Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's insulting to compare a finely tuned, perfectly responsive machine to a horse, hands down the most willfully stupid animal on earth.

I did some work for a guy who breeds Arabian horses. He told me the horse would happily walk up your driveway for ten years without issue, then one day decide to arbitrarily get spooked by a rock it sees every day, throw you off and put a hoof in your brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

time to repost Ruddha's horse quotes:

quote:

I don't know about anyone else, but I know for a fact that horses are stupider than poo poo and WILL kill themselves if you don't take an absurd amount of precautions and adorn them in the right silly accessories so that they don't scare themselves and fall over dead, and even then at best you can reduce the chances that they will do that, but they're still absolutely going to. Women who are obsessed with horses are just as bad as ones who are obsessed with anything else, but it may be dumber because it's a placeholder for animalistic male sexuality; however, in reality, it doesn't hold up because dominant male sexual energy is incompatible with horse personality and tendencies because, again, they're absolutely going to kill themselves by accident, whereas studs and straight power tops are highly unlikely to catch their reflection in a mirror then break their leg and get eaten by a mountain lioness

Of course, if you don't nail little metal rings onto them, they'll split open, and then they'll die.

I personally guarantee you a dog will never in this life hear a bee then have a heart attack out of fear, dying

My dad had a horse fall in a hole and almost die. They had to use a truck wench to get her out. She was too weak to walk so they tied ropes between two trees to hold her up. It took days of them hand feeding her before she could stand or walk on her own.
Less than a month later, she fell in the same hole and died.

Babies grow up and that's okay, it's like, sometimes a great meal is worth a lot of prep, for example. Horses only get more likely to die from a stupid reason as they get older. Oh poor ol' Freckles, thought of ants and died

That's understandable, but in the scheme of things it's a fairly low chance. With horses, there is no such thing as a natural death at any point in existence: they've strictly only died from stupid poo poo. Saw water and passed away

As someone who grew up with a couple friends into horses and loving dressage I can say that if anything you are being way too easy going on them. Its like their survival strategy is to break their legs or kill them selves at the slightest sign of danger, or a noise, or a change in humidity.

My friends barn had to install a big fence because they were next to a turkey farm and despite the horses seeing these birds every single loving day, any time you'd ride past them most of the horses would briefly flip out and hurt them selves or throw their rider when the turkeys came into view. You could literally ride in a loop for an hour and every single time the horse would "scare" at the turkeys.

Maybe wilder horses are smarter but dressage horses are more fragile and stupid than a baby that just learned to crawl. They will jump onto fences and cut them selves in half, they will get stuck between buildings, they will randomly for no reason at all break their legs. If there is a way to kill or hurt them selves they will find it. And people drop 50k or more on these idiots.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Slavvy posted:

It's insulting to compare a finely tuned, perfectly responsive machine to a horse, hands down the most willfully stupid animal on earth.

What about a Royal Enfield?

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
How do people get value out of their bigger bikes or sport bikes? Anyone do drag strips? Is that a common hobby? I am planning a track day with some friends in a year. I'll be satisfied in my 300cc bike on a curvey track still.

I'm entertaining the idea of a sport bike in maybe two years. But I wanna actually use it for unique experiences. It might not be a daily rider.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 1, 2021

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Highway on ramps are lots of fun and are generally not speed trapped.

Practically any 600cc bike can swiftly overtake without bothering with downshifting.

Lower engine load on the highway makes for relaxed cruising.

Riders who aren't that great at cornering, can compensate their low corner speed with high acceleration.

That said, i wish my FZR600 was a 400cc machine, because the 90hp 600cc engine is just at the edge of what's completely pointless on public roads. 400cc 4 cylinder engines are quite rare where i live, and i absolutely wanted a high revving 4 cylinder bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

LimaBiker posted:

Highway on ramps are lots of fun and are generally not speed trapped.

Practically any 600cc bike can swiftly overtake without bothering with downshifting.

Lower engine load on the highway makes for relaxed cruising.

Riders who aren't that great at cornering, can compensate their low corner speed with high acceleration.

That said, i wish my FZR600 was a 400cc machine, because the 90hp 600cc engine is just at the edge of what's completely pointless on public roads. 400cc 4 cylinder engines are quite rare where i live, and i absolutely wanted a high revving 4 cylinder bike.

Most of this is wrong, sorry. More blind leading the blind. It's true that 100hp is a practical limit though.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

How do people get value out of their bigger bikes or sport bikes? Anyone do drag strips? Is that a common hobby? I am planning a track day with some friends in a year. I'll be satisfied in my 300cc bike on a curvey track still.

I'm entertaining the idea of a sport bike in maybe two years. But I wanna actually use it for unique experiences. It might not be a daily rider.

The short answer is they don't. If you aren't gonna do track days there is no point, even if you want to ride fast on the road you will do better with a big naked. Sportbikes are designed for racing but they sell because of marketing, 90% of owners are totally clueless and want them for the willy waving value.

The Hayabusa and other similar bikes are good fun and make for excellent tourers but you can really only use what they have on a drag strip or track so again, brag value.

Older 600's are ok as they have a useable power band, modern 600's are horrible and leave you riding what's effectively a 250 if you're below ~8000rpm, which is also like 100km/h because of their stupid gearing.

As usual the more restrained, conservative models are the best - cbr600 f4, Ducati SS and such, but really the right answer is just a big naked like a gsx1000s or super duke or what have you.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Slavvy, i think you read the question wrong.

Zombie was asking about 'big bikes' in general, not just 600cc supersports with super peaky power curves. Most big bikes today are not supersports anymore.

For big bikes in general, i've experienced it as very relaxing if the engine is just humming along on the highway or provincial road at less than half the redline revs. All 600cc and bigger bikes i tried, *except* for the Ducati Supersport with the new parallel twin and maybe my FZR, are totally happy to slow down to 80km/h on the highway, and then smoothly pick up speed again to overtake whatever driver felt it was necessary to go 80km/h on the highway. Without unhappy engine noises, of course.
The Ducati SS doesn't have a very impressive power:displacement ratio, but it absolutely is not a relaxed engine. It's nothing like their V-twins, or like KTM's parallel twins with similar displacement. You need to flog it to keep going, it will complain if you don't, it does not belong in the section of chill/restrained big bikes.

Don't get me wrong, revs can be hella fun and are just fine for an engine. My SV sat at 9000rpm at 90% throttle for an hour or so on the autobahn without any troubles. The FZR screams deliciously when i get a shift on.
But it's just very nice sometimes, to just trundle along, forget about the bike, and just enjoy the surroundings. Having enough power outside of the 'power band' to just open the throttle and go, is definitely a selling point for bikes.

Do you need such power? gently caress no! I used to drive a car that had a 0 to 100km/h time of 15 seconds and still i could manage to move faster through traffic than others, if i wanted. Even uphill, with it's little 4 cylinder engine note resounding through the tunnel.
But is it nice to not *always* have to rev it to hell and back? I think it is. And having a big engine is one way to reach that goal.

I was joking about compensating a lack of cornering ability with power. That's not a healthy philosophy to have, but it is actually also a reason why some lesser skilled riders want big engines... We've all seen the videos of some local biker in the Alps on a smaller bike absolutely flying past some tourists on 600cc or 1000cc supersports in the corners, only to be overtaken again on the straights.

Also, check your local onramps for speed traps. They don't put them on the onramps over here but perhaps they do where you live.
Catapulting yourself onto the onramp gets old :3

On track, big bikes make no sense until you are really good at track riding, which will take many years.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 2, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You lost me at parallel twin Ducati, I'm not reading the rest

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

put the stock exhaust back on my bike cause the super shorty one sounded awesome but was just too loud even with earplugs so now its back to sounding like a riding mower

at least i can hear the induction noise again though!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the newbie thread.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

LimaBiker posted:

All 600cc and bigger bikes i tried, *except* for the Ducati Supersport with the new parallel twin

This is the second post you've made about Ducati's new parallel twin - THEY DON'T loving MAKE A PARALLEL TWIN. The SuperSport 950 uses the Testastretta 11 which is still a 90-deg V twin (or L twin, take your pick), same as in the Multi 950. The 11 degrees refers to camshaft rotation/overlap. Also, that motor is not new, it's been around for 10-odd years

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slight correction, the 11° refers to the valve included angle, it's to differentiate it from the more aggressive engine found in the 1098, streetfighter, 848 and the much different engine in the panigale.

Also, I have ridden the Ducati parallel twin and it would honestly make an excellent learner bike if it wasn't perpetually broken. Friendly handling, decent weight, no power.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
As a new rider, I just want to say I appreciate the experienced, educated riders who take the time to post in here to help out dumb-dumbs like me and make an effort to correct some of the silly incorrect, anecdotal, or unhelpful advice that gets tossed around to “help” new riders.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Slight correction, the 11° refers to the valve included angle, it's to differentiate it from the more aggressive engine found in the 1098, streetfighter, 848 and the much different engine in the panigale.

interesting - I thought all of the Testastretta engines had 25deg included angles. I pulled the overlap thing from wikipedia which has certainly never been wrong before

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

interesting - I thought all of the Testastretta engines had 25deg included angles. I pulled the overlap thing from wikipedia which has certainly never been wrong before

Looks like I'm the dumdum this time! A quick google says that appears to be the case, it would be in line with trying to reduce emissions and rejigging torque curves for consumer friendliness.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The best advice you can give to a new rider as a new rider is "you suck at riding, I suck at riding, lets keep learning to get better"

I've been riding an MT-07 for 4 years and its still arguably too much bike for my skill level. I love it and its fun! But I'm not a good rider.

It's not even my first bike!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I think newer riders have a bunch to contribute beyond just questions. Stuff like “here’s what I find weird about this stage of learning,” “I lose concentration when I get cold which can happen at an ambient temperature of 70F,” “hey this thing I learned in the course doesn’t feel right,” etc can be really informative to other new riders. Also a lot of it is good reminders for more seasoned riders who are far enough past the learning stage that a bunch of critical lessons are easy to gloss over because it’s old hat now. Like modulating both brake and throttle for downshift blipping, when someone mentioned that earlier I had to think real hard about the motion of that to remember it was a tough thing to learn at the time.

So I want to encourage newer riders to give feedback and talk about their experience with the learning process, not just ask questions and politely receive answers. Just don’t speak with a bunch of authority about something that needs a few years and lot of miles worth of experience.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah speaking of getting cold, reminder that this can happen “unexpectedly” in evenings starting around this time of year so like.. maybe think twice before taking your mesh jacket out if you plan to be out all night. At least do yourself a solid and check the forecast. And remember that you’re going to be riding exposed in the wind, so “ahh yeah it’s 20c I’ll be fine” isn’t the same 20c you’re experiencing when you’re taking a slow stroll down the street.

This happened to me tonight. Was a nice 25c out in the afternoon so I was all “hey this is cool finally some nice riding weather” and I stayed out until 9pm and all of a sudden it’s like 18c and even my windproof lining isn’t doing much.

So yeah, just be realistic and remember “cold” happens a little earlier on the bike I guess.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Carteret posted:

The best advice you can give to a new rider as a new rider is "you suck at riding, I suck at riding, lets keep learning to get better"
Ain't that the truth. My ambitions are to stay alive and stay riding long enough to suck less or maybe even stop sucking. Today I mistook 2nd for 1st and stalled at an intersection. No big deal but it illustrates one of the many many ways in which I suck. Still struggling with the throttle blipping while braking. I've been rolling it with the heel of my palm which sort of works but I often fail to roll it back and end up being on the throttle in the lower gear which obviously isn't good at all. Luckily the bike has no power thanks to the stern advice of this thread so that's no big deal either. :cool:

I'm just gonna keep experimenting until I figure it out.
(It's not small hands that's my problem. I wear gloves sized XL or size 11 whatever that is in 'merican. I'm gonna look into the ergonomics the next time I have the wrenches out though)

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I have never blipped the throttle on downshift, fite me.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

why would i fight a little baby

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

Idk what to say to this, I'm stunned and feel sorry for you more than anything

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

So I want to encourage newer riders to give feedback and talk about their experience with the learning process, not just ask questions and politely receive answers. Just don’t speak with a bunch of authority about something that needs a few years and lot of miles worth of experience.

You’re definitely right, I didn’t do a good job of explaining what I meant I think.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Jazzzzz posted:

This is the second post you've made about Ducati's new parallel twin - THEY DON'T loving MAKE A PARALLEL TWIN. The SuperSport 950 uses the Testastretta 11 which is still a 90-deg V twin (or L twin, take your pick), same as in the Multi 950. The 11 degrees refers to camshaft rotation/overlap. Also, that motor is not new, it's been around for 10-odd years

My bad!

In any case, it's not a great engine imho, and it's still the only 'big bike' i've ever ridden that can't be ridden like scooter on the highway.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 3, 2021

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

Cold chat: I was pretty shocked how chilly I was at 20° with my jacket and t shirt on underneath. It's weird thinking that it's cold out when I'd otherwise be in shorts and flip flops

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
See, that's the thing. When you're standing still, 20C is lovely. When you get all your gear on, but you haven't started moving yet, it can be sweltering. And then you apply 100km/h of wind chill.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

nothing like full body shivers riding home after the sun goes down

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Dressing in layers can help. When i go for a ride and depart in the morning it'll be pretty cold, and i need a sweater underneath my leathers. Around noon, i'll take off the sweater and only wear a lycra base layer.
Sometimes i have a rain suit in my backpack. You either look like a gimp in one of the track suits, or like a bin bag in the standard ones, but they are a godsend if the wind is cutting through your suit.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 3, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

What a jerk! :v:

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
cold chat: I’ve found that putting a wind-breaker layer on the outside helps much better than using one as a liner. It might look a little goofy, but using your outer rain gear when it’s dry-but-chilly helps keep in a bubble of warmth and can keep you from getting the shivers.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

televiper posted:

cold chat: I’ve found that putting a wind-breaker layer on the outside helps much better than using one as a liner. It might look a little goofy, but using your outer rain gear when it’s dry-but-chilly helps keep in a bubble of warmth and can keep you from getting the shivers.

Yeah, this has been my most successful go-to riding in days of big temp swings. A good raincoat is always in my bag. Breaking the wind is often much more effective than insulation.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I neck gaiter helps a lot for Southern California levels of cold

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Yeah, this has been my most successful go-to riding in days of big temp swings. A good raincoat is always in my bag. Breaking the wind is often much more effective than insulation.

Wouldn't the flapping and fluttering of the jacket drive you nuts?.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
Hey Newbie thread, guess who got in an accident?

The story of the accident isn't very exciting. A box van tried to run a red light, realized I was coming at the last second then stopped dead in the middle of the intersection. I swerved and went behind him but I couldn't recover from the abrupt turn fast enough so I dropped my bike and slid around a bit. I was mostly geared up, I opted for a tshirt because it was a real hot day so my arms really got the worst of it. Whoever in the gear thread said "Any gloves as long as they have slides" jfc thank you. The thumb of my glove was completely torn off and slide on the palm was almost smooth but my hands are totally fine, not a mark. I keep looking at the gloves and being like "Fuuuuuck that coulda been bad".

Thankfully my bike is still rideable and I was able to get it home without much trouble so that's good. The damage was mostly to the front end but my can got pretty smashed and that just happens to be one of the most expensive parts on this bike (~$1000) and I have to go the OEM route because of Suzuki's fuel injection system on the TU250X. The other parts needed aren't too bad with the most expensive being the speedo/tach

Anyway, my gramma didn't raise a quitter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7pMgjHOXLs

Here's some things I'm thankful for:
-I wasn't going too fast (about 30)
-I dropped the bike in section of road that was completely clear of everything, including parked cars
-I was able to ride my bike home
-I was wearing gear (Thank you gear thread)
-Gloves in particular!
-Boots with ankle support
-A decade of skateboarding that taught me how to ragdoll
-loving gloves- I cannot stress this enough

I keep getting mad at myself for the whole thing because I keep thinking "If I was better that wouldn't have happened" but I've only been riding on the street for 6 weeks so I should probably get over that. I actually waited a really long time to post this because I was embarrassed.

Also, when I was sliding around on the ground my one thought was "Okay, this is taking a while" It's reassuring to know that when death comes for me my reaction will be general apathy.

ninja edit: Would I be able to ride with that gas tank until I get paid again? I tipped it around and nothing comes out so that seems good

Cyber Punk 90210 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 3, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is amazingly beaten up for such an innocuous crash holy cow.

The tank should be fine if it isn't punctured at all.

Every crash I've ever had has consisted of sliding along the ground while time slows right down so I had ages to think about how stupid I am and how hosed my bike was going to be the moment I got up.

Wear a jacket next time, glad you're alive.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Wouldn't the flapping and fluttering of the jacket drive you nuts?.
It depends a bit on what you're wearing under it, and how fast you're going. If you wear some kind of puffy textile jacket underneath, it will somewhat fill out the rain suit and it flutters less.
Wearing it over leathers will make it flap around quite a bit on the highway, and you really feel the drag at higher speeds.

But stretchy, form fitting rain suits also exist: https://respro.com/store/product/carbon-slick-road-race-wet-suit
These really work well. They fit snugly over a leather suit while being stretchy enough to not limit movement - if you get the right size.

Make sure you don't need to swap them for another size because they have the worst customer service ever. I did everything to be elegible for free exchange for another size (meaning you gotta send them your measurements) and still i got a size too small. They tried to convince me it's normal if the knee slider holes creep up all the way to where my actual knees are, well above the sliders. I got the size they recommend for people up to 180cm. I'm 177cm and it didn't fit properly, length wise.
Then i wanted to use their free exchange, but they didn't want to accept it unless i pay postage both ways, which is not what their website said.
After a month of very intermittent e-mail contact i gave up.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 3, 2021

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Wear a jacket next time, glad you're alive.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wow, bummer! That was a nice new bike. Glad you're not badly injured. And yeah, this is why you wear gear: sometimes no matter how careful you are, bad poo poo just happens (like a truck running a red and stopping dead in the intersection) and then you'd better hope you're protected. A helmet will turn a fatal crash into a survivable one, but the rest of the gear is what turns weeks of painful recovery or worse into something you walk away from.

To me the feeling of a crash is initially like vomiting -- not the sickness but the "welp, suddenly this is happening and i can't stop it" part -- followed by the slow motion "time to idly think about what's going on" that you both have described. It's quite surreal.

On the plus side, you now have the first crash and a bunch of bike damage out of your system, so you don't have to worry about those any more.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Wow, bummer! That was a nice new bike. Glad you're not badly injured. And yeah, this is why you wear gear: sometimes no matter how careful you are, bad poo poo just happens (like a truck running a red and stopping dead in the intersection) and then you'd better hope you're protected.

To me the feeling of a crash is initially like vomiting -- not the sickness but the "welp, suddenly this is happening and i can't stop it" part -- followed by the slow motion "time to idly think about what's going on" that you both have described. It's quite surreal.

On the plus side, you now have the first crash and a bunch of bike damage out of your system, so you don't have to worry about those any more.

Rampant speculation incoming:

Watching thousands of crashes on YT has led me to believe that the indifference reaction stems from knowing what's just happened, which comes from knowing, or at least being somewhat aware of, what you're doing and what you've done wrong. If you're dunning-krugering around and crash, it comes as a completely inexplicable traumatic surprise, which is why you see those guys mootmoot off the side of a gentle curve and before they've even hit the ground it's all 'OH MAH GAAAWD OH GAWD OH NOO'. Whereas if you know exactly what's just happened, you still get the adrenaline and shock, but you process the actual event in an instant and the rest of the crash is spent just waiting for it to end so you can check the damage and make sure nobody saw you being a moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Glad you're mostly ok, get some tegaderm for the arms and buy at least a textile jacket.