Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesla was right posted:

Blairite council Stockport loss

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Peter Cruddas day trade cost

Brendan Rodgers posted:

SAS, Alpacas, paintings of the queen.
We didn't start the Covid, it's been two years burning, and now chuds deworming.

e: The sextant got its name because it forms one-sixth of a whole circle and not because of those messages it sent to Anthony McPartlin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

The invasion of Iraq was a dead cat to distract us from the true atrocity that Blair committed in 2003, recalling and scrapping every last Invacar rather than letting owners and collectors keep them.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

We didn't start the Covid, it's been two years burning, and now chuds deworming.

:perfect:

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Seconding the appreciation of this brilliant post.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The invasion of Iraq was a dead cat to distract us from the true atrocity that Blair committed in 2003, recalling and scrapping every last Invacar rather than letting owners and collectors keep them.
it is so very late why did i make this

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

NoneMoreNegative posted:

/Looks up 'Taliban'

dawluhbawn :mad:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Wikipedia suggests they were mostly government owned but privately owned ones are still around?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Busy week for the SAS. Alpacas, paintings of the queen.

The Special Alpaca Service

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Why isn't there a Formula series for little 3 wheel cars that just plays Yakety Sax for the duration of the race?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Failed Imagineer posted:

Why isn't there a Formula series for little 3 wheel cars that just plays Yakety Sax for the duration of the race?

Be the change you want to see in the world.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Wikipedia suggests they were mostly government owned but privately owned ones are still around?

Very few though, and they're all renegade, operating beyond the law, which makes them actually pretty cool.

Lord help me but there's actually a mini-effortpost in this which I'll come back to this afternoon.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

Reliant Robin racing was a thing at Arena Essex and other banger racing circuits for a while. One of the most common performance enhancers was putting the baldest tyres you could find on them because if they had too much grip they'd just flip as soon as you went into a corner (yes yes that Clarkson clip, which obviously was extremely overstated, but was an actual problem if you steered too quickly even on the road).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Why didn't they go with two steered wheels at the front with Ackermann geometry and one fat driven wheel at the back? The Robin geometry seems like the worst way of doing it, you still need a differential and you fall over.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Reliant Robin racing was a thing at Arena Essex and other banger racing circuits for a while. One of the most common performance enhancers was putting the baldest tyres you could find on them because if they had too much grip they'd just flip as soon as you went into a corner (yes yes that Clarkson clip, which obviously was extremely overstated, but was an actual problem if you steered too quickly even on the road).

drat that sounds fun as hell

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

it is so very late why did i make this

Gdi lol

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

Formula E fills that niche already.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Why didn't they go with two steered wheels at the front with Ackermann geometry and one fat driven wheel at the back? The Robin geometry seems like the worst way of doing it, you still need a differential and you fall over.

All of the "true" cyclecars (<250cc) were chain driven to a solid axle (or for the really cheap ones just to a single rear wheel) - the lack of a diff wasn't really a problem with the relatively low power, light weight, and tiny little wheels. This both reflects the original loophole they were exploiting (they were technically a motorcycle with sidecar rather than a car) and is also cheaper than a single driven wheel because you just use a motorcycle-style front end - a proper steering wheel and front suspension is a considerably higher component count than a live axle and diff.

Specifically for the Invacar, a single front wheel allowed you to use handlebars rather than a steering wheel, which offers a much wider range of potential modification to suit disabilities.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

It was to do with how the Reliant evolved. They started out being made by Raleigh (of the bicycles) as lightweight urban delivery trucks based around the front end and drivetrain of a motorbike but with a solid twin-wheel rear axle.

When Raleigh decided to stop making motorised vehicles, their chief designer bought the rights and founded Reliant (named so he could re-use all the existing parts with 'R' cast into them). After sticking with motorcycle-based engineering for a while Reliant bought the rights to the Austin Seven's drivetrain in the late 30s when Austin stopped making it and so developed its 'one wheel at the front, conventional live axle with a diff at the back' layout.

For vans and light cars propelled by an Austin Seven engine it was fine, but once you get into (relatively) heavier, faster stuff like the Regal 3/30 and the Robin it becomes a bit of a liability, although the instability has been greatly overstated in pop culture. But there is a reason why the 'sporty' three wheelers from Morgan etc. all had the single wheel at the back.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That explains why they were able to classify them as covered motorcycles.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Guavanaut posted:

That looks narrow enough he could lean it like a bike. Wonder if he can get his knee down.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Guavanaut posted:

That's basically a motorised rickshaw

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I got strong tuc tuc vibes from it. I always thought those came about from a milk float crashing into a Vespa :v:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

http://www.piaggiocommercialvehicles.com/it_IT/modelli/ape/

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

If they're gonna call it an Ape, at least put an RSV4 engine in it

(This is an incomprehensible joke to 99.9% of the thread and I don't care)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If they're gonna call it an Ape, at least put an RSV4 engine in it

(This is an incomprehensible joke to 99.9% of the thread and I don't care)

lol

Not exactly right but reminded me of this classic
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wobUkf4zwzs

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Pictures of the Queen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT67eMT499E

biglads fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Sep 3, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Westminsters plans for Queens death revealed:
- no retweeting
- gently caress the flag as quickly as possible
- no extra holidays, gently caress you

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/revealed-the-uk-security-operation-planned-for-queen-elizabeth-s-death-1.4664098

When she eventually dies of COVID or vCJD contracted from a stag or whatever, I'm gonna catch a plane over to cropdust the body as she lies in state

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Failed Imagineer posted:

Westminsters plans for Queens death revealed:

- no extra holidays, gently caress you

what the gently caress

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Praying for a message from Gibbo.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

What do they say if actual London Bridge falls down

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sanford posted:

"No not that one, the other one"

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Sanford posted:

Queen dead, so what

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sanford posted:

Operation Maj

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sanford posted:

The secret documents, codenamed Operation London Bridge and seen by Politico, reveal the scale of the plans for the funeral and British government anxieties about whether the UK has the resources to execute them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of those vehicles really bring to mind how the whole definition of 'car' legally has fringes.

Reminded of that Top Gear episode where they try out a ton of vintage vehicles to try to find out who was the first to have what would become the standard manual control scheme, with three pedals and a gearstick. Quite a few had very weird controls. (the Model T being no exception) And one of them actually had a setup that would become standard for quadbikes.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of those vehicles really bring to mind how the whole definition of 'car' legally has fringes.

This is why you can only successfully sue a car by trying it as a Boat Upon The Land

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's the real reason They don't want you to know about why Liverpool banned the yellow buses.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reminded of that Top Gear episode where they try out a ton of vintage vehicles to try to find out who was the first to have what would become the standard manual control scheme, with three pedals and a gearstick. Quite a few had very weird controls. (the Model T being no exception) And one of them actually had a setup that would become standard for quadbikes.
Were there ever any that were operated like the Cessna/light aircraft layout, where engine speed and braking is by hand and you steer (on the ground) with your feet?

I imagine it'd be a complete pain on the roads but that never stopped any of the other horseless carriage designs.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Were there ever any that were operated like the Cessna/light aircraft layout, where engine speed and braking is by hand and you steer (on the ground) with your feet?

Youd need long legs to reach the tarmac tho

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I bet you could steer
by dragging your boots with a couple of well placed holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
also lmao at

quote:

granular detail such as the potential for public anger if Downing Street cannot lower its flags to half-mast within 10 minutes of the announcement, as it has no “flag officer”.

I'd like to think that 'public' means the tabloids and most ordinary people have a few more pressing issues than that, and there's (as usual) nothing at all in the flag protocol* that specifies 10 minutes, it's as soon as can be done from the announcement, but if it's that big a problem just stick one of these on it like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NJvuR3UrLU

*afaict it doesn't even specify what is meant by half-mast, the 'width of a flag from the top' or 'about a third of the way down' are all convention