Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The SE is kind of a lateral move, it’s not that big of a jump from the 3 and seems to be around just to get the storage up from the 3’s lovely 8gb that needs to be restored every update now.

I would wait for a good sale on the 6 personally, the prices drop pretty fast after a refresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Yea wait a few weeks before even looking at Apple watches, the new ones are a redesign as well rather than an iterative update so if you bought a series 6 today you’d have a few weeks before her new watch looks old and busted

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The last rumor I saw on the case design is they're going to squared off edges like the iPads and phones are doing. So if that doesn't go over well maybe that S6 will be in hot demand!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The mock-ups look real nice. I wish they’d go to a circular design though, but I can see the reasons of rectangular faces for maximum screen real estate.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Great replies, had no idea a new design was on the horizon. She appreciates the advice and is just gonna wait to see what the new one looks like. Side note: whoever thought 8gb was enough for the series 3 was a real cool guy.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I got a "storage full" notification on my S2 during a bike ride yesterday. Thought it would ruin my workout tracking but it seemed to survive. It just wanted me to remove some music from my watch to make space.

Of course, there as no music (or anything else much) on my watch, and never has been... so a reboot freed up 3.5GB of space :v:

Definitely interested in a 7 or whatever newness comes out soon

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I have my s5 for 2 years. And i absolutely love the thing. One of the best purschases i have ever made. My s5 is still going strong. But im tempted to ugrade if the new functions are cool.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The battery on my S4 is fried (battery health says 80% and I don't have AppleCare so I'd have to pay to replace and why bother at this point), so I'm definitely getting whatever the S7 is at launch.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there a watch face that shows current time and time in another time zone, both in digital? I don’t understand Apple’s fascination with analog clocks. Especially tiny ones.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

smackfu posted:

Is there a watch face that shows current time and time in another time zone, both in digital? I don’t understand Apple’s fascination with analog clocks. Especially tiny ones.

Kind of. Modular lets you add a UTC clock.. but you can't configure the time zone it displays.

I'm with you on their analog addiction. The Infograph Modular lets you do the UTC clock too, but it's an analog format. gently caress off with that. Also the sunset/sunrise complication is the graphical one, not a digital clock. :argh:

I hope they overhaul the system someday, it's by far my biggest complaint with the watch. Modular does some things I like and some things I hate, Infograph Modular does other things I like and other things I hate. There is no peace to be had here.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

smackfu posted:

You can pick a time zone/city in infograph modular - you gotta set up the cities you wanna have for selection in the clock app on iPhone and then you can pick whatever time zone.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

xzzy posted:

Kind of. Modular lets you add a UTC clock.. but you can't configure the time zone it displays.

That’s interesting actually. Modular uses old style complications which do have a small digital world clock.

The Infograph Modular central complication shown above does technically do the job but the actual time is so small compared to the useless map.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why are you weirdos still using time zones like it's 1800? You should be using Swatch Internet Time.

Posted @709

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

smackfu posted:

The Infograph Modular central complication shown above does technically do the job but the actual time is so small compared to the useless map.

That's of Apple's MO with complications. It does everything it technically needs to but in a way no one actually likes. We live with it because customization is verboten.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

xzzy posted:

I'm with you on their analog addiction. The Infograph Modular lets you do the UTC clock too, but it's an analog format. gently caress off with that. Also the sunset/sunrise complication is the graphical one, not a digital clock. :argh:

I hope they overhaul the system someday, it's by far my biggest complaint with the watch. Modular does some things I like and some things I hate, Infograph Modular does other things I like and other things I hate. There is no peace to be had here.

Yeah same, I wish there was a choice of analogue or digital for every watch face. And the option to show seconds.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’ve been getting really bad battery drain on my SE in the last three days out of seemingly nowhere. I used to get easily a day and a half, with multiple outdoor workouts and now since like Monday it’s nearly dying by 9pm. Any ideas what’s going on? Battery health says 100% and I’m on the latest OS

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I’ve been getting really bad battery drain on my SE in the last three days out of seemingly nowhere. I used to get easily a day and a half, with multiple outdoor workouts and now since like Monday it’s nearly dying by 9pm. Any ideas what’s going on? Battery health says 100% and I’m on the latest OS

I will assume you’ve done a reboot of the watch? Most commonly is a weird stuck process that’s doing it.

If that doesn’t work a full wipe and repairing should fix it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Also make sure it’s a hard reboot. Hold the crown and side button until the screen goes blank, and comes back up with the Apple logo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thanks, will try those today and see what happens! I’d never even seen the low battery screen on this before so it was a surprise

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My S4 has been draining faster the past couple weeks too. It's Tim sending out the kill switch on old devices to force us to upgrade this fall. :tinfoil:

(actually it's just starting to get old, battery health is 84%)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

xzzy posted:

My S4 has been draining faster the past couple weeks too. It's Tim sending out the kill switch on old devices to force us to upgrade this fall. :tinfoil:

(actually it's just starting to get old, battery health is 84%)

That's about where I'm at with my battery on my launch S4. Personally, I've been replacing the watch when it no longer supports the latest WatchOS so we'll see how that works out for me this go around.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I’ve been having to charge my 6 around 5pm if I want it to last the full day. Typical usage plus an hour HIIT workout tracking. 88% health.

Seems less than optimal for being under a year old.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's really bad, you must have something in your blood that ruins batteries because your luck with them is poo poo.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mines not that bad but the battery is, and always will be, the thing I dislike most about the watch.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

That's really bad, you must have something in your blood that ruins batteries because your luck with them is poo poo.

:sigh:

e: You know, I’ve been running the iOS 15 beta on my phone, and I remember a few years ago there was a bug with iOS 12? 13? That ended up draining the poo poo out of the watch battery somehow.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Mines not that bad but the battery is, and always will be, the thing I dislike most about the watch.

Yep, it’s absolutely ridiculous that they can’t design a watch that lasts at least a few days. Garmins can last an eternity compared to AW and it’s my single biggest complaint.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 3, 2021

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I know that I have noticed an extra 10-15 percent daily drop on my battery since joining the beta. But I already do not use Always On Display because of previous issues where it drained it by an extra 30%.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I think I’ve only had my 3 for as long as I have (since 2017) because the battery was swapped in 2019 for a recall campaign.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I know Apple is all about their aesthetic, but it is pretty frustrating that basically every traditional watch maker has figured out how to make a thing waterproof and also be repairable, but Apple having none of that. Here's your block of glue, customer.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I think you don't understand conformal coating and its relationship to PCBs and their longevity but please keep complaining about how your designed-to-be-disposable computer on your wrist doesn't meet your needs.
:allears:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jony Ive parachute account spotted.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Crunchy Black posted:

I think you don't understand conformal coating and its relationship to PCBs

no poo poo nerd!!!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I know that I have noticed an extra 10-15 percent daily drop on my battery since joining the beta. But I already do not use Always On Display because of previous issues where it drained it by an extra 30%.
Do you do sleep tracking? If so, breathing rate enabled already, and is it useful?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I will upgrade my s3 to the new watch if it has an actually useful new sensor, or if it looks really really cool.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

no poo poo nerd!!!

lol

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

marktheando posted:

I will upgrade my s3 to the new watch if it looks really really cool.

:same:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

my battery is still hosed after a reboot, gonna have to try to wipe and reset :(

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I put the watchOS beta on mine last night just for shits and giggles, and it's annoying how they keep adding taps to do simple stuff. Like, to voice reply to a text message, you have to now tap the "appstore" icon (like the one in Messages on the phone) then tap voice, instead of just tapping the voice icon.

And now if you hold down on an app icon to delete it, instead of the icons jiggling with an X, a loving menu comes up and at the top asks if you want a grid or list view of your apps, then below, there's an edit apps button. And THEN it finally shakes the icons.

Goddamn, stop adding more taps to everything.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
That tracks with iOS behavior, lately, though, so unsurprising.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Do you do sleep tracking? If so, breathing rate enabled already, and is it useful?

I use AutoSleep to track my sleep. It does not have a breathing rate function.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

So I POTENTIALLY found the culprit to my battery drain. I tried a reboot to no avail but a few days later, I was checking if I'd installed any new apps lately and I remembered I'd installed Headspace to check out some of the audio stuff on it. I saw it installed a Watch App as well. I uninstalled both and haven't had any battery issues since, I'm back to getting 17 hours using less than 40% of the battery, even with the same level of workouts. Strange!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dang, that's just about the weakest watch update ever.

I'm sure the bigger screen is gonna be nice but it feels like they didn't do anything to make it a better fitness/health device and I was under the impression that was all they cared about. Makes me wonder if they had plans they needed to scrap because of pandemic related issues.