Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rockman Reserve posted:

How the hell did I not know there was a third Riddick film, I loved Pitch Black.

It’s good but the pacing felt a little weird to me. Definitely worth watching though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah it is kind of two shorter movies crammed together.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Imagined posted:

I'm guessing this person defines 'horror" in an extremely pedantic way but I don't see why we should give a poo poo

How did you guess?!?!

https://twitter.com/elle_hunt/status/1379343795968479236?s=20

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Imagined posted:

I'm guessing this person defines 'horror" in an extremely pedantic way but I don't see why we should give a poo poo

There has to be a house, which you can't build in space. Second ghosts can walk through walls and would just float away in space.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Just throw in an exorcism at the end and any setting can work for horror.

fake edit: and a statement at the beginning letting you know it's based on a true story.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Just throw in an exorcism at the end and any setting can work for horror.

fake edit: and a statement at the beginning letting you know it's based on a true story.

Easy. Just have a Not-Jeff Bezos go into space and they get all haunted and poo poo by all the dead workers when they gets up into space. Done.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Event Horizon was awesome, especially the "gently caress THIS SHIP."

No debating about the cost of the ship. No wondering if they're imagining things.

Nope. We getting the gently caress outta here.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8YObV6i_Yc

The most sensible character that's ever been in a horror or sci-fi movie

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Neito posted:

Pretty much the only thing I know about Riddick is the Open Palm Slam a VHS copypasta, but everything I've heard makes it sound pretty good.

Wasn't the video game also really good for a movie game?

Riddick is basically Conan the Barbarian in space. Chronicles leans more into the sci-fantasy side of it compared to Pitch Black.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I cannot wrap my head around this take. Space can't be fear of the unknown because we already know it's unknown. bwuuuuhhhhh

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I cannot wrap my head around this take. Space can't be fear of the unknown because we already know it's unknown. bwuuuuhhhhh

Look, it's only horror if it's familiar, but not too familiar, but not too not familiar.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Monsters are scary because there normally aren't monsters, but monsters in space can't be scary because we don't know anything about space so maybe monsters in space are normal and normal things can't be scary.

:eng101:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If I were to play devil's advocate…

Having a known point allows us to see how terrifying the unknown element that is introduced is. If you start with in unknown then you never have your bearings. If I see a haunted house movie then I can relate because I've been in a house. If a movie takes place in a ship traveling through deep space I have no idea what that's like.

I should note I do not agree with this person at all and want more sci-fi horror movies.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's why the first half hour shows the characters in the spaceship they've all been living in together before sending them into the unknown. They're familiar and comfortable there, the viewer doesn't have to be in order to empathise

Man I just can't consider The Grudge horror because I've never lived in japan

Tunicate posted:

Look, it's only horror if it's familiar, but not too familiar, but not too not familiar.

please do not post bean dad lyrics itt

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

https://twitter.com/elle_hunt/status/1379346760091451393

This person purports to be a writer and is unable to go "things can be more than one thing"

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012
My irritating thing is when a cop ends up with a gambling debt to mobsters, and then the mob is like you gotta coverup/do these crimes or we will kill your family. The shows want the cops to be the good guys, so they can't just go, do these crimes, and we will pay your debts, because then it is too much like a bribe.
So they always lean into threats, but if they are going to go straight to the threats why does the mob need the debt in the first place?
Also I would think having a non-bribeable cop with a large debt would be a problem for the mob, not a problem for the cop.
Like what if the cop just doesn't pay, and tells their superiors? What is the mob going to do?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well there are known unknowns, and unknown unknowns, and horror is the known unknowns, otherwise it's sci fi.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

ianmacdo posted:

My irritating thing is when a cop ends up with a gambling debt to mobsters, and then the mob is like you gotta coverup/do these crimes or we will kill your family. The shows want the cops to be the good guys, so they can't just go, do these crimes, and we will pay your debts, because then it is too much like a bribe.
So they always lean into threats, but if they are going to go straight to the threats why does the mob need the debt in the first place?
Also I would think having a non-bribeable cop with a large debt would be a problem for the mob, not a problem for the cop.
Like what if the cop just doesn't pay, and tells their superiors? What is the mob going to do?

