Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Milo and POTUS posted:

Mouse3 isn't working on my still relatively new (~8months) wireless razer basilisk. It's done this before and last time it just randomly started working again but I have no clue if I actually did anything to make it work. Every youtube vid on the middle mouse button focuses on the scroll but really the clicking is way important to me for both browsing (opening and closing tabs especially) and gaming (alt fire generally). I'm an idiot and it didn't have a receipt so I never bothered to fill out the warranty. I assume it's too late for that? Anyway, is this typical in any way?

To add on, just about any place you bought it from, unless it was used or the like, can print you out a new receipt. Best Buy I know can, but that might depend on if you gave them your name and such. Walmart could be iffy, but they should?

If you have a can of compressed air, ya might want to try and shoot it down the sides of the wheel. It could be something as simple as a hair is caught in there preventing the connection somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah I'm going to try that next time I go to town.

Anyway, my sister bought it with an employee discount and I'm not sure if that's pertinent or not

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/j0nh4t/status/1429049506021138437

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Speaking of Razer, I’ve decided to step away from MMO mice so I’m either looking at the Deathadder or Basilisk (V2 with the optical switches, I don’t care about wireless.) I guess the Basilisk is more customizable and the Deathadder is more ergonomic out of the box, but I’m not super picky about mice as long as they have a couple customizable buttons. Tilt scroll wheel or whatever it’s called isn’t a big deal to me either way.

Does anyone have a recommendation either way?

e: I think I’m a fingertip grip person, so whichever mouse is better for that is likely the winner.

e2: I ordered the Deathadder.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 24, 2021

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Arivia posted:

Speaking of Razer, I’ve decided to step away from MMO mice so I’m either looking at the Deathadder or Basilisk (V2 with the optical switches, I don’t care about wireless.) I guess the Basilisk is more customizable and the Deathadder is more ergonomic out of the box, but I’m not super picky about mice as long as they have a couple customizable buttons. Tilt scroll wheel or whatever it’s called isn’t a big deal to me either way.

Does anyone have a recommendation either way?

e: I think I’m a fingertip grip person, so whichever mouse is better for that is likely the winner.

e2: I ordered the Deathadder.

Unless you have very large hands you'll probably have trouble with a fingertip grip on the DeathAdder. I have medium-small hands and I can barely even claw grip it. The Basilisk works better for me for both of those grips (despite not being able to reach the sniper button). I certainly wouldn't call it less ergonomic either, but it's slightly heavier.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

runawayturtles posted:

Unless you have very large hands you'll probably have trouble with a fingertip grip on the DeathAdder. I have medium-small hands and I can barely even claw grip it. The Basilisk works better for me for both of those grips (despite not being able to reach the sniper button). I certainly wouldn't call it less ergonomic either, but it's slightly heavier.

I guess I have monster hands then, since it's been working out great for me so far!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Looking for a corded mouse with at least three buttons and a scroll wheel, been using a logitech g300 for a year or so and have found it fine but the left clicker is failing and so I’m kinda against dropping cash for a new one after it only lasting that long. Don’t need anything fancy, are there any suggestions for a sturdy enough mouse to swap for it that won’t break the bank?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
All modern mice with physical switches tend to fail prematurely, apparently due to below-spec voltages causing switches to stop switching properly. I don't have a comprehensive list of optical switch mice, but the Viper Mini is a $30 mouse with optical switches that should be much more reliable.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Just get a Microsoft wired office mouse, they last as long as anything and they're $10.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

K8.0 posted:

All modern mice with physical switches tend to fail prematurely, apparently due to below-spec voltages causing switches to stop switching properly. I don't have a comprehensive list of optical switch mice, but the Viper Mini is a $30 mouse with optical switches that should be much more reliable.

Not all modern mice, just the ones chasing low power draw. A wired mouse should have much fewer issues since they're not trying to ration their battery.

Supposedly local temperature/humidity also affects the double clicking issue frequency but that's harder to really confirm as the root cause.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
At least we no longer have to worry about mouse balls.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

K8.0 posted:

list of optical switch mice

From the top of my head: Razer, Roccat, Steelseries(only their Prime mice), Coolermaster MM731. Probably missing a mouse or two. Honorable mention to some Asus mice that let you hotswap the switches which also gets around the double click issue.

Kitfox88 posted:

Looking for a corded mouse with at least three buttons and a scroll wheel, been using a logitech g300 for a year or so and have found it fine but the left clicker is failing and so I’m kinda against dropping cash for a new one after it only lasting that long. Don’t need anything fancy, are there any suggestions for a sturdy enough mouse to swap for it that won’t break the bank?

Try any mouse from the above list. Even better if you can give it a shot in person to see if you like the shape. All of them except Coolermaster should have a wired option that fits your criteria while also being inexpensive.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I go through a G600 about every other year and mine just started double clicking again. They're cheap enough that I don't really mind, but I figured I'd do my due diligence and explore other options.

