Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
In other news, turns out my MacBook can run a PSOne emulator after all, and I just paired a PS3 controller with it and I'm playing Alien Trilogy for the first time in a quarter of a century. Plus, with the emulator having the ability to remap controls, I was able to give it modern twin stick controls so it's a bit easier while remaining as dark and creepy as it was back in the day. Still holds up really well, surprisingly well actually.

I remember connecting my Playstation up to the VCR and recording the big fight against the alien queen, and putting that on the TV at work in the comic shop I was at. Really felt the need to say "check this out" in the days long, long before it was easy to show off what you did in a video game.

That Predator: Hunting Grounds is free on PS+ this month. Was it any good? I don't have access to anything other than my Switch right now, so won't be able to give it a try (hence me going full retro for Alien Trilogy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Predator Hunting Grounds is super cool, yes.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Class Warcraft posted:

the scene in operations is ok though. I like the fat foreman guy who is sick of WY's poo poo.
That’s Captain Hollister to you.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Class Warcraft posted:

plus it introduces Newt as an annoying screaming kid instead of the badass capable survivor in the theatrical cut.

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

I like the inclusion of that scene because at the very least it shows that she has an arc, that she became a hardened survivor due to what she’d witnessed as Hadley’s Hope fell apart around her and her family died one by one

Class Warcraft posted:

She already had an arc. She went from a mute traumatized survivor back to being a kid again in the theatrical cut.

In both versions Newt's starting point is an annoying screaming hardened self-reliant kid because the adults in her life suck, it's how she survived.

Newt's arc in either cut is learning to trust and care about other people because she finally meets an adult who isn't a useless self-serving liar who treats her as a nuisance.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

In both versions Newt's starting point is an annoying screaming hardened self-reliant kid because the adults in her life suck, it's how she survived.

Newt's arc in either cut is learning to trust and care about other people because she finally meets an adult who isn't a useless self-serving liar who treats her as a nuisance.

And then she dies horribly before the next movie starts. Psych!

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

feedmegin posted:

And then she dies horribly before the next movie starts. Psych!

Who needs character arcs when you can just loving drown?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Splicer posted:

I have made my feelings about this clear and will not repeat them :colbert:
I lied

Splicer posted:

In the non-ES we spend almost the entire film following Ripley. There's very few cuts away from Ripley, and when there are they're to follow people (or alien queens) Ripley recently interacted with or is about to interact with. The Hadley's Hope scene is omniscient knowledge, we're moved away from following Ripley & Co to watching a bunch of people she (and by extension the audience) doesn't know at a place she (and again, the audience) has never been. The only one of these people we meet later is Newt, and by meeting her earlier she no longer forks off Ripley's story so much as merges into it.
This is a criticism of the Hadley's Hope scene, not the rest of the ES

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Sep 3, 2021

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I like the deleted scene where Ripley comes across Burke after he runs off and he's all cocooned up. He tells her he can feel the alien in his stomach and Ripley just hands him a grenade and moves on lol

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

haljordan posted:

I like the deleted scene where Ripley comes across Burke after he runs off and he's all cocooned up. He tells her he can feel the alien in his stomach and Ripley just hands him a grenade and moves on lol
"Just let me get clear before you use that thi-"
[pop *click*]
"Burke, you son of a biiiiitch!" [legs it]

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I like the idea of that scene, but I’m so glad it wasn’t used. Newt only just being about to get ‘hugged while Burke is already impregnated and awake? Nah. Even if it was he was waiting for his turn for a big sloppy egg kiss it wouldn’t work because at that point he’s just getting a nice snooze then a reactor explosion.

Over a longer timeline… sure. In this movie, the most “hosed around and found out” painful death is the instant karma of minijaws through the brainpan as soon as he shut that door to lock out the marines with guns who would have saved him.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Parkingtigers posted:

I like the idea of that scene, but I’m so glad it wasn’t used. Newt only just being about to get ‘hugged while Burke is already impregnated and awake? Nah. Even if it was he was waiting for his turn for a big sloppy egg kiss it wouldn’t work because at that point he’s just getting a nice snooze then a reactor explosion.

Over a longer timeline… sure. In this movie, the most “hosed around and found out” painful death is the instant karma of minijaws through the brainpan as soon as he shut that door to lock out the marines with guns who would have saved him.

If by "saved" you mean shooting through him, yeah.
Maybe he inadvertently saved them from being flanked in yet another direction. Par for the course from corpo middle-management. gently caress up juuuust well enough to be useful, but no one noticed.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I'm not sure you actually are in the minority? I think most people don't really care, granted, but frankly I've always felt rather alone in my preference for the theatrical cut.

Nope. Most people in here like the theatrical cut. We've had many conversations about this before.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I like the extended cut :colbert:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Parkingtigers posted:

That Predator: Hunting Grounds is free on PS+ this month. Was it any good? I don't have access to anything other than my Switch right now, so won't be able to give it a try (hence me going full retro for Alien Trilogy).

I totally forgot about that game. It has good reviews on steam. I'll put it on my wishlist.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Xenomrph posted:

I like the extended cut :colbert:

:same: :hfive:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Look at all the wrong opinions here

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

the true enlightened position is theatrical cut for first viewing, extended for every subsequent viewing

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Re: Special vs Theatrical

Hah, just had this debate with some friends the other day. If it were up to me, I'd ditch *everything* from the SE except the scene with Ripley and Burke discussing Amanda, and the extra dialogue it provides for the Newt bedside chat later. The colony scenes are completely unnecessary and look kinda cheap and crappy, Hudson's dropship speech doesn't add anything (we already know he's an rear end in a top hat braggart in for a rude awakening), the motion tracker/hamster scene adds nothing, Hudson's guess about the queen removes any mystery by basically being a big neon 'FORESHADOWING HERE' sign...

