Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
Vallery, Frayne, and Eliza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Since the party was Eliza, Frayne and Remus for a while, let's go with Vallery, Leona, Hien.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Vallery, Frayne, and Remus.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I'm taking Leona Hien and Vallery, so you can take Eliza Frayne and Remus.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ultrafilter posted:

Since the party was Eliza, Frayne and Remus for a while, let's go with Vallery, Leona, Hien.
:hai:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Vallery, Frayne and Eliza sounds fine.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I can't believe how much use :catdrugs: gets. :allears:

Remus, Hien, and Leona!

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

vilkacis posted:

I can't believe how much use :catdrugs: gets. :allears:

You have no idea the joy I felt when I realized I had an opportunity to use it. It's one of my favourite obscure use smilies.

Vallery seems like a shoe-in at this point, so I made a build for him last night... kind of. If I think of something better, then I still have time to implement it since I haven't recorded yet.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Update 27: The Bottle Episode

Another party vote was held and there’s been a change to the lineup. Vallery is voted in overwhelmingly, while Frayne scores a spot and Hien manages to hold onto his.

The best I could come up with for Vallery in terms of build is as an Elemental Attacker. Lightning Power gives his weapon Holy/Lightning element and just applies whichever one is more effective against the attacked enemy. Thunder Resist Down will allow him to gradually reduce an enemy’s resistance to Lightning as they are being attacked, which should result in Vallery’s damage creeping up as time goes on (assuming the enemy is weaker to Thunder/Lightning than Holy).

Finally, I give him ATW Reduction +3, because his ATW is garbage. He’s at 54 ATW with the Reduction stone and Quick Attack Level 3. That’s just sad.

Should we see what it was?

Yeah, we better.

Thank you. The sound was most unsettling.

Not too far into this update, I will snag something that will greatly improve Vallery’s build. Something that I had to sacrifice a Mission Complete for.

But, we’ll discuss that soon enough. For now, Maggie has returned. Well, she actually returned the night the Furlough ended, but we sort of had other things to do that required me to skip a few scenes.

So just pretend that this is all happening the night after we found that dude’s missing wife and the pendant for Hien.

You got back late. I was worried.

Ah, well, my apologies for that. I got tied up with this investigation.

Where did you go to conduct your investigation?

A little ways from my village. It brought back memories, so I stayed a little longer than I planned. I was hoping to bring back some research materials, but all I dug up was junk.

I just can’t leave that village behind. I might just move back there after everything’s over.

Aren’t you lonely?

Haha. “Lonely” seems like such a childish notion. If anything, it feels like the village is lonely for me whenever I’m away. Besides, I’m used to living alone.

That’s all Maggie has for us, so we head back to bed. We can’t give her the projector just yet, so we’ll have to try again in the morning.

Somehow I feel at ease when I’m standing by this tree… When I thanked Crevanille, it was by this tree, too, huh? I wonder how he’s doing these days… Wait… What’s this?

Y-You… You never change, do you, Crevanille? Though… I don’t really, either. Thank you, Crevanille.

Well isn’t that sweet. Tricia found the reply we left for her.

I still don’t see her in the party, though. :colbert: Clock is ticking, girl.

In the morning, our party members meet us outside Crevanille’s room and we head downstairs to turn the projector over to Maggie.

If we place the gem here… Oh, is this the scanner? All right, I think I understand. I need to insert this in here. It should take me about a day.

We leave it in your capable hands. Master, as there is nothing to do but wait, I suggest going to bed.

And then we go straight back to bed, apparently. You could have let us squeeze in a brief furlough if we were just going to waste an entire day, you know.

When we try and leave, Maggie mentions that a strange girl was snooping around last night.

Are you referring to Meline? She escaped from Vester while you were away.

Hmmm, Meline…

Is something the matter?

It… it’s just my imagination. She just reminds me vaguely of someone I used to know. Never mind. Go on about your business. I’ll get to work on the Projector.

All right, then. To bed!

And then we get another vision. A vision that will seem incredibly important, but which we will not inform anyone of for some mysterious reason.

Have we come far enough to use summoning spells, then?

No, not yet. There is more you must still learn.

A little advanced training, then?

Exactly. To use a summoning spell, you must form a contract with a creature from another world.

Okay! Let’s hurry up and get to the contracts, then!

And then the vision stops. Seriously, we already know Vester is bad news. You would think that Crevanille would immediately go to everyone and be like “Hey, Vester is doing some poo poo at Marquelay castle. We should get on that sooner rather than later.” I don’t—

Oh, hang on. Meline has wandered into Crevanille’s room in the middle of the night for some reason.

Meline, what is wrong? You appear very pale.

If this is an assassination attempt, then you’ve already failed by virtue of Crevanille being awake.

Wh-Where am I…? Mama? Papa? Where are you? Where’s Cynthia?

Uh, are you okay, Meline?

Crevanille? Who are you…? I don’t know you… I’m feeling dizzy… and light-headed… I-I’m… Crevanille, h-help me!

*And then she gets the stun animation over her head and faceplants into the floor*

Meline! What just happened? Meline seemed well not too long ago.

Great, now what?

That voice, did you hearit? [sic] There’s someone downstairs!

Excuse us, Levan, but Meline is sound asleep in Master’s room. Could you watch over her for us?

Also, do not jump to any rash conclusions. There’s a perfectly reasonable explanation for what she’s doing in there in the middle of the night.

[Levan]: Yes, of course! Please just be careful, everyone.

*Levan heads into Crevanille’s room and shuts the door*

Now, then. Let’s deal with these late-night intruders. Nobody violates the sanctity of No Angeles and gets away with it.

Make sure to do your buffing before going downstairs. Most importantly, you should have someone with Magic Shell by this point in the game. Slap that on every party member.

What are you doing?

Valkania can’t afford to lose any ground in this war. So, anyone who studies ancient technology is dangerous and to be eliminated.

Well, that’s too bad for you. Crevanille doesn’t tolerate anyone breaking into his city.

The battle starts and we are tasked with wiping out Zombie Regina and her monster forces before they breach the lab and get to Maggie.

As with any battle where Lich enemies are present, make sure you deal with them first. They are always cheating assholes that cast Joint spells single-handedly and can spam them to a ludicrous degree.

The thing is, if you have Magic Shell on, then their AI can be broken.

The Lich enemies desperately want to hit you with High Cycle Down, which would erase your Cycle Up Buffs after the first cast, and then slow you down after a second cast. Before you’ve even had a chance to do anything, both Lich enemies will pop one of these off (which, I remind you, shouldn’t be possible to do by themselves, let alone that fast).

Magic Shell, however, will negate their efforts. So, what do the Lich do when confronted with the fact that their High Cycle Down didn’t stick?

Try again, obviously! With Magic Shell blocking the Cycle Down effects on all your party members, the Lich will get caught in a loop of repeatedly casting it. This is what you want, since they are wasting their turns and not casting any of their more dangerous spells like Death or Tornado/Lightning Storm/Earthquake/Meteor.

With the Angels gone, your usefulness is at an end. Prepare to die.

Lich are very weak to Holy, so you should have an easy time killing them before Magic Shell wears off. I have Frayne and Hien cast Holy Cross at Level 2, which deals with them both at once. If Eliza was in the party, then I would have just had her and Frayne cast Holy individually, since it would be quicker.

In case you thought I was joking about the AI breaking, the bonus gauge is currently sitting at 47. In the time it has taken for the gauge to drain by 3 and Crevanille to make his first attack on that Guardian enemy, the Lich have casted High Cycle Down a total of 14 times between them.

The player negated its flagrant cheating bullshit, so the game can’t think of anything else to do but attempt to cheat harder.

Once the Lich enemies are dead, there’s not much more to this mission. That big troll guy in the north takes his sweet time heading for Maggie’s lab (if he moves towards it at all). Regina is the biggest threat, since she will start moving for the door immediately, but she’s pretty slow. There’s also only a single enemy standing between Crevanille and her.

Now, in order to get a Mission Complete, you have to kill all the enemies before dealing with Regina. Unfortunately for me, Crevanille attacked her normally at first, at which point I realized I hadn’t stolen anything from her, yet. Upon using Thievery, Crevanille proceeded to kill her with it. Normally I would reload, except that—

Crevanille ended up stealing Reginleif. Reginleif applies all elemental weapon buffs at the same time, and then just picks whichever one is most effective against the enemy being attacked. It’s essentially a combination of all Magma/Blizzard/Lightning/etc. Power spellstones.

I may attempt to redo this mission later and see if I can score Reginleif again while also killing all the other enemies before Regina for a Mission Complete. We’ll see.

Anyway, once Zombie Regina goes down, the Undead Knight dies while the troll guy teleports away for some reason.

Superlative, everyone. Maggie is safe. What is Regina’s status, though?

…It’s too good for me to give up. I must have it for Vallery.

Oh, right. Regina. What’s going on with her?

Ungh… uhhh…

She appears to be waking up!

*Maggie comes out of the lab*

Regina…? Why were you trying to kill me?

Ngh… P-Please… Quickly… finish me off, before… before…

What? Why? Do you need to die because you failed to kill me?

No, that’s not it. It’s just, if you don’t… he’ll… he’ll change me back…

Huh?

:stonk: Oh sweet Jesus, what the gently caress is that?!

H-He controls my body and mind… The power he uses to control me is weak right now… But I can feel it getting stronger again. You have to do it now! Any more of this and… Crevanille…! Hurry!

Let’s remove what’s controlling her!

:argh: Stab the creepy eyeball thing!

If you’re thinking of removing me, just know that doing so will also kill the girl.

What?

She lost her heart before, and she died. However, with me acting as her replacement heart, she was able to continue living. If you tear me away from her, just what do you think will happen?

So, she was dead, but then resuscitated via these… means… I understand now…

Yo, thanks for telling us about that, mysterious bad guy that’s not Vester. We appreciate you giving us all the info we need to plan a cure.

This cannot be…

Next time we meet, I will make you as lifeless as this girl once was… Or will you perhaps kill me again? Hahahaha, how exciting!

:shrug: We’ll see what I feel like on that day.

*Regina then teleports away*

To be forced to fight a former ally… The cruelty…

The lady makes a solid point. Who’s down for killing possessed Zombie Regina? Anyone?

…I know a lot’s happened, but I finished my work on the Projector. Gather everyone in the research lab when you’re ready.

I will go get everyone.

*We immediately transition to the lab in the morning, with our entire party gathered together*

All right, I’m going to try to recover the memories now. I assume everyone is ready for this?

Grab some :munch: and settle in for a spell, because there’s about to be a metric ton of exposition dropped.

[Unit Leader]: We have to hit him with full spell power before he pins us! Commence the battle!

[Unit Member]: It’s no use! The medallion isn’t having any effect!

[Unit Leader]: Bah, all personnel withdraw! This city is done for!

[Unit Member]: Waaah!!!

Check out the cutscene: Darkness

Armada City’s defense team has gone silent.

An invasion from another world… I never imagined summoning spells might result in this.

Professor…

It’s as I thought. To stop more of them from coming, we need to completely sever any connection to the other world.

But that’s impossible so long as one summoning spell exists!

It… would be next to impossible to kill every summoner at this point.

You’re right… There’s only one thing we can do now.

Killing the few people who came up with summoning spells in the past will prevent this future?

It will be a small price to pay for saving the world. It’s too late for this one… but maybe we can still save the past.

But, Professor!

