Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I only like Hasans who chop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

if someone irl asked me if I liked Hasan I would assume they're talking about Mehdi Hasan

I must be getting old

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
https://youtu.be/gAbi2_n8_Mw

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

equally well-done and pathetic jesus christ

this vid does give a good idea of the twitch demo

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

hasan said hed go ham on trumps bussy on tyt
so hes golden in my book

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit

i say swears online posted:

https://twitch.tv/hitch
hitch is biking across newfoundland and labrador at the moment, he's got a new setup so the audio isn't ideal

https://twitch.tv/finaolive
gulf shark fisherman, good camera but not very lively commentary

https://twitch.tv/broxh_
maori woodworker, nicest guy on the planet, cool accent

https://twitch.tv/wildearth
live safaris on nature reserves in botswana and south africa with camera-switching to active sites. really neat saturday-morning content

https://twitch.tv/donutkingtv
donuts every night

https://twitch.tv/agendafreetv
nonpartisan breaking news, he takes twitter tips and is generally a speedy source for natural disasters

https://twitch.tv/mr_horologist
watch repair, great camera angles if you like gears

there's definitely good stuff out there, but i'd say 95% of channels are garbage

Play some video games

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

ok its way worse than I thought then

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Payment Day posted:

Play some video games

playing dyson sphere program with live video of a cool cheetah on my second monitor is peak gaming

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

idgi

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Please follow me on Twitch: @fart

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
some personal news

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/hasanthehun/status/1432717361765830668

Lol

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

actually hasan celebrities are a form of unproductive labor, meaning he takes a cut for being your patron rather than you adding value to something.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I consider any leftist that accepts donations but isn't using it for anything that helps people or does leftist stuff to be a grifter. They'd be able to do their streams or podcasts even if they made no money. Maybe not on a regular basis, but whatever. They aren't running for office, organizing a movement, running a charity, or anything else that puts the money towards trying to make a difference. I don't see a worthy reason to help subsidize their lives just because they say stuff I like on the internet. I feel the same way towards all streamers and podcasters. I'd love to reward people who entertain me, but I have bills to pay and it makes no difference to me whether or not they can afford to keep doing their entertainment stuff. They aren't my friends, I don't know them, and nobody but them will get anything out of a donation I make.

I also feel weird about parasocial moneymaking in general. The whole thing feels very wrong to me even if I can't put words to why it feels wrong.

Either way it doesn't really matter what I think. I think donating to these people is wasteful but people will do it anyway. I just hope people understand that these people aren't messiahs, they're glorified pundits, so don't be surprised if they use your donations for their own self interests.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I love Hasan

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

The Skeleton King posted:

I consider any leftist that accepts donations but isn't using it for anything that helps people or does leftist stuff to be a grifter. They'd be able to do their streams or podcasts even if they made no money. Maybe not on a regular basis, but whatever. They aren't running for office, organizing a movement, running a charity, or anything else that puts the money towards trying to make a difference. I don't see a worthy reason to help subsidize their lives just because they say stuff I like on the internet. I feel the same way towards all streamers and podcasters. I'd love to reward people who entertain me, but I have bills to pay and it makes no difference to me whether or not they can afford to keep doing their entertainment stuff. They aren't my friends, I don't know them, and nobody but them will get anything out of a donation I make.

I also feel weird about parasocial moneymaking in general. The whole thing feels very wrong to me even if I can't put words to why it feels wrong.

Either way it doesn't really matter what I think. I think donating to these people is wasteful but people will do it anyway. I just hope people understand that these people aren't messiahs, they're glorified pundits, so don't be surprised if they use your donations for their own self interests.

They're my friends and they're going to post here next Tuesday

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

IMO it's only worth donating to people in contexts like this if they're not yet making a decent living wage (like if a web serial I like is being written by someone who is only making like $1k/month from it and would prefer to do it full-time). I feel like a decent rule of thumb should be "you shouldn't be donating to the Patreon (or however donations are accepted) of anyone who makes more money than you."