Probably the cop wouldn't like having to explain how he got heavily in debt to the mafia?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Just imagining a show/movie where the "good cop" that's heavily indebted to the mafia from gambling goes to their chief who then says "yo shut the gently caress up and do what they tell you like the rest of us do"

Being indebted to the mob via gambling seems like one of those quicksand things where growing up it seemed like a huge problem you'd have to stay wary of

stringless has a new favorite as of 10:53 on Sep 3, 2021

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Considering how much emphasis was placed on learning "Stop, Drop and Roll", I assumed I would have been on fire a lot more times than I have* at this point in my life.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Android Apocalypse posted:

If I were to play devil's advocate…

Having a known point allows us to see how terrifying the unknown element that is introduced is. If you start with in unknown then you never have your bearings. If I see a haunted house movie then I can relate because I've been in a house. If a movie takes place in a ship traveling through deep space I have no idea what that's like.

I should note I do not agree with this person at all and want more sci-fi horror movies.

That seems like a line of thought that ends with a horror film only being classified as such if it takes place where I live. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre? I don't live in Texas, maybe inbred families and chainsaw-wielding lunatics are normal in Texas (I guess you have to use a chainsaw when medical abortion is outlawed). Nightmare on Elm Street? Never been there, the spirit of a dead child molester killing people in their dreams could be a normal part of life in Ohio. It's only horror if it takes place in a small village in the Midlands of England. Otherwise it's just sparkling terror.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The point of familiarity is the people. It's why horror movies with well-written and recognisable characters work better than those where everyone acts like weird mannequin aliens. 'Alien' works as well as it does because of how familiar the people are - likewise Ash, whom we were talking about, seems a bit spooky even before you know because he's a bit weird and off-putting and chilly. If the whole crew seemed weird then the horror wouldn't work. IMO.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

HopperUK posted:

better than those where everyone acts like weird mannequin aliens.

I couldn't force myself to watch more Raised by Wolves.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FFT posted:

Just imagining a show/movie where the "good cop" that's heavily indebted to the mafia from gambling goes to their chief who then says "yo shut the gently caress up and do what they tell you like the rest of us do"

Being indebted to the mob via gambling seems like one of those quicksand things where growing up it seemed like a huge problem you'd have to stay wary of

I think a lot is probably holdover from the Hays Code and similar where lawmen couldn't ever be shown being corrupt, lazy or turning a blind eye, and like with most things they saw on TV the Boomers grew up with that as a given. Thing is they can't square the circle with how organised crime oriented shows often have the police be effectively a nonfactor or easily dealt with. Organised crime on a large enough scale always has and can only exist with at very least the assent of and often active support from law enforcement, who have plenty of ways to play dumb to cover up their tracks.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

All horror movies are in space bc earth is in space

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

bitterandtwisted posted:

All horror movies are in space bc earth is in space
:aaaaa:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I could buy this take if she was just expressing her own tastes - that she enjoys horror that is about horrible things encroaching on the mundane and familiar, so sci-fi horror just doesn't work for her. But to say it doesn't count as horror is just nonsense.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

It's only horror if it takes place in a small village in the Midlands of England. Otherwise it's just sparkling terror.

I think everything that takes place in a village in the midlands is some kind of horror, yes.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

The real answer is that the Ben Gardner scene was added in post production by Spielberg who wanted One More Scare and in the main script the idea of Matt having his own vessel was never even brought up. Also, that it's more tense and dramatic to use the old school Orca in ways that can showcase Quint.

I thought it was that the scare scene was just re-shot again. Hooper and Brody have the conversation with the mayor about finding the tooth, unless that was also added.

flavor.flv posted:

Because all the computers in the world can't spear a great white, and there's no sensor that can haul that mass of flesh and teeth up on the deck. That's a fine boat, sure, made for all kinds of monitoring and tracking and oceanographic research. The Orca's made for one thing: killing sharks.

I read your reply in Quint's voice and it fit perfectly.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Sand Monster posted:

I thought it was that the scare scene was just re-shot again. Hooper and Brody have the conversation with the mayor about finding the tooth, unless that was also added.

