Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Time_pants posted:

I mean, if we're being honest, that's about where most games fall. Unfortunately, addressing the cold reality of the bell curve is antithetical to marketing hype since "You will have a reasonable amount of fun for 10 or so hours and then forget about it forever!" isn't exactly the sort of ad copy that drives clicks. It's too bad, because I would love to see the relentlessly honest, pragmatic, guardedly pessimistic version of IGN.

This is what I think the Escapist was aiming to be.
Taxxe: kitten I found when visiting my parents last time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Time_pants posted:

I mean, if we're being honest, that's about where most games fall. Unfortunately, addressing the cold reality of the bell curve is antithetical to marketing hype since "You will have a reasonable amount of fun for 10 or so hours and then forget about it forever!" isn't exactly the sort of ad copy that drives clicks. It's too bad, because I would love to see the relentlessly honest, pragmatic, guardedly pessimistic version of IGN.

With everything we know and don't know, Id be surprised if this hits the 7/10 mark, and that's including paid reviews and marketing push.

That perception of the underdog reviving interest in the space faring genre has already eroded to most of the people that bought into this thing in 2012.

Jesus Christ I just realized that it's been almost a decade since the kickstarter

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 2, 2021

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lammasu posted:

I must state once again that these people are imagine the game from Free Guy. Also no one is going to see a loving Opera in a video game. Like the only passive entertainment that people will tolerate in a video game is strip clubs.

Got to make sure the boob physics are realistic.

However being a T rated game, the most you'll have well be alcohol in a bar, maybe a drug as a commodity or thing that gives you a positive buff to stats.

It's a video game for kids. Enjoy your Fortnight shield juice.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lammasu posted:

Lot to unpack there. To me the most insane thing about this project, and that's saying a lot, is that they didn't start out with female models. They had all these God damned ships but not female character models. And now most of the clothing isn't rigged to women avatars. Did they not expect this? It's like paradoxically too much thought and no thought is put into this "game". And at least the last guy didn't say women are biologically disinclined for tech, the utterance of which fills me with indescribable rage.
Edit: I looked up the ship he was talking about and it's 520 dollars!

As a ship and not a female, frankly I'm pissed that I have to go around naked in the game. Why can't I, a ship that the game is based on, not have enough clothes to call my own? All I can do is buy a new body but I can't cover my own huge sexy turbines that work in the vacuum of space. That's the reason the turbines exist, so I can get a cute jacket to cover them up with.

If my struts don't have jiggle physics by beta, I'm totally quitting because I'm tired of being made to be less of a being by not even being given the satisfaction of being able to cover my innocent nudity.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 3, 2021

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i feel like dwarf fortress is a game that is very instructive to why star citizen should be an impossibility with current day tech

DF does all the crazy simulationist poo poo like minutely modelling the heat capacity of dwarf bones, spilled liquid being carried on someone's feet, atmospheric composition.

but its also ascii graphics, single player, and still runs horribly. part of that is a lack of multithreading (at least last time i played it), but do star citizen fans just believe that crobbler has access to magic future tech coding powers that mean he can do the impossible, iron man style?

also dwarf fortress, despite the insane level of detail, has gradually layered it in after creating a functional base game years and years ago

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Midnight Voyager posted:

so he thinks that most of the fanbase is male (Which is correct) because... subscriber items are... masculine because they look tough.

What the gently caress is this leap of logic? I mean, he's getting the right answer, but he's written the math formula entirely wrong.

I think he believes the act of making something girly in a video game about science fiction dystopian warfare in space ships, is what's keeping women from playing it and thus allowing them to create more female based stuff.

I think it's like an ouroboros in his mind.

CIGs response should be another rip off Hello Kitty and a pink ship, maybe a Mother's Day card sitting next to a loaded pistol and space helmet... because that's what's going to attract all the gurls.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Kikas posted:

This is what I think the Escapist was aiming to be.

Does the Escapist even exist outside of Yahtzee anymore

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

but do star citizen fans just believe that crobbler has access to magic future tech coding powers that mean he can do the impossible, iron man style?

