Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They kept getting renewed so they had to stretch out just to keep going.

So like the exact opposite of game of thrones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I saw one episode early on and hated it and years later got to laugh at the fans of the show that were somehow expecting it to not end the way it was obviously always going to end.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Calaveron posted:

Yeah the big criticism of the final season of HIMYM besides the fact that it sucked balls and contradicted itself within itself (I mean remember how Ted completely and unequivocally let go of Robin and allowed himself to move on like three times in one season)

Ted doth protest too much.

The mother was obviously dead long before the finale. I think it's the penultimate season where he breaks down crying while retelling one of the stories involving her. How I Met Your Mother was never about meeting the mother, it was a hundred+ episodes about Robin and the girls that weren't as good as Robin, and future Ted needs to end the show looking forward again.

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew
How I met your mother blew it's chance in the ending to have future Ted be played by Bob Saget

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I really used to like HIMYM and I still think they have some pretty clever episodes, especially in the earlier seasons. The characters were never anything special, but I do love some nonsequential storytelling and they did play a lot with the usual sitcom structure.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

e X posted:

I really used to like HIMYM and I still think they have some pretty clever episodes, especially in the earlier seasons. The characters were never anything special, but I do love some nonsequential storytelling and they did play a lot with the usual sitcom structure.

I remember really enjoying the first three or four seasons as they were coming out but it shat the bed hard at the halfwayish point, as seemed to be the style of the mid-late 2000’s shows.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

AceOfFlames posted:

And yet they ended up turning Clamp himself into a nice guy because John Glover was too likable.

Other than being in NY and the real estate angle, was he really much of Trump? Like I know they said it and whatnot, but even besides the fact he's supremely likable, the whole TV angle, hands in every pie, the 'end of the world' news broadcast, and the 'Casablanca edit with a happy ending' all make him much more of a direct and overt Ted Turner parody.

Like maybe there's a tiny bit of Trump in there, but even putting aside how much of a likable guy Clamp is, everything in the movie paints him and his organization as more Turner than Trump.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I just remember the tviv thread got insanely salty over the finale, like the only thread that got that angry at a beloved tv show that managed to poo poo the bed any harder on its homestretch was game of thrones and that thread was pure sodium.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Calaveron posted:

I just remember the tviv thread got insanely salty over the finale, like the only thread that got that angry at a beloved tv show that managed to poo poo the bed any harder on its homestretch was game of thrones and that thread was pure sodium.

I remember a story (I think from here?) where someone was watching the finale in an apartment complex, and when they reveal the most telegraphed thing in the show (that Robin and Barney divorce) she heard someone scream "WHAT THE gently caress??" from one of the other apartments.

which is a fairly good summation of the finale.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

sassassin posted:

Ted doth protest too much.

The mother was obviously dead long before the finale. I think it's the penultimate season where he breaks down crying while retelling one of the stories involving her. How I Met Your Mother was never about meeting the mother, it was a hundred+ episodes about Robin and the girls that weren't as good as Robin, and future Ted needs to end the show looking forward again.

Must've been insanely awkward and weird for Ted's kids to be sitting there listening to stories about their dad having sex with their aunt and then when their mom who tragically died young is finally mentioned it's only for a couple of minutes and then back again to Aunt Robin.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rockman Reserve posted:

the last season had so much time compression i thought laguna and squall were going to show up

This deserves to live on a new page

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Other than being in NY and the real estate angle, was he really much of Trump? Like I know they said it and whatnot, but even besides the fact he's supremely likable, the whole TV angle, hands in every pie, the 'end of the world' news broadcast, and the 'Casablanca edit with a happy ending' all make him much more of a direct and overt Ted Turner parody.

Like maybe there's a tiny bit of Trump in there, but even putting aside how much of a likable guy Clamp is, everything in the movie paints him and his organization as more Turner than Trump.

