Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Audio not needed, but recommended.
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qyrub2SF8j1w5pr9j.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

CarForumPoster posted:

Yep this is correct.

Most 2XX and 3XX alloys will be austenitic, save for some localized martensite due to work hardening, eg deep drawn 304 stainless.

A lot of stainless kitchen knives are 4xx.

Believe it or not, working in the window and door industry has taught me some about metallurgy. Specifically because for the longest time one of our salesmen sold contracts with "304SS marine-grade stainless" fasteners. Then, even as we were working these jobs, management switched to 410SS because it was cheaper. Was real fun when I got to explain to a room full of my bosses exactly why customers were complaining when they checked the fasteners with magnets and were suddenly demanding we come out and change out hundreds of fasteners.* :eng101:

* It's snowbirds in Florida with nothing better to do.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

D34THROW posted:

Believe it or not, working in the window and door industry has taught me some about metallurgy. Specifically because for the longest time one of our salesmen sold contracts with "304SS marine-grade stainless" fasteners. Then, even as we were working these jobs, management switched to 410SS because it was cheaper. Was real fun when I got to explain to a room full of my bosses exactly why customers were complaining when they checked the fasteners with magnets and were suddenly demanding we come out and change out hundreds of fasteners.* :eng101:

Nothing like waking up to the first spring stainless of the season.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

Hearing the Flashdance soundtrack in my head while watching this.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

jetz0r posted:

When I worked on a movie set with a camera drone, everyone except actors were forbidden from the area around the drone, and we were all given a safety briefing that amounted to 'if the horrifically loud swarm of bees sounds like it's getting too close, run or hide'. We pretty much did our lighting duties during those scenes, then hung out by our storage trailer while the drone was flying around. The drone was pretty big, loud, and scary, so I was perfectly happy staying away from it.

You'll never have the crocodile's warrior heart

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

SniperWoreConverse posted:

You'll never have the crocodile's warrior heart

Do not stick remaining arm into the flying open-air blender.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Do not stick remaining arm into the flying open-air blender.

Landis was just ahead of his time.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

D34THROW posted:

Of course it's FL. What, exactly, does it matter if they're magnetized or not?

Every time I talk to a roll-up door person here, they pump me for info on what I'm doing and how much it pays. Y'all have some of the most beaten down installers I ever met. New truck, all decked out, no nanny camera, full toolbox, but they hate the job.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

madeintaipei posted:

"If it's magnetic it's not real stainless and by God I payed a premium for the stainless."

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'd be pissed about being lied to by a contractor no matter what they lied about.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

madeintaipei posted:

Every time I talk to a roll-up door person here, they pump me for info on what I'm doing and how much it pays. Y'all have some of the most beaten down installers I ever met. New truck, all decked out, no nanny camera, full toolbox, but they hate the job.

Because it was sold as 304SS - which is nonmagnetic - and our customer base, as I said, is old farts with nothing better to do than take a magnet out and spot check the screws in their pool cage. This isn't even mentioning yet the one eagle-eyed customer that actually checked the markings on the screw heads and realized that what they got is a few grades down from what was actually sold to them.

In theory, in a coastal environment, which is anywhere up to and including ten miles inland (I think), the better the grade, the more corrosion-resistant it is. That's particularly important because stainless and aluminum tend not to get along if you don't get things just so. Galvanic corrosion isn't pretty, when a customer sends you a picture of their sliding glass door that they tried to shore up with stainless fasteners, and there's a hole the size of a quarter where the screw used to be because of the electrical potential between the shittier stainless grades and aluminum, and using non-coated screws.
:goonsay:

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

a few pages ago, but this song is an earworm

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Aren't those the, uh, shallow skins of plant matter covering near-liquid thawing permafrost soil, where if you go through, you're basically loving dead because there's no way you're gonna manage to surface again?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

PurpleXVI posted:

Aren't those the, uh, shallow skins of plant matter covering near-liquid thawing permafrost soil, where if you go through, you're basically loving dead because there's no way you're gonna manage to surface again?

Yep, that's why you gotta always wear yer hardhat.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Sure can be.
That or just a swampy area with a thick mat of vegetation over the top, permafrost technically doesn't thaw (hence 'perma') but it does hold water on the surface which makes those swamps. That water is cold af.

It's kinda like quicksand, if you panic and struggle you'll get all tangled up and sink but if you chill you'll float probably.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

D34THROW posted:

Because it was sold as 304SS - which is nonmagnetic - and our customer base, as I said, is old farts with nothing better to do than take a magnet out and spot check the screws in their pool cage. This isn't even mentioning yet the one eagle-eyed customer that actually checked the markings on the screw heads and realized that what they got is a few grades down from what was actually sold to them.

In theory, in a coastal environment, which is anywhere up to and including ten miles inland (I think), the better the grade, the more corrosion-resistant it is. That's particularly important because stainless and aluminum tend not to get along if you don't get things just so. Galvanic corrosion isn't pretty, when a customer sends you a picture of their sliding glass door that they tried to shore up with stainless fasteners, and there's a hole the size of a quarter where the screw used to be because of the electrical potential between the shittier stainless grades and aluminum, and using non-coated screws.
:goonsay:

It gets better: mechanical stress (say, some ways of forming a bolt's head, or shredding for recycling), can alter the magnetic properties of SS. Suddenly you get parts half magnetic, half not, or your ferrous fraction gets polluted by what used to be non magnetic stainless steel (if you use a stong magnet, the effect is weak).