Are there any other MMO mice with a ring finger button? I find that pretty crucial in games for stuff like dodge/melee, and the 12 thumb buttons are essential for non-gaming use. Decent, supported drivers would be a plus as well. Triple bonus points if they can detect Game Pass games for profile switching. Logitech Gaming Software feels like and end-of-life product, but last I tried it, G-Hub was useless.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Thoom posted:

I go through a G600 about every other year and mine just started double clicking again. They're cheap enough that I don't really mind, but I figured I'd do my due diligence and explore other options.

Are there any other MMO mice with a ring finger button? I find that pretty crucial in games for stuff like dodge/melee, and the 12 thumb buttons are essential for non-gaming use. Decent, supported drivers would be a plus as well. Triple bonus points if they can detect Game Pass games for profile switching. Logitech Gaming Software feels like and end-of-life product, but last I tried it, G-Hub was useless.

Lol I never knew that extra finger-scallop on the right side of the G600 was yet another button. There are other mice with the giant numpad of thumb buttons, but afaik no gaming type mouse at all does three buttons across the top like that.

https://www.rtings.com/mouse/reviews/razer/naga-pro
https://www.rtings.com/mouse/reviews/corsair/scimitar-rgb-elite
https://www.rtings.com/mouse/reviews/utechsmart/venus-pro
https://www.rtings.com/mouse/reviews/redragon/m913-impact-elite

That brings up an interesting question: how many people here, in your normal mouse grip, have your fingers in A vs B?
a) middle on the mouse wheel all the time, ring on right click
b) middle on right click, ring for grip only, shift a finger to use wheel

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm B.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Camp B for sure, except in the rare circumstances where I need to scroll and drag at the same time.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
As a kid I was in the B camp (albeit with both fingers on RMB instead of using ring finger to grip), then after getting into FPS games I made a conscious decision to retrain myself to always keep my middle finger on the wheel. Solid A camp now. :confuoot:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
B

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

isndl posted:

As a kid I was in the B camp (albeit with both fingers on RMB instead of using ring finger to grip), then after getting into FPS games I made a conscious decision to retrain myself to always keep my middle finger on the wheel. Solid A camp now. :confuoot:

i can feel a faint pain past my wrist just resting my middle finger on the MMB. i imagine i wouldn't last a day if i actually tried using it for clicking.

although, if given the opportunity i rebind MMB to something else accessible by the index finger.

e:
while i'm here, i just wanted to say that on the whole i'm satisfied with the M720, but it has the worst thumb buttons i've ever used. they're small and not particularly comfortable, but the bigger issue is that there's three of them and it can be hard to tell them apart by touch. and accidentally pressing the third one can turn on my other computer.

really bad design, imo

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 31, 2021

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

A if I'm using my Anker vertical mouse
B if I'm using my G602/G604

My G602 that I got as a warranty replacement back in 2016 is actually still working like a champ. But I got the G604 as its eventual replacement since I know it's a ticking time bomb. Definitely do not like the way the scroll wheel feels on it though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

gently caress MMOs but I have one of these and find it good for even the likes of your Warzone and such

I mean you think, you have shoot, aim, grenade, reload, ping, melee, gadget, map, the list goes on. I like having a direct button for all of it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

codo27 posted:

gently caress MMOs but I have one of these and find it good for even the likes of your Warzone and such

I mean you think, you have shoot, aim, grenade, reload, ping, melee, gadget, map, the list goes on. I like having a direct button for all of it

yeah i'd like to try that. plus it has two extra index finger buttons.

e:looks like it's out of stock in many places. (Rival 500)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Klyith posted:

That brings up an interesting question: how many people here, in your normal mouse grip, have your fingers in A vs B?

B. But I also use my middle finger to scroll not my index finger.

A / 131 style is just weird to me. Also it feels cramped with all 3 fingers across the top unless you have a seriously wide mouse.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

As long as you're not one of the subhumans who puts VOIP on mouse, do whatever you want. Any button that you may intermittently need to hold while aiming should not be on the mouse.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i'm assuming this isn't what you were referring to

(also, WTF)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

halokiller posted:

A if I'm using my Anker vertical mouse
B if I'm using my G602/G604

My G602 that I got as a warranty replacement back in 2016 is actually still working like a champ. But I got the G604 as its eventual replacement since I know it's a ticking time bomb. Definitely do not like the way the scroll wheel feels on it though.

the g604's scroll wheel has a bit of a wear in period. It felt like complete poo poo for a couple days but spinning it a bunch in ratchet mode got it feeling more or less normal in short order and it hasn't changed much since.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Rinkles posted:

i'm assuming this isn't what you were referring to

(also, WTF)

They probably meant this one

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
So I'm type A and while I figured B was the majority, I didn't know it was so overwhelming!

