Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
i got an elastomeric because i figured "between covid, protests, and wildfire smoke, this is worth $40 to have in my house." i am still mostly wearing KN95s every day. if i ever had to do something riskier, or if community transmission got so high that i was really worried about costco, i might wear it with glasses to there. plus it brings out my eyes.

right now it's easy to meet with most of my students outside. but i bought a coway mighty hepa filter for my office so if weather gets bad i can just crank that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Coldrice posted:

My covid simulator is coming along

I've added rooms. For the most part your people will stay in their section/office/whatever. rarely one or two people will go else where then come back. Its super fun to watch the outbreak stay contained in a room for a few days then spread

cool work!

what was that red dot?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
All fair points! I did get some N95's with my respirator, I've mostly been doing the cloth/surgical thing but evidence and spread is making me want to get more protection.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Steve Yun posted:

you’d have to take 100x the daily amount before you’d say you had too much D

that's what your mum said!!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Come with me, Duncan Idaho, and I will show you the Golden Path

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
btw how is reopening going at elite universities w/ vaccine mandates?

https://covid.cornell.edu/testing/dashboard/
https://news.cornell.edu/stories/2021/08/ithaca-campus-moving-covid-alert-level-yellow

quote:

As students arrived in Ithaca for the start of the semester, we expected to see a significant number of positive COVID-19 cases identified through our arrival and surveillance testing. In fact, our decision to reinstate mandatory surveillance testing for almost all students recognized this likelihood and was instituted so that we could identify and isolate positive cases early and minimize spread of the virus. Over the last few days, however, the number of positive cases has been higher than we anticipated. As a result, we are moving the Ithaca campus to COVID-19 Alert Level Yellow.

https://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/testing-tracing/harvard-university-wide-covid-19-testing-dashboard/
https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2021/9/3/harvard-hikes-testing-requirements/

quote:

Harvard increased the frequency of coronavirus testing for affiliates living in undergraduate housing Thursday, citing a surge of new cases less than two weeks since students returned to campus and on the third day of classes.

In a separate email with Nguyen on Thursday, Dean of Students Katherine G. O’Dair called the rise in new infections “a turning point.”

“The Delta variant and our full-capacity residential campus has changed the landscape compared to early summer, and we need to respond as a community to the changing risk profile,” they wrote.

O’Dair and Nguyen added that the number of undergraduates in isolation housing — 63 as of Thursday — is only expected “to grow.”

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/article253851373.html

quote:

Duke University has set new restrictions to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 as cases are rising on the Durham campus despite its vaccine mandate.

In the first week of classes, 304 undergraduates, 45 graduate students and 15 employees tested positive for COVID-19.

and so on

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

OhFunny posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/

Scroll down on the front page.

wish I could have a regular 3% deviation across 4 peers at work all counting the same thing and it not cause everyone flipping the gently caress out constantly

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

ivermectin is the delta variant of snake oil cures

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

MIT remains low but classes do not begin until tuesday, and all other cases above ticked up after the first week of classes

https://covidapps.mit.edu/dashboard

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Stereotype posted:

i read every post, i know everything about the covid19 pandemic

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I dunno if you doomers heard me, hospitals aren't even testing staff for covid anymore. Kid testing is going to go away very soon. Hope you can trust your coworkers because all the quarantines are going away.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
If we don't test then the COVID goes away!

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Asproigerosis posted:

I dunno if you doomers heard me, hospitals aren't even testing staff for covid anymore. Kid testing is going to go away very soon. Hope you can trust your coworkers because all the quarantines are going away.

quarantine is definitely next on the chopping block for schools once they realize they cant stay open if they actually stick to it.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Asproigerosis posted:

It's hard to be surprised when that British doc this thread likes gave away that part of the plot a few days ago. It's just the flu my dude.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Even if you have been exposed and are supposed to quarantine, you can come back to class if you promise to wear a mask in my girlfriend's district. death2boomers.gif

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

I got my buttons!

empty whippet box you're the best

my babies

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Gonna be great seeing the media completely ignores the skyrocketing death rate and instead asking "Why is the labor shortage getting worse? Could it be that minimum wage is too high? Is it really fair that able-bodied tweens are playing Fortnite instead of getting jobs???"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Think we might get usable data on infection rates for vaccinated people? Surveillance testing seems like the only way we can since most cases should be asymptomatic

Crunchy Black posted:

Even if you have been exposed and are supposed to quarantine, you can come back to class if you promise to wear a mask in my girlfriend's district. death2boomers.gif

My school district has issued the first round of close contact notifications and people are pissed it's 2 weeks out of school doing some crappy remote learning.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

my brain is so fuckin big, just absolutely filled with doom

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
the death rate won’t be reported, it’ll get buried in stories about how no one wants to work anymore

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Worldometers has yesterday at a mere 1500 deaths, the backlog dumping/reporting is absolutely an issue.

