Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Tree Dude posted:

Sadly I suspect he'll get on the air in a few days and become another in the chorus of "see I got it. It wasn't so bad. We don't need vaccines we just need to sleep 8 hours a night and drink lots of water to keep the immune system healthy!"

He will absolutely do this and the kicker is it's even dumber than what Trump said after he got it and what Trump said was pretty loving dumb.

Trump also went "see it's not that bad it's just the flu and you'll be fine if you're a real man like me" but he went on to say it was because we have all these great treatments like monoclonals and remdesivir that most of you can't afford so just get infected it's no big deal and now he's saying "yeah get vaccinated I got the shot, it works, I'm fine, if it were bad I would tell you"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rogan fans are the most overconfident dumb people I’ve ever met.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Personally, I'm waiting for all the "How come it's only red states and conservatives are dying from this, hmmmm? Makes you think" takes that will no doubt be arriving soon if they haven't already.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There was already people wondering why GOP politicians got it at higher rates

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Casimir Radon posted:

Rogan fans are the most overconfident dumb people I’ve ever met.

They are following the lead of their empty headed credulous leader. Rogan’s whole thing is he falls in scalp-deep into whatever bullshit the last person who talked to him says because he’s that big of a smooth brained rube, and a lot of really malicious people have taken advantage of that overconfident gullibility of his and just used him as a giant bullhorn for bullshit since he is utterly undiscerning because he’s too stupid to give a poo poo.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Tree Dude posted:

Sadly I suspect he'll get on the air in a few days and become another in the chorus of "see I got it. It wasn't so bad. We don't need vaccines we just need to sleep 8 hours a night and drink lots of water to keep the immune system healthy!"

The one sliver of light I can imagine is that he tries to tough it out at home because he's such a big strong man and he only gets actual medical treatment once it's too late. He's exactly the kind of guy who will just ignore it until he starts passing out from low oxygen levels and then just take every pill and paste that he ordered from his online pharmacist.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

He’s a giant dumbass

I've brought this up before in other threads but it blew my mind when the list of episodes that weren't making the move to Spotify came out the Owen Benjamin was on five loving times. Even before the dude went totally nuts and full blow antisemite and destroyed his career he wasn't a big enough figure to get more than maybe one appearance.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

PhazonLink posted:

fwiw, there's some bird popular posts saying that "Rogan is the Gwyneth Paltrow/Oprah of men"

to escalate to the truly Goop level, gonna need a little work and some more merchandising grift, but he's in a position for it

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There was already people wondering why GOP politicians got it at higher rates

Oh.

Yeah, that's a real tough nut to crack there. I can't think of any logical reasons myself beyond the Biden Deep State conspiracy. Pretty mysterious and hard to figure out.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rogan is ambiguous about what his actual political beliefs are, purposely I think. He has a never ending train of alt-right losers on his show, but he’s careful not to be too clear about what he actually believes for plausible deniability.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Personally, I'm waiting for all the "How come it's only red states and conservatives are dying from this, hmmmm? Makes you think" takes that will no doubt be arriving soon if they haven't already.

Dude they've been doing that since Herman Cain died, and it went into overdrive when practically the entire administration got infected at ACB's Rose Garden reception.

"Viruses don't know about political parties so why is it mostly Republicans getting it at their crowded unmasked parties, biowarfare attacks by liberal infiltrators?"

It's great because you'd think that would be reason to be even more careful if you thought your receptions were targets for biowarfare attacks but nope apparently it's just an excuse to keep ignoring the need for any precautions at all. My maskless superspreader rallies would be just fine if liberals would stop sneaking in to spray covid on us!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
According to drunk duck (not :tinsley: but the dude who mostly draws it now, Fishman):

It's all just a media hit job to try and stop the super popular GOP politicians that would win the next presidential election.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Dude they've been doing that since Herman Cain died, and it went into overdrive when practically the entire administration got infected at ACB's Rose Garden reception.

