Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Norwegian Rudo posted:

He's also a transphobe.

That really shook me when I read about it because I had always adored that Charlene McGowan was drawn as a visibly trans woman without looking like a caricature. I can literally not think of another depiction of a trans woman in mainstream superhero comic (Cassandra in Wic/Div maybe if you count that as kind of a second-cousin to a superhero comic) felt as authentically lived in as Bennett's McGowan so it was kind of heartbreaking to learn about his transphobia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just curious, is there anyone here who has read all of the Spencer ASM run that would ever be willing to read it again?

Not that most people would be willing to reread most modern comics but I am trying to think if anyone will even toy with the idea of reading it in two years. Like many parts of the run, there were a lot of things here and there I liked for Sinister War but that last issue just really soured me on it. Are there even any individual arcs that you would consider?

Read it again? Probably not, but I will say I don't really dislike it like a lot of people here do.

This last arc has dragged but I don't think that makes the whole thing bad in retrospect. As far as general arcs go though I think most of the non-Kindred stuff has been pretty great*. All the stuff with Boomerang's face-then-heel-then-face-again turns, his opening (at least I think it was his opening? I forget) arc with Peter and Spider-Man getting separated into two different people, and stuff like Kraven vs. Every animal-themed character was pretty great. One thing I'll say is that if nothing else, I think Spencer is a better comedy writer than Slott so like... yeah, if you value humor in Spider-Man comics, which I certainly do, that's been good.

*hell I kinda liked Kindred the first go-around even though that was more like The Sin-Eater arc featuring ominous narration from Kindred.

Just so I don't seem like I'm some sort of Spencer stan, I will agree with everyone who's posted about it that I don't give a hot poo poo about who or what Kindred is. I mean I appreciate what he (Spencer I mean, not Kindred) seems to be going for in the sense that he's going to undo OMD but also explore the ramifications of "hey so Peter made a deal with the devil, you remember that, right? I feel like that should be a bigger deal" on the way but I don't need this centipede man cackling and monologue-ing all the time in the background to get the picture.

Anyway tl;dr: probably won't re-read but I don't think it's bad. (Honestly I think the only comic run I'll reread from the past decade is Aaron's Thor because I genuinely cannot imagine it being topped.)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 2, 2021

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just curious, is there anyone here who has read all of the Spencer ASM run that would ever be willing to read it again?

Not that most people would be willing to reread most modern comics but I am trying to think if anyone will even toy with the idea of reading it in two years. Like many parts of the run, there were a lot of things here and there I liked for Sinister War but that last issue just really soured me on it. Are there even any individual arcs that you would consider?

It's gonna depend on whether or not he can stick the landing, honestly. Spencer's big thing with Kindred seems almost to be a reflection of a certain segment of the audience in some ways - he's the guy going 'things should stop changing, all this character development doesn't matter because once you're a Spidey villain you're always a Spidey villain, and the suggestion that things could be otherwise makes me so mad you guys' - but honestly I don't know if that's deliberate or not. I think if it is there's a possibility that a satisfying wrap-up can be achieved, and that will make the whole run look better in hindsight...

...or it'll fall apart at the end, or it'll turn out I'm reading too much into the story, and it'll just make the whole run worse (and I haven't loved it to begin with). So... I guess we'll see!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What Spencer has done with Norman is the best progress the character has ever had and it will of course be reset immediately.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
https://twitter.com/Al_Ewing/status/1433473008996397062

https://twitter.com/Al_Ewing/status/1433473562887720962

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh hey, maybe this will be enough to get rid of him. I'm curious how long Ewing has been aware.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
really glad al has decided to address it now that he's no longer strung up by needing to finish out the book

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It really makes you wonder why he was kept on the book.

Probably Akira doesn't care.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Really happy Ewing addressed this. I know Bennett is on that upcoming Timeless book, which I'd really like to buy to support another favorite writer and fellow goon, but not sure I can justify it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

It really makes you wonder why he was kept on the book.

Probably Akira doesn't care.

Yeah, the art got enough attention and praise that he made some sort of internal calculation that it'd be better to keep Bennet. Probably vocalized it as something along the lines of "I just want to do what's best for the book."

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TwoPair posted:

Read it again? Probably not, but I will say I don't really dislike it like a lot of people here do.

This last arc has dragged but I don't think that makes the whole thing bad in retrospect. As far as general arcs go though I think most of the non-Kindred stuff has been pretty great*. All the stuff with Boomerang's face-then-heel-then-face-again turns, his opening (at least I think it was his opening? I forget) arc with Peter and Spider-Man getting separated into two different people, and stuff like Kraven vs. Every animal-themed character was pretty great. One thing I'll say is that if nothing else, I think Spencer is a better comedy writer than Slott so like... yeah, if you value humor in Spider-Man comics, which I certainly do, that's been good.

*hell I kinda liked Kindred the first go-around even though that was more like The Sin-Eater arc featuring ominous narration from Kindred.

