Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

mod sassinator posted:

hahaha holy poo poo they are really going to backpedal on this, and that is just SUPER hosed

lol cant just give away free poo poo every 2 months forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mod sassinator posted:

lol didn't the latest data show pfizer vaccine was really only good for 2 months against delta too?

2-4 months against symptomatic infection depending on the source, and then antibodies are completely gone after 5 months

at least in America half of the population has a decent chance at avoiding hospitalization with the 2-dose series

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Anachronist posted:

Any word on whether it's still all delta there or if there's some sweet new variant popping off? Either scenario is very bad obviously.

hard to say, apparently kerala is growing the most right now: https://www.news18.com/news/india/c...ra-4156007.html

quote:

The alarming surge in Covid-19 cases in Kerala has led health experts to link the increase with possible beginning of the third wave of the pandemic in India, according to reports.

While the Centre and the State government has not officially termed the surge in Kerala to the third wave, a staggering 72 per cent of total cases of Covid-19 cases in the country were reported in Kerala this week.

“The surge indicates that it may be the beginning of the third wave and we need to be careful now," public health expert and epidemiologist Dr Raman Kutty told the Times of India. “We have a large susceptible population and the government needs to come up with a long-term strategy to deal with new Covid waves,” she added.

Former state epidemiologist, Dr A Sukumaran, said “It is the general principle of any viral infection that there may be multiple waves when we have a susceptible population. Kerala will also see many Covid waves before the cases actually start subsiding.”

However, Kerala’s covid-19 surge is different from the nation’s average, Dr Rajeev Jayadevan, vice-chairman, research cell, IMA (Kerala state). “Unlike small nations, waves do not occur uniformly in a large country due to variation in factors such as travel, population density, socio-economic conditions, geography, weather, vaccination, literacy, sero-prevalence, regional penetration of misinformation, quality of science communication, healthcare infrastructure and compliance with safe pandemic behaviour,” he said.

numbers are definitely ticking up and the trend of falling cases has reversed:

we'll probably know in a few weeks if it's something new or just delta continuing to infect or reinfect

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

go get your boosters folks, when they roll this decision out there will be even more scolding and tut-tutting people getting 'unauthroized' boosters.

:yeshaha:

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Iirc Kerala did really well compared to other places during the second wave, maybe it's just delta finally getting the best of them?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

so I mean if the vaccines aren't really preventing infection after 2-4 months, are they just hoping we all get sick in that time frame enough that natural immunity (huge quotey fingers here) kicks in and prevents it from being anything other tha moderate infection in the majority population and the idea is that we can all go back to normal afterward? because that sounds insane but that's the general vibe I'm kind of getting.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Real Mean Queen posted:

It’s wild how you can just watch people show you that they’re not capable of what you’d think of as thought. They don’t even know they’re doing it, people are just casually demonstrating that they’re food tubes with a vestigial person shape on the outside that wouldn’t speak a known human language if somebody hadn’t made them learn one before they were old enough to have freedoms. That guy would have gotten his cock stuck in a an electrical outlet and died by now, if only someone had the foresight to give us bigger outlets that made such a thing possible

watching people post in the stupid class dojo thing they use for class communication now was eye opening about how stupid people actually are

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

mod sassinator posted:

lmfao it's like a school kid that spends the entire quarter procrastinating the big final report and then barfs out garbage in a hurried rush 48 hours before it's due

(that school kid was me)

i'm going to bet dollars to donuts they full pivot into open 'er up, roll back all covid protections, this is the new normal and we are just living with the consequences. the only other option is a hard lockdown to get to covid zero and they absolutely don't have the balls to do that. any other half measure is worthless and they know it.

covid-19: all gas or all brake

It's going to be a confusing and contradictory mess with multiple agencies backtracking and issuing retractions to statements.

Joe's government is really, really not handling this well in a way that should be genuinely very concerning for those who are dependent on a stable and predictable US state. It's one thing to be bad at what you're doing, the dangerous thing for a government to be is indecisive and confused.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

is the CDC et al still spitting out the lie that reinfection is “rare,” or have they silently conceded that yeah no poo poo you can get infected again

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

actionjackson posted:

can any medical people tell me what you are looking at here, obviously you're not supposed to see any "white" in the lung, but is there anything else you can notice besides that

the lungs should be dark. the right lung is diffusely opacified and looks like a premature baby’s lung. really bad. odds of that lung gaining normal function probably zero. the left lung looks all patchy and trash as well.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Gio posted:

is the CDC et al still spitting out the lie that reinfection is “rare,” or have they silently conceded that yeah no poo poo you can get infected again

They can probably thread the needle on that since 'rare' medically is different than 'rare' as far as normal people understand it, and only very pedantic dweebs pay attention to the CDC's guidance on that granular of a level.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Buck Wildman posted:

I'm at the DMV

I'm at the ICU

I'm at the combination DMV and ICU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

so I mean if the vaccines aren't really preventing infection after 2-4 months, are they just hoping we all get sick in that time frame enough that natural immunity (huge quotey fingers here) kicks in and prevents it from being anything other tha moderate infection in the majority population and the idea is that we can all go back to normal afterward? because that sounds insane but that's the general vibe I'm kind of getting.

there is no plan.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Is there any evidence at all to support the idea that getting COVID a 2nd or 3rd or 4th time is less severe?

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
Sacramento's breaking in its newly-renovated convention center with an anime convention this weekend.

Hm, I wonder how the region's handling covid.

Well, I'm sure it'll be fine.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

wait does my respirator not "protect others" the same way a cloth mask does?

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

"next week" is my favourite part of this. I know the announcement is gonna be "no boosters and OPEN HARDER" but Joe being too tired to do it today is :kiss:

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Gio posted:

I’m not sure about the CDC, but it seems to be at that weird folklore tipping point between “you can’t just use an anecdote about how you’ve personally gotten reinfected and scare people with it” and “nobody ever said you couldn’t get reinfected, don’t you follow the science?” in the last few weeks. Everybody seems to know somebody who got it twice, but it isn’t like official information that you’re allowed to know about or repeat yet unless you want to get yelled at

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

let the bodies hit the floor
let the bodies hit the floor
let the bodies hit the

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Even getting "just the flu bro" every 2-4 months forever would suuuck.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

open biden

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

I have no idea who this idiot is, but things are so upside down that I wasn't sure if he was saying that 37% masking outside is ridiculous because it is too low, or too high. from the comments it seems like he's chud so I guess he thinks that it is too high.

At my house we are 100% masking outside no matter what. Even in our own backyard. Our neighbor had a breakthrough case, (got tested prior to a trip and they caught it that he was positive) and ever since then we've made us and the kids mask outside, cause close encounters happen more frequently than you think!

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

T-cell immunity still exists even after the antibodies wane - but it takes a week or two to spin up and stomp out Delta, so that's why so many people are getting sick (and in some cases hospitalized)

My own theory is that T-cell memory is why the 2-dose series neutralized Wild Type and Beta so well - even after studies now show that 2 doses of Pfizer didn't provide dick as far as antibodies, the asymptomatic period for both Wild Type and Beta was long enough (~10 days) for T-cell memory to spin up and prevent symptoms

Delta's asymptomatic period is much shorter (~3 days) and T-cell memory doesn't have time to kick in and prevent symptoms

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

100 degrees Calcium posted:

it protects others way more than a cloth mask

both prevent droplet spread, neither prevent aerosol spread

plus you cant get covid if you're in a respirator so you're not gonna get sick and spread it

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Real Mean Queen posted:

I’m not sure about the CDC, but it seems to be at that weird folklore tipping point between “you can’t just use an anecdote about how you’ve personally gotten reinfected and scare people with it” and “nobody ever said you couldn’t get reinfected, don’t you follow the science?” in the last few weeks. Everybody seems to know somebody who got it twice, but it isn’t like official information that you’re allowed to know about or repeat yet unless you want to get yelled at

It happened to the starting QB of the Baltimore Ravens. Who still believes that you can't get it twice?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

What's even the point of the disclaimer?

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Zurtilik posted:

What's even the point of the disclaimer?

plausible deniability

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
[in extreme after taking horse paste voice]

let the bodies poo poo the floor
let the bodies poo poo the floor
let the bodies poo poo the

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

there's at least one study that shows the exhale valve as being as effective as a cloth mask

you can also wear a mask over the exhale valve if you want, or do what I did and pop the exhale valve cover off and put a patch of cloth inside (doesn't seem to have affected my breathing any)

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

YOU ARE REQUIRED TO BE VACCINATED just kidding come on in the death is warm

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

School Year Day 4: Nobody has updated the school dashboards date but now there are 11 positive cases

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

They are going to let it cull all it can and give the rest brain damage and poo poo through constant reinfection. Whatever personal measures one takes is just delaying the inevitable. It's monstrous.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Often Abbreviated posted:

"next week" is my favourite part of this. I know the announcement is gonna be "no boosters and OPEN HARDER" but Joe being too tired to do it today is :kiss:

Well they can't do it today because if it was any amount of restrictions - or even the suggestion of a more locked down behavior pattern for the american people, it would RUIN labor day weekend.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/JohnnyBench_5/status/1433851618252972032?s=20

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SplitSoul posted:

They are going to let it cull all it can and give the rest brain damage and poo poo through constant reinfection. Whatever personal measures one takes is just delaying the inevitable. It's monstrous.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Well, maybe, I haven’t seen anything hugely convincing one way or the other. The CDC, in their wisdom, will tell you both that exhalation valves are to be avoided at all costs, and that they filter as well or better than surgicals, depending on what page on their website you’re looking at.

The position I’ve landed on at this point is that, in almost every situation, I don’t care. Any time I’m wearing my elastomeric, there’s some jackass within eyeshot not wearing anything at all, and nobody is ever giving that guy any poo poo about his unfiltered exhaust. If the rule is that there aren’t any rules, and make no mistake that is exactly what the rule is, I’ll take my excellent protection and encourage anyone who wants to complain about it to also get some real protection. I’m not going to wear shittier gear so that somebody else can also wear shittier gear, that doesn’t make any sense.

If you’re super worried about it you can tie another mask around your mask, I do that if I’m going into somewhere that I consider to be sanctified ground like a vaccination site. If it’s just at the 7-11 or walking down the street, gently caress you, gear up or shut up.

Substandard posted:

It happened to the starting QB of the Baltimore Ravens. Who still believes that you can't get it twice?

I’ve just seen a bunch of libs on reddit being very precious about The Science on that one and saying it’s very rare or that there’s not enough data, which is the default reaction to information they don’t like and haven’t yet been forced to acknowledge definitively. It will be 100% “everyone always knew you can get reinfected” very soon

Real Mean Queen fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 3, 2021

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Good to know you can still buy the while seat, but only need the edge during these trying times

https://twitter.com/WLWT/status/1433846803238096897?s=20

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Do we have a guide to buying a respirator that anyone could link me? I have N95s but am not satisfied with the fit on them and I would like a half-face one or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://i.imgur.com/XYtbFC4.mp4