Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I'll probably play this when it comes out and I appreciate the nazi talk tbh because I did not know that particular appropriation and would like to not come off as a nazi in game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

SUNKOS posted:

It does, but implying people are Nazis for liking non-Nazi cosmetic items in a video game in a thread that isn't even about that game is absurd and toxic. If that is your only contribution and your response is "gently caress you" to anyone who points out how vile it is then I think you should take a break from the internet and get some fresh air rather than being obnoxious to people on a video game forum.

I was very clear on not saying everyone who likes them are nazis but adding something completely random that would be highly attractive to nazis is bad. You dismissed it as 'spewing nazi crap.' Stop with that high and mighty poo poo. Reach had tons and tons of customization options without adding this kind of stuff.

It is being discussed here because there are only like 10 Halo posters on this whole forum, at least until Infinite comes out, so having 2 threads would be absurd. They only get referenced here now because people don't want to deal with anything and try to push it to a thread they can ignore.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

External Organs posted:

I'll probably play this when it comes out and I appreciate the nazi talk tbh because I did not know that particular appropriation and would like to not come off as a nazi in game.

Just don't be a dumbshit with your clan tag or username and you're good

Personally, everyone should put their clan down as The Bullfrogs and jump feet first into last place, like me

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

External Organs posted:

It's not in the game so you don't have to worry about it, and even if it were you're going to struggle finding people that think you are one if you wear it.

Veotax posted:

It's being talked about in here because this is the only Halo thread, as far as I'm aware. The MCC thread got closed when this one was started.

The Halo MCC thread is open and available for posting in right now, so talking about it here is essentially just trolling and leading to confusion as seen with the poster I quoted above who thought the armor was present in Halo Infinite when it isn't.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

SUNKOS posted:

The Halo MCC thread is open and available for posting in right now, so talking about it here is essentially just trolling and leading to confusion as seen with the poster I quoted above who thought the armor was present in Halo Infinite when it isn't.

Aw jeez. I'm doing my part! :patriot:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

SUNKOS posted:

That's recent then, because it was closed and I imagine no one else knew it was open. See the start of page 3.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
They're not trying to find out why the discussion was here in good faith, they are just trying to shut it down because they don't like it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Aquasnake posted:

I might just be very naive and not know what's going on, but why exactly do people think nazis like dressing like Romans? They're literally thousands of years apart.

Just trust us its a thing. White supremacists co-opted crusader imagery and language a few years ago and you see a ton of it in Chiv 2 and For Honor. Romans being pretty fascist (literally where the term Fascism comes from) its also a thing, 100%. Mussolini used Roman imagery.

I don't think that means you're bad for wearing knight armor in a game but we should listen and consider when people discuss these issues for sure.

SUNKOS posted:

Also, I don't know why this Nazi crap is being spewed here when that armor is for Halo 3

This is super lame dude, please no.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 3, 2021

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Shiroc posted:

They're not trying to find out why the discussion was here in good faith, they are just trying to shut it down because they don't like it.

I'm aware, I'm just not very eloquent so I'm pretty non-confrontational with bullshit like this.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Veotax posted:

I'm aware, I'm just not very eloquent so I'm pretty non-confrontational with bullshit like this.

Reasonable approach. The joke of the whole thing was that the conversation had pretty much wound down anyway. Points were made, conflicts were resolved, further reading was available and things were moving back to general Halo talk. Then clownshoes poo poo.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
e: People are going to take this as a weird call out, instead of a joke.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 3, 2021

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Shiroc posted:

It's not good faith when you don't post about it in the appropriate thread and don't post about it in all the other threads for games that feature similar imagery. If you were sincere you would be, there's certainly more prominent targets for your ire. Instead all you can do is post "gently caress you" to someone pointing out the toxicity and now resort to a strawman, and that is definitely not indicative of good faith. You're seemingly determined to derail the thread into anger at a different game featuring cosmetic armor that resembles a crusader and really, you have a lot of threads to start posting in if that makes you so furious, and that's not even taking into account other co-opted imagery such as vikings etc.

Shiroc posted:

clownshoes poo poo.

Your insults to myself and the OP further highlight your lack of sincerity, you even got overly aggressive with them despite the work that they've put into creating a safe environment in the community whereas you've brought nothing but hostility. Seriously, give the trolling a break and stop with the petty tantrum because you were called out on your nonsense. I suggested taking a break earlier but for some reason you're eager to drag this out and disrupt the thread and nothing you are complaining about is even present in Halo Infinite :shrug:

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm having trouble following your logic, are you saying Halo MC is a safe space created by Microsoft?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Well I highlighted unwarranted aggression towards the OP despite them creating a safe space so I'm having trouble following your logic unless this is another attempt at a poorly thought-out snipe akin to your prior post that you were wise to edit. To clarify things however, this is what I'm referring to:

Agoat posted:

Yes, the armors are here. Yes, there are going to be times where people are going to be lovely with them. lovely people aren't new to Halo, but looking to label people as nazis over armor choice sure is.