Highest since 3/4 and likely to get increased by backfill , but early March was breaking 2k with ease so we aren't nearly in the same boat.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 3, 2021

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
anything that happens now is normal

you don't write news stories about what's normal

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Think we might get usable data on infection rates for vaccinated people? Surveillance testing seems like the only way we can since most cases should be asymptomatic

yes, that is the upside — we'll have really good surveillance data on infection and transmission among vaccinated people, including asymptomatically

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

mastershakeman posted:

My school district has issued the first round of close contact notifications and people are pissed it's 2 weeks out of school doing some crappy remote learning.

This is suburban Georgia. Even if half the district was out simultaneously we will never shut anything down.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lol apparently HCA will pay for me to get a masters in public health

why the gently caress not

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FizFashizzle posted:

lol apparently HCA will pay for me to get a masters in public health

why the gently caress not

online only i hope

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Zurtilik posted:

All fair points! I did get some N95's with my respirator, I've mostly been doing the cloth/surgical thing but evidence and spread is making me want to get more protection.

Zoro has some P100 headband-style valved masks in stock that are a good halfway point if you don't want to go full resp krew but want to be as protected as possible

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Lenin Stimpy posted:

I wouldn't worry so much about variants right now; it's pretty clear that delta isn't going anywhere, as it can infect both vaccinated people and people who were previously infected. Mu (or any other variant) would have to outcompete delta. Unlikely in the short term. Longer term, as human antibody responses evolve with exposure and re-exposure to SARS-CoV-2, perhaps eventually a variant can find a way to wiggle past that. I wouldn't bet on it, given that we now see people who are totally immune to all coronaviruses because they had SARS-CoV and got vaccinated for SARS-CoV-2.

If there's anything to worry about, it's getting infected with delta and your body being at a disadvantage to respond to that infection (whether through being unvaccinated, 2x vaccinated but last dose 4-6+ months ago, immunocompromised, elderly, underlying health conditions, even sleeping poorly or having an unhealthy diet). Now's the time to get as much of your poo poo together as you can.

I'm completely serious when I say that our governments won't save us, not even the best people in any part of the US government would be able to save us from this. There's too many hogs, and no one is willing to do what's necessary to protect Americans.

Get ready to get infected eventually, and make the best plan that you can to care for yourself and loved ones

what exactly does 'outcompete' mean? I've seen it used many times. Is the implication that one cannot be infected with two different COVID variants at once?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Pizza posted:

what exactly does 'outcompete' mean? I've seen it used many times. Is the implication that one cannot be infected with two different COVID variants at once?

not yet

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

All those smart folks that keep on saying that a new variant won't outcompete delta is kinda being a bit too smart and focus solely on the data and isn't thinking a bit.

Delta is everywhere already. So if a variant somehow managed to mutate *and* spread enough to the point where we can detect it through genome sequencing, it means that it can compete enough with delta to be able to be detected in the first place.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

eventually you will get so many different variants their names will spell out a rune word and you will be able to teleport

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/09/pandemic-australia-still-liberal-democracy/619940/

quote:

And the government of South Australia, one of the country’s six states, developed and is now testing an app as Orwellian as any in the free world to enforce its quarantine rules. People in South Australia will be forced to download an app that combines facial recognition and geolocation. The state will text them at random times, and thereafter they will have 15 minutes to take a picture of their face in the location where they are supposed to be. Should they fail, the local police department will be sent to follow up in person. “We don’t tell them how often or when, on a random basis they have to reply within 15 minutes,” Premier Steven Marshall explained. “I think every South Australian should feel pretty proud that we are the national pilot for the home-based quarantine app.”

I'm not sure how useful this will be in Australia, but :lol: - I think this is hosed up and beyond the pale, and if you tried to do this poo poo in the US there would be shootouts as a result. My own general personal tendency would be to be vocally noncompliant with such a thing because I despise needing to ever know where my cellphone is. Unless my wife and I are apart, I see my phone as a one way conduit for me to contact the world, not the other way around. Also we don't even have service in many places including pockets of our own land, ha. I'll be curious to see how that goes, this one does not seem like a good model to follow.

Speaking of the US, another tidbit from my nurse cousin in VT: I'd been thinking things were "mostly okay" here in our general medical infra. :aaaah: -- my cousin said that right now, for instance if someone presents as a psych case at one of our two hospitals in the area there are no staffed psych beds to transfer them to anywhere within transfer distance so our ERs are being clogged by psych, and that was just the one specialty they mentioned as an example of how everything is unravelling.

I might just go ahead and winterize my dirtbike this weekend; I have zero interest in high-risk-of-medical-involvement activities right now, and if poo poo is this hosed up in NE already, the idea of some kind of actual systemic collapse of the overall medical system being a thing which is already happening, seems more plausible to me. Wonderful.

