Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I'd love to watch this episode but Paramount+ is telling me to disable all my ad blockers, which I have and let Bitdefender allow CBS but *shrug*.

gently caress you Paramount+!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Saw they've hired an actress to play the Borg Queen is S2 of Picard. https://deadline.com/2021/09/star-t...NFKt7uOV2KK0Kt8

They're going to have too many different plots going on at the same time again aren't they.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

That's a Caitian, just like T'ana.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

Saw they've hired an actress to play the Borg Queen is S2 of Picard. https://deadline.com/2021/09/star-t...NFKt7uOV2KK0Kt8

They're going to have too many different plots going on at the same time again aren't they.

too many plots? Don't you mean one dumb plot, told poorly over too many episodes?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 45 hours!)

how are the borg mixed up in this once again

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“If we don’t show Spock The Borg then how will people know it’s Star Trek!?!?!”

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Mirror Universe Borg Queen

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 45 hours!)

a relentless foe. they just keep coming.

look here they come again!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

roomtone posted:

how are the borg mixed up in this once again

Popular speculation is this season is going to be a Tapestry style Q jump around various parts of Picard's life and examining alternate paths. If that's true it's not unreasonable the Borg would come up.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Mirror Q enlists Picard's help in stopping the Borg Queen from destroying the multiverse by assimilating the Guardian of Forever.

Picard must battle both alternate universe Locutus and a Section 31 cover up....

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

A.o.D. posted:

That's a Caitian, just like T'ana.

Yes I was joking but were there actually kzinti in that episode because that would really be surprising

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Mirror Q enlists Picard's help in stopping the Borg Queen from destroying the multiverse by assimilating the Guardian of Forever.

Picard must battle both alternate universe Locutus and a Section 31 cover up....

It involves a dune buggy race.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Bloop posted:

Yes I was joking but were there actually kzinti in that episode because that would really be surprising

Yeah, there's a Kzinti in the bar at the beginning.

E:

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 3, 2021

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Thom12255 posted:

She was in the Enterprise episode with Rene Auberjonois

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Bloop posted:

See Grand Fromage's post. If you've read Larry Niven's Known Space books the idea of a Kzin in a star fleet uniform is about as big of a mindfuck as seeing Worf for the first time back in the 80s. Maybe bigger.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

roomtone posted:

a relentless foe. they just keep coming.

look here they come again!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Between this and the Kzin being mentioned by name in Picard I assume something's changed about the rights situation.

Grand Fromage posted:

Popular speculation is this season is going to be a Tapestry style Q jump around various parts of Picard's life and examining alternate paths. If that's true it's not unreasonable the Borg would come up.

Have there been any rumours of McFadden? You can't do that kind of story without her.

Well, shouldn't, anyway.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 3, 2021

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

A.o.D. posted:

See Grand Fromage's post. If you've read Larry Niven's Known Space books the idea of a Kzin in a star fleet uniform is about as big of a mindfuck as seeing Worf for the first time back in the 80s. Maybe bigger.

Might be from the breakaway faction whose females are sapient or whatever :biotruths: bs Niven was going on about with them

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Thom12255 posted:

Yea, and just dipping back in the well of poo poo that was well trodden in Star Trek.

HD DAD posted:

“If we don’t show Spock The Borg then how will people know it’s Star Trek!?!?!”

I bet this is it exactly. Some exec going "If we don't just do the real big stuff people will be confused! We can't do anything new! We just have to give people what they know!". Basically what Fry said

Grand Fromage posted:

E:

Better not let Larry Niven's estate know about this, they'll sue.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Grand Fromage posted:

E:

A shame he's not in a pink uniform for old time's sake.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Okay I laughed at every single time they said Mugato/Gumato/Magoto/Gamutu differently

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

HD DAD posted:

Okay I laughed at every single time they said Mugato/Gumato/Magoto/Gamutu differently

I don't think I've watched that tos episode in a long time, I'm assuming the joke is that it happens in the TOS episode as well?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Professor Beetus posted:

I don't think I've watched that tos episode in a long time, I'm assuming the joke is that it happens in the TOS episode as well?

Memory Alpha posted:

Originally called a "Neuralese Great Ape" in the first draft script, dated 7 August 1967, the Mugato finally became the "Gumato" in the later drafts script; however, DeForest Kelley could not pronounce the name correctly and it was changed. Both Kelley and William Shatner pronounced the name as "Mugatu" all the way through the episode, and Mugato is still frequently spelled Mugatu in various sources such as The Star Trek Compendium. The Star Trek: Lower Decks episode "Mugato, Gumato" made the fact that the ape is known under several slightly different names canon.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

Better not let Larry Niven's estate know about this, they'll sue.

Chabon asked Niven personally for permission to reference them in Picard and got it, I assume there wouldn't be any issue here either

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Delsaber posted:

I wonder if ship types like the Cali-class don't even really need dedicated security/tactical chiefs since they're intended as utility workhorses and not ships-of-the-line. If so, Shaxs and Keyshon could rotate.

looks like they confirmed that this week since Keyshon is still kicking around and fills in when Shaxs is elsewhere. Although I hope he gets some more speaking lines, wanna here more Children of Tama memes legends

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

apparently the kzinti will appear again, he's in another shot of one of the trailers

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mx. posted:

apparently the kzinti will appear again, he's in another shot of one of the trailers

OOh i recognize that uniform, there's one of those in Star Trek Timelines. I wonder if a member of Lt Birb Person or 3 armed guys species will ever show up. I love how they're mining TAS for content.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

OOh i recognize that uniform, there's one of those in Star Trek Timelines. I wonder if a member of Lt Birb Person or 3 armed guys species will ever show up. I love how they're mining TAS for content.

