Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/WLWT/status/1433836501612343298?s=20

I forgot River Fest was still happening. Cincinnati super spreader here we go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Epic High Five posted:

free market diversity in messaging means they get to Listen to the Science no matter what they think!

:hmmyes: this must be the free marketplace of ideas I have heard so much about.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Epic High Five posted:

free market diversity in messaging means they get to Listen to the Science no matter what they think!

Liberals have figured out they can just hire scientists to justify their views like they can hire lawyers to justify their crimes

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

McNugget Buddy posted:

Liberals have figured out they can just hire scientists to justify their views like they can hire lawyers to justify their crimes

or just invest absolute authority into people who are saying what they want to hear like with Oster

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
here's a question: if we assume that vaccination absolutely prevents hospitalization from COVID (which it doesn't), and the only people who will ever get hospitalized are the unvaccinated, what percentage of the total population of the US would need to be vaccinated, in order for the number of hospitalized, unvaccinated people to no longer overwhelm the number of available beds?

because it seems like that would be have to be a pretty high percentage

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

mod sassinator posted:

lmfao it's like a school kid that spends the entire quarter procrastinating the big final report and then barfs out garbage in a hurried rush 48 hours before it's due

(that school kid was me)

i'm going to bet dollars to donuts they full pivot into open 'er up, roll back all covid protections, this is the new normal and we are just living with the consequences. the only other option is a hard lockdown to get to covid zero and they absolutely don't have the balls to do that. any other half measure is worthless and they know it.

covid-19: all gas or all brake

lmao we've known about delta since like March or April and knew it was spreading here nationwide by June.

it's loving September. what the gently caress.

Feste
Apr 7, 2009

Gio posted:

oh no i already got dose three lol and i thought i was dying for 24 hours

im worried i might get mrna cancer or something

I was just looking into this as well. Here's something from a Yahoo! Finance article

Fauci defends vaccine boosters, Moderna seeks FDA approval of booster

quote:

ANJALEE KHEMLANI: That's right, Brian. So we know now that the FDA is looking at the Moderna vaccine and its potential for a booster shot. The company did submit information earlier this week looking at basically a half dose. And that's kind of interesting compared to Pfizer, which is just going straight through on their full dose as a third shot. We know that as of right now, Moderna is also kind of interested in what the White House has to say about the eight month post-initial dose versus the six month, which is what the data shows. And we know that that's been a conversation that has been ongoing.

And, meanwhile, this 50 microgram, which is that half dose of what the original dose is, is really important for Moderna because, as we know, they're tapped out on manufacturing for the rest of the year and into 2022. And this could free up about a billion doses, company officials said earlier today. So that is really interesting to watch.

Maybe it's just capitalism?

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Tei posted:

cool work!

what was that red dot?
In the game when someone is in the ICU they turn red, and if they’re blacked out they’re dead. Hospitalized / dead patients no longer spread Covid (since they’re not supposed to be there) but I like having them on screen as a visual aid :)

I think I do intend on adding graphics to the simulator though, and a proper UI instead

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1433837305496686592

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:
took one day off and I'm fifty pages back

thorsilver posted:

Please allow me to share my ultimate crack-ping.

My office announced they were reopening a few weeks ago. The masking policy would allow people in our open-plan office with permanently shut windows to take off their masks when seated at their desks. Management 'suggested' that people maintain 2m social distancing while in the office. I spoke to one of our front desk people, and she told me that people were coming in maskless and getting all up in her space, so she dreaded coming into work every day, but is too scared to complain to senior management about it. I thought this was unfair and lovely, so I spent several hours working up an extremely detailed email about the dangers of Delta, and outlined exactly why this masking policy is insanely loving stupid, and said they should mandate and provide high-quality masks for all staff, and that those masks should not be removed at any time. All claims were backed up by citations from big journals (Nature, Science, The Lancet, etc.) and high-profile organisations like the WHO, etc. I sent it to committee responsible for the reopening plans.

The response a week later expressed sorrow that I am so 'worried', and apologised for being 'unable to reassure me', but that the policy would not change. I did not mention anything in my email about being worried, or about needing reassurance. None of my scientific claims were addressed at all. Later that day, an email went out to all staff containing this line: "We know that over the coming weeks it is likely that there may be positive COVID-19 cases in the workplace and that this might heighten everyone’s anxiety". So, they know people will catch Covid in the workplace under these conditions, and they will do... nothing.