If they are grossly misinformed and uninformed, yes.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

L. Ron Hoover posted:

See, the feminist agenda is so nefarious they even infiltrated the US military after WW2 and subtly began twisting masculine sounding planes to serve inherently female policies! What's next, making a stick of RipJaw ram for women?!

Better go the opposite direction too and change things that must be women centric words to be manly.

Doily: Foodcatcher

Flower: Bitchweed

Kitty: Jerkdog

Dildo: Asstick

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

juggalo baby coffin posted:

but do star citizen fans just believe that crobbler has access to magic future tech coding powers that mean he can do the impossible, iron man style?

Don't mean to rain on your parade here, but yes.

Yes they do.

They also believe he will reinvent the internet to make new levels of speed and data transmission happen.

They believe he will bring new meaning to how an EC2 instance can function in an MMO setting that is infinitely scalable because the cloud is infinite.

They believe the graphics can just be the high polygon models everywhere without issue because he's going to rebuild CryEngine with his mod into star engine.

They also believe he will make AI indistinguishable from human beings playing the game.

So yes, dwarf fortress is basically going to fit into a crack of one of the 4K molars in the back of a male avatars mouth. It is child's play against what Chris will do.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I know it seems like everything has quieted down, but rest assured reddit guys are still giving themselves aneurysms over the refunds subreddit

lol

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Got to make sure the boob physics are realistic.

They know that, that's why as soon as they started getting money in they hired a female to model for them topless so they could stand around and film her.

The fact that it was many years later until females appeared in the game just shows how much they cared about getting it right!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Kosumo posted:

They know that, that's why as soon as they started getting money in they hired a female to model for them topless so they could stand around and film her.

The fact that it was many years later until females appeared in the game just shows how much they cared about getting it right!

Oh lord I had somehow erased that knowledge from my mind.

All that nonsense was why everybody started getting really weirdly fetished and suddenly the game was going to be adult and second life in space.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

I know it seems like everything has quieted down, but rest assured reddit guys are still giving themselves aneurysms over the refunds subreddit

lol

Wait, I thought Citizens practiced what they preached about "If you don't like it, don't buy it, and don't go criticizing stuff you don't like like a baby. Maybe this sub-reddit just isn't for you?"

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beet Wagon posted:

lol

quote:

Shoo ... back to your hate sub and your overlord beet_mymeat the moderator

quote:

After their performance on the Techlonger video, I prefer Beet_Karen.

quote:

He's repulsive slime. He's turning his back on a whole slurry of mysogonistic and racial slurs in that sub. I don't know how it stays open.

quote:

Because they're a major contributor to all the gaslighting that goes on there? What, you think a little racism and misogyny is gonna keep a narcissist from holding on to that little bit of power they're desperately clinging onto?

You think after all to these years of being wrong that they're gonna admit it?

quote:

'Sunk cost fallacy' (one of their favourite expressions) ... they've invested way to much time and ink on being ANGRY to let it all go now. LOL

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

I'm quite enjoying the Xi'an dictionary. https://xian-dictionary.ueexi.com/

Nobody would ever design an alphabet or symbol set like that, which makes it perfect for Star Citizen.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Beet Wagon posted:

lol

Extremely normal

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/Cxz2HmM.mp4

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lmao absolutely on a streak of normal ones holy poo poo

Saw
Aug 19, 2005

I am loosing my patience after seeing your big size boobs and having a wish to suck them for atleast one hour then t

Gravity_Storm posted:

Nobody would ever design an alphabet or symbol set like that, which makes it perfect for Star Citizen.