He's a mix of both, they kept the traits pretty even too. He's got Trumps name, shameless self promotion, tacky taste in clothing and architecture. Turner's cable channel, hatred of B&W movies/TV, shameless self promotion and tacky taste in clothing and architecture.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He's a mix of both, they kept the traits pretty even too. He's got Trumps name, shameless self promotion, tacky taste in clothing and architecture. Turner's cable channel, hatred of B&W movies/TV, shameless self promotion and tacky taste in clothing and architecture.

I suppose. Still, given what a fun and likable character Clamp is, yeah, the comparisons to Trump, now more than ever, feel a bit off given Clamp's a well meaning idiot rather than a nihilistic narcissist standing as the god-king of open fascists.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rockman Reserve posted:

HIMYM was a tremendously bad show from basically every aspect, like I think we’re losing in all the “the main characters are monstrous garbage” chat the fact that the last two seasons (IIRC) covered a period of time of like three loving days

Lol that they went all Dragon Ball Z with it.

HIMYM almost seems proto Game of Thrones with how the finale just obliterated it from the popular mindset. Really getting vibes of either the writers having come up with the finale like a decade ago and applying it without recognising how the show had actually gone, or them just having a One True Pairing in mind that they're going to get come hell or high water like a bad fanfic author.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

christmas boots posted:

There was definitely an aspect it that where people enjoyed the contrast of openly gay NPH playing a lecherous womanizer.

If I can add another element of ickiness to Barney Stintson.

Something that bothered me was about the way NPH played him. He played the character in a light, breezy, airy, almost camp way. All the while the character was perpetrating sexual assaults, and lying and manipulating women into sleeping with him.

The breeziness of it, the cheerful bright manner of the portrayal and the "Oh Barney you rascal, hahaha" treatment of some of the horrific things he was doing, makes it all seem so much worse than if they had just had him as a flat out scary rapist.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lol that they went all Dragon Ball Z with it.

HIMYM almost seems proto Game of Thrones with how the finale just obliterated it from the popular mindset. Really getting vibes of either the writers having come up with the finale like a decade ago and applying it without recognising how the show had actually gone, or them just having a One True Pairing in mind that they're going to get come hell or high water like a bad fanfic author.

It was definitely this, since they had to shoot the finale without letting the kids age too much.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
HIMYM was on Nick at Nite for like 6 months in the prime early slots before getting permanently cancelled. During December of that period, Nick at Nite was only airing Christmas episodes so they aired the one about Robin being unable to conceive like 100 times. FRIENDS continues to air into perpetuity.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
One of the weirdest episodes is the one were Robin's teenage sister visits New York, with the intention of losing her virginity to her boyfriend on the trip and then Robin drags her into the Empire State Building and has her adulterous, mid-twenties friends convince her that it is better to wait.

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew

Shiroc posted:

HIMYM was on Nick at Nite for like 6 months in the prime early slots before getting permanently cancelled. During December of that period, Nick at Nite was only airing Christmas episodes so they aired the one about Robin being unable to conceive like 100 times. FRIENDS continues to air into perpetuity.

It's been years since I've watched nick at nite, but something had to replace endless George Lopez eventually.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Calaveron posted:

Must've been insanely awkward and weird for Ted's kids to be sitting there listening to stories about their dad having sex with their aunt and then when their mom who tragically died young is finally mentioned it's only for a couple of minutes and then back again to Aunt Robin.

I see you've listened to a parent's stories about their glory days before.

The kids knew their mother (I think she died when they were 10-12 or something), the story from the first episode was about Robin. Of course Barney (the guy who married her) is a monster who wasn't right for her.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

AceOfFlames posted:

It was definitely this, since they had to shoot the finale without letting the kids age too much.

