Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

I heard Dave Chappelle sucks these days anyway

His social commentary is still 90% on-point, but living in rural Ohio for 20 years and befriending the locals has rotted his brain a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Lovelyn posted:

My patient was dying and I had to hit the Big Blue Button, which means 2 MDs, a respiratory therapist, and a gaggle of other nurses rushed into the room. I jumped on the bed to start chest compressions (I'm small and the bed didn't have a CPR lever so it was a bit too high for me) and the RT takes their position at head of the bed. He suctions the patient and we get a MASSIVE flash, about 0.5 liters, of BLOOD. It's in the suction canister and now pooling in the tubing of the ventilator itself.

Our protocol is: if a patient is covid+ and on a ventilator, DO NOT BREAK THE CIRCUIT TO ADMINISTER RESUSCITATION BREATHS! Only do drugs/chest compressions/shocks. Well, we're supremely short staffed which means we have traveler RTs who don't know our protocols, and this motherfucker not only breaks the circuit, but does so BEFORE TURNING OFF THE VENTILATOR!!!! He unhooks the patient and then says "how do I turn this thing off?" meanwhile aerosolizing all that blood. Everyone and everything in that room got sprayed.

By the end of the code there was a liter of blood in the canister and the patient did not make it.

:stare:

...c... cool. great. uh... keep up the good work.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"

Stereotype posted:

shits still bad!?

yeah but it’s better than next year!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
he had a good comedy special last year that was all outside with everyone super spaced out and everyone was required to wear masks. it was one of those nice cathartic things where it's like "see we can still do sort of normal stuff with proper precautions" but apparently that's just WAY too much to ask of people so instead we just get to live in a horrific deathfilled hellscape

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I thank the stars every day that I turned down the MD/PhD offers, I'd be in residency through all of this poo poo

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Adding a piccatinny rail to my 3M 6200 to support a laser sight

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Thoguh posted:

30% say they will. Maybe 1-2% actually would follow through on it.

I agree with this but at the same time it's important to also be cognizant of the fact that front-line nursing loving sucks right now and is only getting worse between admins being incompetent and COVID. 30% is way too high, but there are definitely more than 1-2% of nurses that would let a vaccine mandate be the thing that finally makes them jump ship after dealing with three or four times their regular patient load with few if any CNA's around.

Separate from this on the pharmacy front - we ran out of antibody tests last week after a two week stint of doing as many in a day as we did in a week back during the late spring lull. Kits are on back-order indefinitely due to the increased demand. People have been buying out our OTC home COVID antigen tests as soon as they get put back on the shelf, either due to actual need or some local black market springing up. Got all of 6 kits in our order yesterday and they were gone in 2 hours, with about a third of our calls yesterday asking about both antibody and antigen test availability. This is the rural midwest for anyone wondering.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

mod sassinator posted:

lmao this is one of seattle's biggest testing sites, and it's the day after school just started. hmmmmmm huge line of cars getting tested right now. lmao

https://www.reddit.com/r/CoronavirusWA/comments/pgoo1p/crazy_long_queue_at_aurora_testing_center_today/

There's a guy in Federal Way holding a sign saying there's quick 15-minute rapid Covid tests. At first I thought he was holding an anti vaxx sign until he turned around lmao. I didn't see where the arrow was pointing but I didn't see a crowd anywhere so Seattle parents might try looking south.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Lovelyn posted:

My patient was dying and I had to hit the Big Blue Button, which means 2 MDs, a respiratory therapist, and a gaggle of other nurses rushed into the room. I jumped on the bed to start chest compressions (I'm small and the bed didn't have a CPR lever so it was a bit too high for me) and the RT takes their position at head of the bed. He suctions the patient and we get a MASSIVE flash, about 0.5 liters, of BLOOD. It's in the suction canister and now pooling in the tubing of the ventilator itself.

Our protocol is: if a patient is covid+ and on a ventilator, DO NOT BREAK THE CIRCUIT TO ADMINISTER RESUSCITATION BREATHS! Only do drugs/chest compressions/shocks. Well, we're supremely short staffed which means we have traveler RTs who don't know our protocols, and this motherfucker not only breaks the circuit, but does so BEFORE TURNING OFF THE VENTILATOR!!!! He unhooks the patient and then says "how do I turn this thing off?" meanwhile aerosolizing all that blood. Everyone and everything in that room got sprayed.

By the end of the code there was a liter of blood in the canister and the patient did not make it.

That's bad...

Lovelyn posted:

I "failed" my N95 fit test so I'm guaranteed a CAPR. To be fair, I legit failed the fit test the first time around, so this time I just cut the process short and "failed" it right away. I'm eternally grateful I did so because there was definitely blood splattered on the face shield.

...that's good!

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Thoguh posted:

Fish pills are real but they are a poor person thing, not a chud or liberal thing so I have no clue what that tweet was supposed to be about.