You really aren't being part of any solution.

The idea that I don't get it is an absolute joke considering I literally put together a Halo community specifically because of the toxicity you get from matchmaking. I've spent well over a year crafting a literal "safe space" to learn without having to worry about being treated poorly.

Now that that's settled, how's about that Halo Infinite video game?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
what the gently caress is wrong with you

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hopefully they don't reference the space nazis from Gundam also

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

SUNKOS posted:

It's not good faith when

You should stop. I don't read your posts as particularly good faith, I read them as overly hostile defensiveness and exaggeration. Saying it's literally trolling to post about halo in a halo thread is nonsense, especially when the MCC thread was closed temporarily and the confusion is reasonable. But you assumed the absolute worst case and inflamed a situation that was otherwise over and handled reasonably maturely by everyone else.

It's really fine to just admit the misread and do better next time on asking questions first like 'hey are you sure this isn't better for mcc' rather than all this. Quoting Agoat, who's been levelheaded after accepting a callout no less, in an attempt to justify your lack of same is ... not as good a look for you as you think.

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 3, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
e: not worth it

Thanks for everyone who has been reasonable about the issue, was willing to consider it and will move forward with the information how they will.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 3, 2021

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Do we know of any new vehicles yet? I really liked the mech that they introduced in Halo 4 and I hope that aspect of the sandbox has grown along with the rest of the game. There's a great deal of vehicles already (I think the trailer showed the Brute chopper returning from Halo 3 which is awesome) but they could certainly mix things up with different themes for different maps (e.g. Covenant, Brutes & Promethean) if they design for it. Given the campaign enemies I think they have a good opportunity to add more Brute vehicles.

...and once again I'll just say to give it a break :shrug:

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

To save the thread I will say that I got to play some Infinite multiplayer and found it to be the most fun playing Halo since couch 1vs1 pistol+grenade vs. Warthog battles on Blood Gulch.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I felt like my shields were kind of weak even with overshields and I'm not sure what the clambering mechanic is for. Also the drop shield deploys way too slowly and sprinting feels pointless. I am old and tired though.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Do we know if custom armor is available in single player like in Doom Eternal where Doomguy can be wearing wacky poo poo in cutscenes or is it exclusively multiplayer as in the past games?

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
The horns on the new MCC helmets remind me that I'm horny

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RBA Starblade posted:

Hopefully they don't reference the space nazis from Gundam also

Chief is Green. Zakus are green. Uh oh

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arc Hammer posted:

Chief is Green. Zakus are green. Uh oh

As long as they don't put a little beady eye on the Gungnir helmet we're safe

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
This is a Halo Infinite post about 343 Industries' Halo Infinite in the Halo Infinite thread

Given the apparent self conscious throwback to older Halos after the relative disappointments of Halo 4 and 5, I hope that 343 is taking it as a time to get back to Halo gameplay fundamentals and straightforward storytelling but not a retrenchment around long dated 'core gamer' demographic stereotypes. Given the dearth of actual Halo Infinite information so close to release, 343's overall studio priorities are only really being shown in their recent work for The Master Chief Collection, which have some questionable choices. As someone who only got back into the Microsoft gaming ecosystem because of having enjoyed older Halos, looking forward to Infinite and who does not fit into that demographic, it would be disappointing if the game ended up not being something I want to play. Older Halo games had their problems, some of which have been discussed in the other thread, but you expect more from games releasing in 2021 than 10-20 years ago.

Making Halo Infinite inclusive to as many people as possible is the best for the long term health of Halo Infinite player population and the Halo franchise going forward.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Veotax posted:

It's being talked about in here because this is the only Halo thread, as far as I'm aware. The MCC thread got closed when this one was started.
It was re-opened and literally nobody here cared.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
In Infinite news, Technical Preview Outcomes

The cliffs notes:
  • Auto-sprint and color options for the damage system colours and marks put down on the to-do list for post-launch.
  • Sound updates for Needler, Plasma Pistol and Gravity Hammer coming in next public flight.
  • More granular controls for voice volume (Personal AI, Spartan Chatter, Announcer) on the to-do list for post-launch.
  • Daily Challenges coming in final version, providing regular XP as you play matches.
  • More bot tweaks coming, to make them less predictable (ie. not all taking same route at match start) and less likely to get confused and stop doing stuff.
  • Swapping between different weapon drills and untimed weapon drills coming post-launch, along with more weapon drills and more drills in general
  • Combat Sensor updated to be more like the old games' motion tracker, showing all movement except crouch-waling. Coming in next public flight.
  • Personal AIs will have voice previews and a little less line repetition in next public flight. Possible for post-launch to add more VO lines over time and/or a voice frequency slider.
  • Medals will look bigger and medal-ier in the launch version.
  • Next public flight will make your opponent's shield status (overshield, full, weakened, broken...) more visually obvious.
  • More friend/foe recognition options, like toggling outlines, might not make it in until post-launch.
  • Names and tags not appearing above people's heads was a bug. Might not be fixed for next public flight, but will be for launch.
  • Some tuning done to S7 Sniper for next flight, no changes planned to Gravity Hammer.
  • Bug where screenshake was present even when turned off has been fixed for next public flight.
  • Drop Wall will take less time to deploy in next public flight.
  • Weapon cradle in bottom right of screen will be given a post-launch legibility pass
  • Improvements to UI to make secondary grenade type visible coming "in a future update"
  • HUD options and menu layout will evolve every season.
  • Next public test flight will be 4v4 Arena and Big Team Battle!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

The Kins posted:

It was re-opened and literally nobody here cared.

Its because there is no point in two Halo threads with how little Halo discussion there actually is. Once Infinite comes out, this one will get more traffic, the other one will get buried and anyone looking to ask about or discuss old Halo will already be here and it makes no sense to break up that conversation unless somehow there is just too much nitty gritty talk about different Halos in 2021.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I'm happy to update the OP with MCC and make this a series megathread if y'all want. Just let me know.

Any more arguments will be solved by 1v1 BRs on Guardian so unless you're ready to do that then no more arguing!

Actually I would love to do friendly 1v1s with any goons up for it

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Shiroc posted:

This is a Halo Infinite post about 343 Industries' Halo Infinite in the Halo Infinite thread

Given the apparent self conscious throwback to older Halos after the relative disappointments of Halo 4 and 5, I hope that 343 is taking it as a time to get back to Halo gameplay fundamentals and straightforward storytelling but not a retrenchment around long dated 'core gamer' demographic stereotypes. Given the dearth of actual Halo Infinite information so close to release, 343's overall studio priorities are only really being shown in their recent work for The Master Chief Collection, which have some questionable choices. As someone who only got back into the Microsoft gaming ecosystem because of having enjoyed older Halos, looking forward to Infinite and who does not fit into that demographic, it would be disappointing if the game ended up not being something I want to play. Older Halo games had their problems, some of which have been discussed in the other thread, but you expect more from games releasing in 2021 than 10-20 years ago.

Making Halo Infinite inclusive to as many people as possible is the best for the long term health of Halo Infinite player population and the Halo franchise going forward.

Everyone posting and reading this thread is looking forward to playing Infinite with you!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
One thing that got me really excited for this game is how I don't think I've heard 343 mention the word "competitive" even once

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

lol Shiroc posting earnestly about real issues and getting a bunch of sweaty "gamers rise up" posts in response.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Tighclops posted:

One thing that got me really excited for this game is how I don't think I've heard 343 mention the word "competitive" even once
Oh don't worry, they've talked a bunch about eSports, it was just a while back and they're madly rushing to ship a game so

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Animal Friend posted:

lol Shiroc posting earnestly about real issues and getting a bunch of sweaty "g卐mers rise up" posts in response.

Fixed

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Animal Friend posted:

lol Shiroc posting earnestly about real issues and getting a bunch of sweaty "gamers rise up" posts in response.

Real issues now including a costume in a video game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Peachfart posted:

Dude stop defending it. If you don't care ignore it, but this is really loving gross.

Do not mock people for being concerned about toxic racism in videogames its a legit loving concern.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Peachfart posted:

If there was a Waffen SS costume in a shooter videogame it would absolutely be an issue, don't pretend it wouldn't.

I'm one of those people that does not want to be thought of as a Nazi just for wearing a costume in a videogame, but I am 100% sympathetic with people being uncomfortable with specific costumes that can / would be appropriated by lovely people with lovely ideals.

Is there a way to set up potentially problematic costumes that make it obvious you're not one of the lovely people? Or is it best just to steer clear?

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

NumptyScrub posted:

Is there a way to set up potentially problematic costumes that make it obvious you're not one of the lovely people? Or is it best just to steer clear?

Trans pride color scheme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

NumptyScrub posted:

If there was a Waffen SS costume in a shooter videogame it would absolutely be an issue, don't pretend it wouldn't.

I'm one of those people that does not want to be thought of as a Nazi just for wearing a costume in a videogame, but I am 100% sympathetic with people being uncomfortable with specific costumes that can / would be appropriated by lovely people with lovely ideals.

The problem with dogwhistle poo poo is that you can't really communicate that you're actually cool to a stranger, which obviously super sucks. Even if your friends all know you're cool, its still going to be weird that you choose the thing, especially when the perfect Halo helmet, ODST, already exists in most of the games.

That's why its important to not let white supremacists get a foothold in the first place and to hold the line. It would be easier to assume best intent when you know the zone isn't flooded with bad actors.

Context is relevant. A game about Romans, sure, everyone will have roman armor so it doesn't mean anything in of itself. I used to work with a guy who was from India and a practicing Hindu who wore a bracelet with a swastika on it. I did have a 'wait what?' reaction when I first saw it but in context, sure, makes sense why he has it. Someone with a swastika in online games might just be someone from a religion who uses it but probably not.

Symbols can be reclaimed if its something worth reclaiming but that's more of a collective effort, not a 'gently caress you I just like this armor' individual action.