Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

https://twitter.com/SawyerHackett/status/1433503454748610563

Can Rising Star <FILE_NOT_FOUND> Finally Turn Texas Blue?

e: how are we this far into the process and nobody but Beto (not running), one of the Castros (not running), and McConaughey (not running) is even getting mentioned in passing? How do we not even have some kind of local Howard Shultz-type millionaire getting quoted somewhere as saying "gently caress it maybe I'll run"?

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Blotto_Otter posted:

That coverage might not cost him any money but it ain't free. He'd presumably be on hiatus from acting, he'd have to stop hanging out so much at various UT athletic events, and what other endeavors does he have right now? Is all that hassle worth getting a few libs to buy some soccer jerseys?

McConaughey's a weirdo but he's not nuts, and he'd have to be nuts to give up the perfect life he's carved out for himself. Or he'd have to be incredibly passionate about some cause, and he doesn't strike me as all that passionate about anything but getting blazed and going to soccer and football games.

he hasnt changed a single thing about his life and he's already getting coverage over it

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I have a good feeling about Lupe Valdez take two.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

a.lo posted:

haven’t heard of McConaughey in a while

He's smartly just shut the hell up about his "both sides-ism" poo poo, because if he opens his loving mouth against any of the draconian poo poo that went into effect he's automatically branded a librul and therefore unelectable.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Spacebump posted:

I've changed my position on Matthew McConaughey after the last few days.

Run Matthew run.

For the love of God please do it McConaughey, that's the only way we're ever gonna have a chance of cracking through this steel wall of GOP dominance at this point.

EDIT: ^^ yeah I wouldn't rule that out, could just be another publicity stunt and he probably wouldn't want to risk tarnishing his career with politics.

White Light fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 2, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

governor popovich should be gearing up for his fifth election re-election campaign tbh

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Blotto_Otter posted:

https://twitter.com/SawyerHackett/status/1433503454748610563

Can Rising Star <FILE_NOT_FOUND> Finally Turn Texas Blue?

e: how are we this far into the process and nobody but Beto (not running), one of the Castros (not running), and McConaughey (not running) is even getting mentioned in passing? How do we not even have some kind of local Howard Shultz-type millionaire getting quoted somewhere as saying "gently caress it maybe I'll run"?

Can't wait to watch the dems gently caress this up.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

empty whippet box posted:

Not sure if I like this or the current thread title more.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They are currently loving it up because there is no candidate and we are six months out from the primary.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

let's just go the nevada route of "none of the above"

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

They are currently loving it up because there is no candidate and we are six months out from the primary.

You'd think the national party would be invested in this at all, but nope. We're gonna probably get someone we've all never heard of and will never hear from again in a few months. I mean, I get it though...statewide office elections are pretty miserable.

I'll take anyone who like...halfway gives a poo poo about the pandemic and keeping the power on at this point.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

We should nominate a goon. Not like it would be any worse than the local party would put forward.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

You'd think the national party would be invested in this at all, but nope. We're gonna probably get someone we've all never heard of and will never hear from again in a few months. I mean, I get it though...statewide office elections are pretty miserable.

I'll take anyone who like...halfway gives a poo poo about the pandemic and keeping the power on at this point.

Anytime the national party gets involved its a disaster, they really only care about us for fundraising. Of course anytime they don't get involved it's also a disaster so v0v

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
How did Virginia and Georgia start to turn around some statewide races? What are the lessons we will ignore?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Roumba posted:

How did Virginia and Georgia start to turn around some statewide races? What are the lessons we will ignore?

Stacy Abrams didn't run for President and destroy what influence she had advocating gun control

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Stacy Abrams didn't run for President and destroy what influence she had advocating gun control

Yeah basically. Georgia's Beto stayed laser focused on stripping the state party down to the foundation and rebuilding it into something competent.

Our state's Abrams jumped up on a counter and said he was going to take yer guns and kicked flipped out of the presidential race instead of staying in state.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

Time to steal a page out of the GOP playbook and make this a national celebrity search, baby. Troy Aikman can't like that announcing gig that much, think he'd be up for leading this dumb state? Let's fight Florida immigrants with Florida immigrants - what's Emmitt Smith up to these days, and can he be talked into running as a Dem?

(I don't think I've seen this thread talk about Herschel Walker yet, but it's a nice change of pace to have a lunatic Republican leave Texas to run elsewhere, I guess)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

:hmmyes:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

But he ate Whataburger on stream and talked about spicy ketchup!

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Roumba posted:

I mean, Abrams' governor race had some pretty blatant voter suppression, like purging tons of black people from the voter rolls "just 'cause" and removing voting machines in predominantly black areas...and CNN still decided to report that as her being a sore loser. At the very least, organizing around voting got better after that race with her leadership.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Roumba posted:

Virginia Democrats came up with the ingenious plan to have most of their population be suburbanites of a major metropolitan area

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

I love so many things about this state, but I've been feeling like this lately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCL_IiUXiBc

Not everything, but the overall sentiment.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Dameius posted:

Yeah basically. Georgia's Beto stayed laser focused on stripping the state party down to the foundation and rebuilding it into something competent.

Our state's Abrams jumped up on a counter and said he was going to take yer guns and kicked flipped out of the presidential race instead of staying in state.

I'll never stop laughing at what an idiotic piece of poo poo he turned out to be...

If only he weren't right, though :cmon:

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's almost impossible for the Democrats to regulate their interparty apparatus. They lack cohesion. When you have people who turn on their own, Royce West, Harold Dutton, it's makes everything that much harder.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The eternal thread title.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Manager Hoyden posted:

Wondering how the medical cannabis expansion is going to work out. PTSD seems like the kind of diagnosis that card mills would take advantage of.

It's still super low THC% only so theres not much point unless you're actually trying to medicate.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Governor McConaughey slams his fist on his desk and screams into his phone. “I don't give a hot gay gently caress what the lege says! Legalize weed, dude!”

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Roumba posted:

Sometimes demographics are destiny. Just not in Texas. Or Nationally.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Legislature just adjourned sine die. I guess they'll be back in a couple of weeks for redistricting. Low stakes prognostication: October 5

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

lobster shirt posted:

Governor McConaughey slams his fist on his desk and screams into his phone. “I don't give a hot gay gently caress what the lege says! Legalize weed, dude!”

I struggle to imaging Matthew McConaughey slamming his fist into anything

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I wish she had come up with a good lie about who she voted for in 2012 instead of that mealy mouthed "did I vote for Obama or didn't I, hmmm I dunno mayyyyybe, that's a little mystery for you to figure out."

"No I wrote in Lyndon LaRouche like I do every 4 years." :hai:

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
God damnit how the hell did these assholes pass hundreds of new laws? WTF is all this poo poo?

I read over the electric grid reforms. It doesn't look promising. ERCOT board will be appointed by politicians instead of industry, which isn't really an improvement. Power plants will be required to weatherize unless they are non-critical, which will probably be all of them. Nothing was done about the huge debt power providers racked up with ERCOT jacked the rate to $9000/MWh, so Texans will be paying increased electric bills for years. The only good thing is that Republicans didn't find a way to screw over electric and wind energy.

The biggest thing is the abortion bill, which is some serious bullshit. I predict Texas will become the biggest importer of mail order abortion pills. You think I have time to drive to a brick and mortar abortion store? It's all mail order now.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

radical meme posted:

It's almost impossible for the Democrats to regulate their interparty apparatus. They lack cohesion. When you have people who turn on their own, Royce West, Harold Dutton, it's makes everything that much harder.

See the problem though, is that Royce West wasn't wrong in his critique, as who he was critiquing was barely 'of our own' to bring with

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

i say swears online posted:

governor popovich should be gearing up for his fifth election re-election campaign tbh

:hmmyes:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

R's are more willing to hold their nose and vote for the party than D's/liberals/leftists are. I'm not telling people to vote blue no matter who, but because Republicans tend to fall in line and pull the lever for the team regardless of who is on the ballot, they have a built in advantage.

Also, the republican constituency is almost uniformly white and religious. The Democratic party is made up of a number of socioeconomic and ethnic factions, with their own issues, needs, and goals. This is always going to create friction. Another built-in advantage for the Republicans.

zoux fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 3, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Maybe Democrats should cater to the right, in order to capture more moderates. That will work this time. And if it doesn’t, they can simply veer farther to the right next time

Beto needs to air an ad for mypillow stat

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Hello thread, I'm very late to this issue and I'm also dumb. How is the new Texas law on abortion even legal with Roe v Wade?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It is still technically legal to have an abortion in Texas. That’s about it.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Texans are asking the question: will a hero arise? Who will be our Caesar with the valiant spirit to cross the Red River from campaigns in Oklahoma and restore civic virtue from the corrupted Texas State Senate?

I believe in such a hero. His name: Matthaios McConnaius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQbmW1AND2w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Skyarb posted:

Hello thread, I'm very late to this issue and I'm also dumb. How is the new Texas law on abortion even legal with Roe v Wade?

There are 5 anti abortion justices on the supreme court, that's how