But no, no, the real problem is horse paste eaters getting dunked on too hard.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 3, 2021

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo
boss makes a dollar,
i make a dime.
postin' on the forums
from the COVID mine.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
it does look like mu got crushed by delta already though

the only place it's gaining is south america, which was lambda territory

lol this is like tracking kaijus or something. MOTHRA HAS THE WEST PACIFIC. GAMERA ADVANCES ON MEXICO.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

empty whippet box posted:

online only i hope

well yeah absolutely. I'm not driving my rear end to Chapel Hill.

also lmao straight from my inbox

https://twitter.com/formerlyfiz/status/1433770151753797641?s=20

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Pizza posted:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-brazil-coinfection-idUSKBN29X2YZ

quote:

BRASILIA (Reuters) - Researchers in southern Brazil said they have discovered patients infected with two different strains of the new coronavirus simultaneously, reflecting concerns about the growing number of variants in the country.

The researchers, who posted their findings Wednesday on medical website medRxiv, said their study would be the first in the world to confirm co-infection with two strains of the coronavirus. The study has yet to be published in a scientific journal and has not been peer reviewed.

The patients, both in their 30s, were infected in late November with the P.2 variant of coronavirus identified in Rio, also known as the B.1.1.28 lineage, and simultaneously tested positive for a second variant of the virus.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57761343

quote:

It is possible to catch two Covid variants at the same time, experts are warning after seeing a double infection in a 90-year-old woman who became sick with the Alpha and Beta types first identified in the UK and South Africa.

The woman, who died in March 2021 in Belgium, had not been vaccinated.

Her doctors suspect she contracted the infections from two different people.

They believe it is the first documented case of its kind and, although rare, similar dual infections are happening.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
to be clear assholes should not break quarantine

but the idea of the government being able to load an app on my phone which then has the ability to dispatch police if I don't respond to a text within fifteen minutes seems loving insane to me and if the US government ever had this power in any capacity for any reason, :lol:

(it's coming, if desertification doesn't kill us all first, probably).

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

well yeah absolutely. I'm not driving my rear end to Chapel Hill.

also lmao straight from my inbox

https://twitter.com/formerlyfiz/status/1433770151753797641?s=20

no cap, I hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Stoop Kid posted:

anyone had a chud confront them for wearing an elastometric? I get stared at in my 3M 7502, but nobody being aggressive so far. I am so much less angry and worried in public indoor spaces because the fit is far better than my kn95/kf94s - I just don’t wanna get assaulted

have some foxlab pepper spray on your keyring or something and you can walk through the fine mist of said spray while being perfectly fine with your respirator + goggle

Steve Yun posted:

You’re fine with KF94, KN95, FFP2 or N95 masks in almost any situation.

You’ll fit in more seamlessly in public

If you don’t care about fitting in, cartridge respirators are more economical since the cartridges can be used for 6 months in regular scenarios

Cartridge respirators will also protect you from COVID ward levels of exposure as long as you’re also covering your eyes

Cartridge respirators have the advantage of possibly scaring people around you into taking precautions more seriously through peer pressure

Cartridge respirators might not be allowed on air travel

Mu is dangerous because of how vaccine resistant it might be once it gets inside you, but it will not get past your mask any better than Delta. It’s even questionable if it will ever outcompete Delta.

I have a respirator just in case something comes along that’s more spreadable than Delta, but considering that my friend’s nurse daughter wore a KN95 and didn’t catch it from being around her infected coworker for several hours, I think the disposable KF94/KN95 masks I have now are enough
cover your exhaust port with a regular surgical mask or something and no one will make a peep

you will feel a lot more comfortable wearing the respirator since it fits so much better and being softer, you will need to adjust or fidget less too

you will feel a lot better and care less about whatever others are doing, including when someone literally coughs next to you or even in your face, we can see that the setup is pretty much proven as they are worn in hospital settings already

and wear a goggle

coke posted:

lol @ the NZ ministry of health website somehow actually having a page on eye protection
https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work...pe-and-covid-19

quote:

When and why should eye protection be worn?
Using eye protection can provide the health care worker an additional layer of protection against transmission of the COVID-19 virus through the conjunctiva of the eye. This can occur through direct splashes or spray from close contact with an infected person, or, rubbing your eyes after touching an object or surface that is contaminated. There are several options available for eye protection including; goggles or plastic glasses that have side visors and fit closely to your forehead and face or, alternatively, a long face shield that covers the eyes, nose and mouth can be used for eye protection.

Prescription glasses do not provide adequate eye protection due gaps around the frames. Reusable eye protection should be cleaned safely prior to reuse, following local Infection Prevention and Control protocols or manufacturer’s instructions.

In some low risk interactions, where COVID-19 is not suspected, a long face shield may provide reassurance to you and your patient/client and replace the need for eye protection and a mask.

:hmmyes: