Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ok for real whos your team
This poll is closed.
The Green Bay Packers 81 35.53%
The Chicago Bears 52 22.81%
The Minnesota Vikings 42 18.42%
The Detroit Lions 53 23.25%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I can't believe I rejected the family fandom of the Lions, only to choose the Bears to glom onto. Young me was an idiot, and now I have to suffer for their mistakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
The Packers are cool

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Hot Diggity! posted:

The Packers are cool

:hmmno:

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Throwback to 3 years ago when people actually thought this was debatable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c-TNpNF-qM

T-Square
May 14, 2009

The Smuggest Cat posted:

Hello I would like to introduce myself as a Bears fan that lives in Wisconsin. I imagine you'll see me off and on again in the thread throughout the season. I hope the Bears aren't 8-8 this season.

The service manager at my last job was a Bears fan, here in Wisconsin. He had no ties to Chicago or Illinois whatsoever. When I saw a bunch of Bears memorabilia on his desk I asked “Oh, are you originally from Illinois?”
“No”
“Got any family down there or?”
“Nope”
“Did you live down there for a while or something?”
“Nope”
“But why”

He predictably got a lot of poo poo on Monday mornings

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

T-Square posted:

The service manager at my last job was a Bears fan, here in Wisconsin. He had no ties to Chicago or Illinois whatsoever. When I saw a bunch of Bears memorabilia on his desk I asked “Oh, are you originally from Illinois?”
“No”
“Got any family down there or?”
“Nope”
“Did you live down there for a while or something?”
“Nope”
“But why”

He predictably got a lot of poo poo on Monday mornings

The reason, my good man, is: da Bears.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I’m from Wisconsin and transplanted to Illinois. It’s like getting the best of both worlds - a better quality of life/lifestyle, plus getting to root for a team that wins. :smug:

Don’t trust people who lived their whole lives in Illinois but root for the Packers, though. They’re unsavory, and usually racist.

The guy who lived his whole life in Wisconsin and roots for the Bears is obviously a masochist and/or degradation fetishist.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
There wasn’t a local pro team where I grew up and my no one in my family gave a poo poo about pro football so I picked the Bears as my team because they were good and had cool uniforms. I was also five years old.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I picked the Steelers as my team for a brief period when I was like 5 because I thought it was actually Stealers and to me that was cool as gently caress

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I’ll always be grateful my local comic book shop growing up was owned by an old hippy dude from Wisconsin. Got hooked on the NFL watching 90s Packers games on a cruddy little TV while playing Magic: The Gathering. :3:

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
My partner's family is from Western Michigan & the UP and have always rooted for the Packers, so that's my team.

Not looking forward to when they start sucking.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

T-Square posted:

I picked the Steelers as my team for a brief period when I was like 5 because I thought it was actually Stealers and to me that was cool as gently caress

So why aren't you a Bucs fan??

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

sweet geek swag posted:

Have any of these people seen the Bears o-line?

But I've been assured they're not good but also not terrible

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
loving lol noted Packers crank Bob McGinn is now working with noted idiot Tyler Dunne.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Blowjob Overtime posted:

So why aren't you a Bucs fan??

Sorry, my non-Packers allegiance lies with my new friend and sweet baby boy Justin Herbert this year. Maybe next year!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm from the UK so basically all my NFL supporting group of friends have picked their own teams. At least with the Bears no one can accuse me of being a glory hunter like the Pats fan

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Anti-Hero posted:

My partner's family is from Western Michigan & the UP and have always rooted for the Packers, so that's my team.

Not looking forward to when they start sucking.

Don't worry, this planet isn't making it to 2050, so you won't have to worry about that.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Party Boat posted:

I'm from the UK so basically all my NFL supporting group of friends have picked their own teams. At least with the Bears no one can accuse me of being a glory hunter like the Pats fan

I'm from the UK, and picked the Lions almost 30 years ago. I absolutely cannot be accused a glory hunter, nor can my late dad who was a Bears fan, nor my best mate who lumped in with the Chargers over a decade ago

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I can't even imagine being a lions fan. Why even bother

At least the bucks got a fluke title due to covid, the lions will never win anything ever despite having amazing players

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Fandom can be a funny thing. I'm born and raised in Chicagoland, and I was 12 when the Bears won the Superbowl in '85-'86. And I was a big Bears fan then, but less so over the years as the Bears started to suck through the early '90s. Then in '96 I moved to Dallas, and suddenly being a Bears fan became part of my cultural heritage. I found the bar in town where I could watch the Bears games every Sunday, I cheered with a couple dozen other Bears fans on the rare occasions that we won, and commiserated with them over beer and burgers on the much more frequent occasions that we lost. And since then, even after I moved away from Dallas to Vegas, then back to Illinois, I've lived and died with the Bears. Mostly died, but there've been a few shining moments of glory here and there. Kinda wish Payton and Rex hadn't wrecked the big Superbowl party I threw in 2006, but hey, at least I had a reason to throw one!

(Also as a consequence of living in Dallas I learned to hate the Cowboys and Cowboys fans. gently caress the Cowboys. :colbert: )

The thing is, even if my hopes for the 2021 season are pretty low, my overall feelings for the Bears future are probably the highest they've been since 1984 when you could see that the Bears were on the verge of something great. Fields, assuming he develops and manages not to die out there, has the potential to be the best thing that's happened to the Bears in decades. So I'll be watching this year to see how the kid plays once he replaces Dalton, whether that's in week two, six, twelve, or whenever. If we somehow manage to win more than we lose and make it to the playoffs, that's just gravy. But THIS season is about getting Fields through the rookie QB pitfalls as smoothly as possible.