They know their audience!
https://imgur.com/a/tvgYsdR

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Exactly :) There was one for money launderer too.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Gravity_Storm posted:

i am a bit offended by them having a base-10 counting system (at least, that's what i'm inferring from them having words for zero to nine), despite Xi'an supposedly having four digits on each hand and there being absolutely no reason for them to use a base-10 counting system

also, basing the "wise and calculating" reptilian-bird people's writing system on the Chinese writing system so explicitly, is, uhhhhhh, an interesting choice lol

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

nurmie posted:

i am a bit offended by them having a base-10 counting system (at least, that's what i'm inferring from them having words for zero to nine), despite Xi'an supposedly having four digits on each hand and there being absolutely no reason for them to use a base-10 counting system

also, basing the "wise and calculating" reptilian-bird people's writing system on the Chinese writing system so explicitly, is, uhhhhhh, an interesting choice lol

You can totally count to ten with four fingers, just use "whole arm raised" as extra finger. :pseudo:
Of course, CIG probably just went with using familiar stuff for, you know, aliens

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

Why do Germans go nuts for simulator games anyway. Like maybe it is just a baseless internet joke but it does feel like they make up abnormally large parts of those kind of game communities.

Nothing wrong with that, game how you want (also buy an Idris), I just don't get it

Even in the 90s there were tons of business tycoon games from Germany. There's just something about germans that enjoy simulating mundane stuff.

Delivery Agent
https://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=1944

Hollywood Pictures
https://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=3476

On the Road
https://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=3311

Steigenberger Hotelmanager
https://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=3298

Software Manager
https://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=3282

Der Reeder
https://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=3219

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

I'm a dude, some times in games I pick a female avatar, should I be worried?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

DigitalPenny posted:

If the game is not Haydee, yes. That is the only female avatar game allowed for real men.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

nurmie posted:

Some tribe with octal base counting system counted spaces between fingers. Space turtles could perhaps count spaces between fingers and on sides of the palm, but I am already thinking about it more than their lore team did.

These people need more kitten gifs in their lives.

:reddit: Guess I'll take the other-

https://v.redd.it/7ji0kim048l71/DASH_480.mp4

Fun with elevators in SC never ends.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Sep 3, 2021

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Dwesa posted:

:reddit: Guess I'll take the other-

https://v.redd.it/7ji0kim048l71/DASH_480.mp4

That's the magic of physicalised elevators, no cheating :smug:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

DigitalPenny posted:

Do you do it with lust on your mind?

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017

Dwesa posted:

The Prestige in space.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

nurmie posted:

This is addressed in the lore. In the early years, Xi'ans used the octal system as a means for counting. However, the Xi'an philosopher T'Bak, after feeling grief from the octal system, discovered the natural beauty and symmetry of nature was better described in units of ten. This lead to the grand enlightenment of Xi'an society and caused refactoring of their written works.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kikas posted:

Is it all right? :ohdear:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Someone on /r/starcitizen_refunds just realized that the "expand the scope" poll from 2014 is still active: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13944-Letter-From-The-Chairman-46-Million

I just voted on it myself with my account from the free-fly last year. Can we get enough people to tip it over to "no"?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Someone on /r/starcitizen_refunds just realized that the "expand the scope" poll from 2014 is still active: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13944-Letter-From-The-Chairman-46-Million

I just voted on it myself with my account from the free-fly last year. Can we get enough people to tip it over to "no"?

lmao god bless those loving morons at turbulent. they failed to make a website so hard they got given a game to make

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

DigitalPenny posted:

this is only allowed in tomb raider, if you pick female character in other games though shall cover your eyes until the credits roll.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I think this was originally deliberate. Once the poll was decided, the votes piled on to the winning vote to make it heavily one-sided because it was the now the official Crobbler stance.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I never actually saw this infamous poll, that's all it is??? This entire mess of development is absolved based on a 3 option poll that asks "Should we continue to offer stretch goals?".

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Popete posted:

I never actually saw this infamous poll, that's all it is??? This entire mess of development is absolved based on a 3 option poll that asks "Should we continue to offer stretch goals?".

Yes, but if 19,000 (out of an advertised 2,000,000+ users, so less than 1%) people say yes, how can you argue with that? :haw:

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

lmao you don't even need to be a backer to vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Time_pants posted:

If we were addressing the reality of the bell curve then most games would fall in 5/10.

So instead let's address the reality of the reviewers requiring the industry to sell in order to keep reviewing (and getting paid).

In any case most of my nephews and other non-olds that I know just watch streamers
play the game to see if it looks fun before buying. Reviews are a very boomer thing. (just like saying boomer is very boomer nowadays, sigh)