3 armed guy species was captain of the Farm ship in season one.

Also, in the background, bird dude:

also this dude is from TAS too

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Sep 3, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Apparently she's in multiple episodes though, so I think that speculation is off the mark to a certain degree (unless the trigger for Q and Picard forgetting they already did Tapestry together is the Borg showing up and killing some people).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Alchenar posted:

Apparently she's in multiple episodes though, so I think that speculation is off the mark to a certain degree (unless the trigger for Q and Picard forgetting they already did Tapestry together is the Borg showing up and killing some people).

You also have Seven involved again and she has history with the Queen as well. It could be that Picard isn’t the only one being shown alternate timelines by Q.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You also have Seven involved again and she has history with the Queen as well. It could be that Picard isn’t the only one being shown alternate timelines by Q.

10 episode season though - it's really not very long if every episode is doing its job as a coherent link in the story. I mean that didn't stop season one from being a hot mess of storylines but that was the main problem there. If she's in just 3 episodes that either makes her the catalyst for the story, the threat along whatever journey Picard takes, or the antagonist revealed at the climax. Or she's just scattered throughout like the Romulan twins were.

e: my instinct is that it's also a bad idea storywise to throw too many powerful beings together. The resolution to the first Borg episode ever is literally Q snapping his fingers on demand and removing all the danger. If you sit the Borg Queen and Q next to each other in a story then the Queen instantly loses all menace because she's no longer the most powerful being in the room.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Sep 3, 2021

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The whole concept of a Borg Queen sucks, so this isn't making me optimistic for season 2

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alchenar posted:

10 episode season though - it's really not very long if every episode is doing its job as a coherent link in the story. I mean that didn't stop season one from being a hot mess of storylines but that was the main problem there. If she's in just 3 episodes that either makes her the catalyst for the story, the threat along whatever journey Picard takes, or the antagonist revealed at the climax. Or she's just scattered throughout like the Romulan twins were.

e: my instinct is that it's also a bad idea storywise to throw too many powerful beings together. The resolution to the first Borg episode ever is literally Q snapping his fingers on demand and removing all the danger. If you sit the Borg Queen and Q next to each other in a story then the Queen instantly loses all menace because she's no longer the most powerful being in the room.

That kind of presupposes that Q and the Borg Queen are at odds in this scenario, or even in cahoots. For all we know Q could be using the Queen as some kind of unwitting heavy to gently caress with Picard or teach teach him a lesson or as a tool to solve some problem. Like Q and the La Sirena crew get in an argument and Raffi tells him to go swallow a bag of dicks the size of Jupiter and Q's like, "Oh really? gently caress ME? No no noooo, gently caress YOOOOOU!" and snaps his fingers and suddenly everyone's in the heart of the Unicomplex and the Queen comes slinking out of the shadows like "Hello, Locutus..."

Again, I don't write this poo poo.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Maybe elnor can stab her with his sword

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Maybe elnor can stab her with his sword

Joke's on you, I'm into that poo poo!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alchenar posted:

My understanding is that they're 'filming season 2 and 3 together' and it's basically one 20 episode season split in two for release.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I didn't realize Shatner was co-writing this season

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Kesper North posted:

Might be from the breakaway faction whose females are sapient or whatever :biotruths: bs Niven was going on about with them

Kzinti females are naturally sentient and the males weren't hyper aggressive murder monsters. They were a tribal stone age society that got used as mercenaries by a more advanced race. They overthrew their more technologically advanced masters and were suddenly a space faring species that was about 20,000 years behind where they should be culturally. They weren't stupid, so they were able to figure out most of the tech they acquired, but they had primitive ideas of what they should do with it. They engineered the males to be the murder cat equivalent of Greek Gods, and engineered their women to be submissive and semi sentient. The stories make it very clear that it's not the natural order of things, and that the Kzinti turbofucked themselves by doing this. There are a few natural Kzinti in the galaxy showing what they should normally be. Also, the Kzinti spend a lot of effort culling out the males and females that manage to breed true in spite of the genetic manipulation.

If you got grossed out by it, you were supposed to be grossed out by it. The Kzinti aren't ever presented as good or superior in the known space stories. Their genetic fuckery is presented as what makes them so easy to beat.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 3, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The whole concept of a Borg Queen sucks, so this isn't making me optimistic for season 2

Nah

I mean, it depends on how you view her

If she's the leader of the Borg then sure, and lol at her watching a viewscreen on VOY, but you know, VOY

If she's an unplanned emergent property of the collective somehow, it's a lot more interesting, and that's what feels more likely based on what's on screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The Bloop posted:

If she's an unplanned emergent property of the collective somehow, it's a lot more interesting, and that's what feels more likely based on what's on screen

You're right that this is an interesting concept, but this also means it'll never get explored and the more boring answer will be the actual one.