If Armada City is silent, that means this place will fall within the hour. We’re out of time!

Please… will you do it? You’re our only hope for survival…

Yes, Professor.

I’ll entrust this medallion to you. With the darkness as great as it is, we couldn’t contain it. But it will be smaller in the past. It will be much easier to seal then. Mankind’s future is in your hands. Thank you! And good luck!

*Akyel kills the two people*

That’s it for these summoners.

*sigh* How long has it been since we were sent back here?

…5,138 years…

And how many summoners have we killed? I’ve lost track…

Uriel…?

Tch. I can’t take it anymore, Akyel. I didn’t sign up for this.

It’s for their protection! If we don’t kill all the summoners, the humans will obtain the summoning spell. We can’t let that happen.

I don’t care! I don’t care. To have to kill them every single time… There must be a better way. I’ve made up my mind!

Uriel!?

I’m going to talk to them-- tell them why the summoning spell is so dangerous.

Maybe they won’t stop because they don’t know WHY we’re killing them. Just… give me five years. Five. I can convince them to stop in that time!

[Narrator Akyel]: …That was the last time I saw her.

[Narrator Akyel]: It was then that I learned of Uriel’s capture. But even so… I said I’d wait five years. So, I waited. I wanted to share her faith in humans. But instead of learning peace from her, they chose to study her and make even more weapons of death and destruction.

Wait… you’re not Uriel!

*Replica Uriel starts attacking Akyel*

Stop it! Stop! I will not allow you to further desecrate her!

*The screen goes white for a moment. When it fades, Replica Uriel is standing still*

[Narrator Akyel]: A violence burst forth from me that I did not know I had. All I wanted to do was kill every last human. So, I took control of the fake Uriel and started going after not only the summoners, but all spell users…

[Narrator Akyel]: Maybe the only way to truly save humanity… was to destroy it, once and for all…

Ah yes, the thought process that signals a shift to bugfuck insanity.

There’s more information in there, but it wasn’t projectable. I have it available as text, though. *groan* Well… I’m exhausted. I’m going to rest for a bit. If you’ll excuse me.

*Maggie heads over to her couch to sleep*

Oh, by the way, I also deciphered the Angel Letter you gave me. It’s in there, too.

Before we delve into the other information on the projector, let’s recap:

The “Angels” are actually Familiars from the far future. Steinman sent them back in time, because humans couldn’t survive the journey (or simply couldn’t make time travel work). Akyel and Uriel spent over 5,000 years killing anyone who got close to developing a summoning spell before Uriel finally had enough of the bloodshed. She tried to talk people out of it, but that didn’t go as planned and she ended up captured and experimented on.

Presumably, this happened about 2,000 years ago. There’s a good chance that Uriel’s capture is what led to the creation of Familiars. Of course, since the civilization from 2,000 years ago wasn’t nearly as advanced as the one from Steinman’s time, the Familiars that were developed were the small ones that we know (like Yuni).

For more details, let’s browse the information that Maggie could only get in text form.

Honestly, you guys probably should have tried the talking approach first. It’s a little hard to talk someone out of something when you’ve spent thousands of years killing them without explanation.

[History of Summoning Spells]: The Outer Gate is an anomaly that connects one world to another and allows for an unobstructed flow of energy. As this technique was practiced more often, it came to be better understood by its users. Stronger gates were formed over time, and with them, stronger monsters. Thus came into being the summoning spells seen today.

So somebody at some point in history discovered that they could rip a tiny hole in space-time into another world. They kept practicing and eventually they could open a hole big enough to pull a monster through. They then developed a spell from this that allowed people easily pull off a summon.

[Dangers of Summoning Spells]: However, after such a spell has been cast, the gate does not completely close. Thus, a small rift into the other world remains. Additionally, the time required for this rift to be sealed depends on the time in-between summoning spell usage. However, with more and more such spells being cast, it has been found that these rifts never seal.

[Dangers of Summoning Spells]: By this point, the Outer Gate anomalies were clearly visible to us. We are currently banning the usage of all summoning spells and are undergoing the process of sealing the gates. However, there seems to be some unknown force working against us, keeping the gates open.

Extra-dimensional littering got out of hand, basically.

[Erasing Summoning Gates]: A gate is established when a summoner forms a contract with a monster from another world. This gate will remain open so long as this contract exists. In other words, the existence of the summoners themselves maintains summoning gates. To completely eliminate these gates, every summoner that has formed a contract with a monster must be killed. Form there, a ban on summoning spells must be established for the rest of time.

As long as someone hasn’t summoned a monster, they’re good. But if they have summoned one, then the only way to seal the hole that was opened is to break the contract, by killing them.

Growlanser operates on DBZ rules of Time Travel. You can go back to the past and change things, but the world that you came from is still turbo-hosed. All you’ve done is create an alternate timeline where things are hopefully better.

[Access Psyche]: Specific methods include…

*Yuni has mastered Access Psyche*

Access Psyche is Yuni’s final ability. It’s an optional story ability that Yuni can only learn if all of her stats are at Level 5 or above (I think). I’ve never tested what happens if you read this when Yuni’s stats are too low. I don’t know if you can progress without it.

Akyel’s Memories are last on the list, but there are five sub-entries in it.

[Memory Akyel]: It has been a trying assignment, but I am all right. Uriel, however, may be reaching her breaking point. I must do something…

[Memory Akyel]: We two possess the knowledge to create a device capable of this. To create it would also mean Uriel and I would cease to exist. However, this is a sacrifice we would make happily to ensure humanity’s future. The bigger problem is getting humanity to understand and accept the elimination of spells.

[Memory Akyel]: Uriel left today. She begged me to give her five years to convince the humans to give up summoning spells peaceably. If she succeeds, we will have accomplished our goal: the elimination of spells and the security of humanity’s future. Our pain would finally be at an end…

[Memory Akyel]: I am tempted to end this foolishness at once, but not only would they use the gun on me and create another summoning gate, but I promised Uriel a little more time.

[Memory Akyel]: However, I learned that I could control that abominable copy and use it to attack them. I was able to program it to search for spell devices, too, so that I might destroy any it finds. How much longer must I continue on this path of wanton destruction?

And that’s it for Akyel’s memories. We also have a memory gem from Uriel, however, so let’s pop that in by selecting “Look at projector.” After that, we can select “Replay memories” to see Uriel’s. There’s only one.

I know you all hate me! And for good reason. But you must listen! We come from the future! And in the future--

[Soldier]: I tire of this story! Yours is only one possible future. It hasn’t been decided yet! Knowing what we know, we can make it so that that won’t happen.

You’re not listening to me!

[Soldier]: You’ve been killing us for too long for your words to have any meaning to us.

*The soldier turns to the researcher*

[Soldier]: Hey, how’s it going?

[Researcher]: From these tests, it looks like our theory is correct. If we just extract various components from her…

If we continue the use of summoning spells, mankind faces destruction.

These spells create gates into some other world, and these gates are growing larger and larger…

You came to this world from another, did you not, Leona?

That must be what happened! A big black hole opened up and I fell inside. That must have been one of those gates!

This explains the sudden increase in monsters, too… They’re coming in from all the summoning gates.

I never would have thought that a summoner’s gate wouldn’t fully close after the summon was done.

Apparently the naming conventions of the future are just as lame as they are in the media of our world.

I have no idea what that is, but if we can stop it from coming by stopping all summoning spells, we have to do it!

We’ll erase both summons and spells.

Yes, I think we have to do both. We won’t be able to resolve this without eliminating spells.

I remember hearing somewhere that spells are usable because of mana elements in the air. If we get rid of them, no one could use spells.

And that’s why summoners would need to be stopped, too. Otherwise, those elements would still flow in from the summoning gates…

Akyel was right about that in his memory: getting rid of spells seems to be the key to our salvation.

To eradicate all spells by getting rid of summoners…

It’ll hurt, but we don’t have a choice.

I agree. For the sake of our future, it has to be done.

This is so difficult…

Nah. We’ll just have Crevanille roam around Sword Dancing everywhere. That should clear them out pretty quick.

Mrow…

Craigslist?

If no one has any ideas, I think I’ll try asking Maggie. She knows a lot about spells and ancient tech.

She’s also right over there, in earshot of this entire conversation.

All right, then, I guess we’ll leave that to you and Maggie. What about eliminating this element in the air that’s the source of all spell power?

…I should probably just ask Maggie about that, too.

*sigh* What would we do without you, Remus?

Just happy to help!

She was almost certainly being sarcastic, Remus.

*Remus goes to ask Maggie to solve everything for us*

You know… now that I think about this, when we used the small spell-cannon before, didn’t a monster appear? If I’m remembering this right, opening a summoning gate is a key component in all spellcannons.

Why don’t we start with that?

I think that can wait till morning. But that said, looks like our objective is clear. Let’s get some rest for now.

Remus told me everything.

Just give me a little time, and I can make you some form of spell detector device.

I’ll leave the rest up to you.

Oh, man. That was a lot to take in, wasn—

Never mind. We aren’t done yet, apparently.

Is something wrong, Eliza?

It’s about Meline… Her condition is pretty bad. She won’t wake up. I called Deligne… Not sure what else I can do. I’ll have Levan look after her, but if you have some time, could you go see her, too?

Yes, of course.

Thanks, Crevanille.

Meline…

Much to my annoyance, we have to check on Meline before we can call this an update.

Now, uhh…

Damnit. I don’t remember what freaking room she’s in. The thread didn’t vote for her as a furlough option, so I never had to find her.

Don’t get smart with me, Hien. You know what we’re doing.

Where the hell…

Finally. …Hang on, wasn’t Carnos using this room? Or am I thinking of the room one floor down…? Actually, where the hell did Carnos go? We haven’t seen him since Kate got here.

[Deligne]: She’s been asleep most of the time, like you see now. When she is conscious, she’s too weak to get out of bed.

Meline…

[Deligne]: Her condition is somewhat baffling. Her pulse rate is markedly low, as is her body temperature. I’m not clear on how to proceed. I just can’t make sense of this.

This cannot be…

[Deligne]: I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to say that as if there weren’t hope. I’ll continue observing her, and I’m sure something will come to me in time.

Acknowledged….

Don’t stress yourself out over it, Deligne. I’m sure as hell not losing any sleep.

We’ll stop here, since this was a very dense update in terms of information. There’s a lot to process. Next time, we’ll head to sleep and then wake up near midnight in a panic because we forgot to tell anyone about what Vester was doing at Marquelay castle until the last possible second.

We’re not good at the whole “saving the world” thing.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 4, 2021

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Carnos moved into the castle and never shows up again. They ate him. Vallery takes over his room.

Also yeah, the plot of this game is just Magic instead of Science FF7, with a dash of time travel. It works much better as a result.

If you hang out with Meline during the Furlough, you get a scene with her talking about the projection device at the front door.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:munch: Well this is getting spicy!

quote:

Apparently the naming conventions of the future are just as lame as they are in the media of our world.

And who do you think taught the creators of our world's media those naming conventions :tinfoil:

MythosDragon posted:

Also yeah, the plot of this game is just Magic instead of Science FF7, with a dash of time travel. It works much better as a result.

Come now, it's just a very specific science that lets you burn grandma's soul so you can get on youtube that's problematic. Regular science, like fossil fuels, is perfectly ok in FFVII!

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Psycho Knight posted:

:stonk: Oh sweet Jesus, what the gently caress is that?!

