Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

ELTON JOHN posted:

Maybe on Monday

It's chinese
Phillippe is wearing only JNCOs and a tie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I mean, it was 2002.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

some plague rats posted:

Well yeah because there's literally no conflict. It exists in a world entirely free from friction, just glossy brightly coloured orbs all sliding past each other to have a nice time where there's no judgement and even bucaneering violence is completely weightless

I like it fine but if it stopped being posted here I would never think about it again

I feel the same. There's some good gags and I like it visually, so I'll usually give it a glance, but fantasy world-building in web comics just seems engineered to slide off my brain. There might be good examples of it and I'm sure it can be done well, but I've been burned by enough "zany flatmates but it's actually my homebrew TTRPG setting" to just not stick my hand in that fire ever again.

I kind of dig Olgaf though. That just uses the nerd stuff as a springboard for gags and I don't have to worry that Krűntor the Barbarian is in love with Spellweavel the Mage but can't say because he hasn't had his coffee yet because the coffee maker is possessed by the spirit of Luna Lovehandles the bawdy bard or some poo poo. I actually like D&D nerdy stuff, but I generally do think less is more and giving a reader the sketches of a setting so they can fill in the blanks works best.

EDIT: I like the analysis that a lot of this fantasy stuff flys well on Tumblr as escapism and I get that and totally think it has its own merit, its just a mode that I can't get on board with at this point in my life. I can definitely see there being points where that style would get its hooks in to me.

Disco Pope has a new favorite as of 12:36 on Sep 3, 2021

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

I really need to get over the football head cause the rest of the art is gorgeous

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

We should at least be able to agree on that Space Dread is easily the consistently best part of Tredlocity.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

hazardousmouse posted:

I really need to get over the football head cause the rest of the art is gorgeous

It is kind of fascinating how Tom Siddell already was a pretty good artist from the beginning, just at everything except humans.

But he gets there with them too.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Finding out they were Trans gave Me good feelings. So yes I love her.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Humans are one of the hardest things to draw, there's a reason funny animals, robots and blobs are so common even for works that don't strictly need them.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Probably tried to decrease the workload by making highly stylized humans, but ended up with very unappealing result. Thankfully it didn't take too long to get better.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Regy Rusty posted:

It is kind of fascinating how Tom Siddell already was a pretty good artist from the beginning, just at everything except humans.

But he gets there with them too.

Case in point, the Annie in your Avatar looks great.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

cant cook creole bream posted:

Case in point, the Annie in your Avatar looks great.

Eh, she's ok.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Jose Valasquez posted:

We've all been there little guy :smith:

My dog likes bananas

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Elysiume posted:

pfsc is easily one of my favorite webcomics.

I only read this thread for PFSC, Achewood, and Clementine.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/Q_Review/status/1433778051209326597?s=19

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
I mentioned Cherry before. It is one of my favorite comics, so I am posting it. Here are all the instagram posts with it. I know that's not convenient but I don't really feel like rehosting the whole thing. Warning that it does have some :nws: bits.

post 1
post 2
post 3
post 4
post 5
post 6
post 7
post 8
post 9
post 10
post 11
post 12
post 13
post 14

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
And so, the cellar arc ends. But the real adventure is only about to begin.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I find the fluffy relationship stuff and interpersonal non-drama in Tredlocity way too saccharine for my tastes but I like the blue wizard man because he just does what he wants in every strip regardless of anyone else and that's a good way to be

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Phthisis posted:

I mentioned Cherry before. It is one of my favorite comics, so I am posting it. Here are all the instagram posts with it. I know that's not convenient but I don't really feel like rehosting the whole thing. Warning that it does have some :nws: bits.

post 1
post 2
post 3
post 4
post 5
post 6
post 7
post 8
post 9
post 10
post 11
post 12
post 13
post 14

I enjoyed this, thanks for sharing

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

:nws:

https://i.imgur.com/mQLM7YC.png

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Oh so you guys like the bleak stuff in Viz? Ok.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I don't even know why I like the bleaker ones, but I also always enjoyed Cyanide & Happiness's Depressing Comic Weeks. Black comedy is good.

I don't think I'll post any more of them, but this one felt very thread-appropriate.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Emotion gun farce part 3/3

Hitmen for Destiny #97: In which the bird loads itself

======================

Hitmen for Destiny #98: In which more dynamite explodes

======================

Hitmen for Destiny #99: In which financial loss is acknowledged

======================

Hitmen for Destiny #100: In which love is fallen into

Bodycount: 65
+gadanna

A surprisingly safe arc where hardly anyone died!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bogmonster posted:

Oh so you guys like the bleak stuff in Viz? Ok.
Honestly? No. But whatevs. Have you got any Paul Whicker the Tall Vicar?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

"I am back to normal" is the perfect example of Thorsby's skill at writing normal human dialogue.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

Fister Roboto posted:

"I am back to normal" is the perfect example of Thorsby's skill at writing normal human dialogue.

The real problem with that line is that the speech bubble is too far away from Annette's, so it doesn't read well as a response to "I hope you're back to normal".

The way she would have said it is "I am back to normal", but it comes off weird the way they're placed

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Is Thorsby's first language English?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Slimy Hog posted:

Is Thorsby's first language English?
No, he's Norwegian.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Hitmen for Destiny is set in Norway but that's only mentioned once or twice and it's easy to miss.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

KennyMan666 posted:

No, he's Norwegian.

That's what I thought, any weird dialogue that I saw when I read through his stuff always felt like it was caused by writing in something that's not his first language, not caused by misunderstanding how humans talk.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah, that's why Annette and her friends all have those fairytale fantasy names like Iversland

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KennyMan666 posted:

No, he's Norwegian.

English is just Norwegian with a bit of French thrown in.

Seroiuspost of course.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
There's also uh, no small shortage of spelling and grammar mistakes throughout HFD once you start noticing them

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

We've all been there little guy :smith:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

3D Megadoodoo posted:

English is just Norwegian with a bit of French thrown in.

Seroiuspost of course.

swedish has more french tho

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Nooooooooooo puuuuuupkinnn

I want pupkin to be happy so bad

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

swedish has more french tho

Adjö