Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

I Might Be Adam posted:

You could always ride the floor tom instead of the hats/ride. Is that what you're thinking? When I first started playing, there was a definite distinction among myself and other beginner musicians that I played with between "regular beats" and "more of a cool tribal feel" which was basically just eighth notes on a floor tom and using the rack toms instead of the snare. If you really want to mesh together kick/snare patterns with toms, try throwing in random tom hits on up beats or small single beat fills during your kick/snare patterns.

I am all about riding on the floor tom, gives everything a darker minor key feel. For some examples see the Cars song I linked earlier, as well as stuff like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH4APTyVapw

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOoFau0he5s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Pouring one out for my homie, pro light-toucher Charlie Watts :smith:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Takes No Damage posted:

Pouring one out for my homie, pro light-toucher Charlie Watts :smith:

What big rock drummers from bands of that era are left? Other than Ringo.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Roger Taylor?

Uhhhhhh

Ummmmmmm

Uhhhhhhhhh

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Bill Ward's still alive, even though he's been cropped out of all the photos on Black Sabbath's website.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

What big rock drummers from bands of that era are left? Other than Ringo.

From the 60s, early 60s at that? Not many. I was about to say Nicko (my go-to old but still rocking drummer) but he's 'only' been in Iron Maiden since '82, two decades after the Stones debuted. He started gigging at pubs and weddings when he was 14 and that was still 1966. Watts drummed for the Rolling Stones for almost 60 years :stare:

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Does mickey dolen count

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
jim keltner is still kicking

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Ian Paice (who is younger than I expected considering he's been Deep Purple's drummer since the beginning -- dude was 19 when they made their first album.)

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Carmine Appice is still around. So is Nick Mason (Pink Floyd). Might as well include Tommy Aldridge too.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

Carmine Appice is still around. So is Nick Mason (Pink Floyd). Might as well include Tommy Aldridge too.

True, but it was extra impressive that Watts was still actively drumming with his 'original' band from way back then. The surviving Stones should be studied to figure out how to keep that many people working together for that long without imploding like the Beatles did.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

True, but it was extra impressive that Watts was still actively drumming with his 'original' band from way back then. The surviving Stones should be studied to figure out how to keep that many people working together for that long without imploding like the Beatles did.

True. But I was really just asking who was still alive, not who is still in the band they started. But there's probably another forum for that :-)

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
I ended up getting the Roland TD-17 with mesh heads. It was a bigger expense than I initially budgeted for, but so far has been worth every penny. Surely moving from any cheapo e-drum kit to a legitimate one was going to feel better, but this thing is just a dream. Having pretty much every feature I could possibly want in the brain eliminates dealing with a bunch of periphery gadgets when I am trying to get practice in. Riding the new equipment high has also pushed me past a couple of walls I had been hitting lately. Thanks for the recommendation!

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I have one also and it's great. Don't forget to run the calibrator on the hi hat pedal

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Drums finally, FINALLY set up:

Old-old drummer didn't want his Yamaha Stage Customs when he moved out of state so they've been in storage for years. Before I got these handed to me, I was daydreaming/browsing shell sets on craigslist, but now that these are set up correctly/how I want them, my only gripe is that I want a 24" not a 22" kick. Spent 4-ish hours scraping ancient duct tape and ~*loving mildew*~ off of the shells and hoops. Brand-new heads on everything, hadn't tuned drums in over 6 years so spent another hour or so I tuned things using Randy Cooke's video on Drumeo as a guide. They're tuned so low that I gotta hit em super hard if I wanna be heard over the rest of the band, which is way fun for me in a punk-n-roll band. That snare is an old Wail City which sounds great, but I'm hoping to swap it out with a Pearl brass free-floating soon. The cymbals are cheap placeholders, so that's the next step in more rock. Got my eye on Paiste Signature dry ride and some old 1000 Rude hats, not sure about crash yet, but I want something at least 18" and thin.

Got to play em at full-volume for the first time for 3 hours last night, I was dripping with sweat and loving every second of it. Today I'm sore and realized that I smashed my knuckle on one of the rims. Can't wait to get back!

scuz fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 3, 2021

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Looking good!

I know having everything flat as poo poo is cool but for me your crash in particular could do with just a little tilt towards you to help prevent cracking (especially when you spend money on something that you care about.) A little bit of an angle on that rack tom might also help with your knuckles.

Or not, it's mostly taste.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Flat toms look awesome but I can't play them. I need a little bit of an angle.

Also is that a beater head on the outside of that bass drum?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AndrewP posted:

I had my rack toms almost vertical once, it works better than you'd think but still probably best with just a slight tilt towards the player. And I don't know what the visual differences are between Aquarian's batter and reso bass heads, but that sure does look like the same batter I have :raise: As long as they don't have a reso on the batter side it probably doesn't matter too much anyway.

In tuningchat, I recently retuned my snare and adjusted the wires following these videos that got posted in the Discord:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paCUkRiNOWI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYvcTL8v9jI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF1hzMhx9oc

I don't know if I just got lucky or what but my snare sound, while a lot buzzier than before, sounds way louder and cuts through all the other parts of the kit much more than it did before. Obviously it depends on what sound you're going for, but most of the videos I'd seen before this recommended cranking the snare side way up, just FYI loosening it a little bit can have some cool effects as well.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Instead of flat toms you could just go the opposite way with it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwNM-PSBeCY

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Enos Cabell posted:

what the gently caress

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Enos Cabell posted:

that looks extremely uncomfortable wtf

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Saw the title of the video and assumed it was the same guy I saw from Jack’s Austin city limits gig. Yup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikoRfHm8fLc

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

that looks like a very uncomfortable gimmick

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's.......... unique. :lol: about 2 minutes in he literally stands up to do a roll on the floor tom. Does look pretty comfortable for snare work with a trad grip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3i89q27nGc
12:30, he says the snare is tilted like that for trad grip but admits he just does the toms that way for looks.