It was just reshot:

Wikipedia posted:

Spielberg also decided that he was greedy for "one more scream", and reshot the scene in which Hooper discovers Ben Gardner's body, using $3,000 of his own money after Universal refused to pay for the reshoot. The underwater scene was shot in Fields's swimming pool in Encino, California, using a lifecast latex model of Craig Kingsbury's head attached to a fake body, which was placed in the wrecked boat's hull. To simulate the murky waters of Martha's Vineyard, powdered milk was poured into the pool, which was then covered with a tarpaulin.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Memento posted:

https://twitter.com/elle_hunt/status/1379346760091451393

This person purports to be a writer and is unable to go "things can be more than one thing"

It's also this weird reverence to the idea of Genres as sacred categories, rather than helpful tags that describe what happens to give you an idea of what's going to happen. It's like the perscriptavist vs descriptavist debate, but even dumber.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

Simply put, it's only horror if it's from a region that's familiar, otherwise it's just sparkling anxiety.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
She's also just way off on the idea of horror being limited to "fear of the other". John Carpenter broke it down this way:

There's two types of horror. The first type is about the fear of what is outside of our camp, our community, the unknown of what's out there. So yes that includes the "other"(another tribe), but it also includes all sorts of terrifying poo poo that we may not know about(space, aliens, Bigfoot, etc.)

The second type is fear of what comes from inside our own community, the darkness inside each person. The evil that may be sitting next to you at this very campfire.

So my point is she's missing like three quarters of the genre with her extremely narrow definition.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Where would a haunted butthole fit?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Basebf555 posted:

She's also just way off on the idea of horror being limited to "fear of the other". John Carpenter broke it down this way:

There's two types of horror. The first type is about the fear of what is outside of our camp, our community, the unknown of what's out there. So yes that includes the "other"(another tribe), but it also includes all sorts of terrifying poo poo that we may not know about(space, aliens, Bigfoot, etc.)

The second type is fear of what comes from inside our own community, the darkness inside each person. The evil that may be sitting next to you at this very campfire.

So my point is she's missing like three quarters of the genre with her extremely narrow definition.

Yeah, like half of Poe's output was incredibly mundane things made extreme, like obsession in Telltale Heart, nostalgic melancholia in Berenice, or pervasive inherited depression in The Fall of the House of Usher.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Memento posted:

Considering how much emphasis was placed on learning "Stop, Drop and Roll", I assumed I would have been on fire a lot more times than I have* at this point in my life.

I will say as a person who('s clothes) has been on fire twice that it is very, very good that it was pounded into your head as many times as it was because your immediate instinct is to start running, and only the intensity of the childhood mantra's repetition kept me from bolting away from the fire and giving it a poo poo ton more oxygen to get larger. (I was a particularly stupid Boy Scout and had a clumsy lab partner once).

Also Horror in space exists or how else do you explain?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critters_4

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Where would a haunted butthole fit?

Most of the time ghosts and hauntings represent our own stuff coming back to confront us, it usually comes from within. So like, Poltergeist, where the ghosts and whatnot represented the trauma of what we did to Native Americans when we murdered them and bulldozed over their lands to build soulless suburbs.

So while it's not impossible that a haunted butthole could be caused by like, an extradimensional demon or something like that, my guess is that it's based on a more internal fear.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

The Thing, of course, being a good example of utilising both and blurring the boundaries between them.

It's a dumb thing to try and argue for many many reasons but one of the things that low-key bothers me most about it is that she singles out space for some reason and ignores like, deep sea horror, which is essentially identical to space horror most of the time, and equally as alien and unknown. Or hell, something like The Descent - cave systems are as alien, inaccessible and unfamiliar to the average person as space is. Is that then not horror, according to her? Cos it scared the hell out of me lol.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

OwlFancier posted:

I think everything that takes place in a village in the midlands is some kind of horror, yes.

As someone who spent his childhood there this is accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Basebf555 posted:

Most of the time ghosts and hauntings represent our own stuff coming back to confront us, it usually comes from within. So like, Poltergeist, where the ghosts and whatnot represented the trauma of what we did to Native Americans when we murdered them and bulldozed over their lands to build soulless suburbs.

So while it's not impossible that a haunted butthole could be caused by like, an extradimensional demon or something like that, my guess is that it's based on a more internal fear.

Thank you