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Spatule posted:

It gets better: mechanical stress (say, some ways of forming a bolt's head, or shredding for recycling), can alter the magnetic properties of SS. Suddenly you get parts half magnetic, half not, or your ferrous fraction gets polluted by what used to be non magnetic stainless steel (if you use a stong magnet, the effect is weak).

Just hit it with a hammer or something. I used to demag parts during machining by hitting them with a machinists peen.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

PurpleXVI posted:

Could also just be a swamp of floating plant matter. Either way it's probably about as dangerous as swimming under mangrove tree roots; Sure, they could trap you and keep you from resurfacing, but exactly how hard do you have to try to get yourself in to that situation?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Just hit it with a hammer or something. I used to demag parts during machining by hitting them with a machinists peen.

Didn't the machinist object?

follow that camel!!
Jan 1, 2006

There’s a lot of safety looking stuff. But this doesn’t seem that safe.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMRAo2hPQ/

Edit: I thought TikTok things embedded but I guess I’m not that smart. Window installation in a high rise goes wrong, so you know where the click takes you.

follow that camel!! fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 2, 2021

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/vNZIsB1.mp4

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Didn't the machinist object?

Nah, Chris was cool about it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Serephina posted:

Could also just be a swamp of floating plant matter. Either way it's probably about as dangerous as swimming under mangrove tree roots; Sure, they could trap you and keep you from resurfacing, but exactly how hard do you have to try to get yourself in to that situation?

Yeah, you'd have to be like, jumping around or dancing on top of it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I was actually in a swamp field just like that a few weeks ago. It was like standing on a water bed. Got an excavator good and stuck in it and had to pull it out. Good times. It basically scrapped further down into the mud and created a 5 foot deep pit pulling it out until it hit something dry. Could not really break through with my boots, when I did all the insane amount of roots kept me from sinking too much

ethanol fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 2, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

D34THROW posted:

I got to explain to a room full of my bosses exactly why customers were complaining when they checked the fasteners with magnets and were suddenly demanding we come out and change out hundreds of fasteners.* :eng101:

Yeah no I would also be quite pissed off if I ordered 304SS hardware, which is specifically more corrosion-resistant than many other grades especially in saltwater environments, and got 410 instead. Especially in Florida.

Maybe they've got nothing better to do, but with all the horseshit counterfeits all over Amazon etc these days I would probably be checking my fasteners too if I was planning to rely on their properties.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

D34THROW posted:

At my second bike shop, I had to fully renipple a retired couple's matching road bikes after their year in Florida. You could crush them to dust with a pair of pliers.

Screw you guys, I'm magneting my door screws.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Groda posted:

At my second bike shop, I had to fully renipple a retired couple's matching road bikes after their year in Florida. You could crush them to dust with a pair of pliers.

Screw you guys, I'm magneting my door screws.

Bikes have nipples?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Bikes have nipples?

can you milk a bike fokker

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

D34THROW posted:

One of the early highlights of my manufacturing career was realizing I'd learned to tell stainless from low carbon by flavor

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Bikes have nipples?

usually 72!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

PurpleXVI posted:

Yeah, you'd have to be like, jumping around or dancing on top of it.

It's stagnant water. If you fall in you just float there feeling icky. You have to actively swim downwards to get your head under the water, and that's after pulling your leg out of the hole it made so you can try to fit your torso in.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/YI1gKsX.mp4

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Serephina posted:

It's stagnant water. If you fall in you just float there feeling icky. You have to actively swim downwards to get your head under the water, and that's after pulling your leg out of the hole it made so you can try to fit your torso in.
Grown rear end men have drowned in 3ft of winterized pool water because their leg punched through and they got disoriented when water ended up above and below the mat. I've always heard of treating matted wetland with the same respect as a pool tarp and it makes sense to me.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Groda posted:

At my second bike shop, I had to fully renipple a retired couple

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Serephina posted:

I mean, if you're hitting the mat with enough force to break through, you're also probably gonna end up under the surface unless you're lucky and it's just the one leg that punches through while the rest of you stays above. At that point you're in what's probably a pitch-black aquatic environment, with no idea where the hole you came in through is.

I don't really expect there's a whole lot of air between the mat and the water's surface for you to breathe.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

its not a void full of water its a elastic mix of peaty mud soils, root, and a lot of water, very inconsistently mixed. you dont break through and enter some sort of water chamber below a crust. it's basically really hard to sink more than a leg in in that stuff, even as watery as it looks, even if you completely removed the top surface. otherwise that top surface would never last

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Lotta fuckin' armchair theory here, I have never heard of any other ranger/workers referring to swamp matts as anything other than inconvenient (or funny). Helicopters, chainsaws, poison, all sorts of health&safety stuff. Not the floating vegetation.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

ethanol posted:

its not a void full of water its a elastic mix of peaty mud soils, root, and a lot of water, very inconsistently mixed. you dont break through and enter some sort of water chamber below a crust. it's basically really hard to sink more than a leg in in that stuff, even as watery as it looks, even if you completely removed the top surface. otherwise that top surface would never last
It's like a weird root-dirt sponge?

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

I don't see the issue. The switch is controlling the flow of current.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

PetraCore posted:

It's like a weird root-dirt sponge?

yeah basically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

ethanol posted:

yeah basically