Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Nah, apparently Nilfgaard has slavery. I only ever played W3, so when I pointed out that consolidation under the Empire didn't seem worse than the constant cycle of warfare, someone pointed it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It comes up more in Thronebreaker--being occupied by Nilfgard sounds like a pretty raw deal, best to avoid it if you can

itry
Aug 23, 2019

All the states in the game are bad, as far as I can remember. Just different kinds of bad.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
The Northern Realms are really loving racist

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Going by medieval standards, I think pretty much every state is open and accepting of slavery, and the only reason they might not be invested into it is being relatively poor or not having access to a good source of slaves. Not some kind of ideological repulsion to the concept. Often, many peasants could be subject to some kind of feudal contracts which may seem similar to slavery aside from a nebulous concept of reciprocity that they may even take pride in over free and unprotected by law wanderers like Witchers. At the very least, Nilfgaard doesn't seem to be trying to actively enslave northerners, which is about the best you can hope for.

Skellige actually is actively enslaving the people of the North, that's what they're talking about when they keep mentioning raiding, and you do see them parading their slaves around.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Someone in Skellige (Blueboy Lugos, I think?) also talks about selling captives to slavery in... somewhere in Nilfgaard, I don't remember the province.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Yeah, slavery is objectively bad so the most moral choice would be betraying your friends to Dijkstra since he actually creates a secular state that allows for a diverse society

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Nilfgaard is massively whitewashed in the 3rd game. In the books it was much more explicit about Nilfgaard's policies of enslavement and relocation of Nordlings, and later flat out extermination, to make way for Nilfgaardians settlers or to deny population to areas they had to withdraw from.

Servetus fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 2, 2021

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

itry posted:

All the states in the game are bad, as far as I can remember. Just different kinds of bad.

This. Nilfgaard is a lovely invading empire but holy poo poo are the Northern Kingdoms just as bad.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

You always side with Sigi. It's the best ending for the world, and killing Roche doesn't really matter because he's a dick and you're supposed to side with Iorveth in W2

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
discussions about politics in high fantasy role playing games are always so much fun :)

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I really want to be able to one day let Djikstra live but when the moment comes I’ll just too bro’d up with not only Vernon, but Thaler from the first game. I love Thaler!

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Khizan posted:

You always side with Sigi. It's the best ending for the world, and killing Roche doesn't really matter because he's a dick and you're supposed to side with Iorveth in W2

Wooah, correct opinions?!

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Khizan posted:

Yeah, my thoughts on turning on Roche was pretty much "I betrayed you before last game, why on Earth did you trust me again?" :D

Besides, EVERYBODY in politics cheerfully sells Geralt down the river if it works out well for them throughout the books and games, why shouldn't he finally take a lesson?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

lite_sleepr posted:

discussions about politics in high fantasy role playing games are always so much fun :)

People discussing politics in a series that makes extensive use of politics to inform its setting?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
ive only played W3 and read the first book and some of the second but really getting chumped seems like a way of life for Geralt, it’s really a wonder by the time W3 rolls around that he’s survived more so than Dandelion, the most punchable man alive.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

lite_sleepr posted:

:siren: NON BOOK READER ALERT :siren:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Arc Hammer posted:

People discussing politics in a series that makes extensive use of politics to inform its setting?

hosed up if true

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think the Ciri choice is quite well done because there's no hard answer to just letting her make her own decision.

If you take her to see Emhyr, she will decide to become empress if he survives. But she refuses to go and visit him when Geralt first suggests it and only agrees if you argue that she should.

So for the witcher ending she has incomplete information and for the empress ending you have to push her to meet Emhyr when she doesn't want to.

E: Also given the theatre with Emhyr if you decide the take the money, he has clearly planned the whole meeting to be as manipulative as possible what a dick seriously

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 2, 2021

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The main reason why empress Ciri ending is bad is because *book spoiler* Emhyr's goal in the books was to find, marry, gently caress and impregnate then barely 14 years old Ciri, despite being fully aware she was his daughter. And while he realized he couldn't go through with it in the end, leaving your adoptive daughter in care of a man who you know had such a goal just a few years ago is not exactly worthy of father of the year award.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Lt. Lizard posted:

The main reason why empress Ciri ending is bad is because *book spoiler* Emhyr's goal in the books was to find, marry, gently caress and impregnate then barely 14 years old Ciri, despite being fully aware she was his daughter. And while he realized he couldn't go through with it in the end, leaving your adoptive daughter in care of a man who you know had such a goal just a few years ago is not exactly worthy of father of the year award.

While not wrong, Geralt is not “leaving” her in control of anyone. Ciri can both fend for herself in spectacular ways and make her own decisions. It’s not like you’re dropping off a five year old Ciri with Emhyr.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Tbh it was pretty hilarious to me how much you can sideline Emhyr after finding Ciri. And iirc there's only one conversation between Geralt and Ciri when they actually talk about Emhyr as Ciri's father, not this big rear end in a top hat with an army. I wasn't even sure if she knows that they're related but turns out she just doesn't give a poo poo, as it should be, lol

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Regarding a dynasty of Elder Blood having Napoleons...I thought Ciri was gay? Which doesn't mean she won't have children, but.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Regarding a dynasty of Elder Blood having Napoleons...I thought Ciri was gay? Which doesn't mean she won't have children, but.

