Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Falkenrath Pit Fighter
R
Creature - Vampire Warrior
1R, Discard a card, sacrifice a Vampire: Draw two cards. Activate only if an opponent lost life this turn.
2/1

A good red 1 drop! God I'm glad to see Embercleave go so we can get these again.

Curse of Leeches

2B
Enchantment - Aura Curse
Enchant Player
When this card transforms into Curse of Leeches, attach it to a player.
At the beginning of enchanted player's upkeep, that player loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
Daybound

Bloodsucking Darkleech
Creature - Leech Horror
Lifelink
Nightbound
4/4

It's a bad draw engine but also does a bit of burn damage.

Ancestral Mirror
1B
Artifact
1,T, pay 1 life, discard a card: Draw a card, then mill a card. Then place a ritual counter on the Ancestral Mirror. Then, if there are 3 or more ritual counters on it, remove them all and transform it. Activate only as a sorcery.

Inherited Demon
Black Creature - Demon
Flying
2B: Exile target creature from a graveyard, Put a +1/+1 counter on Inherited Demon.
4/4

I'm liking the R/G werewolf tribal deck so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Eight-Six posted:

I'm running basically the same deck and lmao we're doomed
It's not a Tier 1 deck for sure, but oooh man. Oooh. Defiant Strike into Show of Confidence into swinging for 15 sure feels good.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

the Orb of Zot posted:

Yeah, the biggest problem with field was a complete lack of playable ways to interact with it in standard.

Although Field of Ruin is about to rotate so if WoTC prints too many good manlands or utility lands, we have a problem!

Ghost Quarter will almost certainly get a reprint in one of the Innistrads

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

what parts of the video did you disagree with?

the idea that eldraine sold well because the pandemic didnt let people sell or trade cards seemed a bit silly to me. like sure, yeah. but people also count not play paper at all! that seems like a way more important effect that goes in the opposite direction

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

babypolis posted:

the idea that eldraine sold well because the pandemic didnt let people sell or trade cards seemed a bit silly to me

The pandemic was actually a huge boost for the entire collectibles industry due to the factors it created. Just a lot of bored people with stimulus money to spend it seems. Kind of nuts actually.

I don't agree with his point that people not being able to spend money at their LGS was the main factor, but it was a small factor.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The popularity of the game was on the rise before the pandemic, and I don't think there's any indication that anything a lot of the established players complain about is hurting the game in any tangible way. I don't like some of what they're doing, and do think the game has become more predatory in some ways, but Arena's still the best ever pathway to actually playing Magic that's ever existed, and instead of cannibalizing sales it still seems to be actively increasing the number of paper players too as far as I can tell. Maybe Arena's covering up some underlying issues that could prove to be problems down the line, maybe they've gotten so good at whale hunting that they can afford to lose some less invested players, or maybe people are voting with their wallets and it turns out none of the poo poo people complain about actually matters at the end of the day beyond individual preference. :shrug:

On that note, I don't know if I'll ever play the game or not, but I hope Flesh and Blood actually succeeds so there's at least some kind of new blood in the paper market.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 3, 2021

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Sinteres posted:

You didn't have to use the 3 mana first to make them operational, you could just cast them straight up.

Are you loving kidding me??? How . . .

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mikeraskol posted:

Every deck in every format was playing companions

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Black Lotus -> Lurrus -> recast Lotus was the reason that it's the only card banned in Vintage that isn't an ante or chaos orb/falling star effect

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Every deck in every format was playing companions

I mean, that makes sense if you could just straight up cast them. That is absolutely ludicrous.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The couple months after Ikoria with the original companion rule was probably the lowest confidence I ever had in the future of MtG. Just thinking about playing against one of 10 cards in every single eternal constructed format forever after just induced despair.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

the Orb of Zot posted:

Now what’s the best token producing option in standard to turn into a massive card draw?

I don't know poo poo about standard, but...

+

Also, I want to thank WotC for adding another word to my lexicon. I never knew "coven" was, by itself, a word and wasn't just the root for a lot of other words.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 3, 2021

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

AlternateNu posted:

I don't know poo poo about standard, but...

+

Suicide?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Toshimo posted:

Suicide?

It's Innistrad. So....yes?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Silhouette posted:

Black Lotus -> Lurrus -> recast Lotus was the reason that it's the only card banned in Vintage that isn't an ante or chaos orb/falling star effect

Lmao Jesus

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Bugsy posted:

Woah, etb vs cast is a little different but 2 mana glimpse of nature with flashback seems very strong not even counting the enchantment part. Dont think that half matters for standard, but wow what a card.

e - etb means it works with reanimation and warp world style effects. :drat:

Modern already had a two-mana Glimpse in the Beck half of Beck//Call, but now you get eight of them, which is always an interesting spot with effects you want to build around.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

As god is my witness, I will never read this card.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I do not like this day night mechanic because it makes a lot of the cards that are otherwise relatively textually simple read like strixhaven deans

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
The wording on day/night poo poo is garbo

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The ability switches day to night and vice versa. It seems interesting with the cards that trigger on day/night changes, you can get two if you also don't cast any spells on your turn.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Huxley posted:

As god is my witness, I will never read this card.