I am glad to see Jack growing his hair out again, looked weird and also wrong with short hair.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 4, 2021

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Honestly the weird toms probably helped get him the gig and I guess I respect that.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

Looking good!

I know having everything flat as poo poo is cool but for me your crash in particular could do with just a little tilt towards you to help prevent cracking (especially when you spend money on something that you care about.) A little bit of an angle on that rack tom might also help with your knuckles.

Or not, it's mostly taste.
Thanks! I'm 6' 7" so I don't have any issue with the tom being flatter than a pancake. One of my local drum icons plays his set this way and when I saw him play for the first time it just stuck in my head. Good point about the cymbal angle, I'll be changing that. That particular crash is not mine, it's a $20 place-holder crash which sounds like hell and should be beaten as such. On that note, today I picked up an 18" Zildjian hollow logo crash:

I wasn't expecting it to be as bright and fast as it is, was shopping for a fast/thin crash but this was completely awesome as soon as I smacked it around. Hopefully be picking up this Paiste Signature dry ride sometime next week to "complete" my cymbal collection... for now. Kinda curious how the two cymbals will sound with each other.

AndrewP posted:

It IS! It's there cuz I got a new batter head and the old resonant head had a dumb old logo on it and had a hole cut in it. This sounds pretty cannon-like as it is now so I'm probably gonna screen-print something on the outside and call it a day.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Anyone have a piping hot fresh discord link? The one on the last page expired.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

scuz posted:

Anyone have a piping hot fresh discord link? The one on the last page expired.

https://discord.gg/KqnTjFMw

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Has anyone tried Kick Block? Looks like a much better way than the usual methods and not expensive at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hflCVc1a4YY

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

:tipshat: thanks much!

Bonzo posted:

Has anyone tried Kick Block? Looks like a much better way than the usual methods and not expensive at all.

Nifty. I'd like to see how that handles double-pedals at thrash-metal volumes.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Bonzo posted:

pretty expensive for what is literally a brick with some velcro on it

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Embrace the Dark Lord and screw the rubber feet on your bass drum up enough so that the metal spikes come out :black101:

(this is also why you set your kit up on a crappy rug you don't care about destroying)

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I once saw the drum tech for Rocket From The Crypt secure Atom Willards kit with two long nails he drove through eyelets in the bass drum spurs. That was so badass that we immediately started making up folk tales about his abilities- like he was the ex-drummer for Slayer and that he played with an oxygen tank strapped to his face. Then he came out and melted our faces. RFTC and the Vandals are the only bands I would go see just to watch the drummers.

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Jazz Marimba posted:

pretty expensive for what is literally a brick with some velcro on it

A foam or cork brick, even. I imagine these things would get shredded after two or three uses.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

what’re y’all’s fave cymbal bags?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Jazz Marimba posted:

Short answer: Zlidjian makes good ones, but anything with a reinforced bottom and lots of pockets is aces in my book

Longer answer: I've only ever used Zildjian bags, but that's just because I've only worked with schools and organizations that were partnered with them, or at least used them exclusively. From what I remember they came in various sizes, but the larger ones had additional pocket space on the front for splashes and other smaller cymbals, which I always appreciated. Of course every bag is going to have its limits, but any bag should comfortably hold 5 before you need to start worrying about the integrity of the bottom or the handles.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Jazz Marimba posted:

I've had one of these for a while
https://drummersonly.co.uk/product/ahead-armor-deluxe-cym-bag-wruck-straps/

It's quite good.

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 25, 2021

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Picked up a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 so I could run my TD9 through a laptop and play around with different drum sounds via EZ Drummer. Got it setup and working great, latency is pretty much non-existant, and then I go to tweak some settings on the TD9 and the drat F1 button is no longer working. :cry:

Going to disassemble it today and try to clean the contacts, but if that doesn't work guess I'm in the market for a new brain. TD9 is pretty long in the tooth, but dunno if I want to spend TD17 money.

E: contacts look ok, will clean up and put back together but I'm not too hopeful

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 30, 2021

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

Thing kinda looks like a thermostat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Im seriously considering replacing my Edrum kit with an acoustic (and reading about all the bad habits learning on an Edrum kit- ive got them all)

But even though i am 'upgrading' i dont have any hardware or anything so i have to fork out for it.

Ive picked a shell kit (Mapex Armory 6 piece fast) with hardware and plan to put remo silentstrike heads on almost immediately due to noise levels. So far price for this is looking acceptable. (all dollars are in AUS) ($2001 for kit, hardware and heads)

But then i get to the cymbals. My original plan was to maybe drop at most $250, and found out that that isnt going to get me anything remotely musical.

From what i have heard (mostly online) i really like the sound of the Meinl Classic Custom darks, but a pack (14 hats 16 + 18 crash, 20 ride) is about $760 whereas the Zildjian L80 low volumes are about $550 (My drum teacher has these so i know how loud they are)

Am i better off getting the Meinl's? or should i get the cheapest cymbals i can and upgrade those in the future? Or just get the low volumes? (Price, volume, sound all competing for my money)