...Apparently, one of the sex toy enemies. :cry:

Melomane Mallet fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 4, 2021

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Melomane Mallet posted:

...Apparently, one of the sex toy ememies. :cry:

thanks I hate it.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Melomane Mallet posted:

...Apparently, one of the sex toy enemies. :cry:

I regret ever jokingly asking for an answer.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Update 28: Spirit Science

On our way back to Crevanille’s room, after checking in on Meline, Yuni suddenly remembers something of extreme importance.

Marquelay is using summoning spells? Tonight there’s going to be a full moon!

Given that this information seems to be a complete surprise to Frayne, it appears as though Crevanille made absolutely no effort to tell the rest of the party about the fact that Vester has been skulking around Marquelay castle. We learned this, what, two days ago?

The first thing we have to do is stop that ceremony!

Given the urgency of the situation, you’d think we would go straight to Marquelay castle. You’d be wrong, of course. What we’re actually going to do is go to sleep and then set the alarm clock for 11:55pm.

I cannot stress enough how nonchalantly we are treating this. There is no reason at all why our heroes should have waited to go to Marquelay castle. This isn’t a situation where we need to sneak in under cover of night because the guards would never allow us to enter the castle or meet with the Princess. As far as Marquelay is concerned, No Angeles is a fortress city. Crevanille and the gang are essentially an entire branch of the military. Marquelay has an Army, a Navy, and a No Angeles.

No soldier, including Baker, would ever turn us away if we said we needed to urgently meet with the Princess.

And before you say something like “Well, maybe Vester told them that nobody is allowed to enter the castle until the ceremony is complete,” do you really think they would trust this strange man’s advice over the warnings of the local national heroes? I don’t think so.

Whenever you’re ready, Vester.

…The moon has reached a good position. We can start any time.

*The screen darkens a little bit and some text appears on screen*

[Narration? The group of summoners?]: Moonlight above us, Amongst all the stars…

Stop right there!

Wh-Why are you all here?

The use of the summoning spell will bring disaster upon the world.

”Sorry, we meant to tell you sooner but we ended up stopping by Tim’s on the way over here for a coffee and some donuts. We figured we had some time.” :v:

The world will be destroyed? Wh-What is the meaning of this? What do these spells have to do with any of that?

Monsters will invade from another world!

Wh-What? A monster invasion?

”Caused by summoning monsters?! Unbelievable!” :v:

Ungh… I was so close to finishing. For you to show up now… Your timing is annoyingly uncanny.

You’ll pay for Dixon’s death!

Also Giuseppe’s! :argh:

Tch, revenge? Is that really all that’s on your mind? How small you truly are.

That’s big talk coming from a limp dick like you. You going to man up and fight us this time, or are you going to run away again?

Hurry up and capture him!

Right! Get him!

A soldier moves to block Vester’s path, but gets immediately ganked. Vester then runs back towards the door, where another soldier intercepts him and takes a few swings.

Then Vester jumps out a window, which I personally didn’t realize was a window until just now. I thought that was just wall décor.

Hrgh… he got away!

[Marquelay Soldier]: If he fell from this height, though, he’d [sic] couldn’t have survived…

Sounds like fine logic to me. No need to go looking for him, I guess.

Also, I’d like to point out that our heroes did nothing to help with that. We all just stood there scratching our asses.

I think I need the full story. Would you mind filling me in?

Here’s what we know…

*Yuni explains*

This is truly terrifying news.

Heh, to think that the Angels were simply Familiars from the future… Amazing.

I admit, it’s going to take a lot of Sword Dances, but I think Crevanille’s up to the task.

We have to do this, no matter what.

He’s right, Christopher. The fate of both Marquelay and the world is at stake. You have my support. We, too, will assist you in whatever manner you need. Please do not hesitate to ask.

Challenging though it will be, you have my support, as well. I cannot let down the beautiful women of the world, after all.

Our job here is done, so everyone just starts milling about until we leave. We can chat with them for a little extra dialog before we go, though.

We always seem to be causing trouble for you. And despite that, there is little I can do to help… That vexes me a great deal.

How about some more tax breaks? Maybe a Lordship?

You fight not only for Marquelay, but for the safety of the entire world. You truly are heroes without equal.

All the generic NPCs talk about either Vester’s apparent death, the danger of summoning, or the fact that Crevanille would have literally killed them if they had completed the ceremony, which is a terrifying thought to them.

By the time we get out, it’s morning. Either we were in there for a loooong time, or Vester waited until 4am to do the ceremony for some weird reason.

Regardless, we should head back to the villa and get back to planning our inquisition against summoners.

Before leaving Marquelia, make sure to buff up. Thanks to save states the tingling of my Mission senses, I can tell that there’s a battle coming up.

*gasp* I can… *gasp* I can barely keep up…

We have to keep going! Don’t stop, Pamela!

Y-Yes, I… I understand…

Oh, for gently caress’s sake… How many times do we have to teach you this lesson, old man!? Stay the hell off our lawn! :argh:

Tch, you hyenas… Stand behind me!

*Pamela moves back*

Looks like we had more pursuers than I thought.

*The camera pans over to our party*

Th-That’s… Master, that’s Pamela and Magnus! They’re under attack!

*The camera then pans back over to Pamela and Magnus, except that there are now like twice as many enemies on the screen as there were before*

Crevanille! Huh… Déjà vu.

This does seem rather familiar. But things turned out pretty well the first time, right? Hey, think you guys can lend us a hand here? We’re, uh, a little outnumbered.

We got this.

We can always count on you!

More flies have joined the swarm… This changes nothing! Death comes for you!

So, yeah. This is nearly the same fight we just had with Skeletor a few days ago. He’s got Undead Knights, Lich, Petite Dragons, and we need to protect escort characters. We also start way the gently caress over on the opposite side of the field.

The same tactics largely apply to this mission. Melee units should pop Dash and start running full speed at Skeletor. At least one of your units should be kept back so as to get the Lich enemies off the field as soon as possible (with Holy, preferably).

All right. But don’t do anything reckless!

The only major difference is that you have to keep two escort characters healed this time instead of just one. Magnus will stand his ground and fight against the Death Wing Leader/Undead Knights, but Pamela will flee and attempt to reach the safety of No Angeles.

Pamela isn’t particularly sturdy, while Magnus will be getting wailed on by the Death Wing Leader (who has Double Strike) and the Undead Knights. This means that both of them are going to need constant healing. I would recommend sticking to Sacred Elixirs, since items can be used much more quickly than a Level 2+ healing spell.

The Lich will resort to their typical bullshit of trying to stick your party with High Cycle Down. If you have Magic Shell on, then you should have more than enough time to wipe them out while they are preoccupied with trying to cheat.

Get to Pamela as fast as you can, because she’s going to immediately start taking damage from the Dragon (who has a ranged attack) and the Undead Knights.

I would recommend popping a Protect Level 3 on both Pamela and Magnus as soon as you’ve dealt with the Lich. You will still need to keep them healed, but they will be able to survive at least a little longer with a Defence boost. Protect also doesn’t take very long to cast.

Once you’ve managed to secure Pamela, have Crevanille continue his advance while keeping at least one melee unit back. Trust me on this. In our case, Crevanille and Hien head up to assist Magnus while Vallery remains behind, close to Pamela.

Think I’ll start pulling back, too.

When Magnus says this, make sure that Pamela is fully healed. You may or may not be close to killing the Death Wing Leader, so it’s better to take some precautions.

After Pamela advances a little more…

Mwahaha… This looks like the right time.

These new monsters (Lesser Demons) will suddenly pop out and ambush Pamela. Two of them will appear near where she is currently standing, while another one will block her route to No Angeles. This is why you want to heal her up and keep a melee unit near her.

Killing… or I guess momentarily stopping, the Death Wing Leader does not end the mission. We still need to mop up the new creatures. Vallery deals with the two near Pamela while Frayne wipes out the one near No Angeles. They are weak to Holy, but be aware that they do have a natural chance of nullifying spells. Frayne has her first Holy Lv. 3 nulled, but her Spell Doubling kicks in and she immediately follows up with another cast that manages to get through.

Vallery has Reginleif equipped, so he just wipes the floor with his two targets.

As a note of caution, make sure you keep Pamela and Magnus healed throughout the entire mission. The Lesser Demon enemies are cheaters, just like the Lich, and can cast Joint Spells by themselves (such as Tornado). They also have a ranged physical attack. Pamela and Magnus are not in the clear until every single thing on this map is dead.

Seems like you’re constantly saving our bacon. We owe you a couple now!

Yes, you do. Pay us back by joining the team.

Just doing the right thing.

Haha, you really are something.

Are the two of you all right?

Yes, yes… We are fine now. If I look a bit peaked, it’s because I did so much running.

Believe it or not, we were being chased all the way from Valkania.

Why not join up with us?

:stare: Do it.

Also, I need to talk to Maggie as soon as I can. If it’s all right with you, Crevanille, I’d like to stay wherever you are…

Sounds good to me.

Oh, thank goodness. I can finally change out of these clothes, too.

Yes! That’s another one on board. What about you Magnus? You going to hang with the cool kids?

Master, may I suggest asking Pamela about Meline? She may know something Maggie and Deligne do not.

Hm, this Meline… wasn’t she one of Vester’s subordinates?

*Crevanille explains Meline’s situation to Pamela. There’s no fade transition, though*

You’re right, actually. What I’ve learned may be of some use to the poor girl. We should go see her at once!

*Everyone heads to the villa*

Well, just being here with you brings back memories, no? Don’t you agree, Master?

Y-Yes…

Is something the matter, Master? I pray I did nothing to offend you.

Other things that we’ve apparently never told people about : Hien’s memory loss. I should remind everyone that Hien was with us during a previous meeting with Magnus.

Please, if there is anything wrong, let me know so that I may rectify it!

I am afraid I owe you an apology. I have no memories of you.

It’s true, I was defeated once before, but that should reflect my inadequacies, not yours!

You misunderstand, Magnus. Hien lost his memory when he was poisoned by a Dulkheim soldier.

Poison? Dulkheim? C-Could it be that the man who did this had narrow eyes and was called Otter?

He did have narrow eyes, but his name was Cargill.

I see… It’s possible this man is who I seek and is simply using an alias…

*Maggie comes out*

Indeed, it’s been a little while now. I’m glad to see you again.

Same here, but we need to hold off on the reunion talk. I have something to ask you.

What’s wrong?

Do you remember the name Meline?

Huh? Well… of course. The little girl who was helping Vester, right?

No, that’s not quite it. Think further back, back when we were living in the village…

Erm…

There was the quiet, obedient sister, and then the boisterous and excitable sister.

Oh, Maggie… Why bring this up? You know everyone from the village is… is…

Maggie, why do you ask these questions? Is this related to our Meline somehow?

It’s still only a theory, but…

I sincerely hope not. User Melomane Mallet posted a screenshot of the Japanese companion book which explains that the creepy eyeball thing on Regina’s back that’s reanimating her is one of those purple dildo monsters from the Fandelcia ruins. Vester apparently jammed one of those things in Regina’s chest and that’s why she’s still shuffling around the mortal coil.

Huh? Regina? What are you talking about?

I better explain everything from the beginning…

*Maggie proceeds to explain poo poo as we go through a fade transition*

People being brought back from death… Amazing… and horrible. Thinking back to our time in the village… I think you’re right. This Meline looks too similar for it to be a coincidence.

I’d like you to look in on her, too, if you could, Pamela. She cannot seem to get out of bed.