Fish pills work. I bought fish moxie after reading about a Puerto Rican man dying from a cut that got infected in the Maria flooding, just because it was 20$, I had pneumonia when the doctors office was closed for a three day weekend and it worked ASAP. I think if one has any kind of a preparation mindset, it's cheap to add just in case. It's amoxicillin even if it's meant for fish.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lovelyn posted:

I "failed" my N95 fit test so I'm guaranteed a CAPR. To be fair, I legit failed the fit test the first time around, so this time I just cut the process short and "failed" it right away. I'm eternally grateful I did so because there was definitely blood splattered on the face shield.
hmm. i didn't realize covid could make your blood explode out of your body. good to know.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Haha.... ow. Direct hit.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Aliens Fire Team Elite had an update that will take 86 minutes :argh:

Time to :justpost:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
*banging pots and pans together for our brave heathcare workers* THANK YOU FOR YOUR SER

Lovelyn posted:

*slowly stops banging pans together*

*starts crying*

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
My therapists hcw spouse popped positive the day before school started and now her poor twins are in quarantine for the first few weeks of school. Hopefully everything goes ok. :smith: second day of school here and I'm still just vibrating nervously.

Also lol there are grumblings of mass resignations on the nursing subreddit, as there should be.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bone Crimes posted:

So, I gotta confess that I'm curious about these fish pills now, from a prepping perspective. I'd hate to have me or my kids go out from some cut if/when the medical system breaks - purely from a SHTF perspective. Any additional guidance from your aunt?

worth also noting is that they're still drugs that expire/lose efficacy over time so from a SHTF perspective it's probably better to keep in mind as a "remember to loot the aquatic pet store" thing than trying to stock it up ahead of time

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I need to go back in time and invent a fidget spinner that emits ivermectin paste.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

Lenin Stimpy posted:

they talk big, then cry, then comply

vaccine mandates work extraordinarily well

they talk big, then cry, then apply for (and receive) religious exemptions

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Lovelyn posted:

doctors killing people with ventilators lmao wtc sorry :smith:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Lovelyn posted:

Holy poo poo I'm so ashamed for having a breakdown over my drat office job with cubicles and rare visits from coworkers. You live like this? How do you do it? I'm amazed and appalled and impressed.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

Is this game good

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Holy poo poo I'm so ashamed for having a breakdown over my drat office job with cubicles and rare visits from coworkers. You live like this? How do you do it? I'm amazed and appalled and impressed.

lmao yeah you have it loving made

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I had to give my roommate chest compressions once, and it was the most horrible feeling ever, I can't imagine that sensation being a regular part of my day job.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if i ever need chest compressions just kick me repeatedly in the taint instead, thanks

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

yeah but it’s better than next year!
we live very well, on average

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

Don't be ashamed, there's enough crying corners for everyone!

Which is how I've been getting through it. Crying, weed, cats, and video calls with my BFF. I also just spent over $200 on chocolate so I can eat my feelings

Iron Crowned posted:

I had to give my roommate chest compressions once, and it was the most horrible feeling ever, I can't imagine that sensation being a regular part of my day job.

did you break ribs?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I heard Dave Chappelle sucks these days anyway

i saw him in 2016ish and he was godawful. 90% of his set was smoking a cigarette and talking about jerking off

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Lovelyn posted:

:allbuttons:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Is this game good

I like it so far, but I haven't completed the campaign yet. There a lot of interesting things in the skills matrix to keep things interesting.

There's a new class dropping on the 8th, and 4 DLCs planned for the year, but there's no real info on any of it yet.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I like how theOnion is just reality checks now, not even a chuckle just "yup"

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

is that one good?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lovelyn posted:

I will bang a pot and pan together out side for you at 5:28 pm to signify my support.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I have a cousin who's a HCW (RN) here in VT, they stopped by to pick some stuff up today and we chatted outside. They refused to get closer than 10-12' with us both masked, they said there is spread happening here among the vaccinated, it's been at their facility, it's everywhere, etc.

They also painted an incredibly bleak picture of New England hospitals right now, as far as sort of being right on the brink of the total staff collapse we're seeing in the south. They said the general quality of available nurses has plummeted.

Not a very uplifting social call.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Joe Rogan gets to live while so many good people who did everything right ended up dying lmao

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lovelyn posted:

did you break ribs?

All but one.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Lovelyn posted:

Don't be ashamed, there's enough crying corners for everyone!

Which is how I've been getting through it. Crying, weed, cats, and video calls with my BFF. I also just spent over $200 on chocolate so I can eat my feelings

Dm me your Venmo if you have one so I can buy you a bottle of booze or something

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

empty whippet box posted:

I will bang a pot and pan together out side for you at 5:28 pm to signify my support.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

selec posted:

is that one good?

Did you ever want to play a game where you're a Colonial Marine shooting aliens? Then yes.

There's some mild Gears of War cover mechanics, but they're only useful when fighting Synthetics.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I have a cousin who's a HCW (RN) here in VT, they stopped by to pick some stuff up today and we chatted outside. They refused to get closer than 10-12' with us both masked, they said there is spread happening here among the vaccinated, it's been at their facility, it's everywhere, etc.

They also painted an incredibly bleak picture of New England hospitals right now, as far as sort of being right on the brink of the total staff collapse we're seeing in the south. They said the general quality of available nurses has plummeted.

Not a very uplifting social call.

The CDC will clear 3rd shots any day now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Lovelyn posted:

I am so glad I didn't go to med school or a PA program like I wanted to back in 2016.