Yeah, they filmed that last scene with the kids after season 2 with the original plan they'd introduce Sarah Chalke's character in season 3 and have her be the mother. But then CBS renewed them for 4 and 5 and they kept stretching out the story. It's funny that even then they already had Ted pegged as a piece of poo poo who was using this story about their mom as a passive aggressive way to convince the kids they should be okay with him dating again.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I suppose. Still, given what a fun and likable character Clamp is, yeah, the comparisons to Trump, now more than ever, feel a bit off given Clamp's a well meaning idiot rather than a nihilistic narcissist standing as the god-king of open fascists.

That's a statement made from 30 light years away. People certainly knew that Trump was a narcissist and a shady businessman in 1990, and anyone who kept an eye on the New York property market would have known about him being dragged to court for racist letting practices in the 70s, but his true nature wasn't yet wholly apparent and on full display. To the general public then he was just the self-promoting tycoon who owned a lot of tall buildings with his name on and insisted on making an appearance in any movies that were filmed in them. Which is exactly what Daniel Clamp is - a self-promoting tycoon who owns the tall building named after him, and who shoehorns himself into the plot of the movie set in it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

One of the weirder episodes I remember from HIMYM was one where Ted was dating some psychologist for a bit. After she had to spend some time with the gang she basically went "this is the most incestuously unhealthy codepent group of friends I have ever seen, gently caress this I'm out", and the reaction was basically them (and by extension the show) just shrugging and carrying on as before.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I haven't watched HIMYM, but it sounds like there was almost a concept of parodying the way "TV friendship" doesn't actually line up with healthy real-world relationships. I always viewed it as a show for people who wanted that comfort of a group of fictional friends where you get to be in on all the inside jokes etc., i.e. weird friendship simulation, but it sounds like at times they maybe had some intentions of actually subverting that. Then, you know, it gets super popular and rip

Martman has a new favorite as of 14:17 on Sep 3, 2021

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Perestroika posted:

One of the weirder episodes I remember from HIMYM was one where Ted was dating some psychologist for a bit. After she had to spend some time with the gang she basically went "this is the most incestuously unhealthy codepent group of friends I have ever seen, gently caress this I'm out", and the reaction was basically them (and by extension the show) just shrugging and carrying on as before.

That was Robin, and the psych was Kal Penn.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, they filmed that last scene with the kids after season 2 with the original plan they'd introduce Sarah Chalke's character in season 3 and have her be the mother. But then CBS renewed them for 4 and 5 and they kept stretching out the story. It's funny that even then they already had Ted pegged as a piece of poo poo who was using this story about their mom as a passive aggressive way to convince the kids they should be okay with him dating again.

And if they only had one season, The Mother was going to be Victoria (the baker.)

UNTIL the re-introduced her in the later seasons, she was my favorite of Ted's girlfriends.

Then they just ruined her character by having her have an affair with Ted right before her wedding, even though Ted had that exact same thing done to HIM, the fact that he went through with it was crazy. He almost stops her, but then still goes with her...and then after that they show that her fiancé was ALSO running away from the wedding, so that makes it ok, right? :rolleyes:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Jedit posted:

That's a statement made from 30 light years away. People certainly knew that Trump was a narcissist and a shady businessman in 1990, and anyone who kept an eye on the New York property market would have known about him being dragged to court for racist letting practices in the 70s, but his true nature wasn't yet wholly apparent and on full display. To the general public then he was just the self-promoting tycoon who owned a lot of tall buildings with his name on and insisted on making an appearance in any movies that were filmed in them. Which is exactly what Daniel Clamp is - a self-promoting tycoon who owns the tall building named after him, and who shoehorns himself into the plot of the movie set in it.

And the racist poo poo he was responsible for always had the veneer of simple greed instead so it was seen as evil but the banal sort.

Refusing to rent to African Americans was largely forgotten by the 80s but this case was front page news at least once a week for 5 years; https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/19/us/politics/donald-trump-central-park-south.html

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

DrBouvenstein posted:

And if they only had one season, The Mother was going to be Victoria (the baker.)

UNTIL the re-introduced her in the later seasons, she was my favorite of Ted's girlfriends.