All right, sure. Just leave it to me, Maggie. Crevanille, could you show her the way?

You mean show you the way? You’re the one that doesn’t know where Meline is.

Mmm…? Who are you? Are you a relative of Pamela’s? Ngh! No! I don’t know you! It’s your fault that I…!

Meline. Calm down. My name is Maggie, and I’m from next door. And this is Pamela.

Maggie…? From next door?

Hm. So you ARE the Meline we knew…

Are you really Maggie and Pamela? Why are you both so big?

Haha! Nope. Bad guys don’t follow through on their promises. It’s one of their critical weaknesses that leads to them being inevitably stabbed in the back by the person they assumed was their puppet.

Number 48: I will treat any beast which I control through magic or technology with respect and kindness. Thus if the control is ever broken, it will not immediately come after me for revenge.

Meline… Vester killed them both.

Wh-What…? No… You’re lying… H-He said he would bring back Mom and Dad. Like he brought me back to life…

Bring back!?

So, that’s what happened… Hmmm. She was supposed to be dead, but now she’s somehow alive again. I can see why she’d believe Vester.

So, he manipulated her memory and used her as a pawn? drat it…

What are you saying, Maggie? I don’t really understand. Vester said he’ll bring back Mom and Dad!

She’s saying that you’re a gullible idiot.

Of course you did.

“Spy”? What do you mean?

Vester said to pretend I was abandoned by him so that I could get information from you. I-I’m sorry… Are you upset with me?

Personally? You’d better believe it. What pisses me off the most is that it’s impossible to laugh off Vester’s incredibly obvious spy plan because going along with it and saving Meline is the only drat way for us to get on the Modified Route, where there are 3 recruitable party members and extra story content and new endings…

No, I’m not.

That’s g-- Ngh!

*Meline grabs her head again when Crevanille moves closer to her*

Crevanille, wait. It seems like you affect Meline as you move closer to her.

That reminds me… Something similar happened before this, too. When Master moved closer to Meline, her head started to hurt. That wasn’t the case when we first met, though…

Hm. Crevanille? Any ideas?

At this point we need to open our Key Items inventory. There’s been one major change between our previous meetings with Meline and this one: We killed Akyel.

Remember, Professor Steinman gave Akyel and Uriel a medallion that can push back against the darkness.

This… A medallion?

We saw this being used during the playback of the Angel’s memory…

The Angel’s memory… Crevanille, I’m going to hold on to this for a little while. It may contain some clues.

*We hand over the half of the medallion*

Uhhh… What happened? I-I’m really scared…

It’s okay, Meline. I’m sorry I asked such a troubling question. You should get some rest. You will feel better afterward.

Pamela… Sleep is where I can see Mama and Papa… I hope that happens.

*Meline falls back onto the bed*

[Deligne]: It looks like she’s asleep.

This seems an odd occurrence.

Corpses don’t tend to age, Yuni. Not in a growth sense, anyway.

You’re right, we need to examine her. Help us out with that, Deligne.

Crevanille, we could use some privacy. Would you mind waiting outside?

*Everyone except Maggie, Pamela, and Deligne, leaves the room*

But, if they’re all alive now… then surely Antonio…!

Oh… :smith:

Vester… What the hell is he?

Whatever else he is, I know this: he’s a dirtbag. Telling a little girl that he’ll revive her parents just to make her serve him! Awful.

It only makes sense that she’d believe him after being revived herself, right? Has he been working toward this for the entire fifteen years since the destruction of Maggie’s village?

I’ll never forgive Vester.

We were already not going to forgive him. I just wanted Crevanille to restate that. His rear end will be ours one day. He can only run for so long.

Me either. Using her feelings like that…

We fade out for a little bit, during which time everyone migrates around the corner.

Well, we have a conclusion.

Maggie, Meline… It’s like I said…

This is a translation screw up, in case you were wondering what the hell Frayne is talking about.

In the Japanese version, Maggie says “待たせたな。……結果が出ました。” (“Sorry to keep you waiting. …I got the results.”). Frayne then responds with “マギーさん、メリーヌちゃんはやっぱり。。。”, which is more like “Maggie, is Meline what you…” Basically, Frayne is nervously asking if the results matched up with what Maggie expected or thought (that this Meline is the same one from their village, who was killed and then brought back to life).

”It’s like I said” is not too far off a translation, but within the context of this conversation it’s total nonsense, since Frayne hasn’t “said” anything and Maggie hasn’t actually explained the results yet. Maggie and Pamela are the ones who explained the theory behind what happened. The only thing Frayne has done recently is question Vester’s motives and agree with Eliza.

Just as expected, that girl was once a fellow villager of ours. And she was dead. It was Vester’s power that kept her alive in that form. Pamela, could you explain?

There was an explanation for the Outer Gate spell you saw in the Angel’s memory. Do you remember it?

It was in the last update, so yes. We do. But please, don’t let that stop you from explaining it to us anyway.

Yes, fully.

It was the source of all summon spells, right? It opens a gate into another world, calling over mana.

Yes, precisely. And that “gate” to another world? It exists within Meline’s heart. In short, this otherworldly mana is controlling Meline’s body, and is what keeps her alive. Right, Deligne?

Slightly different wording here in Japanese. She says “つまりメリーヌちゃんの身体を動かしているのは異界の魔素自身…そうよね、ディライン。” (In short, it is the demons in the other world who are moving Meline’s body… Isn’t that right, Deligne.”) So, the Japanese version explains it more along the lines of “The mana/demons/other world gate have control over Meline’s body through their powering of her blood circulation.” This is important, because:

[Deligne]: …Other than that, she’s pretty healthy! And if the interference from the mana disappears, her heart should take over again and return her to normal.

What is happening to Meline is different than what is happening to Regina. In Meline’s case, all her organs are still functional (maybe she died of smoke inhalation or something?), but the Outer Gate/mana/demon energy/whatever has restricted her heart and is substituting it. If the gate is closed, then Meline’s heart will be able to take over again, since it still works.

In Regina’s case, Vester blasted her heart straight out of her chest. Strapping in a magic pacemaker isn’t going to fix a missing organ, so Vester is using one of those purple dildo monsters as a total replacement. If we remove the demon/monster from Regina, then she’s just stone cold dead, because she doesn’t have a heart that can take over.

[Deligne]: Though, since I’ve obviously never seen anything like THIS, I can’t say for certain.

You are saying that if we can close the gate, then we will save Meline?

Yes. Maybe. Her current weakness, her murky memory, and Crevanille’s medallion all seem to combine to stem the interference. This seems to be why she can remember me and Maggie. If we completely close the gate, Meline should return to the girl she was before.

”The girl she was before.” I know what you’re doing, game. You can’t make me stop hating her just by explaining away her current personality as partial mind control. :colbert:

How can we close the gate?

Our only real option is to form a direct spiritual link. We could do that with the Access Psyche ability. Familiars have access to this. Is that something you can use, little one?

Affirmative.

We’re counting on you.

Maggie, could you stop referring to Yuni as “little one”? It sounds really condescending. We don’t refer to you as “code monkey” or “Tinker Tina.”

Are you up to it, Crevanille?

Wait, what’s going on now? I was distracted.

I’ll do my best.

What are we agreeing to?

I’m counting on you.

*We get the Right Half of the medallion back*

Oh, and Crevanille? Could you come to my room for a moment before we use Access Psyche? I have something that may be of use in the process.

*Maggie leaves down the stairs*

Okay, I’m going to get ready. Let me know when you are done talking to Maggie and have finished your own preparations.

*Pamela and Deligne go back into Meline’s room*

Our party rejoins us and we’re tasked with going to talk to Maggie, who went all the way back to her lab.

Take this.

*Cross Stone obtained*

This stone is quite distinctive. It is shaped like a cross.

It was important to Meline and Cynthia back when they lived in the village-- a treasure of sorts. I read that Access Psyche works better if you have something that the target remembers. Also, the Cross Stone itself seems to contain traces of spell power. It should be helpful.

Acknowledged. How did you acquire this, Maggie?

I found it in the village back when I was still searching for survivors. I honestly never believed that I would meet anyone from the village ever again, let alone like this.

Please don’t let this be a FFVIII situation where it turns out 70% of the cast is actually from the same village and just loving forgot about it because of fantasy drug abuse.

Before you enter Meline’s room again, make sure you buff up Crevanille. He doesn’t need the full slate, but Cycle Up, Protect, and Attack would be good options.

Ready.

Crevanille, it looks like we’re all set. I will explain what to do now. First, we use Access Psyche on Meline to enter her body. Once inside, we have to find what is causing the gate to remain open.

What do you mean, “remain open”?

Basically, gates shrink over time.

If we can remove whatever is doing that, then the gate should close naturally and easily.

A cause… What do you advise that we search for?

I have no idea, I’m afraid, but the medallion should react to it. See, the medallion has the ability to restrict darkness and force it into a form that you can deal with. When you see this reaction taking place, you’ll know it’s time to strike.

Correct. You should also be wary of any potential traps.

*Maggie gets a little exclamation point over her head*

Hm? Crevanille, Where [sic] did you get that Cross Stone from?

The sic is because of the capitalized “Where” after a comma.

Maggie gave this to us. She said it was one of Meline’s “treasures.”

Ah. Yes, I do recall Maggie holding on to that. The stone had been something Maggie gave to Meline and Cynthia back when we were kids. Both of them treasured it dearly. It should indeed improve Access Psyche’s effect. Please, Crevanille. Help Meline.

Well, let’s do this… I guess. Not personally happy about it, but this is an LP for the people, not for me.

So, despite all that talk of “we”, Crevanille is doing this solo. That’s why I suggested buffing him in advance.

One of these days, I really should get around to teaching Crevanille the other buff spells.

Mmm, okay. I’ll give you some later, too! Hee hee, I wonder if they’ll surprise Mama and Papa? I can put them in Maggie’s room, too!

*Meline then crosses the little bridge and heads off screen*

Was that Meline? Who was she talking to? Let’s follow her. We might find some clues!

Oh, wait! That was supposed to be a secret! Pamela, don’t tell anyone! I want to surprise Cynthia!

She’s stopping where there’s nothing… again.

I’m going to take Crevanille there one of these days, too. Then I can be like the big sister!

*Meline heads around the broken pillar to the right and then up north*

Doesn’t she see the ruined village?

She doesn’t want to…

That means it is on purpose? How painful…

Hell if I know, Yuni. I’m just assuming she’s mentally repressing the trauma. The alternative is that she really does see the village as being intact and this is just a way for the developers to skip having to draw up alternate background art.

It appears Meline has gone that way. Let us hurry, Master.

Master, let’s go inside.

This is the same place where the spooky ghost man gave us the “The Use of Spells” book, but that guy had a different sprite than Meline’s fake-dad. I assume that means that spooky ghost man was a different person and was simply haunting Meline’s house… for some weird reason.

Hee hee, do you think so? I was just thinking the same thing! Give them to Mama secretly, okay?

Huh? Yes, you’re right. Haha, I love you so much, Mama! I wish Cynthia would come home… What a waste, when you’re both here!

Meline…

Huh? Do we have a guest? Papa… Okay, sure. Got it!

*Meline turns back to us*

Hey, who are you? Can I help you with something?

Let’s go home, Meline.

We got poo poo to do. Hurry up and say goodbye to your extremely fake mom and dad.

What are you saying? I’m already home!

*Meline’s fake parents then suddenly get the spell charging animation around them*

The Key Items menu automatically pops up. We need to use the Right Half again.

*The screen flashes*

Now what!?

I’m not doing up a unique portrait for this. I’ll just lazily colourize Vester’s existing portrait sprite, like the developers did.

Eliminate intruders. Prioritize protection of gate.

Meline, stay back. The gate will close if you die.

Okay, Papa! I can do that.

You’re a good girl, Meline. I’ll bake you a pie later.

How dare he use Meline’s love for her family against her. Master, we have to destroy him!

It’s just not as satisfying as the real deal… but hey, beggars can’t be choosers. This will at least make for some practice.

The goal is to kill both of the Vester Illusions. They are only level 40 and are not especially strong, but Crevanille will be on his own and the Vester Illusions can attack twice in a turn, so getting stunlocked is a possibility.

Not that that is a problem for our Crevanille, who went into this fight without any buffs and at half health and still mopped the floor with these husks. Hah!

…I may have forgotten there was a fight here and unintentionally did absolutely no preparation.

Yuni briefly breaking the fourth wall, here.

Jokes aside, this was likely a translator moving too quickly through the text. In Japanese, Yuni says “やりました!これでゲートが... ...” (“We did it! Now this gate should…”) “Game” and “Gate” in Katakana are very similar (as they are in English, as well). Game = “ゲーム”, Gate = “ゲート”.

Your resistance is futile. As long as this place is connected to the netherworld, my spell will remain.

*The Vester Illusions reappear*

He’s revived!? Now how are we supposed to close the gate?

As fun as it would be to work off some pent up frustration by repeatedly killing these Vester copies, I don’t want to spend any more time around Meline than the thread deems necessary. So…

Master!?

Gah! Wh-What is this power!?

*The screen goes white*

Gwooohhhhhh!!!

*The screen blacks out for a moment, before it fades back in to reveal the ruined village*

Huh? What happened…? Where’s Mama and Papa? And the village, why is it all…?

Vester, Vester, and Vester. In that order.

Meline… that was just an illusion Vester made you see. This is reality.

No! That’s a lie! Mama and Papa were smiling just a second ago! And the village wasn’t like this! You took it away, Crevanille! Give it back, give it back! Now!

It was Vester’s doing.

What? That’s a lie!

I think you already know, Meline… It’s Vester who took everything from you.

…..

Let’s go home, Meline. You’re free from him now. You can live normally again…

No.

What?

*Meline runs outside the ruined house*

There are people waiting for you.

People… waiting for me…?

Yes… There’s everyone at Eliza’s villa waiting for you to wake up. And…

At this point, we need to walk up to Meline and use the Cross Stone we got from Maggie.

*We give the Cross Stone to Meline*

Oh…! I thought I lost this! How did you find it!?

You remember Maggie, don’t you? She’s held on to it since the day you went away…

Maggie…? She’s alive?

Yes. Pamela, too.

That’s right.

Survivors other than Cynthia and me! ….. All right… I’ll go back. I need to thank Maggie! I can’t believe she had my treasure with her all this time!

That’s a good idea.

*There’s a sound from somewhere*

Huh!? What’s that sound?

I think that’s your body waking up, Meline. Master, we should undo the spell and return to reality, as well.

Oh… Wait! Please!

I’ll be waiting for you.

We’re not going anywhere, Meline. Calm down. We’re just getting out of your head before everything collapses or whatever the hell Inception thing happens to a dream when the sleeping person wakes up.

Yay, that’s all I want! I’ll come back no matter what!

I’m glad you’re awake. Did you deactivate the gate?

Yes? :shrug:

Obviously.

Hah, of course. No reason to suspect you would ever fail.

Ohhhhhh….. Uhhh… Where’s Crevanille…?

Ah! Meline’s awake!

Are you okay? Can you move?

I-I can move… It’s weird. I can feel my heart racing…

*Crevanille moves aside so that Deligne can check Meline*

[Deligne]: That means your heart is in tip-top shape! What a relief. It’s likely that the other symptoms will subside, too.

Thank goodness, Meline.

Maggie! Am I back to normal!?

Yup, of course! Let me check real quick to make sure your gate is really shut.

*We fade out for a moment*

What a relief. …Wait a minute. What if-- The gate we closed, isn’t it also used in summoning? So, if that’s the case…

You’re right. The method we used to close this gate should work to stop spell summoning in other people, too. Of course, it goes without saying that closing someone’s gate will be physically stressful, so it’ll be easier on healthy individuals.

I feel like we’ve learned a lot here.

This should be good for us. Knowing th-- Huh?

No kidding. You’re drenched in sweat. Here, sit down.

What? Nah. We’re totally okay.

Oh, never mind.

Crevanille!?

Oh, this isn’t good at all. Carry Crevanille to his room. He needs to rest.

Our hero passing out on the floor seems like a good place to end an update. We’ll pick this up again next time, when we will finally end this story mandated Meline episode and turn our attention back towards stuff that matters, like the big scary spell cannon that Valkania has.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I don't remember any of the script oddities you've pointed out in this section, guess I wasn't paying any more attention than the localizers were. Ooops.

Magnus and his sidburns have one again escaped :saddowns:

I suppose one excuse for waiting until the last possible second to warn everybody about Vester is that we've seen Alice's acting ability and don't trust her to not get all of her men killed in an act of defiance if he shows up early.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Horrible thought I have to share: it's zombie dad under the death leader helmet.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Can we recruit that one guard who managed to parry vester? He is a badass.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Ardeem posted:

I don't remember any of the script oddities you've pointed out in this section, guess I wasn't paying any more attention than the localizers were. Ooops.

I haven't been scrutinizing this game a lot so far, so maybe there are more discrepancies. This one was obvious because it was amusing, while the Frayne one stopped me because I couldn't make sense of it.

There's actually more in the next update, although I don't think I would have noticed them if it weren't for these.

Omobono posted:

Horrible thought I have to share: it's zombie dad under the death leader helmet.

You would think so, considering that Vester revived Regina. Seems kind of weird for him to pass on Dixon, who was likely much stronger.

JamMasterJim posted:

Can we recruit that one guard who managed to parry vester? He is a badass.

No, never again. We all know what happened to Kevin. We can’t risk any more generic NPCs joining our team, lest they meet the same fate.

He was 100% badass, that is fact, but that's even more reason to not endanger him.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Psycho Knight posted:

You would think so, considering that Vester revived Regina. Seems kind of weird for him to pass on Dixon, who was likely much stronger.

Vester seems to type he recruits. :pedo:

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

And this probably explains the age of 12 in the cool book. Kinda.
I dont think she was 12, 15 years ago. That would make her the exact same age as Pamela, which isnt right.
Nor do I think she hasnt grown an inch considering the D cups.
But Being dead definitely does something to your growth process, and age is a wonky thing at that point, so they just threw darts!
It's like Time Compression! Do they age the outside time of 1 day? Do they age the inside of 1 year? gently caress you, we're not addressing it!
Most things I've seen address it say the outside time though, but they're all chinese or korean novels with things like immortals and casual world traveling to planets with 20 time speed and junk.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

MythosDragon posted:

And this probably explains the age of 12 in the cool book. Kinda.
I dont think she was 12, 15 years ago. That would make her the exact same age as Pamela, which isnt right.

I do think this *is* right: 15 years ago, Pamela* and Maggie would have been 12. Maggie gave Meline and Cynthia that cross stone because they were friends, and people tend to become friends because they are around the same age. So their ages do make sense to me, it's just 15 years of not aging due to being technically dead and all.

*Ruin child, etc.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

What I don’t understand in regards to the Meline/Cynthia thing is why they are still "12".

We don't know when Vester revived them, but you would think that he did it shortly after attacking the village. I doubt he came back 10 years later and said "Now, which of these bone piles would make for good lackys." But if he did revive them right after the attack, then why haven't they aged?

Unlike Regina, Meline and Cynthia's bodies are perfectly healthy. If blood is flowing and organs are working, then they should have been aging normally all this time since their biological processes are fully functional.

Maybe Vester is slowing or stopping the aging process with Magic, but why would he do that? A 12-year old is not as combat/mentally effective as a 20-year old.

Either Vester only revived these two a short time ago, or...

Ardeem posted:

this.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ardeem posted:

:allbuttons:

Yup, checks out. Piledrive him into the other side of the planet thanks.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Update 29: Let's blow something up, yeah!

Last time we entered the mind of a 14 totally 18-year old ~wink~ girl and Ghostbuster’d some Vester Illusions using magic angel powers.

Then Crevanille dropped like a bag of bricks. Which brings us here! Fun stuff.

Ah! Everyone, Crevanille is awake!

Crevanille, do you remember passing out after helping to fix Meline? It looks like using your Angelic essence puts a good deal of strain on you.

Bryntir mentioned this. Human bodies cannot easily withstand the release of Angelic essence. It takes a huge physical toll.

This is another mistranslation that may confuse people. Angelic essence is not needed for the summoning spell. If it was, then Vester and everyone he’s taught the summoning spell to wouldn’t be able to do anything with it. The characters will mention in a few seconds that Crevanille is the only person left with Angelic essence.

In the Japanese version, Pamela says “召喚術の解約にも天使の因子が必要だわ” which means “You also need an angelic factor to cancel the summoning technique.”

I wish I could help you, but…

I looked into this while you were still out. I’m afraid the only person left with Angelic essence is you, Crevanille.

See?

When fighting with the Angel, Bryntir took Frayne’s Angelic essence, right? And then, at the end, he entrusted you with both his and her essence. So, all the divided essences have been combined into you.

I’m so sorry, Crevanille. I never meant for any of this to happen to you.

Pretty sure Bryntir was the one that made the executive decision on that, Frayne. You didn’t really get a choice in the matter.

Of course, knowing how he did it wouldn’t really change much. One way or another, Crevanille is stuck with this burden now. You should take it easy for the rest of today, Crevanille.

Call me should you need anything. Take care.

*Frayne, Maggie, and Pamela leave. Meline starts to, but then turns around and comes back*

Crevanille… Are you still in pain?

I’m okay now.

Is that true? I’m glad to hear it.

I am pleased to see Meline being considerate of Master’s effort.

Oh… I-Is that…? My mind was so clouded up till now, I never questioned my words or actions! Since my mind was cleared by Crevanille, I’ve been able to understand more clearly. Being respectful, acting with courtesy… Crevanille always treated ME that way. God, I’m still avoiding saying this:

You’re welcome.

I still hate you, though.

Hah! I was finally able to say it! Crevanille, in every sense, you’re my big brother. It’s you who taught me the important things in life. ….. Please take care of yourself!

*Meline heads to the door, then turns around*

I’m going to wish upon the stars for your safety!

*Meline leaves. We then fade out because it’s time for a war update*

Ordinale has apparently been kicking all kinds of rear end since the last time we checked in.

[Narration]: The Valkania Army had been pushed back by Lord Ordinale’s forces, but with the help of the spellcannon, they were able to back Dulkheim into a corner. One shot from the cannon wiped out the whole of Dulkheim’s summoner unit, causing them to scatter. Presently, the Dulkheim Army has regrouped under orders from President Ludwig and is getting ready for a decisive battle. Meanwhile, with the Valkanians pushed back all the way to their capital of Kilgrid, Lord Ordinale is using the opportunity to establish a new battlefront along the western border of Fort Baltrick.