It's left vague in the books whether she is Lesbian or bisexual. Certainly her major sexual relationship is with a woman but she hits on men a couple of times as well.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I thought she was bi and preferred girls?

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
In game, you're given 2 options, although it never comes up again.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Last Celebration posted:

I thought she was bi and preferred girls?

Her first experience was essentially rape and I never found her relationship with the Rats to be all that friendly or healthy.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Servetus posted:

Nilfgaard is massively whitewashed in the 3rd game. In the books it was much more explicit about Nilfgaard's policies of enslavement and relocation of Nordlings, and later flat out extermination, to make way for Nilfgaardians settlers or to deny population to areas they had to withdraw from.

Thronebreaker fixes this though, by displaying Nilfgaard in all its barbarity. Thronebreaker had a great story and plot.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

chaosapiant posted:

While not wrong, Geralt is not “leaving” her in control of anyone. Ciri can both fend for herself in spectacular ways and make her own decisions. It’s not like you’re dropping off a five year old Ciri with Emhyr.

Yeah exactly, especially by the end of the game there can be no doubt that she knows how to defend herself, quite possibly being more adept than Geralt anyway.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Thronebreaker fixes this though, by displaying Nilfgaard in all its barbarity. Thronebreaker had a great story and plot.

Thronebreaker is also 2nd War Nilfgaard, where they were much, much more vicious as retribution for losing the first war. The 3rd War in the games is precipitated by Nilfgaard using a lot more diplomacy and backdoor assassination plots to negotiate terms and weaken the North before launching an attack which was supposed to be a blitzkrieg but petered out in Velen. The situation in the North is pretty untenable so they haven't used purges as much* as they normally would because Velen is a strategic hellhole.

*they still murder prisoners and try to pin fault on a nearby forktail nest and insubordination and desertion are punishable by death even if you're drafted from the locals.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Cobalt-60 posted:

In game, you're given 2 options, although it never comes up again.

The choice doesn't, but when you go for a walk around Novigrad with Ciri near the end it's incredibly obvious she and the tavern maid had a thing, even Geralt points it out before you go visit her friends in the incredibly gay elf circus she wants to run away with. She's gay.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The choice doesn't, but when you go for a walk around Novigrad with Ciri near the end it's incredibly obvious she and the tavern maid had a thing, even Geralt points it out before you go visit her friends in the incredibly gay elf circus she wants to run away with. She's gay.

Pretty sure she rolled in the hay, or thought about it, in The Lady of the Lake. I’ve always viewed her as bi with a slight preference for ladies.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Yeah, read gay there broadly.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Is there a dedicated space to discuss the books/other Witcher media or is this good? If so:

Man, 50% through Sword of Destiny and, uh, Yennifer’s always been kinda terrible, huh? Like, she’s more sympathetic cause you understand that she has a lot of emotional baggage but “oh hey, I can’t decide between Geralt and the other guy so I’m just gonna gently caress them both while I decide” is really hilarious considering how she handles “I lost all my memories and slept with your best friend”.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Last Celebration posted:

Is there a dedicated space to discuss the books/other Witcher media or is this good? If so:

Man, 50% through Sword of Destiny and, uh, Yennifer’s always been kinda terrible, huh? Like, she’s more sympathetic cause you understand that she has a lot of emotional baggage but “oh hey, I can’t decide between Geralt and the other guy so I’m just gonna gently caress them both while I decide” is really hilarious considering how she handles “I lost all my memories and slept with your best friend”.

That’s why they’re perfect for each other. They’re both emotionally stunted, immature, and incapable of handling or even recognizing a healthy relationship.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I can’t say you’re wrong but Geralt is, you know, a good person in spite of all those things so it feels like he deserves better for that at least.

Also there’s a joke to be made about Geralt being on the bottom when the unicorn broke, but it’s beneath me.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I'd say that Yennefer maybe gets better later in the saga? The short stories are definitely when their relationship is the messiest

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
She gets better in Blood of Elves where we see her from Ciri and Dandelion's perspectives which show off her maternal side and her willingness to help out friends even if she doesn't particularly like them.
Meanwhile she gets into deep poo poo in Time of Contempt like everyone else, but she and Geralt do take some time to try and mend their relationship.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The Witcher books are genuinely pretty funny when they try to be (like the games) but probably the funniest bit so far is finishing Witcher 3 and having ten year old bratty Ciri say “Geralt, my nanny told me I’m a super special chosen one, but it’s a secret” after watching her kill the apocalypse destined to inevitably end all life in every universe in the same way a ten year old tells you they’re Superman or something.

Like, it’s definitely meant to be a funny/cute bit but beating Witcher 3 just makes it even funnier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

But you were asleep uncle Vesemir :smaug: