Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I am starting to think this person might be an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

I am starting to think this person might be an rear end in a top hat.

:hmmyes:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Hey bud, you're being awfully generous with interpretations of what I post. Secondly, I don't care how many of you disagree, a thousand wrong opinions are still wrong. I'm sure there is a latin term for your logical fallacy but how about you all put your collective brains to task and google that for me.

I'm not aggressive, and I'm going to firmly and aggressively tell you why I'm not aggressive? :confused:

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I think if anything, the last page or so should stand as a perfect example that our choice of language can issue a wide range of responses of varying extremities, therefore it is important to consider how you pitch your message if you wish to be well received.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Speaking of which

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/microsoft-outlook-will-soon-re-write-your-emails-for-you

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Hey bud, you're being awfully generous with interpretations of what I post. Secondly, I don't care how many of you disagree, a thousand wrong opinions are still wrong. I'm sure there is a latin term for your logical fallacy but how about you all put your collective brains to task and google that for me.

You’re supposed to dig up, not down.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

The Iron Rose posted:

“Too aggressive in meetings”

If I was a man this poo poo would be “congrats on taking leadership”

My company used to have a person whose job was basically overseeing contractor projects being implemented (ie . new machinery installations etc) in our factory. His whole job consisted of being a gaping rear end in a top hat at vendors trying to weasel their way out of delivering as promised. Like red faced screaming of obscenities over phone if some feature didn't work.

A few of the less-trustworthy vendors would send in a bid that was very much "we have submitted one as a formality , do not choose us."

The guy was considered great.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Sounds like a pretty clear case of "right person for the job" :haw:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MustardFacial posted:

You’re supposed to dig up, not down.

It's OK, well's full of piss so he can just climb out

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Anyone else's company have an issue with 'overcorrecting' after experiencing issues?

We use MDT to image desktops. We have an old LOB app that is a pain in the rear end so we bake it into the image to save everyone time. Everyone at the company gets an image with this app on their PC.

We have a user get a new laptop. It is imaged, users get the new laptop on Monday. User is out on the road Wednesday and tells us that the program isn't there. The user escalates this through their manager instead of just asking the helpdesk for assistance. It finally gets back to me (as the manager over the helpdesk) that apparently this user has a 'ton of issues with this laptop and cant work'. I speak to the user directly and discover that they do not have a desktop shortcut for the program.

Now MY boss is getting on my rear end about wanting to start using a standard image for all desktops and seeing procedures to ensure all users have their apps, etc. Like I wasn't the one who made us start using MDT when I came here 6 years ago.

It seems like every time there is some little issue, it is blown completely out of proportion by a manager somewhere, and then we have to flip the table over and implement something new to make it look like we're taking care of it. I'm just so sick of it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We finally posted our helpdesk position or whatever it's going to be. Not a terrible description, acceptable requirements...now we just see who applies...

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Anyone else's company have an issue with 'overcorrecting' after experiencing issues?

We use MDT to image desktops. We have an old LOB app that is a pain in the rear end so we bake it into the image to save everyone time. Everyone at the company gets an image with this app on their PC.

We have a user get a new laptop. It is imaged, users get the new laptop on Monday. User is out on the road Wednesday and tells us that the program isn't there. The user escalates this through their manager instead of just asking the helpdesk for assistance. It finally gets back to me (as the manager over the helpdesk) that apparently this user has a 'ton of issues with this laptop and cant work'. I speak to the user directly and discover that they do not have a desktop shortcut for the program.

Now MY boss is getting on my rear end about wanting to start using a standard image for all desktops and seeing procedures to ensure all users have their apps, etc. Like I wasn't the one who made us start using MDT when I came here 6 years ago.

It seems like every time there is some little issue, it is blown completely out of proportion by a manager somewhere, and then we have to flip the table over and implement something new to make it look like we're taking care of it. I'm just so sick of it.

I'm dealing with this on like a dozen fronts right now.