Just please don't gently caress it up, Bears. :pray:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

jng2058 posted:

assuming he develops and manages not to die out there

im so sorry

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

jng2058 posted:

Just please don't gently caress it up, Bears. :pray:

im so sorry

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I look forward to Fields looking like poo poo because of that o line, Robinson/Hicks leaving and not even having a first round pick to enjoy.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Hand Row posted:

I look forward to Fields looking like poo poo because of that o line, Robinson/Hicks leaving and not even having a first round pick to enjoy.

Jen X posted:

im so sorry

GNU Order posted:

im so sorry

:sigh:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
My family moved to SE Michigan in 2000, just as I was turning 8. Both my parents were Eagles fans, but my dad said you should always root for the hometown team. One of my early football memories is when my dad took me to Ford Field for a game and encouraged me to root for Joey.

we lost.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
After that John fox 3-13 year I said I was totally done with the bears if they couldn't get a top qb and now they've gotten 2 in 5 years!!!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

is there a single poster in this entire thread rooting for any of the teams that is anything but 100% sure that the bears are going to completely destroy justin fields's career

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

is there a single poster in this entire thread rooting for any of the teams that is anything but 100% sure that the bears are going to completely destroy justin fields's career

I only think they might. But it's also possible he'll be good enough to rise above dubious coaching and a bad line. I present the case study of Justin Herbert by way of example.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Hey! The Bears could get sold and the new ownership has a fire sale.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the question is whether fields will look incredibly good and then get injured due to something that is completely the bears' fault or whether he'll look like garbage on the bears because the team and org is so lovely and then have a career renaissance for someone else and immediately win 8 MVPs while the bears draft a clone of bruce gradkowski.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Acebuckeye13 posted:

My family moved to SE Michigan in 2000, just as I was turning 8. Both my parents were Eagles fans, but my dad said you should always root for the hometown team. One of my early football memories is when my dad took me to Ford Field for a game and encouraged me to root for Joey.

we lost.

Wow, that's child abuse!

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I hope and pray for the destruction of the careers of every single quarterback who has never played for the Lions, as well as most of the ones who have

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI

jng2058 posted:

Fandom can be a funny thing. I'm born and raised in Chicagoland, and I was 12 when the Bears won the Superbowl in '85-'86. And I was a big Bears fan then, but less so over the years as the Bears started to suck through the early '90s. Then in '96 I moved to Dallas, and suddenly being a Bears fan became part of my cultural heritage. I found the bar in town where I could watch the Bears games every Sunday, I cheered with a couple dozen other Bears fans on the rare occasions that we won, and commiserated with them over beer and burgers on the much more frequent occasions that we lost. And since then, even after I moved away from Dallas to Vegas, then back to Illinois, I've lived and died with the Bears. Mostly died, but there've been a few shining moments of glory here and there. Kinda wish Payton and Rex hadn't wrecked the big Superbowl party I threw in 2006, but hey, at least I had a reason to throw one!

(Also as a consequence of living in Dallas I learned to hate the Cowboys and Cowboys fans. gently caress the Cowboys. :colbert: )

I think you went to the same bears bar my dad went to see the viking games at lmao. Consequently he's the reason why I'm a Vikings fan when most my family is Cowboy fans.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

GenericMartini posted:

I think you went to the same bears bar my dad went to see the viking games at lmao. Consequently he's the reason why I'm a Vikings fan when most my family is Cowboy fans.

Place is long gone, as far as I can tell. It was "Andy's Halfyard House" on Greenville just north of Northwest Highway. It was odd because it had been built as a medieval style tavern that used to have the servers dressed up in costumes and doing the whole in-character medieval theme, but by the time I found the place, they'd given up on the gimmick and installed a bunch of widescreen TVs and became a sort of sports bar...but still with these huge wooden tables and medieval decorations all over the place.

Loved the burgers, though.

Of course that was the best part of living in Dallas, they've got great beef, be it burgers, steak, or BBQ. Too bad about all the Cowboy fans. :rolleyes:

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Yeah apparently my dad took me there when I was a baby. I don't know anything about the place besides it was in Greenville and it was the only place he could see games. Sad I never got to experience the burgers tho.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I grew up in Minnesota in the 70's watching the Purple People eaters trash offenses. I still have a special place in my heart for that group of players.

Drew Pearson pushed off.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

bruce gradkowski

heckuva reference there

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I'm from the UK, and picked the Lions almost 30 years ago. I absolutely cannot be accused a glory hunter, nor can my late dad who was a Bears fan, nor my best mate who lumped in with the Chargers over a decade ago

As another Brit fan of an NFC North team, I absolutely can be accused of being a gloryhunter because when I finally picked a team after watching the highlights on Channel 4 for a few years I ended up picking the Packers, in 1996.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hot Diggity! posted:

The Packers are cool

I've done some heavy stat crunching as well as deep personal reflection on this post and determined:

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

My cousin, born here in WI, moved away to OR at about age 10 or so, then sorta bounced around the west coast and has ended up with her husband in Phoenix, still decks out her entire living room in Packer swag, gets dressed up for every game, and has a little Packer tail-gate for every game they're able to catch.
She bleeds Green and Gold harder than almost anyone I know, so yea, fandom and your ties to it are deep and personal. It's a beautiful thing.

one of my best memories with her was hanging our arms off the upper deck of lambeau looking out over Green Bay during one of the first Family Nights back before they closed in the 'rim' with the luxury boxes and stuff

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 4, 2021