"Viruses don't know about political parties so why is it mostly Republicans getting it at their crowded unmasked parties, biowarfare attacks by liberal infiltrators?"

It's great because you'd think that would be reason to be even more careful if you thought your receptions were targets for biowarfare attacks but nope apparently it's just an excuse to keep ignoring the need for any precautions at all. My maskless superspreader rallies would be just fine if liberals would stop sneaking in to spray covid on us!

Oh.

Sorry. I've been paying less attention to this poo poo lately and cut off my FB for the sake of my own mental health.

So....liberals are spraying Covid on people (which is a hoax and no big deal) to kill people that refuse vaccinations that have microchips in them and every place that sees a spike in infections are places that refuse the Free vaccination and people eat bleach and horse worm medicine instead.

What's the plan and the end game here, exactly?

I mean I can't say I'm exactly crushed that assholes in Mississippi and Arkansas who want me to die of AIDS for being bisexual and not of Christ are dying from a virus that has a shot you can get for free or that's fought in part by something as trivial as wearing a mask on your dumb face that stomps on your freedoms but...is it a hoax, a bio weapon from China, no big deal or...? UH...Pick something.

Have they forgotten that Trump "fast tracked" the vaccine and took credit for it? May have been one of the few things he possibly did right and only just recently encouraged people to take?

Oh yeah. The one time they booed him.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 2, 2021

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I can’t believe Mallard Fillmore actually ran in actual newspapers. Pretty sure neither my hometown paper growing up, or the Star Tribune ever ran it, because, er, actual standards and poo poo. It’s been running for 27 years, and it kept going after the original guy got 2 DUIs in 2006 and attacked the judge who sentenced him for them in the strip.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh.

Sorry. I've been paying less attention to this poo poo lately and cut off my FB for the sake of my own mental health.

you're fine it's just funny

Like yeah you're right "hm why are the people ignoring medical advice the ones getting sick the most, conspiracy???" is exactly the kind of stupid thing a conservative would say, you better believe they already beat you to it lol

And don't hurt your brain trying to find the logic in it, it's not supposed to make sense, it's just an excuse to absolve themselves of the consequences of their actions because they're too full of themselves to ever admit they were wrong.

Unmasked conservatives keep getting sick, it's not because masks work it's because of liberal sabotage. We don't need to wear masks we need to watch out for liberal saboteurs who could still infect us whether we wear useless face diapers or not!

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 2, 2021

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Eventually, one of these days, that virus is gonna get loving DESTROYED by logic

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

BiggerBoat posted:

So....liberals are spraying Covid on people (which is a hoax and no big deal) to kill people that refuse vaccinations that have microchips in them and every place that sees a spike in infections are places that refuse the Free vaccination and people eat bleach and horse worm medicine instead.

I mean I can't say I'm exactly crushed that assholes in Mississippi and Arkansas who want me to die of AIDS for being bisexual and not of Christ are dying from a virus that has a shot you can get for free or that's fought in part by something as trivial as wearing a mask on your dumb face that stomps on your freedoms but...is it a hoax, a bio weapon from China, no big deal or...? UH...Pick something.

To the Alex Joneses of the world, the Jab (because they refuse to call it a vaccine) causes the injected to produce spike proteins, which they then breathe onto the uninfected. Covid-19 is a super-weak disease that every normal healthy immune system can easily fight, but the "Delta variant" (which isn't related to COVID at all, mind you) is actually super dangerous and caused by the spike proteins of the injected. Thus, this whole thing is the fault of people who got the Death Jab, since they're all walking biohazards. The government planned all of this for population control; the spike proteins are taking out all of the conservatives, and the Instant Death Chemicals that the government secretly slipped into the Death Jab are going to kick in any day now. The only way for you to survive the upcoming massive die-offs are to buy ivermectin, Brain Force and Tactical Baths.