*The next scene opens with a text box establishing this as being several days after the summoning ceremony that we interrupted*

No sign? That’s… odd. What could that mean?

[Ordinale Captain]: We thought they may be waiting in ambush, but a search of the forest also revealed nothing…

I don’t like this. Something is off. Halt the march! Everybody withdraw!

[Ordinale Captain]: Sir!

Check out the cutscene: Warning Shot

Well, there goes… whatever the hell that town was. Actually, it was probably an encampment. Either way, it’s gone.

[Summoner]: We can’t fire the cannon over and over, but so long as we have it, we’ll never lose. When it is ready once more, we will hit Ordinale, then demand their surrender!

Truly courageous of you.

[Summoner]: How dare you! Even if you control Regina, you can’t speak to us that way!

Tch, and why not? You wouldn’t be in the position you’re in without the cannon. I suggest you mind your place.

To be fair, they wouldn’t have needed the cannon if it weren’t for you being a magical arms dealer for all sides of the conflict.

[Summoner]: Hngh…

In any case, until the spell energy required charges up, do try not to lose it.

Of course, Vester.

When the cannon reaches full charge, we’ll find ourselves at a crossroads. Things will end in short order. That is, unless there are… interruptions.

If? Please, you know drat well we’ll be interrupting.

Correct. We will settle things conclusively now.

P-Please reconsider your decision! You will be killing many innocent civilians in the attack!

The only casualties I will consider are those among my own men. If it takes the sacrifice of innocents in Ordinale to bring an end to the fighting, so be it.

Y-You could at least serve notice to the people of Ordinale, then. That would at least give them time to evacuate… The psychological damage should still be enough…

…… Very well, consider it done.

Let us arrange for a messenger immediately.

Sweet. That will give us all the time we need to destroy it.

When we wake up, we’re forced to go downstairs to meet with a messenger from Marquelay. We can’t even use the dollhouse or save. So, let’s get to it.

*Spell Detector obtained*

It might be easier to just show you how it works instead of explaining it.

*The menu automatically opens so we can select the Spell Detector to use*

Th-This is a rather large reaction. There must be a great number of people at that fort.

I was surprised when I tested it, too, but I believe it more likely to be a giant spell weapon rather than a group of summoners.

That can only be the spellcannon. So, Fort Baltrick is where they’ve located it…

Agreed. What we need next, then, is the Spell Nullifier. If you come across anything that might help me with that, please give it to me. The Spellcannon Plans you found before were quite useful! Now what we’ll need is a power source. I’m counting on you.

*Maggie walks down the hall, while Magnus approaches from the little waiting room to the left*

:stare: Join us…

What is your reason for this request?

The man who stole my master’s memory… I believe it to be Cargill. Or at the very least, he is connected to Cargill. And if he targeted Hien once, it’s possible he may show up again somewhere down the line.

I don’t know about that. We’ve given him some pretty good beatings. I’d assume he’s learned to give us a very wide berth, seeing as how there’s been no sign of him lately.

Why are you after him?

…He beat me once. Long ago.

And I managed to corner him, but he pulled a dirty trick with a concealed weapon and beat me. The weapon he used had a poison tip, too, and I ended up on the brink of death for several days. Though I survived, it did not change the fact that I failed my mission. The only way I will be able to wash away the stain of that defeat will be to find him… and kill him.

Revenge, huh? I think you’ll fit in just fine with us.

I see. You want to explore the possibility that the man who poisoned Hien is the same who poisoned you.

Exactly! That is why I wish to join you. I am uncertain what your goals are, exactly, but if my master if [sic] traveling with you, then I know they must be honorable. If I can wield my sword and know that the cause is righteous, then I would join without hesitation!

Can’t guarantee the righteousness part, but let’s forget about that for now. You’re in!

I welcome a man of your skill!

Excellent! I look forward to fighting alongside you!

*Magnus joined the party!*

As mentioned previously, Magnus is a PSP-exclusive character. As such, he only joins your party if you’re on the modified route.

Magnus is a pure melee fighter. He has high HP, Attack, and solid Defence. His weaknesses are mostly with ATW and spells. Even if we master Quick Attack, I believe his ATW will still be worse than Crevanille’s and Hien’s. That said, he beats out Hien on basically every other stat except for MOV and MP. His first Limit Ability is Battle Passion, which is functionally identical to Vallery’s “Bless” (kill two enemies in quick succession and it will activate Level 3 Atk/Protect Up).

Unfortunately, he also comes to us slightly underleveled. I think. There’s also a very good chance that we are simply overleveled.

We just had a party vote not too long ago, so I won’t do another one right now. By the time the next Furlough happens (at the end of this update, actually), we’ll have picked up two more party members, so it’s better if we wait until then to give Magnus a shot at a spot.

Before we check in with the messenger, we head to Maggie’s lab. Kate is hanging out in there, which is strange for her. That must mean that she has something for us.

[Kate]: Everybody, listen! I’ve finally finished the spellstone! Maggie helped, so it went faster than I expected. Please, take it.

*We obtain the Master Materia… sorry, I meant the Materia Master. It’s totally different than the ones from FFVII*

[Kate]: It turns out I didn’t have enough materials to make more than one. Might it be possible for you guys to find a way to duplicate it?

Already covered. Don’t worry, Kate.

[Kate]: Well, whatever. I guess I’ll return to my room. See you later.

*Kate starts to leave, but stops at the door*

[Kate]: Huh… it occurs to me that I’ve forgotten something important! That spellstone will teach you Blast, yes, but it has four other combinations, too!

This is the good poo poo, right here.

[Kate]: It doesn’t matter what you use; its destructive power is fantastic. That’s why I thought you might find it useful. Please use it wisely!

*Kate leaves*

We now have the means to learn Blast. Blast is the most powerful single target spell in the game. As seen above, it also combines with elemental spells to create Joint Spells. It’s a good idea to teach this to your spellcasters as soon as you can.

*The messenger leaves*

Hrm. I wonder what’s up.

We’d better go find out. The party will rejoin us and we’ll be able to save again, which I would recommend after everything that just happened. After that, we head for the castle.

Specifically, the forces being led by my brother were struck by the Valkanian spellcannon. Their decision to take the west route to avoid fighting in Rebrant backfired terribly.

What do you mean, backfired?

If they had gone directly toward Rebrant, they likely wouldn’t have been targeted by the cannon. The chances of hitting their own people would have been too great. What this all means is that before the capital can be reached, Fort Baltrick must be taken and their spellcannon destroyed. Truth be told, Ordinale itself is being targeted next.

That brings us to you. We would like you to destroy the spell-cannon and eliminate that threat.

Alfonse’s forces will attack from the west to draw out the enemy. You will then approach in secret from the east.

Let’s blow something up, yeah!

Yeah! :woop:

Your enthusiasm is appreciated. Thank you, Crevanille.

If you head north from Kaufman Waterfall, you reach Fort Baltrick. Rebrant is on the way, but you can ignore it for now. Your mission is to destroy the spellcannon situated atop Mt. Baltrick.

Good luck, everyone.

Let’s go blow something up!

But first, do you have anything to add to this, Baker?

Weird. Usually he at least offers some words of encouragement. Oh well.

To start our journey, we need to head to Kaufman. The entrance is still destroyed, so don’t bother checking. Just turn around and make your way back to the intersection where Alfonse was positioned that one time.

There are a random assortment of enemies in the area, but none that you should be going out of your way to kill, unless you feel like you need to grind a few levels.

Keep going north until you spot some Ordinale soldiers camped out near a ledge. Beyond here, we’ll be fighting Valkanians again, so be prepared for a steep drop in exp.

The good news is that this area is fairly open. You should be able to slip past the Valkanian soldiers if you don’t feel like slaughtering them.

I kill every living thing on this road, of course, because I’m trying to get Frayne to level up the Blast spell.

The spell that will let us do stuff like Earthquake…

Thunderstorm, which summons giant spectral lightning dragons, and…

Meteor!

Which opens loving warp gates in the asteroid field and then drops them from low-Earth orbit to annihilate an entire peninsula in an attack that seems a hell of a lot more effective than a slow and immobile spellcannon.

You know, just in case you thought calling an orbital laser strike from the moon wasn’t ridiculous enough.

I’ll try and put together a compilation of all these super spells when I get the chance. Some of these animations are super cool, if incredibly low resolution.

Staying on the road will eventually lead us to this weird intersection. To the upper right is Rebrant, which Chris told us to ignore.

Of course, we’re not actually going to listen to Chris. This is our first time here. We’re not missing out on new shopping opportunities.

There’s enough spell energy here for a Transgate. Shall I set one up?

Yes.

When we approach the entrance to Rebrant, Yuni will stop us to offer setting up a Transgate. That’s another point added to our Fast Travel Nework. After that’s done, we head on inside.

Rebrant is the town where Vallery and Muntzer were stationed at one point. We saw a vision of the two of them having a chat here, shortly before we nearly sent Muntzer to the grave.

Marquelian soldiers are occupying the town. Most of the local citizens are ambivalent about this. As with Iglesias, most people don’t care who is in charge as long as their personal lives aren’t being threatened or impacted.

Others are just assholes who hate us for invading them or killing their friends in the Valkanian Army, completely unaware of their blatant hypocrisy. I shouldn’t need to remind anyone that Valkania were the ones that stabbed Marquelay in the back, tried to rob them blind, then declared war when that little plan fell through.

Then again, the messaging from King Valkania about this war was likely “Marquelay betrayed us! They attacked our poor soldiers who were sent there to help! We have no choice but to declare war!”

There’s not a lot to see or do in Rebrant. The armour shop in the second half of town has new duds for us. Hien, Crevanille, and Vallery get Brave Guard. I sell their old armours and pick up an Enhanced Garb for Frayne. Adaptive Suit is a unique armour for Frayne that costs roughly the same, but it only offers a Defence bump of 16. The only reason to get it instead of Enhanced Garb is if your Frayne doesn’t have the strength for Enhanced Garb.

Mermaid Dress is for Eliza and Infinity Ribbon is for Leona. Neither of them is in the party right now, though, so I pass on those. I’ll come back if either of them gets voted back in next time.

Spellstones are nothing special. Meditation +3 might be worth it for the MP Regenerate ability it teaches. Our Frayne has mastered most spells at this point, which reduces their cost, so MP Regen is not super useful. I may teach it to her anyway at some point, though. Not like it could hurt.

Other than that, this shop also has ARP Up. ARP Up will double the number of Active Role Points obtained. Yes, you could use this on Crevanille to have him pop Sword Dance much more quickly and easily. I don’t think it’s worth an entire Ring Slot, though. Nonetheless, this stone is still good for skill leveling.

Past the item and armour shops, we find that the other road out of town is blocked. Presumably this road leads towards Kilgrid, so it’s doubtful we’ll see beyond this point any time soon (if at all).

The only item I could find laying around was an Elixir Vitae, tucked between these boxes on the upper level near the entrance. Not a bad find.

To give you an idea of where we are, here’s the world map at the local Inn. Rebrant is that white circle surrounded by orange. The red dot to the north of that is Kilgrid, the capital of Valkania. The blue dot to the left is Mt. Baltrick, our next destination.

Once your preparations are finished (and you’ve rested/saved at the Inn), leave Rebrant and head left of the sign, towards Mt. Baltrick. We’ve got some hill climbing to do.

There are some dragons and wolves along the way. You can avoid some of them, but there are two sets of stairs about halfway up this screen where you will almost assuredly be forced into a fight.

