Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

MustardFacial posted:

I wish I had seen this before I sent the email. This is a brilliant idea.

Got a response back from my boss about my resignation and wanted to have a call about it this morning. He was super not happy about it.

I used to feel a little bad about leaving a job because I usually had a great team. Until last job laid me off 1 month into the pandemic. Now I truly don't give a poo poo. That company was around before you showed up, and they'll be around after you leave.

Speaking of :yotj: just got scheduled for a 2nd round of interviews tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

mattfl posted:

This is a his problem and not a your problem.

Who the gently caress cares if he's not happy. Would he care that you weren't happy if he fired you? Companies are not your friends, they aren't your family, they are a means to make money and if a better means comes across your plate you take it and say thanks and move on.

oh don't get me wrong I super don't give a gently caress. He asked me my reasons for leaving and I told him. The conversation went something like any of the posts I've made in this or the "poo poo that pisses you off" thread in the last 6 months.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

mattfl posted:

This is a his problem and not a your problem.

Who the gently caress cares if he's not happy. Would he care that you weren't happy if he fired you? Companies are not your friends, they aren't your family, they are a means to make money and if a better means comes across your plate you take it and say thanks and move on.

My company isn't my friend, but my boss is. That's the way it's been in various jobs for most of my adult life

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
lmao my boss is pissed that I'm leaving and is being all huffy with me about every little thing (this is alo the most I've talked to him in the 6 months I've been here).

As a result I've done maybe 20 mins of actual work today and I don't have plans to do much more. :toot:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Tell him you're taking Memorial Day tomorrow and skip work.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I got the goddamn job. :stare:

Offer letter by the end of the week. I told them I would give my current employer two week notice, but I wanted a third week following that for myself. I know they're hot to have me start ASAP, so I told the recruiter that I would be willing to start right away if they guaranteed me a week off after my first month.

And the pay? It's a 45% increase, the biggest percentage jump in my life. Sort of takes the sting out of getting just two 3% raises over the last six years.

Thank you all so much for your support. I'm a damaged person, and I oscillate between behaving like the person I should be, and the person I became. Throughout this process I tried very hard to channel the former, and tell the latter to shut up.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

gently caress yeah!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

That’s amazing, good job DT

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
:toot: :toot:

Congrats DT!

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
I really liked my last team up until i ended up on the other side of a company rift. Then i was on poo poo list til the separation completed. That wasn't a fun experience

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Dick Trauma posted:

Offer letter by the end of the week. I told them I would give my current employer two week notice, but I wanted a third week following that for myself. I know they're hot to have me start ASAP, so I told the recruiter that I would be willing to start right away if they guaranteed me a week off after my first month.

And the pay? It's a 45% increase, the biggest percentage jump in my life. Sort of takes the sting out of getting just two 3% raises over the last six years.

Thank you all so much for your support. I'm a damaged person, and I oscillate between behaving like the person I should be, and the person I became. Throughout this process I tried very hard to channel the former, and tell the latter to shut up.

Congrats! 2021 is really redefining :yotj:, and it's awesome.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Congrats DT! :yotj:

Don't give notice until you have the formal final offer signed, and I'm assuming all the background check and everything else is already done.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Congrats DT!!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

Holy poo poo, that's awesome! :yotj:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Congratulations DT! Know that everyone here is rooting for you, and we’re happy at your success!

Get that $$$

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Dick Trauma posted:

Huge congrats man!! :yotj:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh hell yeah! So happy for you.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Does anyone have any tips for managing enterprise wireless in a high-traffic environment?

I have 123 WAPs connected to a Unifi controller. The channels are alternated where the APs overlap but there’s only two SSIDs assigned to the entire campus, one for private and one for public. The worst problems seem to occur during class changes, when 600+ students all move around campus at once, they all have BYODs, a lot of them also have tablets and phones. It seems to make everything unstable when so many people are passing by so many different APs at once.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I use Outlook reminders to keep track of things and now as they pop up I'm just clicking "Completed" on them because who gives a poo poo? I mentally checked out so hard they probably heard it on the executive side of the building. I bet the lights flickered.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Dick Trauma posted:

I use Outlook reminders to keep track of things and now as they pop up I'm just clicking "Completed" on them because who gives a poo poo? I mentally checked out so hard they probably heard it on the executive side of the building. I bet the lights flickered.

:hfive: I went through my list of tickets just now and closed anything I didn't feel like doing or hadn't received a follow up on, I have 5 tickets left for the handover meeting tomorrow and they're all big projects which are at the beginning stages.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Is DT the last of the original well goons to get out? Midelne, larches, and finally DT?

It's so loving well-deserved and congrats on finally getting a better job and being paid what you should be.

Dick Trauma posted:

behaving like the person I should be, and the person I became. Throughout this process I tried very hard to channel the former, and tell the latter to shut up.