Just so I don't seem like I'm some sort of Spencer stan, I will agree with everyone who's posted about it that I don't give a hot poo poo about who or what Kindred is. I mean I appreciate what he (Spencer I mean, not Kindred) seems to be going for in the sense that he's going to undo OMD but also explore the ramifications of "hey so Peter made a deal with the devil, you remember that, right? I feel like that should be a bigger deal" on the way but I don't need this centipede man cackling and monologue-ing all the time in the background to get the picture.

Anyway tl;dr: probably won't re-read but I don't think it's bad. (Honestly I think the only comic run I'll reread from the past decade is Aaron's Thor because I genuinely cannot imagine it being topped.)

Basically :same:

I'm sure the fact he got Peter & MJ back together & seems to be looking to if not undo at least actually address OMD is probably making me look on it a little more favourably, but while there's been stumbles on the way, it's been consistently good, if not great. Which coming after Slott is a breath of fresh air.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
did Ewing comment on Joe Bennett circa the "Jewery" incident?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

FoneBone posted:

did Ewing comment on Joe Bennett circa the "Jewery" incident?

I don't think he ever did.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

glitchwraith posted:

Really happy Ewing addressed this. I know Bennett is on that upcoming Timeless book, which I'd really like to buy to support another favorite writer and fellow goon, but not sure I can justify it.

Yeah, I am definitely going to have to pass on Timeless if Bennett is a creator involved with it. Shameful Marvel is keeping him around.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Wait is Dormammu on Boomerang's team?

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

glitchwraith posted:

I’m not posting this to disagree with you / or defend Bennett (he’a absolutely reprehensible), but I didn’t see it elaborated upon in the thread but apparently Timeless is a one shot like Incoming and 1000. So god willing because this is in the can, it can drop and Marvel can be done with him for good. Fingers crossed.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah, I am definitely going to have to pass on Timeless if Bennett is a creator involved with it. Shameful Marvel is keeping him around.

Timeless is apparently a one shot that has many different artists on it and he's just one of them. I understand anyone not wanting to purchase it for sure. I know I won't be buying any books Joe Bennett is a driving force of in the future. I'll have to see what the breakdown of this book is and how big a part he is. I still want to support people that deserve that support. I know that only a select few get to pick who they do work with. That being said it there's some new Joe Bennett drawn book in the pipeline then that's a failing on Marvel's end and I definitely won't be picking it up.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Dude, I really liked the Boomerang stuff but that’s about it :/

Edit: also the kraven story was cool

Double edit: uggh this taints the whole immortal hulk run. That sucks. Im glad Ewing made such a definitive statement going forward but its hard to believe he had such a little understanding of his history.

omnibobb fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 3, 2021

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

would people involved in the comics I like stop turning out to be awful loving people so I can enjoy things for once

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

X-O posted:

Timeless is apparently a one shot that has many different artists on it and he's just one of them. I understand anyone not wanting to purchase it for sure. I know I won't be buying any books Joe Bennett is a driving force of in the future. I'll have to see what the breakdown of this book is and how big a part he is. I still want to support people that deserve that support. I know that only a select few get to pick who they do work with. That being said it there's some new Joe Bennett drawn book in the pipeline then that's a failing on Marvel's end and I definitely won't be picking it up.

If you wanna support people you like, a better way would be to buy their indie books, sub to their patreon or donate to them individually. That way you don't also support a piece of poo poo like Bennet.

I'm not saying "don't buy Timeless just because of Bennet", I'm saying that there are more direct ways to support the creators on the book.

Edit: It also stings that Ewing chose to wait until his book was done to do his thread, but I understand that doing it sooner would gently caress with his livelihood.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

omnibobb posted:

This is where I am at mostly. The Boomerang stuff was exactly the kind of fun comics I like, and really digging into Peter Parkers life is one of the big appeals for Spider-Man for me. There is a great scene where Peter is conflicted because Boomerang is a villain/annoying to live with but that fact that he pays his rent on time wins the day. I feel that.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I’ve been a fan of Bennett’s work for a long time so this really stings. It’s naive of me but sometimes I have a hard time wrapping my mind around how people involved in fun, silly things like superhero comics can have such hateful views. I guess people can get “fascist supermen” out of it or the “fight injustice, embrace difference” aspect, which is what always appealed to me.

Any day now we’ll find out that the person who sang the Muppet Babies theme song is an anti-vaxx turbo-racist, or something.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

would people involved in the comics I like stop turning out to be awful loving people so I can enjoy things for once

:amen:

radlum
May 13, 2013

omnibobb posted:

Edit: also the kraven story was cool

Same; I liked Boomerang as Peter's roommate (and Spencer is pretty good at writing him), so seeing him die a pointless dead, killed by such an awful villain like Morlun was dissapointing.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I mean, if Dormammu really is Fred's bud then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Gnaremoob sounds like a good name for a demonic entity

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Gologle posted:

Wait is Dormammu on Boomerang's team?

Gologle posted:

I mean, if Dormammu really is Fred's bud then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Dormammu as best as I can tell never appears or is mentioned in Nick Spencer's run on Amazing Spider-Man. He's currently appearing in Guardians of the Galaxy, but it would be an extreme third act twist to bring him into the very end of this run.

The man with the flaming pumpkin head in Sinister War was one of the Jack O'Lanterns, though I'm unsure if Spencer ever specified which one; there are like five distinct Jack O'Lanterns in addition to the "franchised" ones that the second Jack hired in Spencer's run, who all turned out to be Chameleons, I guess?

Anyway while the various Jacks O'Lantern have at various points been killed/resurrected/demonically possessed/brought back as clones, I don't think any of them have resurrection powers themselves, and also they were on opposing Sinister Sixes from Boomerang's, which was secretly only a Sinister Five consisting of Boomerang, Shocker, Speed Demon, Hydro-Man, and Overdrive.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Ah drat you're right, I was thinking of one of the Jack's. OK, Fred ded, rip.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gologle posted:

Ah drat you're right, I was thinking of one of the Jack's. OK, Fred ded, rip.

Unless he sells his marriage again for Fred

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Why are there so many Jack O Lanterns?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Unless he sells his marriage again for Fred

Now we're talkin'

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Gologle posted:

Because it's Halloween season, babey! :spooky:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gologle posted:

Franchising!!!

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

JordanKai posted:

Because it's Halloween season, babey! :spooky:

Can Spider-Man survive.. The Pumpkin Patch??

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Snackmar posted:

Can Spider-Man survive.. The Pumpkin Patch??

Only if he finds the pumpkin patch that is sincere and lacking in hypocrisy

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Edge & Christian posted:

Anyway while the various Jacks O'Lantern have at various points been killed/resurrected/demonically possessed/brought back as clones, I don't think any of them have resurrection powers themselves, and also they were on opposing Sinister Sixes from Boomerang's, which was secretly only a Sinister Five consisting of Boomerang, Shocker, Speed Demon, Hydro-Man, and Overdrive.

I love comics because while Speed Demon is fighting Spidey with 30 other villains, he's also zipping around the country trolling Captain America.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The original Jack O'Lantern (Jason Macendale) was a mercenary with a vaguely Green Goblin-inspired gimmick. He was the last man standing in the late 1980s when there was an absolute clusterfuck of "WHO IS HOBGOBLIN?" and while all of the original picks either got killed or disappeared, they revealed Macendale had found the original Hobgoblin's Battle Van and became the new Hobgoblin, who went on to get demonically infected, then freed of the demon, then turned into a cyborg, then killed, then brought back as a clone. He is (probably) currently Hobgoblin, or at least one of them, but he hasn't explicitly appeared anywhere since the Clone Conspiracy.

The second Jack O'Lantern was a second mercenary (eventually named as Steven Levins) who just bought the old Jack costume from somewhere. He didn't do a lot before getting his head exploded by the Punisher in the Civil War mini-series, but then got resurrected by Lucifer and turned into a Daniel Way Ghost Rider villain. He got un-possessed by Lucifer and exploded again in Ghost Rider. Then he got resurrected in the Clone Conspiracy too.

A third Jack O'Lantern turned out to be the original Mysterio's cousin and the second Mysterio teaming up to pretend to be Jack O'Lantern because ????. They may or may not have been killed off-panel by a later Jack O'Lantern, but haven't really been seen in twenty years regardless.

A fourth(?) Jack O'Lantern was someone provided the Jacktech by Latveria in Bendis/Dell'Otto's Secret War, unless that was the third Jack O'Lantern running the same gimmick and no one brought it up, they only appeared for a couple of issues.

A fifth Jack O'Lantern was the brother of the second Jack O'Lantern who found his brother's poo poo and decided to become Jack O'Lantern in a Frank Tieri mini-series. This one had ill-defined Satan powers, which I guess he got from the suit, or he made a deal with Satan off-panel.

A sixth Jack O'Lantern who claimed to have killed all of the other ones (pre-Clone-Conspiracy) was a major antagonist in Rick Remender's Venom series. He was like... an evil child raised by the Crime-Master as an assassin who was also a serial killer? And killed people by turning their heads into jack o'lanterns? Eventually he got killed by Deadpool in Black Panther vs. Deadpool but now works for Hell or something in Ed Brisson Ghost Rider?

A sixth and a half Jack O'Lantern was an imposter hynotized by the sixth Jack O'Lantern to throw Venom off track, or something.

A seventh Jack O'Lantern found one of the first four's old costume and was Doing Things in Donny Cates's Venom.

The second Jack O'Lantern is the one currently in Spencer's Spider-Man, and he franchised his identity to other mercenaries, which itself is a nod to the retcon eventually set up for All Them Hobgoblins -- namely that the originally intended (and eventually revealed by Stern decades later Hobgoblin Kingsley had franchised out the identity to criminals). But in a delicious Spencerian twist, all of the Franchised Jack O'Lantern mercenaries were themselves mercenaries hired by The Finisher to pretend to be Jack O'Lanterns but were really Chameleons!

Presumably the Jack O'Lantern who isn't named and doesn't get any dialogue in Sinister War is the original, not-demonically-possessed, not-Mysterio*, not-Chameleon, not-Hobgoblin, clone Jack O'Lantern II.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

That all sounds just convoluted enough to be entirely accurate.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Man I fuckin' love comic books you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What are the chances elektra stays in her kickass DD outfit? I'm absolutely loving the design and don't want it to go away anytime soon.