After transitioning to the next screen and moving a few steps, the camera will pan up to these Marquelian soldiers.

[Marquelay Captain]: All right, well done! Damage report!

[Marquelay Soldier #1]: W-Well… we’re the only ones left…

[Marquelay Captain]: What!? We can’t invade a fort with these kinds of numbers. It’d be suicide!

[Marquelay Soldier #1]: We’ll need to get reinforcements sent to us from Rebrant.

[Marquelay Captain]: Hrgh… Lord Ordinale was seen fighting inside the fort, but we can’t help him like this…

Wasn’t he supposed to be attacking from the west?

Whatever. From what we’ve seen of Alfonse, he seems to have a nasty habit of trying to do everything at once, so this shouldn’t be too surprising.

Head up to where those soldiers are and continue left. There’s a battle coming up, so buff up if you feel like it, but it won’t be difficult at all. You may want to save your MP for what’s beyond that fight.

[Valkanian Captain]: Ordinale never gives up, do they!? No matter how many times you come, the outcome will be the same. You won’t capture this fort!

You wish we were Ordinale. You might have had a chance, then.

Our task is to clear this handful of soldiers from the entrance. There’s really nothing to say about this battle. Two heavy soldiers, a captain, and two archers is nothing for us at this point. We fight random mobs of Valkanian soldiers with greater numbers than that.

Hell, I was grinding skill points off-screen a while back in order to teach Crevanille HP Regenerate and killed about 60 Dulkheim soldiers at that infinite spawn border checkpoint before I got bored and left. Yuni actually starts reminding you that you can’t break through the checkpoint after about 30 kills, as if we weren’t aware of that.

Anyway, that’s not important right now. Do your buffing before heading through the gate. Full slate is recommended here, including Magic Shell.

Ugh, who are you!? And what do you plan to do with the spellcannon!?

There’s no need for you to know.

[Valkanian Captain]: Captain Simmons, what do we do?

What do you think? Nothing. We don’t stand a chance against one of the Royal Guard.

[Valkanian Captain]: Who could that man be? He’s equal in strength to Lord Ordinale…

Who knows? And, frankly, if he’s going to take out a Royal Guard for us, who cares?

*The camera pans back over to our team at the entrance*

Huh, whoever that man is, he seems evenly matched against a Royal Guard member…

Now’s our time to shine, boys! How close are we to sealing up the mountain path?

[Valkanian Captain]: Supply transport is complete and they are starting to dig around the boulders.

Ah, close indeed, then. We must stall the enemy, no matter the cost!

[Valkanian Captain]: Yes, sir!

Master, if they succeed in blocking the mountain path, we won’t be able to access the spellcannon!

Alfonse is in bad shape and the Valkanians are trying to seal off our path up to the summit. We need to act fast.

There are a bunch of enemies scattered around the fort, but this cluster of spellcasters off to the right should be your first target. A joint spell combined with the Knack “Magic Up”, if you know it, will make quick work of them. Magic Up has been available to teach for a while, but I haven’t been using it much because of the MP drain. Magic Up will raise your next spell’s effectiveness by x1.5, but also doubles the MP cost.

Frayne and Hien get to work on charging Flare in order to deal with the spellcasters. You may be tempted to use Earthquake/Thunderstorm/Meteor/Tornado, but Blast takes a long time to charge and you probably haven’t had a chance to level it up very much just yet. A standard Joint Spell is a better choice for the time being.

I set Vallery to Auto and just let him wander around, attacking whatever he feels like. Since we’re indoors, his ranged attack is limited. There also aren’t any special targets that need dealing with right now.

As for Crevanille, well…

I think you know the answer to that. I pop Dash and have Crevanille run straight for Vester. If he’s on the field, then I intend to kick his rear end.

We have a time limit for clearing this battle, which represents the Valkanian efforts to seal the path. Alfonse and Vester will swing away at each other for the first part of this fight, but you don’t need to concern yourself with healing Alf. Just focus on enemy extermination.

Once someone gets to this doorway, Yuni will chime in.

If only we had some way to counter them…

This is a cue for the player to do something. It should be obvious what the game is hinting at, but just in case…

Remember, the medallion screws with dark powers. Once Yuni has given you this hint, have someone (anyone will do) go into items and use the Right Half.

*The screen flashes very briefly*

Hm?

Master, that’s it! Vester’s movements have slowed down!

With that done, I have Crevanille continue his berserker charge towards Vester. Hien and Frayne have dealt with the spellcaster group at this point, so Hien is sent out into the fort with Vallery to deal with the archers and heavy soldiers on the left and right of the central room.

Frayne continues casting spells, picking off the remaining spellcasters that are spread out in the back of the fort.

After a certain amount of time (or when a character gets close enough), the Vester/Alfonse fight will take a turn.

Haaa!

*Alfonse attacks*

Ngh! How dare you!

Wh-What was that!?

I’m surprised you dodged that!

Gah! What… is this…?

*Alfonse does down*

Mmm… Seems I’ve overdone it a bit.

No! Alfonse! …Also, Vester proceeds to try and run away again. Get back here you slippery little Sephiroth knock-off! :argh:

ARGH! Son of a bitch! Why do you keep running away?! It pisses me off so--

gently caress off, Simmons! I’m not in the mood for your crap right now!

Hngh! drat it… I can’t believe I’m going to die here…

*Dies*

…Well, I guess that makes me feel a little better. Everyone say goodbye to Simmons. He likely won’t be missed.

If your curious: no, Vester can’t be stopped from fleeing. He starts very close to the exit and the scene with Alfonse will trigger if anyone gets too close. I redid this battle with Crevanille’s speed boosted by 180% (using 3x MOV Up +3 stones) + Dash. He still couldn’t catch Vester before the bastard managed to get away. If it somehow is possible, then I still doubt that any character could kill him before he just leaves.

With Simmons dead, we just need to clear the stragglers.

*An Ordinale soldiers walks in from the direction that Vester just escaped from… somehow*

[Ordinale Captain]: I have no idea how, but he’s narrowly escaped death…

*A bunch of soldiers can be seen rushing into the fort behind us*

Guh… I can’t force my body to move at all.

That you survived Vester’s attacks at all is impressive. Even though the medallion’s powers were effective, anyone other than a Royal Guard would not have survived.

Ah… So it was thanks to you that I managed to survive the onslaught… Don’t worry about me, though. The spellcannon… You cannot let it be fired…

We understand. Leave the spellcannon to us and rest.

Thank you… everyone…

*We fade to black as Alfonse is moved*

*Success! Alfonse’s fate has been changed!*

Alfonse is another character who got a chance at being spared in Reloaded. In the Wayfarer of Time (JP) and Return versions, he is unavoidably killed in this battle. Your familiar does not say anything about Vester’s dark powers and you are not given the chance to use the Medallion. Keeping Alfonse healed during the battle also doesn’t work, as his death happens in an event scene that can’t be delayed or stopped by the player.

I think this change is one that most of us can be happy about, though. Alfonse is a bro.

As the soldier just mentioned, there is a rest area and save point off to the right side that we can use. You definitely want to take advantage of this, because the next section can be a bit of a pain to get through, depending on how strong your desire for treasure is.

Whenever you’re ready, head to this door down in the bottom left. The door that Vester went through has Ordinale soldiers positioned outside it who are guarding against Valkanian forces/possible Dulkheim attacks.

[Valkania Summoner #1]: We’ll commence firing on Ordinale shortly! When it succeeds, they’ll lose their spirit for the fight. We must succeed!

[Valkania Summoner #2]: The final checks are complete. All that’s left is for the energy to gather to full…

After Yuni finishes telling us to hurry up, we’ll be greeted by a countdown timer. It starts at 75 and drains relatively slowly. This is how much time we have to get to the summit and stop the spellcannon.

Normally this would be a laughably generous time limit, but the game tries to tempt us by scattering treasure chests all over the mountain. It’s up to you if you want to go for them. Just be aware that pretty much every path is crawling with Valkanian Soldiers and the timer won’t stop ticking down while you are in battle.

Even if you go for the treasure, the time limit shouldn’t be an issue. You just need to be a bit more careful about getting turned around or allowing fights to drag on for too long.

Here is a map to the treasure, as well as the direction you need to go in to advance the story:

1. Neural Scroll (Teaches Cycle Up) – Unavoidable battle along the way
2. Dead End
3. Next screen (Towards story path)
4. Blessing Bell (You should at least grab this, if nothing else)
5. Dead End

Following #3 will lead you to another screen. From here, you’ve got:

6. 8,630 Ril (This is a long winding path with an unavoidable battle. May not be worth it for you)
7. Next Screen
8. Dead End

Following #7 leads you to one last screen. You’ll pass by a watchtower and fight some Valkanians, after which you’ll come to another split path.

9. Time Incense (Unavoidable battle on the way)
10. Mt. Baltrick Summit
11. Life Scroll (Teaches Ailment Guard)

Before you follow #10 and transition to the next screen, do your buffing. Magic Shell is not critical here, as we won’t be facing a whole lot of magic.

[Valkanian Summoner #1]: What!? The enemy? We’re so close! Attention, all personnel! Continue working to charge the cannon and then fight when necessary! We have to buy enough time until the spellcannon can be fired!

[Valkanian Summoner #2]: Understood!

*Four of the summoners spread out to the left and right paths*

I will protect the spellcannon. Just be at ease and fight.

[Valkanian Summoner #1]: Yes, ma’am. I will give this to you.

Ah, we reached the summit in time, albeit barely.

Master, we do not have much time. Good luck, everyone.

Warning: This mission carries over the timer from our little trek up the mountains. Keep that in mind while hunting for treasure. Whatever time was left on the clock when you walked into this battle is how long you have to finish it.

Also worth noting:

The summoning spell cannot be annulled if Master falls during combat. Please keep him safe.

Our goal is to stop the summoners and the spellcannon. There are three paths in this area, but one of them is unimportant.

There are two summoners on the left path and two on the right, with the last two being positioned near the spellcannon with Regina. The center path is blocked by a bunch of summoned beasts, but we can completely ignore them, because…

Defeating a summoner will automatically get rid of whatever summoned beasts they are linked to. Your only goal in this fight should be taking out the summoners in whatever manner you feel is quickest. The summoners are capable of calling in more summoned beasts to get in your way, but spellcasters and ranged units (like Vallery/Remus) can just snipe the summoners from a distance. Melee units may have to fight their way through the beasts, however, since the paths are very narrow.

Normally, I send Crevanille up the left path and Vallery up the right, while Hien and Frayne cast spells. Every time a summoner is defeated, this will happen:

[Valkanian Summoner #3]: Ungh…

*The summoner passed out*

Are you all right, Master? There are still many summoners left. Please hang in there a little longer!

And that’s all there is to it. It’s not a difficult mission, as long as you don’t get hung up fighting the summoned beasts and also left yourself with enough time from the mountain portion to be able to finish this battle.

Now, the reason I said “normally” a little ways back is because the trip up the mountain and having to document all the different routes for the LP has tired me out, so I’m just going to…

There we are.

Now, for me to go and get a drink while Crevanille repeats that entire 10-second annulment animation six times in a row.

When there’s only one summoner remaining, Yuni will check in on how Crevanille is doing.

…I’m fine.

I will supporting [sic] you as much as I can. One more to go, Master.

*After the last summoner is knocked out*

No summoners remain. What is the status of the spellcannon?

drat, looks like it has a backup battery.