This is the hardest I have laughed about magic in ages, thank you

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mikeraskol posted:

lmfao. Those were dark times

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The unfortunate thing about adding the 3-tax to companions was it absolutely annihilated the companions that weren't either busted or had trivial requirements. I still think they should have banned the gently caress out of the broken ones instead.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The Klowner posted:

lmfao. Those were dark times

Dark times obvious at first glance to everyone not employed by Wizards

(probably obvious to a load of people inside too, I want to hear the stories)

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Arivia posted:

I love pretty deece and since long covid means all i'm good for is lying in bed watching youtubes this is great

e: also it looks like good mtg youtube jon has taken some tips from good sports youtube jon, this is laid out like a dorktown

Never heard of this series but subscribed for the excellent pun in the title ("Circling the Eldraine") alone. Really glad to see Eldraine slammed, it was absolute garbage as far as Constructed is concerned. Luckily for WotC, they're drowning in money coasting on the success of a community format they lucked into, so none of this matters. v:shobon:v

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
there was some primo doom posting going on in this thread around the time of lurrus

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Just lmao at casting Lurrus and Yorion whenever you want with no 3 mana tax. I'm dying.

I just got back into magic like 3 months ago so I had no idea. Hilarious.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm pretty sure people at the time were saying they couldn't be "fixed" either. Basically that WotC wouldn't errata them into something that conflicted with the printed words on the card.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Compare:

The Vampire lord gets; Evasion, and ETB
The Zombie; One point of toughness.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

The wording of the Day/Night cards could have been made so much better and it's really loving frustrating that they're written the way they are.

First of all, they could have made a single keyword that starts day/night tracking, or just have it be Daybound, but Daybound only causes transforming at night if the creature has a back side. And then Day/Night could just be an actual card that transforms, since they already have things that transform and it's well defined how transforming works.

Daybound (As this enters the battlefield, if it's neither Day or Night, it becomes Day. When Day transforms, transform this card if able.)
T: Add one mana of any color.
3, T: Transform Day or Night.
When Day or Night transforms, gain 1 life. You may draw a card. If you do, discard a card.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

mikeraskol posted:

Just lmao at casting Lurrus and Yorion whenever you want with no 3 mana tax. I'm dying.

I just got back into magic like 3 months ago so I had no idea. Hilarious.

It did make Obosh really fun though

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Ultima66 posted:

The wording of the Day/Night cards could have been made so much better and it's really loving frustrating that they're written the way they are.

First of all, they could have made a single keyword that starts day/night tracking, or just have it be Daybound, but Daybound only causes transforming at night if the creature has a back side. And then Day/Night could just be an actual card that transforms, since they already have things that transform and it's well defined how transforming works.

Daybound (As this enters the battlefield, if it's neither Day or Night, it becomes Day. When Day transforms, transform this card if able.)
T: Add one mana of any color.
3, T: Transform Day or Night.
When Day or Night transforms, gain 1 life. You may draw a card. If you do, discard a card.

Can you think of any possible downside if doing it this way or do you think the team of designers at WotC wasn't clever enough to come up with it?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The trick is that they wanted to be able to differentiate between when day/night becomes a game object, and when the time of day already exists as a game object and changes state. So you can have wording like "if it is neither day nor night" versus "when day becomes night and night becomes day"

I don't know why they would want to do this though. Like what game design equity is lost by shrinking everything to "when ~ Etbs, it becomes day/night" or "when it becomes day/night" or "when the time of day changes." Maybe put a little reminder text on a few commons to explain that "time of day change" is shorthand for "day becomes night or night becomes day."

The Klowner fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 3, 2021

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess they had to get modern horizons 2 and all the secret lairs and the commander decks and the Challenger decks and the starter kit and the mystery boosters and the The List™ updates out the door and didn't have time to make a headliner mechanic in their marquee main release set not a headache to read

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

fadam posted:

Can you think of any possible downside if doing it this way or do you think the team of designers at WotC wasn't clever enough to come up with it?

On Daybound being the keyword that also starts tracking Day/Night: The keyword implies that the card only stays in that form during the day. This is why they could have also had another keyword, like "Temporal" (this has different connotations but I'm sure they could come up with a word with better connotations) that starts tracking Day/Night, and have the werewolves have Temporal + Daybound on front side and Nightbound on back side. The design complication is it's another keyword to make players learn, but I don't personally see this as being a huge problem because of the clunkiness of writing out the mechanic already.

On Day/Night transforming: Currently it's not really a card, token, or even like Emblem. It's like City's Blessing where it's more of just an "idea" that can happen. Making it an object that can transform semi-implies that you might be able to interact with it directly (except nothing interacts with Emblems and it's not a problem), and that it's possible for tokens to be double faced, which is something complicated enough WotC probably will never actually touch in paper. Except you don't really have to print double faced token makers ever and they're already putting the Day/Night cards to track it in packs, so I disagree with the reservations here.

On the usage of transform vs having it be another keyword: If there are reservations of using Transform at all and implying tokens can transform and that Day/Night is a real game object, then they could make another keyword, like Sunshift. You can keep day/night exactly as it is in the weird not really object state it's in, and just say 3, T: Sunshift, and "When Sunshift happens..." Again, the only design issues I really see here are that it's another keyword to learn, and that WotC would actually have to find appropriate words that make sense for this happening. I personally don't see this as a space where saving the keyword complexity makes sense, if you're going to do this mechanic at all.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
https://twitter.com/MagicEsports/status/1433903828366028801

nice little reprint

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Pithing Needle reprint sure why not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think piling three keywords into one mechanic would be a lot worse.