Here's the kicker: I work in a public health research facility at a university.

We are so loving hosed. The entire purpose of my workplace is to improve public health and reduce health inequalities, yet those in charge don't give a gently caress about Covid and the misery, death and inequity it causes. The author of the email reply I received is a loving Professor of Public Health.

loving lol. lmao

in the midst of a pandemic, a diversity win: people of all genders can now be patted on the shoulder and told "it sounds like you're feeling pretty emotional about this"

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

mod sassinator posted:

lmfao it's like a school kid that spends the entire quarter procrastinating the big final report and then barfs out garbage in a hurried rush 48 hours before it's due

(that school kid was me)

i'm going to bet dollars to donuts they full pivot into open 'er up, roll back all covid protections, this is the new normal and we are just living with the consequences. the only other option is a hard lockdown to get to covid zero and they absolutely don't have the balls to do that. any other half measure is worthless and they know it.

covid-19: all gas or all brake

For the sake of sportsmanship, I’m going to make the opposite bet. He announces a new pandemic relief plan where every American gets a check for a thirty five dollars with a surgical mask stapled to it, unemployment gets turned back on unless one governor anywhere says it should stay off, and certain means tested families can get a third off of last month’s water bill if they sign up on a new website that doesn’t work.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Risutora posted:

he hasnt posted since the hurricane hit, has he?

he posted this morning in the weather disaster thread (which is DISTINCT from the climate thread)

Nodelphi posted:

Hey, just an update: I’m alive, made it through the storm, a tree fell on a power line then caught fire and caught my neighbor’s home on fire, he got out ok.

Have some roof damage and had a bunch of water in the house. Had a generator but the serpentine belt broke. Replaced it with a jury rigged lawnmower belt but that melted under the strain. Oh well. No water or power at the moment.

The hospitals are in pretty dire straits, we continue to see a lot of covid cases (I am now fully recovered btw) plus the nursing homes decided to do some truly heinous things and now hospitals are even more overwhelmed with sick old people.

Going to get back to work, I hope all the other goons affected by the current disasters are doing well. We’ll get through this!

Nodelphi posted:

They crammed 800 nursing home patients into an old underwear factory with mattresses on the floor and 4 people died. Many got sick and overheated.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Risutora posted:

he hasnt posted since the hurricane hit, has he?

just posted an update in the weather thread. they're getting back to the hospital to work on the covid surge--poo poo is pretty bad down there

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Are there any studies on the infection rate of vaccinated people who are exposed to infected people for an extended period?

My partner and I have been quarantined with my two covid-positive kids for the last week and so far we’re fine but I have to imagine it’s just a matter of time before we get sick.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

jesus, half the time I look at x-rays of illnesses and think "there's nothing there and you're making that up" but wowzers that lung don work

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Knoxville going to be the epicenter of COVID lol

I’m real worried about my nephew in Chattanooga since he’s too young for the jab.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

hahahahahahahaha holy poo poo

HOLY poo poo

if they roll back on the plan... holy poo poo

everyone--go the gently caress out now and max titers it immediately in your 5-6 month window post shot 2. this is unbelievably bad and hosed. the data from israel right now is crystal clear that boosters are cutting transmission again and working. why in the gently caress they would delay this in unbelievable

they're willing to boost you here in GA with moderna at 4 months. I'm getting my third in less than a week. their reasoning is that it's not going to hurt you to go early and hard and they're literally pitching the loving vaccines.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

anyway after a bunch of stick beating from the governor the local school here begrudgingly made the pre-k parents meeting mask mandatory. One guy literally LIFTED HIS MASK TO COUGH

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

WampaLord posted:

lmao he thinks that rate is too high and that's the problem

Why the gently caress does he care whether other people mask or not

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

he posted this morning in the weather disaster thread (which is DISTINCT from the climate thread)

thank god. i cant read any of the climate (or adjacent) threads without getting anxiety attacks

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Real Mean Queen posted:

For the sake of sportsmanship, I’m going to make the opposite bet. He announces a new pandemic relief plan where every American gets a check for a thirty five dollars with a surgical mask stapled to it, unemployment gets turned back on unless one governor anywhere says it should stay off, and certain means tested families can get a third off of last month’s water bill if they sign up on a new website that doesn’t work.

and we all get a $50 applebees gift certificate lol, "go out and celebrate America, it's on the house tonight"

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

zegermans posted:

anyway after a bunch of stick beating from the governor the local school here begrudgingly made the pre-k parents meeting mask mandatory. One guy literally LIFTED HIS MASK TO COUGH

:stare: :stare: :stare:

Apr 7, 2003

I’m at the DMV and it’s packed, fml

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I’m at the DMV and it’s packed, fml

I'm at the DMV

I'm at the ICU

I'm at the combination DMV and ICU

Apr 7, 2003

Covid is as bad here as it’s ever been and masking is maybe 50% lmao

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
the UK has quietly crept back up to the peak it was hitting from the soccer games, and then nosedived and everyone said "see! delta ain't no big deal... it's all over"

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1433824386964987914

lol it ain't over

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Gio posted:

am i gonna die from getting full dose chad moderna as a booster

I got two full dose modernas after getting pfizered.

I'm fine.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

The UK is shooting up in cases according to Worldometers. ETA until 100,000 cases/day? :thunk:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
india continues to keep growing in cases

ooph, this is seriously the most worrying news to me right now... out of all the extremely worrying poo poo going on. if they go into a full scale surge again, wow... natural immunity ain't worth poo poo

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Buck Wildman posted:

I'm at the DMV

I'm at the ICU

I'm at the combination DMV and ICU

you down with ICV

yeah you know me

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Here it's 0%. :denmark:

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Feste posted:

I was just looking into this as well. Here's something from a Yahoo! Finance article

Fauci defends vaccine boosters, Moderna seeks FDA approval of booster

Maybe it's just capitalism?

isnt it always capitalism?

anyways thanks :)

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

zegermans posted:

It’s wild how you can just watch people show you that they’re not capable of what you’d think of as thought. They don’t even know they’re doing it, people are just casually demonstrating that they’re food tubes with a vestigial person shape on the outside that wouldn’t speak a known human language if somebody hadn’t made them learn one before they were old enough to have freedoms. That guy would have gotten his cock stuck in a an electrical outlet and died by now, if only someone had the foresight to give us bigger outlets that made such a thing possible

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

https://twitter.com/robbysoave/status/1433800125508358146

this guy is one sharp motherfucker

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

it is all the CDC’s fault too which lmao

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mod sassinator posted:

ooph, this is seriously the most worrying news to me right now... out of all the extremely worrying poo poo going on. if they go into a full scale surge again, wow... natural immunity ain't worth poo poo

2 months natural immunity it would seem

And in the past 2 months, they've only increased from 4% of the population fully vaccinated to 11% fully vaccinated

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i dont know why chuds think convincing people theyre loving idiots is “owning the libs” when it just proves theyre the loving idiots ppl think they are.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

Any word on whether it's still all delta there or if there's some sweet new variant popping off? Either scenario is very bad obviously.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

McNugget Buddy posted:

2 months natural immunity it would seem

And in the past 2 months, they've only increased from 4% of the population fully vaccinated to 11% fully vaccinated

lol didn't the latest data show pfizer vaccine was really only good for 2 months against delta too?

proooooooooobably not a coincidence that both natural and vaccine immunity goes in the shitter at the same time

also lmao here's a paywalled NY times article talking about how WH officials are saying they might need to scale back the september 20 booster for all americans plan: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/03/us/coronavirus-booster-shots.html hahaha holy poo poo they are really going to backpedal on this, and that is just SUPER hosed

go get your boosters folks, when they roll this decision out there will be even more scolding and tut-tutting people getting 'unauthroized' boosters. at some point they might clamp down on it, who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah, that’s the smart number to watch, and I wish we could get a reliable one. If it turns out delta can just pinball around in your community and gently caress everybody up every second or third month, that’s a very different problem than a one and done where it just tears through everybody and goes away.

Luckily those reliable numbers probably don’t exist and we know for a fact that nobody in the American government would be looking at them if they did, so we’ll all just get to figure this one out on our own around Thanksgiving or Christmas or so.