Then they just ruined her character by having her have an affair with Ted right before her wedding, even though Ted had that exact same thing done to HIM, the fact that he went through with it was crazy. He almost stops her, but then still goes with her...and then after that they show that her fiancé was ALSO running away from the wedding, so that makes it ok, right? :rolleyes:

It’s even a hanging plot point after now being left at the altar hosed Ted up emotionally and took him a lot of time to process and get over.

Granted that could have been mostly for the writing staff to have an excuse not to have Ted meet the mother for a couple seasons if they knew this would be a long running thing.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
HIMYM is a really good example how it is okay to sometimes just let stories and when they are done and not when the ratings have declined too much.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Also you know how Ted cheated on her with Robin, well it turns out that she was also eying a guy of her own who she started dating a day after they broke up so Ted is still a harmless little angel whose actions are forgiven by destiny itself

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Calaveron posted:

Also you know how Ted cheated on her with Robin, well it turns out that she was also eying a guy of her own who she started dating a day after they broke up so Ted is still a harmless little angel whose actions are forgiven by destiny itself

Yup, that's the same guy that she was going to marry. Lt Dangle playing a German guy named Klaus.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Calaveron posted:

Forgiven by Ted, who is telling this story to his children.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Neito posted:

I remember a story (I think from here?) where someone was watching the finale in an apartment complex, and when they reveal the most telegraphed thing in the show (that Robin and Barney divorce) she heard someone scream "WHAT THE gently caress??" from one of the other apartments.

which is a fairly good summation of the finale.

What was crazy is that the show had spent the past three or so seasons building up the Robin/Barney relationship, and the last season up until the finale, as mentioned before, was set during the weekend of the wedding. And IIRC the whole thing falls apart in the first half of the finale. So roughly 20 minutes to undo 3 seasons worth of narrative.

It was actually pretty impressive.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

christmas boots posted:

What was crazy is that the show had spent the past three or so seasons building up the Robin/Barney relationship, and the last season up until the finale, as mentioned before, was set during the weekend of the wedding. And IIRC the whole thing falls apart in the first half of the finale. So roughly 20 minutes to undo 3 seasons worth of narrative.

And the show also spent 8 seasons showing why Ted and Robin just don't work on a fundamental level but nope we recorded these goony kids 9 years ago saying "go bone Robin dad" so by gum that's what we're doing.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Ive never seen it but none of that sounds to bad. I can forgive a story for being self aggrandizing if its literally a story someone is telling someone else about themselves.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Huh. I never did think about the fact that they had to film all the future kids scenes at once.

They're lucky they started the show once HD widescreen was the norm.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah they couldn't let the kids age or get recast so at one point they were basically locked in to a storyline going forward.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Ive never seen it but none of that sounds to bad. I can forgive a story for being self aggrandizing if its literally a story someone is telling someone else about themselves.

It was bad to watch honestly. Once you realize everything they were building to was pointless the bad pacing hit worse.

Like the plotlines themselves were fine, but the whole ending felt like a rewrite which apparently it wasn’t.

Which is impressive in a way

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

christmas boots posted:

I don't know how anyone watches those seasons and comes away thinking their relationship was good/healthy/going to last. It's basically a long series of Barney loving up, apologising or making some big romantic gesture, then a brief period of forgiveness and repeat. He's spinning plates all the way up to the "I do".

Actually I guess I can understand as it's not like Marshall & Lily's marriage is presented as being any better by that point. Just like other points in the show Ted skips past the times where he's really happy and his friends' lives are falling apart so we just get the quick summary of the fallout.

The ending is fine. Good, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah they couldn't let the kids age or get recast so at one point they were basically locked in to a storyline going forward.

Better planning would have involved taking extra alternate footage in advance. That would give them a recovery if something unexpected happened (like a major actor dying), and also avoided any issues with the ending leaking in advance (since even if one of the kid actors wanted to share who the mother was, they'd have seen multiple contradictory things in the script).