Keep doing that.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
What are your minimum data rates? If you disable anything below 12mbps you'll disable DSSS which provides a nice floor for supported devices and increasing air cleanliness. You can disabling more lower data rates (like 12 - 18) which will decrease your coverage areas but will cause weak clients to disassociate faster, keep the air waves clearer, etc. There's a whole science to this but I'm giving the cliff notes. If you have the budget just hire a company to do an active survey and budget a high density wifi deployment.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 2, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, seems complex enough of a deployment that I'd get a vendor in.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Is DT the last of the original well goons to get out? Midelne, larches, and finally DT?

Over the years I've escaped a series of jobs, but this one has potential to be more than just a job hop. They emphasized the personal connection side so strongly, every one I interviewed with. It would be lovely to be a part of a team again. Across nine people the message was consistent, that they want everyone to have a good experience there and bond in some way, not fracture into warring factions. Will be nice if it turns out to be true.

No matter what six years at this place was more than enough, and I've proven that I can tough it out when I have to.

EDIT: Holy poo poo they already sent me the offer letter, signed by their COO. Going to sign that thing so fast the paper catches fire. I can wait until Monday to hand in my notice.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 2, 2021

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Good for you , Dick! I used to read your posts back in 2010 as I was also working a lovely tech job so it was cathartic.

I'm looking at a promotion and salary bump too in the next few months.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

This rules dude congrats

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Cleared my board the day before a long weekend. feels nice.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

Does anyone have any tips for managing enterprise wireless in a high-traffic environment?

I have 123 WAPs connected to a Unifi controller. The channels are alternated where the APs overlap but there’s only two SSIDs assigned to the entire campus, one for private and one for public. The worst problems seem to occur during class changes, when 600+ students all move around campus at once, they all have BYODs, a lot of them also have tablets and phones. It seems to make everything unstable when so many people are passing by so many different APs at once.

Voting for getting a company in to do a proper survey, and they should 100% be intimately familiar with the UniFi platform you're using or they will be no help.

You're not doing anything like layer 3 roaming are you?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

This is probably going to sound dickish, but my tip would be to get enterprise wireless. Ubiquiti has improved its offerings, but I still wouldn't be using them for any kind of high-traffic/high-client-turnover environment. The behavior you're seeing is exactly what we saw the last time we used Ubiquiti in any environment more demanding than "small business office" and that was 6 years ago. (My home switch and APs are Unifi, so I've modified my stance from the full-on Ubiquiti hater I used to be, but I still wouldn't call them enterprise wireless).

edit: also this

Sepist posted:

If you have the budget just hire a company to do an active survey and budget a high density wifi deployment.

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, seems complex enough of a deployment that I'd get a vendor in.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah I would echo the Get A Vendor sentiment since it sounds like you don't have a wireless person on-staff. Also, do not use ubiquiti, for deployments any larger than 20-30 people (so 40-60 clients) I wouldn't use them.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Somehow it's 6 hours later than it was when I sat down and now there's 75 "Thank you for your application" emails in my inbox. I'm not sure what's going on, all I know is I need something to eat.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Wait... Monday is a holiday? Guess I'm resigning on Tuesday then!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Dick Trauma posted:

Wait... Monday is a holiday? Guess I'm resigning on Tuesday then!

Resign tomorrow just so they have to stew on it over a long weekend.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Definitely want the start date of your notice period as soon as possible.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Fool posted:

Definitely want the start date of your notice period as soon as possible.

Counterpoint: does this really sound like a company DT should care about being polite to?

"Hello my last day is tomorrow thanks bye".

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

Dick Trauma posted:

Holy poo poo, congrats man! I'm just a month into my new job, with a salary bump like yours, and it's been life changing.

Both the salary (breaking 6 figgies) and the environment are so much better. Best of luck dude!

Dradien fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 3, 2021

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I was thinking that I work for petty people, and didn't want to give them a long weekend to cook up something yucky for Tuesday morning. And giving two weeks notice on Tuesday is only costing them a single day, so I don't think that's unprofessional. I have no idea if they'll even use the two weeks, or freak out and hit the eject button.

I'm okay with doing it either way. The offer letter was already signed by the new place, so when I signed it became fully executed, for whatever that's worth.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 3, 2021

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Dick Trauma posted:

I was thinking that I work for petty people, and didn't want to give them a long weekend to cook up something yucky for Tuesday morning. And giving two weeks notice on Tuesday is only costing them a single day, so I don't think that's unprofessional. I have no idea if they'll even use the two weeks, or freak out and hit the eject button.

I'm okay with doing it either way. The offer letter was already signed by the new place, so when I signed it became fully executed, for whatever that's worth.

Cameo them!!!!!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
My crazy loving ciso has declared that the 8 hours it takes for Intune to sync configuration policies to azure aad computers is “unacceptable”. She has declared that I must fix it. I said that I can put in a support ticket and ask them nicely to change their product and she melted down. Paychecks still coming as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Sickening posted:

My crazy loving ciso has declared that the 8 hours it takes for Intune to sync configuration policies to azure aad computers is “unacceptable”. She has declared that I must fix it. I said that I can put in a support ticket and ask them nicely to change their product and she melted down. Paychecks still coming as far as I know.

Someone needs to send a cameo. Live off your wife’s money.

E: I think dick traumas old company is gonna be hiring soon.