We have whole new bands of Directors & C-Level execs that we've never had before. Obviously that comes with a company undergoing super-growth and tons of M&A, but this kind of thing is happening almost daily. Random employees will run things up the Executive flagpole instead of working directly with IT or anyone who can help, and then it becomes a constant barrage back down on us, totally making GBS threads on our already overflowing backlog and priorities.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Sumo posted:

I'm dealing with this on like a dozen fronts right now.

We have whole new bands of Directors & C-Level execs that we've never had before. Obviously that comes with a company undergoing super-growth and tons of M&A, but this kind of thing is happening almost daily. Random employees will run things up the Executive flagpole instead of working directly with IT or anyone who can help, and then it becomes a constant barrage back down on us, totally making GBS threads on our already overflowing backlog and priorities.

Don't worry they can't afford to high more people in your department, the directors and c-level needs their bonus'

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm taking a week and a bit off starting tomorrow, I am aware of some things I'm currently in the middle of and emailed everybody involved a few days ago outlining where I was at with everything, what they will likely get asked about from these clients while I'm away, and offered to run through anything that wasn't clear. And got no responses, so I guess it's all going to go fine.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm taking a week and a bit off starting tomorrow, I am aware of some things I'm currently in the middle of and emailed everybody involved a few days ago outlining where I was at with everything, what they will likely get asked about from these clients while I'm away, and offered to run through anything that wasn't clear. And got no responses, so I guess it's all going to go fine.

Ignore emails. Ignore calls. Ignore the cries for help you'll hear from wherever you are. :tif:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh yeah the phone's getting buried in a drawer

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Holy poo poo, IT folks should know better than to Reply All for department emails. We're having a lot of turnover recently and every time we get a new staff member, half the department replies all.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've done one accidental reply all in my career and it convinced me that exchange should do some kind of recipient count check or have "protected" mailing list addresses that pops up an ARE YOU SURE box before sending.

And if that feature already exists my local admins are jerks for not turning it on.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It does exist, and yes they are jerks.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

that is a weird 'action required' message

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
It's an underrated feature imo

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

It's annoying working with our west coast team.

That makes all of our meetings in the afternoons since they aren't there in the morning. I leave at 4/5, so my afternoons are almost always all Zoom calls or Teams meeetings

Blah

So anyone that files a ticket in the afternoon I usually can't help. Just makes my afternoons all nuts.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

redirected folders loving suck!!!!

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
So, update on that post from Monday with that d-bag co-worker. I had a regular scheduled meeting with my manager yesterday, so I made him aware of the situation as well. He reached out to me today for an update. He reached out to HR yesterday. According to him, the convo went like this:

Manager: I need to report an incident to you.
HR: Gimme a name!
Manager: D-bag
HR: Is this about such-and-such?
Manager: No.
HR: Oh. Then that's the second incident reported for him today.

Apparently he's had a number of complaints from co-workers and even customers. I think it's come to a head now though as my manager commented he wanted to relay that info because "I didn't want you to log in Monday and think you got someone fired."

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

GI_Clutch posted:

So, update on that post from Monday with that d-bag co-worker. I had a regular scheduled meeting with my manager yesterday, so I made him aware of the situation as well. He reached out to me today for an update. He reached out to HR yesterday. According to him, the convo went like this:

Manager: I need to report an incident to you.
HR: Gimme a name!
Manager: D-bag
HR: Is this about such-and-such?
Manager: No.
HR: Oh. Then that's the second incident reported for him today.

Apparently he's had a number of complaints from co-workers and even customers. I think it's come to a head now though as my manager commented he wanted to relay that info because "I didn't want you to log in Monday and think you got someone fired."

I don't know if you would log in and think that but there are some people that are just a ticking time bomb and if it wasn't you...

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Bob Morales posted:

That makes all of our meetings in the afternoons since they aren't there in the morning. I leave at 4/5, so my afternoons are almost always all Zoom calls or Teams meeetings

Blah

So anyone that files a ticket in the afternoon I usually can't help. Just makes my afternoons all nuts.

This but east coast teams. Thanks for my Monday 7:30am sync call, jerks!

Nevermind my syncs with Belarus.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I work a time zone 3 hours ahead of the one I live in.

My daily stand ups are at 6 am.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
We have a services provider on the east coast whose support hours end at 2PM PST. Whenever we have an issue after two it gotta wait until the next business day.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

When is Big Government going to regulate printers. Sorry, 1 industrial copier per 30 people. Heh don’t complain to me Jack, Big Government says you guys can’t have personal printers. Where do my tax dollars even go

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

Where do my tax dollars even go

Large format Epson printers and MSI gaming laptops among other things

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

Blah

We have conference calls with the mothership in France and let me tell you, they are not getting inconvenientced by the time zone problem.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

tactlessbastard posted:

We have conference calls with the mothership in France and let me tell you, they are not getting inconvenientced by the time zone problem.

I was supporting a global application from Europe with the main key users in the US. Luckily they weren't assholes so we made it work. 24/7 on-call pay was pretty sweet for the occasional phone call in the middle of the night but then they dialed it back to US business hours because it was too expensive. At least that got me my weekends free.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

When is Big Government going to regulate printers. Sorry, 1 industrial copier per 30 people. Heh don’t complain to me Jack, Big Government says you guys can’t have personal printers. Where do my tax dollars even go

I think we have a few sites where the printer to person ratio is around 1:3, which is loving absurd. "Oh its too far to walk with a customer in the office" No it loving isn't. We have had to have serious talks about extending IP addresses because the number of printers at a location has not only escaped the range set aside, but migrated to other devices.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CitizenKain posted:

I think we have a few sites where the printer to person ratio is around 1:3, which is loving absurd. "Oh its too far to walk with a customer in the office" No it loving isn't. We have had to have serious talks about extending IP addresses because the number of printers at a location has not only escaped the range set aside, but migrated to other devices.

I once found an office shared by two people. They each had a printer. One of the $2500 color workgroup networkable printers. How confidential can their poo poo be if they're sharing an office

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

CitizenKain posted:

We had something like 4:7 printers to users at one job

And every single one broadcasted an SSID HP_laserjet10002

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Every now and again we go through the drama of cordless phone batteries.
I work in a prison, so it's half expected that sooner or later someone is going to be rolling around on the floor with someone and had the phone in their back pocket, they break all the time, it's no problem - I get it.
The bit that's irritating is when something like that happens, instead of putting a ticket in for a new phone they will try and steal someone elses phone.

Weirdly, occasionally, they will just try and steal someone else's batteries to see if that works and then you get someone else calling me saying 'can i have batteries because someone stole mine'

It's like seriously children, please grow up and learn how to log tickets, we will just replace your poo poo straight away

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

angry armadillo posted:

I work in a prison, so it's half expected that sooner or later someone is going to be rolling around on the floor with someone and had the phone in their back pocket, they break all the time, it's no problem - I get it.
The bit that's irritating is when something like that happens, instead of putting a ticket in for a new phone they will try and steal someone elses phone.

Weirdly, occasionally, they will just try and steal someone else's batteries to see if that works and then you get someone else calling me saying 'can i have batteries because someone stole mine'

It's like seriously children, please grow up and learn how to log tickets, we will just replace your poo poo straight away

If they're that concerned they'll get in trouble for it, it might be worth your time sending out a general email making sure they know that anything broken while on-duty will be replaced if damaged.

Even if it's a more informal thing from you like, "Hey team, we know that occasionally your phone/device/equipment might get damaged in the course of your shift. Just lodge a ticket and we'll get it sorted as soon as possible, no questions asked".

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I would say that message goes out on a quarterly basis in the form of a reminder in the weekly newsletter and also as a formal standalone notice to staff.

It's just laziness, there is a culture of "I cant be bothered to log a ticket, I'll just rob what i need and the next shift can sort out the mess"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It sounds like them stealing batteries off each other isn't inconveniencing you, and there's a policy in place that all staff are told and is (presumably) supported by management. So just lean back and order the replacement stuff when you're asked to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

angry armadillo posted:

We had a similar thing and the initial fix was we simply had a supply of batteries that we topped up when it ran low. This worked great for a while, until users started taking batteries for home use.

Law enforcement is full of territorial, gently caress-you-got-mine animals unfortunately. :(