Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

smoobles posted:

simply lol if America gets owned by a storm named Larry.

Leisure 'Cane Larry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
not insolvent. payments will get reduced to 78%; which isn’t great; but also isn’t the same as social security is shutting down as being portrayed.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Pryor on Fire posted:

It was buried deep in the news what with all the disasters but the gov updated the numbers and now Social Security is projected to be insolvent in 12 years.

death to america

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

death to america

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Nodelphi posted:

Hey, just an update: I’m alive, made it through the storm, a tree fell on a power line then caught fire and caught my neighbor’s home on fire, he got out ok.

Have some roof damage and had a bunch of water in the house. Had a generator but the serpentine belt broke. Replaced it with a jury rigged lawnmower belt but that melted under the strain. Oh well. No water or power at the moment.

The hospitals are in pretty dire straits, we continue to see a lot of covid cases (I am now fully recovered btw) plus the nursing homes decided to do some truly heinous things and now hospitals are even more overwhelmed with sick old people.

Going to get back to work, I hope all the other goons affected by the current disasters are doing well. We’ll get through this!

solidarity fellow goon

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

death to america
:d2a:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

It was buried deep in the news what with all the disasters but the gov updated the numbers and now Social Security is projected to be insolvent in 12 years.

should probably instantly solve all problems with funding for it by removing the income cap, imho

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Philadelphia's mayor Kenney was asked about people swimming boating and tubing in our new flood-created poo poo canal.

He said, "Just don't do stupid crap"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Philadelphia's mayor Kenney was asked about people swimming boating and tubing in our new flood-created poo poo canal.

He said, "Just don't do stupid crap"

man wait until he finds out what city he's mayor of

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Epic High Five posted:

should probably instantly solve all problems with funding for it by removing the income cap, imho

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Pryor on Fire posted:

it's fine because in 10 years, anyone who would be old and poor enough to need it is gonna be dying by 60 from SARS 6

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

empty whippet box posted:

fart of nothingburger storm imo.

Until the jetstream just peaces out as it's been known to do recently and it takes a buttonhook left into Hampton Roads or NJ/NYC.

And Social Security's going to be gone far sooner. The "twelve year" figure assumes nothing ELSE bad will happen that'll cause a run on the system.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Until the jetstream just peaces out as it's been known to do recently and it takes a buttonhook left into Hampton Roads or NJ/NYC.

And Social Security's going to be gone far sooner. The "twelve year" figure assumes nothing ELSE bad will happen that'll cause a run on the system.

the boomer remover is here to help

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the reservoir next to my house still has like 6 ft til it over tops so i say bring it on

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

iirc i think that's one of those articles that gets put out every ten years to justify cutting social security, bipartisan solutions and all that

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Tax the water rich.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They've been saying Social Security is a decade from insolvency since, like, 1976

The government prints the money it can't go bankrupt

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

They've been saying Social Security is a decade from insolvency since, like, 1976

The government prints the money it can't go bankrupt

The government can't go bankrupt but they can just make something up and stop paying people. For instance, if a pandemic roars through the nation three or four times and kills or cripples a shitton of people and they want to stop retirement from existing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Complications posted:

The government can't go bankrupt but they can just make something up and stop paying people. For instance, if a pandemic roars through the nation three or four times and kills or cripples a shitton of people and they want to stop retirement from existing.

Oh certainly, but that doesn't mean we have to believe their lies and parrot them to each other.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

If it goes insolvent that means folks get 70% of expected or some poo poo. I've never assumed I'll get full poo poo or anythi because I'm 30 yers from retiring

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Complications posted:

Why do that? They have the money. There is no amount of money they don't have. When they don't have it, they can print it. Hyperinflation comes long before anything 'runs out'. There's no finite supply.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

not Larry! but to the tune of ~ not lenny! ~

https://youtu.be/dm0HaOU69Qc

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
I thought covid killing a bunch of old people was helping social security tho

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So I think Ida killed more people from flooding in the northeast as basically a giant rain cloud than it did with 150 mph winds

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

So I think Ida killed more people from flooding in the northeast as basically a giant rain cloud than it did with 150 mph winds

its not even close. like 10 dead from landfall and 50 from the north east floods.

edit: really gonna depend on how many nursing home patients drop dead down south before they turn the power back on though.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

CHUDs have been claiming social security is ten years away from collapse since the 80's

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Complications posted:

I think the government can go "bankrupt" if the Treasury is unable to issue bills, notes, or bonds which I believe an happen if we hit the debt ceiling and default. Luckily is arbitrary and we are not a country run by imbeciles who wouldn't ignore this.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

CHUDs have been claiming social security is ten years away from collapse since the 80's

Yeah, but with the glut of Boomers getting ready to claim it along with COVID the broken clock might actually come up right this time.

Social Security only had to stay solvent long enough for THEM to claim their benefits. The rest of us can suck it for all they care.

Anyway, don't reply to this. This is the *weather doomer* thread and this segue has a definite potential for :supaburn:-ing.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Mr Hootington posted:

I think the government can go "bankrupt" if the Treasury is unable to issue bills, notes, or bonds which I believe an happen if we hit the debt ceiling and default. Luckily is arbitrary and we are not a country run by imbeciles who wouldn't ignore this.

your future is in the hands of Ted Cruz.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

oh no, I can’t claim social security in the 2050s
lol

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Virigoth posted:

Tax the water rich.

I'm hauling this down to the coast tomorrow. It's destined for Baton Rouge (~450 gallons of drinking water)

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic/status/1433940674856947725?s=19

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

freeasinbeer posted:

not insolvent. payments will get reduced to 78%; which isn’t great; but also isn’t the same as social security is shutting down as being portrayed.

the trust fund will be insolvent. pay-ins and pay-outs will still occur. it's just that the pay-outs will shrink, the pay-ins will increase, or both. loving boomers

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I thought covid killing a bunch of old people was helping social security tho

50 million people on unemployment is decreasing receipts faster, but not like it matters cause money isn’t real.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Spergin Morlock posted:

the trust fund will be insolvent. pay-ins and pay-outs will still occur. it's just that the pay-outs will shrink, the pay-ins will increase, or both. loving boomers

or they could just... fund social security lol

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

(snip)

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

yellowD posted:

or they could just... fund social security lol

the hurricanes are doing there part and so can you! invest in blue sheds!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AppleNippleBOB posted:

I'm hauling this down to the coast tomorrow. It's destined for Baton Rouge (~450 gallons of drinking water)

Where did you get water in goon bags?

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Where did you get water in goon bags?

a garage