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah I don't donate to big streamers, but if your idea of a leftist podcaster furthering leftist ideals with their money by "donating to charity" I think you've lost the plot

hasan spent a couple hours of his stream yesterday explaining how to ddos that abortion snitch website texas just set up. that seems more leftist than donating to the red cross or w/e

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

i say swears online posted:

yeah I don't donate to big streamers, but if your idea of a leftist podcaster furthering leftist ideals with their money by "donating to charity" I think you've lost the plot

hasan spent a couple hours of his stream yesterday explaining how to ddos that abortion snitch website texas just set up. that seems more leftist than donating to the red cross or w/e

Oh yeah, charity doesn't really mean much. Charity in general is pretty insufficient. I was just including it as an example of there at least being SOMETHING that you can say the money is going to other than a bank account.

I suppose a better example would be like the bail funds during the protests last year, which to many content maker's credit they actually did give some of their donation money to those. Stuff that money can be used for that matters. I get that there's few things that can be done to actually make a difference in our cursed country.

And I also don't mean to imply that streamers and podcasters never do anything good or useful. I mostly mean that they don't need all this money to do it and people should always think hard before giving them money.

Ytlaya posted:

IMO it's only worth donating to people in contexts like this if they're not yet making a decent living wage (like if a web serial I like is being written by someone who is only making like $1k/month from it and would prefer to do it full-time). I feel like a decent rule of thumb should be "you shouldn't be donating to the Patreon (or however donations are accepted) of anyone who makes more money than you."

Yeah that's a good rule to follow. I'm cool with giving a tiny bit to someone who wants to escape the grind and do something they care about. I myself hope to someday use my own artistic ability to get some of that sweet internet money, just enough to reduce my work hours and be happier, so I won't poo poo on that. I still feel weird about the parasocial aspects of this but whatever.

I will poo poo on donating to someone who is making above a living wage or more than the person donating, as you said.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

I hoard all of the free Amazon Prime subscriptions I get to myself, as praxis

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Parasocial relationships exemplify the alienation of 21st century capitalism like nothing else does.

Delete the internet.

And Hasan is a scam artist hth

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Hes a shittier Infrared, OP

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I will poo poo on donating to someone who is making above a living wage or more than the person donating, as you said.

carefully examining the 1040s of every artist on spotify before i assent to clicking play and giving them any of my hard earned money

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

The guy who's tweeting is arguing that Hasan uses content from other creators for his brand and they receive no money or credit.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Chuka Umana posted:

The guy who's tweeting is arguing that Hasan uses content from other creators for his brand and they receive no money or credit.

Hasan should pay for channel 4 for watching a reality show from 20 years ago about people who lose their bags at the airport

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I myself hope to someday use my own artistic ability to get some of that sweet internet money, just enough to reduce my work hours and be happier, so I won't poo poo on that. I still feel weird about the parasocial aspects of this but whatever.

check out the art section of twitch, you can just have a camera on your work and minimize the 'you' aspect of the stream to avoid a lot of that, but viewers usually want personalities

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Hasan should pay for channel 4 for watching a reality show from 20 years ago about people who lose their bags at the airport

hope he sees this thread bro

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

AnimeIsTrash posted:

hope he sees this thread bro

why would he go to this website

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

not nearly enough content

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

why would he go to this website
Why wouldn't the new owner check out his website?

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Not Channel 4. The working class people who made that show from the cameraman to the sound guy or whatever.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
N-no... He's a baka who could never like... But did he ask you to ask? Just asking haha

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
https://clips.twitch.tv/MuddySpikyClipsdadMingLee-BRnA4ghvGWg_ytOG

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the cameraman, willneff, is one of the most positive and infectiously funny streamers on the platform

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R2qp1F5n8Q

Tiaer
Oct 6, 2020
Didn't Jeffrey Katzenberg, a huge DNC donor, prop up The Young Turks? Glenn Greenwald has talked about it a lot.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

he definitely got his career from connections there, but afaik hasan and cenk are estranged. he dunks on cenk's twitter meltdowns on stream

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol if you argue yourself into a position where hasan is a grifter but chapo isn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.
Hasan is cool