..and as for the sentry guns, yeah they are fun. But they also just hammer home the sense that the Aliens are more or less barely intelligent bugs now, a lot of their ambiguity is gone. The ambush is cooler in the theatrical because I know they haven't just been getting themselves killed in the dozens trying to break in, they just cut the power and waltz right in there saying "gently caress your barricades". Cameron's sin is that he lessens the creature, makes it just a bunch of glorified bugs akin to mundane real world insects, and the sentry guns are the worst example of this.

As for the deleted Burke scene, it never made sense so I'm glad it was cut. In under 30 minutes he's caught, dragged all the way back to the hive, cocooned, impregnated, regains conscious and can feel it moving around? Nah. That's poo poo is for the likes of the AvP flicks.

Aliens is still a drat enjoyable film but I greatly prefer the lean, mean killing machine of the Theatrical over its flabbier SE brethren.

Oh and another minus point for Aliens is taking out Frost *and* Apone inside of a minute of each other. Kinda lame.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Sentinel Red posted:

Hudson's dropship speech doesn't add anything

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Android Apocalypse posted:

The only thing I don't care for in the Aliens extended cut is showing what happened at Hadley's Hope. Letting it be a complete mystery creates an incredible amount of tension & IMO showing why the colony went dark earlier takes us away from being in the group's headspace when they arrive at LV426.

Agree with this. The extended cut just made the whole thing slower for me. It takes loving forever to get going and, like you said, somehow removes some of the tension elements. Aliens is damned near perfect as is and so is T2.

And with all this sequel talk, people need to get this poo poo straight:

There are exactly two Alien movies, two Terminator movies, one Thing movie, one Predator movie, one Pitch Black, one Starship Troopers and one Robocop. Don't make me have to say this again. Not even gonna touch Star Wars.

Prometheus might have been good as a stand alone without the Alien tie in.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Sentinel Red posted:

..and as for the sentry guns, yeah they are fun. But they also just hammer home the sense that the Aliens are more or less barely intelligent bugs now, a lot of their ambiguity is gone. The ambush is cooler in the theatrical because I know they haven't just been getting themselves killed in the dozens trying to break in, they just cut the power and waltz right in there saying "gently caress your barricades". Cameron's sin is that he lessens the creature, makes it just a bunch of glorified bugs akin to mundane real world insects, and the sentry guns are the worst example of this.

I always felt like the aliens knew what they were and what they did, they were just rushing them to burn the ammo AND THEN gently caress your barricades

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

two Predator movies

:colbert:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
There's 2 Predator movies & 1.5 Robocop movies.

I'll defend Robocop 2 to the bitter end as it was the 1st R-rated movie I saw in the theater. I begged my dad to take me to it & he finally relented.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

There's 2 Predator movies & 1.5 Robocop movies.

I'll defend Robocop 2 to the bitter end as it was the 1st R-rated movie I saw in the theater. I begged my dad to take me to it & he finally relented.

Yeah, I'd go with this. There's some of a decent movie in 2, it's just a shame they also decided to shoehorn a speedrun of the first movie into it.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

My dad took me to see Starship Troopers when I was in 6th grade and I took a friend with me. Afterwards my dad made us swear not to reveal what we’d seen to my mom/his parents.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Sentinel Red posted:

Hudson's dropship speech doesn't add anything (we already know he's an rear end in a top hat braggart in for a rude awakening)

whoa bud, pump your brakes

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

I remember liking it when it came out but it doesn't hold up.

Also don't really get the love for Predator 2 but OK. Some people dig it.

Class Warcraft posted:

My dad took me to see Starship Troopers when I was in 6th grade and I took a friend with me. Afterwards my dad made us swear not to reveal what we’d seen to my mom/his parents.

Was it "tits"?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

BiggerBoat posted:

Also don't really get the love for Predator 2 but OK. Some people dig it.

Bill Paxton is in it and he's great.

Also Gary Busey.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Bill Paxton is in it and he's great.

Also Gary Busey.

Yeah, predator 2 owns. Danny Glover's finest hour.

E: I'm sure someone in this thread will know the answer to this. Was the Xenomorph skull trophy in the predator ship the first cross-over tie in? This was probably answered already but this thread is 200 pages.

old beast lunatic fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 3, 2021

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
Predator was an 80s action movie, but a Predator shows up.

Predator 2 was a hard-boiled cop movie, but Gary Busey a Predator shows up.

We clearly need to go back to this formula. *Genre*, but a Predator shows up.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Merchant-Ivory drama, but a Predator shows up

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
David Attenborough BBC documentary about the Amazon, bit guess who shows up

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Torquemada posted:

David Attenborough BBC documentary about the Amazon, bit guess who shows up

A very lost Congressman Markwayne Mullins trying to rescue Americans?

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Sunswipe posted:

A very lost Congressman Markwayne Mullins trying to rescue Americans?

want some candy?

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Mutant Headcrab posted:

I'm really cheesed that they didn't churn out a predator film franchise with this model. Predator western, pirates, samurai, vikings, and so on

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Predator is a slasher movie, but it's big macho manly men instead of horny camp counselors

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Parkingtigers posted:

I remember when I saw ALIENS for the first time as a kid, I thought for sure Newt got hugged and impregnated when she was cocooned. Now that I think about it, that would've been a great reveal and cool way to start ALIEN 3 without Mr. Random loving Alien eggs magically appearing on the Sulaco in the Alien 3 we got. The Sulaco arrives or crashes somewhere and Hicks and Ripley wake up and find Newt chestbursted in her cryotube.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Marvel movie but a predator shows up?

That's the genre of the age, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

In the Special Edition Hudson helpfully figures out it's a badass ant queen! Thanks, Hudson.

"These things ain't ants, pendejo" :haw: