Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Rocco posted:

Hot take but the Netflix subs are fine and the entire war over their integrity wasn't really that necessary

It's probably not worth shelling out $175 just to get the ones I like, but I really do think some of the line changes suck.

The real reason not to buy ANY of the blu-ray releases is the lack of Fly Me to the Moon!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Media Blasters is doing a new release of X-Cross that isn't 4k but "remastered from a 4k scan" which I don't know what that means but does seem to give them an excuse to say 4k a lot.

Also they're changing the colors and I don't like it.

https://twitter.com/mediablasters1/status/1433057880589078529?s=20

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Rocco posted:

Hot take but the Netflix subs are fine and the entire war over their integrity wasn't really that necessary

I just recently watched it on Netflix for the first time and everything seemed fine to me, there were some parts where the dialogue seemed weird I guess but it was a fuckin weird show so I can’t say if that was an issue with subs or not…

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The only complaint I had about the Netflix subs we they they didn't consistently translate on screen text. Especially if there was dialog.

Most episodes, this was fine. The last two episodes took a lot of work, because the dub subtitled those portions.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The Alfred Hitchcock 4k set is down to $36 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/The-Alfred-Hitchcock-Classics-Collection-4K-Blu-ray/dp/B08CPLM17C?tag=bluray-030-20&linkCode=xm2&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Meant to post this here, so crosspost

Iron Crowned posted:

WNUF Halloween Special getting a Blu-ray through the latest VinSyn partner label, Terror Vision

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Just a heads up though, probably the reason the set is on sale is because Vertigo and Rear Window are both getting individual releases next week, including Best Buy steebooks. So if you're buying the set just because you want Vertigo or whatever, just hold off until Tuesday.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Are those new steel books supposed to have different content? The current 4k of Vertigo in the set is already quite nice and has some solid extras. Definitely the way to watch older films.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

gey muckle mowser posted:

I just recently watched it on Netflix for the first time and everything seemed fine to me, there were some parts where the dialogue seemed weird I guess but it was a fuckin weird show so I can’t say if that was an issue with subs or not…

I recently watched the dubbed version on Netflix for the first time and it seemed like a fine dub. Afterwards I went back and listened to 5 or 10 minutes of the original English dub, and while that wasn't enough to compare much of the translation choices, it was enough to learn that I found the original voices far more grating than in the Netflix dub. My hunch is that this is a thing someone probably cares a lot about if they grew up with the original subs/dubs, but if you're new to the series, it's not a big deal.

(Fascinating show, I'll probably rewatch it with subs some day.)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

checkplease posted:

Are those new steel books supposed to have different content? The current 4k of Vertigo in the set is already quite nice and has some solid extras. Definitely the way to watch older films.

No if you already have the set then there's no reason to buy the new steelbook, I just know sometimes people buy those sets knowing full well that they don't necessarily care about all of the movies and they'd buy an individual release if given the choice.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I have a 4K tv, a 4K player, and a receiver that handles 4K. I am also dumb and do not know how to optimize my picture quality. I keep getting those blocky effects in dark scenes, etc. Is there a resource that'll walk me through what I need to be doing?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Happy Hippo posted:

I have a 4K tv, a 4K player, and a receiver that handles 4K. I am also dumb and do not know how to optimize my picture quality. I keep getting those blocky effects in dark scenes, etc. Is there a resource that'll walk me through what I need to be doing?

Find your TV on https://www.rtings.com and there will probably be a guide

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

david_a posted:

Find your TV on https://www.rtings.com and there will probably be a guide

Thanks!

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Iron Crowned posted:

Meant to post this here, so crosspost

But is Terror Vision gonna release Terror Vision

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Almost Blue posted:

But is Terror Vision gonna release Terror Vision

I thought it was already released through the Vestron Video label.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

ruddiger posted:

I thought it was already released through the Vestron Video label.

It was a Shout Factory release which went out of print a while ago.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh drat I didn't realize TerrorVision was one of the Scream Factory blus that went out of print. I definitely need to grab that at some point if another company releases it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Basebf555 posted:

Oh drat I didn't realize TerrorVision was one of the Scream Factory blus that went out of print. I definitely need to grab that at some point if another company releases it.

A lot of their OOP titles have been popping up in other places, especially Kino Lorber so it'll probably get released again by someone.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I liked the Vestron releases, shame they dried up all of the sudden.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Casimir Radon posted:

I liked the Vestron releases, shame they dried up all of the sudden.

they're still releasing them, just at a very slow pace. Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat came out a couple weeks ago and The Wraith like a month before that. No more have been announced but it was a long gap between those two and the last pair too.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Silly question but region codes confuse the gently caress out of me: is that Thing collector's set going to play on the Sony 4k player in the states? I think it's the x700, whichever one with the manual DV switch.

I'm looking to cancel my Amazon order and either get the steel book or collector set if it'll work on my player.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
UHD discs are region free, so regarding any 4K UHD discs, yeah they'll play. Any regular BR discs included, prob not.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

they're still releasing them, just at a very slow pace. Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat came out a couple weeks ago and The Wraith like a month before that. No more have been announced but it was a long gap between those two and the last pair too.
Oh, I didn’t hear about that. I like Sundown. Shame Hickok torpedoed his career not long after that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Big month for 4k stuff. The Thing, the first 4 Star Trek films, A Clockwork Orange, Highlander, The Shawshank Redemption, the next Columbia Classics set, plus obviously newer releases like Fast 9, Black Widow and Justice League Snyder Cut.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

Big month for 4k stuff. The Thing, the first 4 Star Trek films, A Clockwork Orange, Highlander, The Shawshank Redemption, the next Columbia Classics set, plus obviously newer releases like Fast 9, Black Widow and Justice League Snyder Cut.

rn I'm looking at my list of Pre-Orders and the week of Oct 12th to Oct. 19th is a big one for me: Inglorious Basterds, GI Joe Origins: Snake Eyes (gotta support my dude Andrew Koji), The Silence of the Lamb, Demons 1&2 and Scream (IB is the one on the 12th, the rest fall on the 19th).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea October is absolutely packed too and I'm gonna have to pick and choose what I want to grab immediately. I'm definitely gonna have to get at least Halloween III, probably Halloween II as well, then also Scream, From Dusk Till Dawn and The Silence of the Lambs. Demons may end up being the odd man out there.

And that's just the spooky stuff. I may have to hold off on Green Knight, Guns of Navarone, and Inglorious Basterds at least long enough for my bank account can recover a little bit.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I just want Heat god drat it

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Just found out Grindhouse Video's going out of business and checked out the site. Turned out they still had the Limited Edition Tremors 4K set in stock, so I grabbed that. Gonna miss Grindhouse.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

TheScott2K posted:

:emptyquote:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Just found out Grindhouse Video's going out of business and checked out the site. Turned out they still had the Limited Edition Tremors 4K set in stock, so I grabbed that. Gonna miss Grindhouse.

Apparently the owner is moving from Florida to Tennessee; he plans on starting a new store next year.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Jesus, talk about a lateral move.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

And The Abyss. Come the gently caress onnnnnnnnnnnn

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

david_a posted:

Apparently the owner is moving from Florida to Tennessee; he plans on starting a new store next year.

Weird he wouldn't just move the company with him. Too costly to transport the inventory I suppose.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh that sucks, I totally wanted to check out their physical store in Tampa when I'm up that way next year.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oh that sucks, I totally wanted to check out their physical store in Tampa when I'm up that way next year.

it closed in 2020 and since then he’s been doing online only anyway

Sounds like the move will be a positive thing in the long run

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I got the Fast & Furious 8 movie collection UHD set from Amazon last week. I've been watching one a night the past couple nights and tonight was Tokyo Drift. The disc froze on the 9th chapter. My player (Xbox Series X) said the disc couldn't be played and to clean it, so I ejected it and went to clean it and the disc appeared spotless. I tried cleaning it anyway but it still froze and wouldn't finish. I'm going to have to return this set to Amazon.

This is the second set in a row I've got from Amazon that I'm going to have to return, the first being the Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz/The World's End trilogy. Shaun of the Dead from that set had the same freezing issue, although that disc was scratched and smudged somehow even though it was my first time playing it and it went right from the case to the player.

This is more likely an issue with the discs than the Xbox, right? I've played several other UHDs with no issue. It's just weird that 2 sets in a row have this freezing issue. Interestingly, they're both Universal sets, so I wonder if it's an issue with Universal discs.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So far all the UHDs I've played on my Series X have performed flawlessly.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

it closed in 2020 and since then he’s been doing online only anyway

Sounds like the move will be a positive thing in the long run

Then I support this news after all!

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Does anyone know how 'DVD player only' discs work? What causes them to be spat back out by my laptop—is it something physical or an encoding on the disc itself? The discs feel a bit different than normal discs to me—sometimes thinner, sometimes thicker, but maybe i'm tripping. Anyway, can't find too much information on how they work, hopefully someone here knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

codyclarke posted:

Does anyone know how 'DVD player only' discs work? What causes them to be spat back out by my laptop—is it something physical or an encoding on the disc itself? The discs feel a bit different than normal discs to me—sometimes thinner, sometimes thicker, but maybe i'm tripping. Anyway, can't find too much information on how they work, hopefully someone here knows.

I've never heard of such a thing besides those disposable discs that intentionally degraded after four hours, or the circuit city divx things that don't work anymore. Can you post a picture of one?

e: I did some googling and it looks like amazon print on demand discs have CSS encryption yet are burned onto custom DVD-R media. Most drives that can burn discs detect it as burnt rather than pressed media, and assume it doesn't have any encryption.

xarph fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 3, 2021