Sure, your average Republican might not believe that exact narrative... But they'll find other, less-stupid-on-their-faces ways to shift the blame and excuse the people eating horse dewormer as a prophylactic.

There isn't really an endgame per se, at least from their end, it's just them trying to shift blame away from themselves and further demonize the evil leftist sheeple who have been secretly evil and stupid all along.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
"jab" is the slang they us in the UK and New Zealand for needle shots. (I have been watching the panel / gameshow Taskmaster a lot laterly, me mentioning this is a soft/stealth rec.)

that might be a hint on where the regressive poo poo came from.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 2, 2021

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/ConsPostingLs/status/1433448630397149191

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

you're fine it's just funny

Like yeah you're right "hm why are the people ignoring medical advice the ones getting sick the most, conspiracy???" is exactly the kind of stupid thing a conservative would say, you better believe they already beat you to it lol

And don't hurt your brain trying to find the logic in it, it's not supposed to make sense, it's just an excuse to absolve themselves of the consequences of their actions because they're too full of themselves to ever admit they were wrong.

Unmasked conservatives keep getting sick, it's not because masks work it's because of liberal sabotage. We don't need to wear masks we need to watch out for liberal saboteurs who could still infect us whether we wear useless face diapers or not!

Yeah, thanks and I get it and I know. There IS no logic.

Thing is, at least where I live, the crazy and and angry dials seem to be noticeably getting turned to high lately.

When I say it's in the air and absolutely palpable, I mean it. And I live in an area that's only kinda sorta batshit and is known for being laid back but it's getting noticeably worse and everyone has an attitude and/or is broke. And broken. Used to be just kinda Jimmy Buffet AquaNeck types but just over the last year, it's taken a hard turn towards Charlie Daniels poo poo. Our schools are in a shambles already with COVID. Like I said, I can't even ponder reports on the ground from Really DEEP RED STATES. Texas just made it legal to open carry firearms without a permit of any sort and passed that abortion law.

Things feel like they're approaching critical mass and Joe Biden is certainly not gonna lead us out of anything, let alone my shithead governor, DeSantis. Lotta Jesus-ish poo poo, guns and guns and guns and Jesus and ammo and guns and Jesus and more guns rhetoric flying around here in my quiet little beach fishing town and folks are getting weird about it. Most people are dealing with it by flying more and more and bigger US flags.

Tick tock tick tock.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I can't believe this lead to a multi-page derail in US News of people legitimately going "Medicare For All means Medicare For Fascists Too, guys." when people started laughing at her.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

nine-gear crow posted:

I can't believe this lead to a multi-page derail in US News of people legitimately going "Medicare For All means Medicare For Fascists Too, guys." when people started laughing at her.

It was just a couple of concern trolls trying to be edgy.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, thanks and I get it and I know. There IS no logic.

Thing is, at least where I live, the crazy and and angry dials seem to be noticeably getting turned to high lately.

When I say it's in the air and absolutely palpable, I mean it. And I live in an area that's only kinda sorta batshit and is known for being laid back but it's getting noticeably worse and everyone has an attitude and/or is broke. And broken. Used to be just kinda Jimmy Buffet AquaNeck types but just over the last year, it's taken a hard turn towards Charlie Daniels poo poo. Our schools are in a shambles already with COVID. Like I said, I can't even ponder reports on the ground from Really DEEP RED STATES. Texas just made it legal to open carry firearms without a permit of any sort and passed that abortion law.

Things feel like they're approaching critical mass and Joe Biden is certainly not gonna lead us out of anything, let alone my shithead governor, DeSantis. Lotta Jesus-ish poo poo, guns and guns and guns and Jesus and ammo and guns and Jesus and more guns rhetoric flying around here in my quiet little beach fishing town and folks are getting weird about it. Most people are dealing with it by flying more and more and bigger US flags.

Tick tock tick tock.