Clarifies a couple things about mouse shape and especially wheel feel where I knew I had a different take than most people, but never knew why the other opinions were quite so vehement. Like, I never have problems with accidental wheel-scroll while middle-clicking or whatnot.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

A / 131 style is just weird to me. Also it feels cramped with all 3 fingers across the top unless you have a seriously wide mouse.

I think it only works with some variation of palm grip. If you do claw or fingertip it would put too much stress on the pinky, since you need oppositional force vs the thumb to secure the mouse. (Personally I find claw completely mystifying, like just positioning my fingers in a claw grip on a mouse feels bad and torturous.)

I do a sort of half-palm: the whole of my fingers and bottom of the knuckle is in contact with the mouse, but not the middle or heel of my palm. Results in a fairly straight wrist and fingers that seems to be good for ergo. All 3 fingers on the buttons and wheel are just barely apart, like a tiny air gap between them. The G700 isn't unusually wide, I guess I have slim fingers.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I need a new mouse, and I've always had a wired mouse. How are wireless mice for FPS? I figured the technology has probably come a long way since I looked at wireless mice in like 2012.

e: i have an old DeathAdder Chroma, and am looking at the DeathAdder v2 or pro, or taking other suggested for something with similar ergos.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Wireless mice are good now, and perform just as well as wired mice. If you like the DeathAdder shape, the V2 or V2 Pro are both good choices. It just comes down to which slight hassle you'd prefer: a wire, or having to charge every few days.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Wired will probably last a little longer on average before developing Dread Doubleclick Disease, right?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Optical switches are the way to avoid double click disease. There may be some wired mice running higher voltages and thus possibly being more reliable, but I wouldn't count on it in general.

In terms of responsiveness, since Logitech and then Razer and then several others put out their latest gen wireless, most of the best performing mice are actually wireless. Unless you're going for an 8khz polling rate mouse, wireless is the way to go now if money is not a concern. Not having a cord and finally for REAL having no latency penalty is great.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Eric the Mauve posted:

Wired will probably last a little longer on average before developing Dread Doubleclick Disease, right?

Not really an issue for someone looking at Razer mice with optical switches.

For Logitech mice that have the big doubleclick issue in particular, maaaaybe. The DDD is a confluence of factors, only one of which is power saving for wireless battery. For one thing, the wired ones are using the same low voltage IC and circuits as the wireless ones.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I got a new razer viper (the 8khz one, which i have no need or plan to run above 1khz :shrug:) and i'm happy to report the optical switches now officially Feel Good

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Pulsar's EC2 clone is now wireless, 58 grams, and has a 3370 and Kailh 8.0's. If I could change anything it would be swapping the scroll wheel encoder out for a slightly more tactile one.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Yerok posted:

Pulsar's EC2 clone is now wireless, 58 grams, and has a 3370 and Kailh 8.0's. If I could change anything it would be swapping the scroll wheel encoder out for a slightly more tactile one.

Have a look at the MM730 - it's got the 3370, is 59g, a body that doesn't look like a grater, battery life that does last for days, and optical switches that don't feel any worse than the v1 Razer opticals. So far I've been pleasantly surprised by it.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Tornhelm posted:

Have a look at the MM730 - it's got the 3370, is 59g, a body that doesn't look like a grater, battery life that does last for days, and optical switches that don't feel any worse than the v1 Razer opticals. So far I've been pleasantly surprised by it.

I'll probably try out an MM731 once they're on amazon. I just haven't found any optical switch implementation that I liked.

If the KPA had better QC and mechanical switches I probably would have just stuck with that.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Klyith posted:

Just saw this, I'm in the A camp. Because so many people said they were B in this thread, I tried B and I was immediately like my hands, i don't understand them anymore

EDIT: For fun, I put my mouse in my left hand, and it immediately went molded into B. My hands have different preferences!

Artelier fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 3, 2021

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Kitfox88 posted:

Yeah Logi seems to be going down the drain more and more :smith:
The Steelseries Rival 3 gets mentioned a lot in the $30 segment.
I got one yesterday and it seems nice enough, the software is not intrusive and you can ditch it after setting up the basics. Every setting bar the complex macros is saved to the mouse itself.
It's very lightweight, so I actually had to fine tune some negative acceleration settings for short range precision.
RGB options are very pretty but I got rid off it, too distracting in my FoV.

Though it's strictly for claw grip or light semi-palm users only, the right ridge is too high/there is no thumb support for full palm resting.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Sep 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Klyith posted:

I'm a bizarro mish-mash of the two: option A but I use middle finger to right-click.

When I play WoW (which has this weird dual-camera-controlled-by-mouse setup), I have middle on right-click at all times and shift middle to use scrollwheel to adjust camera zoom or scroll a list or whatever else it does.