goofy rear end Lightkin Cover, which I adore.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

DreadUnknown posted:

Also who the hell designed the mask on the Europa warlock hood, its totally a penis.

A welcome change from all the vagina ones they have

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mesadoram posted:

Almost got that final mod unlocked, can't wait to use the Sleeper again. Also, how are they buffing the Arbalest?
From what I read it's getting innate anti-barrier, like Eriana's Vow.

Which means you won't be able to take advantage of the unstoppable mod with it, but you could pair it with a heavy LFR and have both anti-barrier and anti-unstoppable while getting the advantage of Particle Deconstruction on both.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I wish Umbral Engrams stacked in your inventory like destination materials instead of eating your engram slots, it gets annoying when you need to go to the HELM every 30 minutes just to clear out your engrams.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Man, I'd love to have that problem this season. Feels like they nerfed the Umbral drop rate to 25% of what it used to be. And there are actually many great uses for Umbrals this season!

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

the “power creep” problem was really just a pinnacle weapon power problem. Imho they could have kept all the old weapons and just occasionally reissue them with new perk pools to entice players to grind for new god rolls

That's actually the plan going forward; they mentioned it in one of the TWABs.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Are Overrides on rotation now? Trying to do Last City on alt for the golfball and only Moon Override is available as far as I can tell

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Collateral Damage posted:

I wish Umbral Engrams stacked in your inventory like destination materials instead of eating your engram slots, it gets annoying when you need to go to the HELM every 30 minutes just to clear out your engrams.

lol drat I wish I had that problem.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Toozler posted:

Are Overrides on rotation now? Trying to do Last City on alt for the golfball and only Moon Override is available as far as I can tell

Yeah, last week was Europa.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

JerikTelorian posted:

That's actually the plan going forward; they mentioned it in one of the TWABs.

That's great but I would still need to regrind all of my poo poo if I came back

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
So I did the last ascendant quest for stasis l, found the little things, shot them w salvangers, went to the zig, talked to the guy, got the quest complete message and the pop up about some new power giving you the icicle spikes you can throw and the whole visual of mission complete. Nothing in my quest log anymore

I have yet to see an icicle since clearing vog and doing some NFs and I only have 3 fragment slots or whatever instead of 4. Nothing new to equip either in aspects or shards.

What am I missing? Is this a known issue

My friend I did it with same issues.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

You can scroll the aspect list left/right, it’s probably on the next page.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

This was the other thing, they nerfed the problematic weapons alongside sunsetting them, so sunsetting was never a necessary or even good solution to power creep. The obvious answer was always what they’ve committed to doing now, which is just issuing nerfs to weapons and/or perks that are too strong individually, and there was never any good excuse for sunsetting armor. It was nakedly a way to put an expiration date on your gear and to paper over any balancing issues.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pirate Jet posted:

This was the other thing, they nerfed the problematic weapons alongside sunsetting them, so sunsetting was never a necessary or even good solution to power creep. The obvious answer was always what they’ve committed to doing now, which is just issuing nerfs to weapons and/or perks that are too strong individually, and there was never any good excuse for sunsetting armor. It was nakedly a way to put an expiration date on your gear and to paper over any balancing issues.

End result is I don't care about grinding anything in the game anymore, there's no point to it. Just use whatever the game gives you and set up builds based on exotic gimmicks. Exotics get nerfed but at least you can continue to use them in all content. Sunsetting armor was a giant gently caress you but if it means I don't feel any motivation to max out my stats anymore that's fine by me.

It's kinda liberating, being a filthy casual.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I feel like they nerfed heavy drop rate. Might just be confirmation bias...

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

It wasn't just Pinnacle Weapons but also the people (dads) who just found a Blast Furnace they liked and used it for literally everything and had no impetus to look at the loot pools of any new content. Stuff like Palindrome and Shayura's Wrath were designed under the Sunset regime and now that it's gone we have these forever viable stat monsters that bring us back to the same problem: the only way to make people grind for upgrades/sidegrades is to create guns in their archetype of equally juiced stats with equal or better perk combos.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't have a problem with them sunsetting equipment from content that isn't even in-game anymore, since this isn't D1 where the game only got bigger. Sunsetting is kind of necessary with the Content Vault approach, or else you're gonna have meta guns whose method of acquisition is 'too bad, should have been playing years ago'. The problem was that they did too much. They should have just sunset the Y1 stuff and looked toward sunsetting Forsaken gear when Witch Queen comes out. I miss my Hammerhead and Ringing Nail, but if they hadn't been sunset already I'd say that in six months would be an okay time for them to go.

I would not be surprised however if the community routinely tries to push them into a direction where strong, must-have guns could only be acquired from playing well in certain windows that are now closed. The parts of the Destiny community that doesn't complain about FOMO are people who regularly expresses this passive underlying cry for something that allows them to be smug. It's why you regularly heard about no endgame content until hard mode VOG came out and was too tedious for most people. People want content that's too hard for the entire playerbase to accomplish, but not so hard for them and their friends, that also rewards them something they can lord over strangers at the tower.

Basically, men only want one thing and it's disgusting Gjallerhorn.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 2, 2021

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Seasonal Mods (must use Bows & Fusions this season) and interesting new perks/combos are the temporary solution until the next form of Sunsetting occurs

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Eej posted:

It wasn't just Pinnacle Weapons but also the people (dads) who just found a Blast Furnace they liked and used it for literally everything and had no impetus to look at the loot pools of any new content. Stuff like Palindrome and Shayura's Wrath were designed under the Sunset regime and now that it's gone we have these forever viable stat monsters that bring us back to the same problem: the only way to make people grind for upgrades/sidegrades is to create guns in their archetype of equally juiced stats with equal or better perk combos.

I'm gonna cop to the fact that sunsetting - although dumb - did force me to start using vastly more varied builds and even dip my toes into the "Well what's good this season" conversation when previously I basically ignored 90% of the guns I got. I'm not saying it was the right solution to my stupid playstyle, and I still want my loving Hammerhead back, but it has made me engage with the loot game a little more. Whether or not that's a good thing or was worth it, idk.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Seasonal Mods (must use Bows & Fusions this season) and interesting new perks/combos are the temporary solution until the next form of Sunsetting occurs

But my favorite bow and fusion rifle use the same equipment slot. What's a guardian to do? :qq:

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
gonna be honest, i've not done much other than extremely casual play during breaks, am i doing this wrong? i've never done item management, or cared too much about rolls or weapons, i just use what i like and add the unstoppable/anti barrier mods when i need them, die frequently in battlegrounds, and just shotgun-punch in pvp.

am i seriously missing out on anything by not using DIM or min maxing items?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Biowarfare posted:

You're missing a lot of grief.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Biowarfare posted:

gonna be honest, i've not done much other than extremely casual play during breaks, am i doing this wrong? i've never done item management, or cared too much about rolls or weapons, i just use what i like and add the unstoppable/anti barrier mods when i need them, die frequently in battlegrounds, and just shotgun-punch in pvp.

Not really. I'm still mostly the same way and all it really does is sort of reduce the amount of time you spend googling things instead of playing Destiny. It maybe flattens out the highs of getting new loot but it also flattens out the lows of getting a dogshit roll because who cares and also I probably won't even know it's dogshit anyway.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

When I get a weapon I ask myself if the main number is higher than what I was using before and if it feels good to shoot.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

there's like 5% of content in the game where your loadout really matters

and if you care about that content, you're already engaged enough to know what to look for, or where to look for info

nothing in the casual daily/weekly poo poo or open world stuff demands more than the ability to point and shoot

(sometimes not even that depending on the matchmade activity type :v:)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

stev posted:

When I get a weapon I ask myself if the main number is higher than what I was using before and if it feels good to shoot.

You are reaching into the homes of youtubers and stealing food from their refrigerator when you do this. When they are on the streets, destitute, it will be your fault.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah Seasonal mods are a clunky way of saying "it's Fusion weather!" and making people dig deep into their vaults for things that say Fusion and discovering they're good.

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm gonna cop to the fact that sunsetting - although dumb - did force me to start using vastly more varied builds and even dip my toes into the "Well what's good this season" conversation when previously I basically ignored 90% of the guns I got. I'm not saying it was the right solution to my stupid playstyle, and I still want my loving Hammerhead back, but it has made me engage with the loot game a little more. Whether or not that's a good thing or was worth it, idk.

I wouldn't say that having a favourite gun is an invalid way to play the game but a pillar of their game design is having a fun and interesting gun to look for. Hammerhead is a pretty sweet gun and people farmed for a good roll (that's good) but then didn't bother with farming MGs or even heavies afterwards (not good, for Bungo). GaaS requires treadmills to keep players engaged, whether that's item acquisition, competitive modes or plot progression. Story of course is the most development intensive and lowest return way to keep players hooked on the game so naturally there's a lot of focus on item acquisition. There's no real competitive PvE and apparently the Sandbox team was hollowed out over the years because Bungie tries to move people around to roles they'd be more invested in and only refilled their Sandbox (and Crucible??) teams this last year so that explains that but item acquisition meshes with it anyway. New gun? Test it in Cru, etc.

I think if people just sat on Mountaintop/Blast Furnace/Hammerhead all these years they would probably be bored out of their minds well before this point so pushing them into the gun pool churn is for the best.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'll disagree, just cuz legions of hc/shotgun hunters in pvp have been using the same loadout for 7 years and they seem perfectly happy

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I was gonna say the same thing. Somehow me using a Blast Furnace alot is a problem but annoying pvp whiners using only fotm hand Cannon and fotm shotguns aren't a problem.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Eej posted:

GaaS requires treadmills to keep players engaged, whether that's item acquisition, competitive modes or plot progression.

I really wish it was mildly less treadmill, though. Or at least more options instead of literally repeat exact same content several times a day (battlegrounds last time, that dreaming city place this time). I never end up finishing every daily/weekly.

xzzy posted:

You are reaching into the homes of youtubers and stealing food from their refrigerator when you do this. When they are on the streets, destitute, it will be your fault.

My primary loadout is weapons that I can hold down and not much else, like the 150-ammo auto rifle exotic. YouTubers hate this.

victrix posted:

(sometimes not even that depending on the matchmade activity type :v:)

I actually managed to beat Deep Stone Crypt last season with friends. I think we all just ended up shotgunning the last boss, but none of us did much other than practice-fail it for an hour or two a day for a roughly ~1.5week, no youtube guides either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

victrix posted:

I'll disagree, just cuz legions of hc/shotgun hunters in pvp have been using the same loadout for 7 years and they seem perfectly happy

RBX posted:

I was gonna say the same thing. Somehow me using a Blast Furnace alot is a problem but annoying pvp whiners using only fotm hand Cannon and fotm shotguns aren't a problem.

cause they're not sitting on one specific gun, they're still farming out the new fotm

spare rations to bottom dollar/igneous to palindrome, etc

astral horizon to riis walker etc.

Now I mean I didn't like sunsetting, hitting the problem guns with targeted nerfs would've been fine instead of throwing everything out, but you can still use pulses as a category