Well at least they're not flying confederate flags? Always looking on the bright side here.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

To the Alex Joneses of the world, the Jab (because they refuse to call it a vaccine) causes the injected to produce spike proteins, which they then breathe onto the uninfected. Covid-19 is a super-weak disease that every normal healthy immune system can easily fight, but the "Delta variant" (which isn't related to COVID at all, mind you) is actually super dangerous and caused by the spike proteins of the injected. Thus, this whole thing is the fault of people who got the Death Jab, since they're all walking biohazards. The government planned all of this for population control; the spike proteins are taking out all of the conservatives, and the Instant Death Chemicals that the government secretly slipped into the Death Jab are going to kick in any day now. The only way for you to survive the upcoming massive die-offs are to buy ivermectin, Brain Force and Tactical Baths.

I love this one, because if the vaccine is a Prisoners' Dilemma where getting it is not dangerous to you but royally fucks everyone around you, then according to their selfish FYGM ideology they should be stampeding to be first in line to get it so they can cough spike protein all over the poor saps who got there after them. I guess that's why they have to also add in the part about the time bomb chemical that kills you in 5 years so their audience doesn't hear "the vaccine only kills the unvaccinated" and run out and get it instead of buying Infowars Soy-Based Immune Boosters.

It would be funny if they started masking up and staying home to protect themselves from spike protein shedders, because that would also be the sensible thing to do if they really believe in killer spike proteins floating around everywhere, but I know they won't because they've decided masks and social distancing are fake and gay and for sheep.

Are they selling a pill or a leaf or a crystal that neutralizes spike protein yet.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I keep hearing people saying "Well actually it's the fault of vaccinated people that there's a delta variant, because so many people having the vaccine means the virus has more chances to adapt to it and mutate."

I'm not a biologist or a virologist, but I want to make sure I'm not going to say something incorrect if I respond to one of these people. From what I understand, viruses reproduce by infecting a cell and forcing that cell to make copies of itself. In people that are vaccinated, the virus would be taken out fairly quickly and wouldn't get much of a chance to adapt or mutate. Because (if I'm remembering right) the way viruses mutate is when the cell is copying the virus that infected it, sometimes the copying is imperfect and that imperfect copy might go on to thrive and now you have a variant.

Is all this correct? I know that people that are vaccinated/naturally immune to something could possibly cause a variant, but the odds are probably pretty low, yes?

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Twelve by Pies posted:

I keep hearing people saying "Well actually it's the fault of vaccinated people that there's a delta variant, because so many people having the vaccine means the virus has more chances to adapt to it and mutate."

I'm not a biologist or a virologist, but I want to make sure I'm not going to say something incorrect if I respond to one of these people. From what I understand, viruses reproduce by infecting a cell and forcing that cell to make copies of itself. In people that are vaccinated, the virus would be taken out fairly quickly and wouldn't get much of a chance to adapt or mutate. Because (if I'm remembering right) the way viruses mutate is when the cell is copying the virus that infected it, sometimes the copying is imperfect and that imperfect copy might go on to thrive and now you have a variant.

Is all this correct? I know that people that are vaccinated/naturally immune to something could possibly cause a variant, but the odds are probably pretty low, yes?

Delta was identified first in India in December. Vaccinations in India started in January. That’s pretty much all you have to know, strictly speaking.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

They are following the lead of their empty headed credulous leader. Rogan’s whole thing is he falls in scalp-deep into whatever bullshit the last person who talked to him says because he’s that big of a smooth brained rube, and a lot of really malicious people have taken advantage of that overconfident gullibility of his and just used him as a giant bullhorn for bullshit since he is utterly undiscerning because he’s too stupid to give a poo poo.

Someone post his interview with the ex-CIA guy who kept telling him he was a credulous rube who agrees too much and Rogan... agreed with him.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Twelve by Pies posted:

This is why we have eleventy billion variants of measles running rampant throughout the world :rolleyes:

(Not at you, TBP, at the idiots whose logic doesn't even make it two seconds.)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hollandia posted:

Someone post his interview with the ex-CIA guy who kept telling him he was a credulous rube who agrees too much and Rogan... agreed with him.