Hee hee, looks like you only bought yourself a little time, eh?

That’s all Crevanille needs, baby.

Unacceptable!

If I can just stand my ground until the spellcannon is ready to fire…

Once the summoners are taken out, you just need to bumrush Regina. She can attack from a range, but she isn’t nearly strong enough to fend off Crevanille, let alone the entire party. Our Crevanille deals with her in one shot (granted, she had already been hit by 2 Sword Dances before this).

*Regina collapses*

All right, everyone! Now to stop the cannon!

The timer is still ticking, so get to the spellcannon as quick as you can and interact with it.

Oh no you don’t.

*Spellcannon Drive obtained*

*The screen goes white for a few seconds*

We blew something up! Yeah!

Hngh… Ah… Please… finish me! Do it this time, before it comes back again…

Master, we can rescue Regina. If we use my Access Psyche skill, we can enter her mind. If we then help her win against the parasite, she can break away from its control.

We could just kill her, but we have Access Psyche, so we might as well use it. I don’t think anyone in the thread particularly hates Regina.

Use Access Psyche right now.

Engaging Access Psyche. Relax your mind… Let your consciousness flow into mine…

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 10, 2021

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

But if she can assert control over herself, then she should be able to return to normal. If we fail, though… we could do irreparable damage. Be careful what actions you decide to take…

There’s no end to this!

Seems we must strike directly at their leader.

If that’s the case, then let’s get to it!

*Bauer leaves*

Regina, you’re in charge here. Bauer and I will go take down their leader.

*Dixon leaves*

Be careful!

*Regina kills a wolf*

I won’t let you get past here! Hwaaah!

*She kills the last two wolves*

Whew… it’s over. I should go catch up with Dad and--

*The wolves then turn into Dixon and Bauer*

Huh? Wh-What…?

*Dixon dies*

Whyyy, Miss Regina…?

*Bauer dies*

No… this can’t be! H-How did this happen? Did I kill them? Did I kill everyone? Nooo, it wasn’t me! I didn’t do it… I did nothing wrong!

How come you’re not a Vester Illusion?

The world?

If a world such as this didn’t exist, you wouldn’t have had to kill your loved ones…

A horrible world like this should disappear!

That’s right… It should vanish. I will lend you my help to make it so. I’ll never betray you…

:barf:

This is no use. It’s already using her mind’s weakness against her. We need to go further back, to a time when she felt safe…

Works for me. Anywhere but here sounds better than watching Vester be a creeper.

Still, whatever happened, bringing a child into a mercenary brigade is another matter… I really wonder what he was thinking, bringing you into our group. Well, enough about that. We need to get going!

*Regina walks off to the left, where she finds Remus*

[“Boy”]: …N-Ngh…

Come on, hang in there!

[“Boy”]: N-Nooo!

*”Boy” then pops to his feet and attacks Regina*

Huh…? Wh-Why? Why was I attacked? Gahhh!

Let’s start from a different memory.

[Mother]: Be well, Regina. I just know you’ll become one of the finest mercenaries ever seen.

I’ll make sure of it.

[Mother]: Please take care of her, dear. And bring her back a new woman! I can’t wait to see her again…

What’s wrong, Mom?

[Mother]: What? There’s nothing wrong.

But… you were so against me going until yesterday…

[Mother]: I-Is that so?

B-But…

Looks like we’ve gone too far back into Regina’s memories. The parasite is sitting there going “Oh, poo poo. My study notes don’t cover this! Quick, think… what did parasite mom always used to say?”

…Purple dildo parasite mom is very supportive of her little boy, in case you didn’t know. Purple dildo parasite dad is a different story… that lousy drunk.

You’re…!

This is a family matter. A stranger like you has no place here.

What are you saying, Dad!? He’s not a stranger!

Y-You’re right… Uhhh, you’re… I-I’m sorry. I can’t… remember now…

We already did this whole song and dance with Meline; it didn’t work. Let’s skip the talk and just get to it.

*attack the fakes*

*Crevanille attacks Dixon and the Mother, who simply blip out of existence with no fanfare*

What the hell? Where are my real parents?

Well… they’re still dead, unfortunately. But at least they weren’t those fake ones.

We’re inside your mind.

*gasp* Crevanille! What are you doing here?

I came to free you.

To free me?

*Crevanille explains what’s going on*

I… I understand. I need to become stronger, then, right? I can do this! I can fight and win my mind back!

*We succeeded in making contact with Regina’s consciousness!*

Regina should be regaining her true self now. Let’s go free her in her other memories, too!

Vester…

Don’t be fooled by these illusions.

Illusions? These are all illusions? …Thanks, Crevanille. I won’t let myself be taken in by these anymore!

Man, this is way easier than Meline’s was.

Liar…! This is all just a fake world you made up!

What are you saying? I--

YOU killed everyone! Begone, deceiver!

*Regina then attacks Vester*

Tch, I’ve failed! But your mind is still in my grasp! You can’t escape me!

*Vester then runs away, because even in the mind realm, he’s still a giant pansy*

The parasite’s control has all but completely vanished. This is our chance, Master.

*Blah blah… blah blah blah, blah! Blah*

Oh! Do you remember the first time we saw this memory? We have to stop her or she’ll be killed again! Hurry, Master!

*We need to run up to Regina and stop her before she gets to Remus… I mean, “Boy”*

Crevanille? This boy… Huh? What the!?

*Crevanille runs up and blocks a shot from “Boy”*

[Boy?]: Hrgh… I failed!

Wh-What are you talking about?

[Boy?]: What, you’ve already forgotten? I’m astounded at the human mind’s ability to forget that which is inconvenient for it…

Inconvenient? Something… inconvenient…

You died.

I died…? Ugh, that’s right! This thing took control of my body! Hey, you let go of me and give my body back!

*Regina attacks “Boy”, which flickers as it changes form*

:gonk: Oh, god. Did you have to show it?

*We cut back to the spellcannon, where Regina gets back on her feet*

Well done!

Th-Thank you, Crevanille…

Objective achieved. Superlative, Master!

That’s our Crevanille!

Yay! Regina’s fate has been mostly changed! Ignore the subscript!

Crevanille, words will never make up for the things I’ve done… But I’ll find some way to atone if it’s the last thing I do!

*Regina has joined the party!*

Double yay! New party member!

*Regina then walks away and we’re free to head back home… which means traveling all the way back down the mountain, through Fort Baltrick, and then through the forest to Rebrant… ugh…*

But first.

Hey, everyone. Well done destroying the spellcannon! With Alfonse on the sidelines, I can’t play around anymore. I’m heading out to the front lines.

‘Bout time you did something!

Heh, I had that coming. But this seems like as good a time as any, eh? Also, I spoke with Alfonse about this, and we decided to pretend that he died in battle. It may help us catch the enemy off guard. Just make sure you keep it quiet, okay?

From this point forward, I will be taking command of the Ordinale Army! The safety of our nation and our continent depends on your efforts! For yourselves, for your families… and for my brother… let us bring an end to this war once and for all!

[Ordinale Captain]: Understood!

They were planning on making this move when our forces went to Kilgrid. I will head to the northern side of the bridge. I’m confident Dulkheim will eventually attack the south side.

All right, we must regroup at once!

[Ordinale Captain]: Yes, sir!

*Chris and the soldiers leave*

With the threat of the spellcannon gone, I suggest returning to Eliza’s villa to decide our next action.

You know what that means! Vacation time!

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 10, 2021

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

I forgot to set the Furlough vote!

--Furlough Vote 7--

-We get four days this time.
-Vote for up to 6 people.

We can spend time with:

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 10, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Psycho Knight posted:

I forgot to set the Furlough vote!

--Furlough Vote 7--

-We get four days this time.
-Vote for up to 6 people.

We can spend time with:

Regina, Vallery, Magnus, Melaine, Remus, and the one to the right of Frayne whose name I'm blanking on atm.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Regina, Vallery, Magnus, Melaine, Remus, and the one to the right of Frayne whose name I'm blanking on atm.

:same:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Sidney. Also voting for this BTW.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Sydney, Regina, Yuni, Magnus, Remus

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

You blew something up! Yeah!! :neckbeard:

I mostly just want Hien, Remus, and Regina at this point.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Eliza, Vallery, Regina, Magnus, Meline, and Maggie

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Still can't advance sydney guys. We need to get a mcguffin, and then decide which of 3 girls to girls to give it to, and that's the only speedbump on the getting the endings deal.

I'm ahead on
Meline, Leona, Hien, Frayne, Yuni, Remus.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Sep 11, 2021

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

MythosDragon posted:

Still can't advance sydney guys. We need to get a mcguffin, and then decide which of 3 girls to girls to give it to, and that's the only speedbump on the getting the endings deal.

While this is true, there is still that little baby step we can take towards Sydney's next event that the LP hasn't done yet. That's why I decided to include her without any notes.

Speaking of notes, however, I didn't really have the ability to cover this stuff since I was editing from my phone. There's something that I need to mention about Furloughs and character stories:

--Note about Character Stories--

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there are only 2 vacation periods left (this one and an eighth one). That means it has become more difficult (if not impossible) to complete the quest chain for certain characters that the thread has been largely passing on.

So, as of the start of Vacation 7, here are the characters that I consider to be "locked in" based on how the thread has been voting. I will be finishing the character stories for these characters regardless of how the thread votes here and during the next vacation, because finishing them is how we unlock the possible character endings (and I'd like for the thread to have a little choice in that):

Eliza - I believe there is only one event left in Eliza's chain.

Remus - Only one event left.

Hien - One step left, after which he just needs to be included in a certain story fight.

Tricia - This is a bit of a spoiler, but Tricia's character story is tied in with keeping her alive, so we will qualify for her ending by default (unless you guys want me to suddenly kill her or something, for no reason).

Magnus - I'm including him only because he seems to have already secured enough votes for Vacation 7 and his character story only has one step, so he seems like a shoe-in at this point.

Other than those characters, everyone else still has more to do in order to qualify for their ending. Vacation 8 will be used to wrap up any character stories that I believe to still be doable.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 11, 2021

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Technically there's one more, but it's just making the choice of what ending you want to see.

My votes:
Sydney (to learn we need the mcguffin)
Leona (to get the mcguffin)
Magnus (:swoon:)
Eliza (finish her story)
Hien (finish his)
Regina (for a different mcguffin)

I think Frayne is impossible at this point, and Leona might be, I don't remember how many times we need to check back in with her after her events actually start rolling.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Ardeem posted:

I think Frayne is impossible at this point, and Leona might be, I don't remember how many times we need to check back in with her after her events actually start rolling.

Not sure about Leona, since I have never finished her character story before, but for Frayne I think it might still be possible. One of her things is a non-vacation event. Other than that, I think we just need to talk/bring her to one other place? I don't quite remember.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Just looked it up, and it might be possible. I don't know how fast the guy running the museum works. But if we can get two Frayne updates in this vacation, then on the next one she sends us running all over the map, and there isn't another check in required like I thought there was.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Changing my vote to whomever needs it to get their endings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

AltaBrown posted:

whomever needs it to get their endings.

Yeah, time to do that. whatever is necessary to get all the endings, I guess.

Hope it won't involve too many spreadsheets.

Ardeem posted:

"All the endings" is impossible, there aren't enough slots for everyone and there is a pair of mutually exclusive mcguffins. So just vote for your favorites.

Boo. Well, Frayne, Sidney, Yuni, Eliza,

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 11, 2021