Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I hope MH3 has more Adventures!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

kinda easy to sell very well if every other set in standard sucks by comparison lol

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Maybe its just nostalgia but I still feel like Urza's block was way more broken and traumatic to the game than Eldraine - obviously more cards in Eldraine had to be banned but Urza's block literally featured decks that could win on turn 1 - utterly insane broken stuff that made the game solitaire, not even a two player game. And it was much earlier in the life of the game, so something that could have seriously derailed the game.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Mike N Eich posted:

Maybe its just nostalgia but I still feel like Urza's block was way more broken and traumatic to the game than Eldraine - obviously more cards in Eldraine had to be banned but Urza's block literally featured decks that could win on turn 1 - utterly insane broken stuff that made the game solitaire, not even a two player game. And it was much earlier in the life of the game, so something that could have seriously derailed the game.

I feel like it coming that early in the game's history makes it more excusable. They should have known better by the time Eldraine came out, but catastrophically missed over and over.

I'm sympathetic to the argument they made that trying to do cool and interesting things means accepting more misses, but both the magnitude and the number of misses was pretty ridiculous. I also think they're using that argument to cover for the bigger contributor to the problem being that they were aiming to add more cards directly into eternal formats.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 3, 2021

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Bugsy posted:

Woah, etb vs cast is a little different but 2 mana glimpse of nature with flashback seems very strong not even counting the enchantment part. Dont think that half matters for standard, but wow what a card.

e - etb means it works with reanimation and warp world style effects. :drat:
Card looks to be extremely nuts.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Since it specifies ETB rather than “cast”, that means tokens count as well.

Now what’s the best token producing option in standard to turn into a massive card draw?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The only egregious cards from the past couple years are like what, Oko and Omnath? Field and Uro were definitely too strong but don't strike me as "wow these are incredibly stupid to have been released into the wild"

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Sinteres posted:

Personally, I don't really think there's that much left to do with Eldraine.

For a set with like a dozen cards depicting dragons in their art, getting only 2 dragons in the set (4 with brawl decks) leaves some room open. The main storyline centering around the courts and having "the wilds" be this largely ancillary setting also leaves a door open. Dragons of Eldraine / Wilds of Eldraine - coming to a store near you in 2026.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Eej posted:

The only egregious cards from the past couple years are like what, Oko and Omnath? Field and Uro were definitely too strong but don't strike me as "wow these are incredibly stupid to have been released into the wild"

fires of invention was pretty obviously "okay, who and when are they gonna break this in half"

and once upon a time was pretty lol as well

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Mike N Eich posted:

Urza's block had a bunch of nutty and non-interactive stuff that could combo out and kill you early. So early, in fact, that playing traditional Magic (playing creatures, making trades, grinding out advantages) was kind of a non-starter; you played some bullshit, or you lost to the bullshit. But there was a bunch of bullshit you could play. The format wasn't healthy, but you also weren't quite as pidgeonholed into playing Exactly One bullshit deck.

2020 gave us like five Exactly One bullshit decks.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Froghammer posted:

I've actually been cruising U/B Magecraft to what's probably going to be low Diamond by the end of the season and I can assure you that the deck absolutely will not survive rotation. Show of Confidence is cool and all, but it'll whither on the vine without Opt, Defiant Strike, and Of One Mind.

Aren't they literally printing a better Opt next set anyways?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Arivia posted:

fires of invention was pretty obviously "okay, who and when are they gonna break this in half"

and once upon a time was pretty lol as well

I think coming off of Wilderness Rec, Fires was kinda like "eh". I don't consider Fires to be anywhere as bad as Oko. OUaT is a good one to throw on the pile too actually.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Arivia posted:

no but it does get cards sold and that's what wotc looks at most, let's be honest

Sure but sets with weaker cards like kaldheim sell very well too. If eternally rising levels of power were the singular takeaway wotc got then we would have had only eldraine level set power. Strixhaven was incredibly weak, and it was also pretty popular.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kPGgaig7O8

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I’d put money down that if you transported Urza’s Block Standard to today that even more cards from it would probably get banned than did the first time around.

There are just orders of magnitude more games being played now than back then, so a) formats would get even more solved, and b) problem cards stick out that much more.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Eej posted:

Didn't someone involved mention that during development lucky clover was considered ludicrously overpowered for its cost and they still didn't change it

Uro is way too strong. A game ending threat on his own, ramps, heals, draws, did it all. It's not a turn 1 game ending card in that kind of broken way, but it certainly dominated things.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Agreeing, since it is worth noting the standards for “ban worthy” have dropped significantly over the years

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Urza’s block kicked rear end. So many wacky cards

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

the Orb of Zot posted:

Agreeing, since it is worth noting the standards for “ban worthy” have dropped significantly over the years
Yeah. There were some pretty lovely formats in the 2005 - 2017 period that got no bans just because WotC prioritized not embarrassing themselves over fixing them. Nowadays a deck can get banned out just because it's annoying and persistent even if it isn't dominant (eg Cat/Oven).

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Eej posted:

Companions were wildly and obviously overpowered

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Well that's immediately going into every goofy GWx tokens EDH deck ever. Excited to deck myself with doubling season and storm herd now.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Vidmaster posted:

Well that's immediately going into every goofy GWx tokens EDH deck ever. Excited to deck myself with doubling season and storm herd now.

Imagine scute swarming after casting that and accidentally milling yourself to death

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Imagine scute swarming after casting that and accidentally milling yourself to death

:sickos: :getin:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Qwertycoatl posted:

Companions were wildly and obviously overpowered

It's been so long I forgot they errata'd the entire Companion mechanic

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

How did companions work originally?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Shrecknet posted:

remember the "miracles bracket" (0-0-1)?

I remember during onslaught / mirrodin standard, a player on Tooth + Nail won round 1 but offered a draw. By going 0-0-1 it ensured he wouldn't get any goblins matchups which was the only bad match-up.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

You didn't have to use the 3 mana first to make them operational, you could just cast them straight up.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

They essentially had their own commander zone that you could cast them from, rather than having to pay three to put them into your hand

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

If you met the requirements just start with a companion in your hand in addition to your seven cards.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sinteres posted:

You didn't have to use the 2 mana first to make them operational, you could just cast them straight up.

thetoughestbean posted:

They essentially had their own commander zone that you could cast them from, rather than having to pay three to put them into your hand

Lol. Wizards ftw

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

You didn't have to pay 3 to draw them, you could just cast them straight up

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lurrus was completely wrecking eternal formats, it was very dumb.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

sensei's divining top and jitte never got banned cause they had just had to ban a shitton of stuff from mirrodin so it's not like this song and dance is new. I'm just glad they're less reluctant to pull the trigger these days and hopefully Tibalt's gets the hammer soon

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sinteres posted:

Lurrus was completely wrecking eternal formats, it was very dumb.

Only card banned in vintage for power level!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Eej posted:

The only problem with Field was not having Ghost Quarter or Field of Ruin around, card seems perfectly cromulent otherwise.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Mat Cauthon posted:

The only problem with Field was not having Ghost Quarter or Field of Ruin around, card seems perfectly cromulent otherwise.

maybe in standard, but in modern it was hilarious in the Uro-Omnath 4c control deck. You could run 29 lands with mostly different names and reliably hit WURG turn 4. It even ran hour of promise to fetch your fields lmao.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I hate Lurrus especially in one of those Dimir rogue decks. If I get matched with one on arena I almost immediately wanna concede lol

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Yeah, the biggest problem with field was a complete lack of playable ways to interact with it in standard.

Although Field of Ruin is about to rotate so if WoTC prints too many good manlands or utility lands, we have a problem!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Froghammer posted:

I've actually been cruising U/B Magecraft to what's probably going to be low Diamond by the end of the season and I can assure you that the deck absolutely will not survive rotation. Show of Confidence is cool and all, but it'll whither on the vine without Opt, Defiant Strike, and Of One Mind.

I'm running basically the same deck and lmao we're doomed