The only full interview of his I've ever watched was one from like 15 years ago when he was just starting out and nobody knew or cared about him. He was interviewing Les Stourd, aka the "Survivorman" from the Discovery Channel--the Canadian discount Bear Grills. And Stroud talked about an incident he had in the wilderness where he allegedly encountered something he believed to be a sasquatch. The longer the interview goes on, the more it's clear that Stroud is just bullshitting him and talking out of his rear end, but he's such a good storyteller that Rogan is absolutely captivated by this clearly either false or misconstrued incident that Stroud is leading him through secondhand and it just became a feedback loop between the two of them until Rogan's peabrain breaks the warp barrier and he just starts going "Wooooah, duuuuuuude, you're blowing my miiiiiiiiind".

That fact that this dipshit with a room temperature IQ is considered a major thought leader among an entire generation of people on this planet is terrifying and an another bullet point on our rapidly approaching epitaph as species.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 3, 2021

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Les Stroud owns and Bear Grylls is a hack fraud.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

packetmantis posted:

Les Stroud owns and Bear Grylls is a hack fraud.

Not arguing that point, he's a legitimately good survival expert, I'm just calling bullshit on the idea that he ran into Bigfoot.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

nine-gear crow posted:

Not arguing that point, he's a legitimately good survival expert, I'm just calling bullshit on the idea that he ran into Bigfoot.

I think a convincing case could be made that Joe Rogan is a 3/4 scale model of a 3/4 hairless Bigfoot

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yes, but viruses only mutate when they're producing "offspring", and they're only doing that when they're in a host body where they can, and it's much more difficult to do that when the host is vaccinated. The Delta Variant, by definition, must have incubated in an unvaccinated person

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh.

Have they forgotten that Trump "fast tracked" the vaccine and took credit for it? May have been one of the few things he possibly did right and only just recently encouraged people to take?

Oh yeah. The one time they booed him.

I think that White-Russian Duck is saying that Covid really isn't bad, it's just the media is hyping it up in certain places to hurt the GOP

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

BiggerBoat posted:

To be fair, this isn't one of the things he even should get credit for; it's the basic absolute bare loving minimum expected of a functioning government in reaction to a pandemic. It's on the same level as wearing pants to a press conference.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Dirk the Average posted:

To be fair, this isn't one of the things he even should get credit for; it's the basic absolute bare loving minimum expected of a functioning government in reaction to a pandemic. It's on the same level as wearing pants to a press conference.

As it stands right now, the absolute bare minimum is more than Biden is doing.
EDIT: To clarify, Trump did worse than just the bare minimum and downplayed the threat constantly, used it to stoke racism, and also encouraged people to inject poison - although since that was aimed at his own supporters, that's arguably a positive since I'm all for dead fascists. I have little to no doubt that if Trump was president now, we'd be doing even worse.
But yeah. As it stands, the bare minimum would be a step up from where we are right now.

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 3, 2021

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

As it stands right now, the absolute bare minimum is more than Biden is doing.
EDIT: To clarify, Trump did worse than just the bare minimum and downplayed the threat constantly, used it to stoke racism, and also encouraged people to inject poison - although since that was aimed at his own supporters, that's arguably a positive since I'm all for dead fascists. I have little to no doubt that if Trump was president now, we'd be doing even worse.
But yeah. As it stands, the bare minimum would be a step up from where we are right now.

Sure, if we were a sane and intelligent society we'd be handling the pandemic in a way that minimizes the harm to everyone. Biden could be doing a lot more on that front. Trump was (and is) absolutely a huge net negative, and the insane governors that are following in his wake are just as bad, if not worse.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
What if Les Stroud is Bigfoot though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

packetmantis posted:

What if Les Stroud is Bigfoot though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Discovery and History Channel were kind of touted as the market driven alternative to PBS. I think we all know how that turned out.