Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
Shuck 'em long and shuck' em hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I guess it's not a Subtle Movie Moment by the thread's standards but worth pointing out to me that every movie that John Cazale was in won an Oscar. That's rather astonishing for someone who was never a leading man.

Godfather 1 and 2, Dog Day Afternoon and the Deer Hunter. Everyone recognizes him on sight and he was fantastic in everything I saw him in but he's never held up as a master thespian or anything nor brought up as a master of his craft. I suppose he was hard to cast due to being kind of weird looking but god drat was he terrific any time I saw him on screen. He's the practical definition of a supporting actor I guess but, Christ, he was good.

I bet someone like Tarantino could have used him to great effect but his wiki page seems to imply that he preferred stage acting and did a lot of plays. He'd be great in something like Death of a Salesman or Glen Gary Glen Ross.

To tie it into Subtle Movie Moments, I LOVE the way in Godfather 2 when Fredo kind of tails off when he's telling the Johnny Ola story during the Donkey/Superman scene. You can watch him in real time knowing that he's loving up by running his mouth too much but it's not over played and Cazale delivers the line(s) so well.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I think Daniel Day Lewis is the closest actor to meet Cazale's Oscar batting average.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I guess it's not a Subtle Movie Moment by the thread's standards but worth pointing out to me that every movie that John Cazale was in won an Oscar. That's rather astonishing for someone who was never a leading man.

Godfather 1 and 2, Dog Day Afternoon and the Deer Hunter. Everyone recognizes him on sight and he was fantastic in everything I saw him in but he's never held up as a master thespian or anything nor brought up as a master of his craft. I suppose he was hard to cast due to being kind of weird looking but god drat was he terrific any time I saw him on screen. He's the practical definition of a supporting actor I guess but, Christ, he was good.

I bet someone like Tarantino could have used him to great effect but his wiki page seems to imply that he preferred stage acting and did a lot of plays. He'd be great in something like Death of a Salesman or Glen Gary Glen Ross.

To tie it into Subtle Movie Moments, I LOVE the way in Godfather 2 when Fredo kind of tails off when he's telling the Johnny Ola story during the Donkey/Superman scene. You can watch him in real time knowing that he's loving up by running his mouth too much but it's not over played and Cazale delivers the line(s) so well.

They didn’t all win Oscars (you forgot The Conversation, which lives in the shadow of Godfather II and went 0/3 at the same ceremony) but they were all nominated for Best Picture. Also The Conversation rules.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

They didn’t all win Oscars (you forgot The Conversation, which lives in the shadow of Godfather II and went 0/3 at the same ceremony) but they were all nominated for Best Picture. Also The Conversation rules.

The conversation is so drat good. Blow Up has to be the film with the best remakes, and all the versions seem to be great while also very specifically 60s, 70s and 80s.

Someone can probably point out a 90s version that's poo poo though?

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Niric posted:

The conversation is so drat good. Blow Up has to be the film with the best remakes, and all the versions seem to be great while also very specifically 60s, 70s and 80s.

Someone can probably point out a 90s version that's poo poo though?

Probably Enemy of the State.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
I am surprised and kinda pleased to have caused a multi-page testicle derail

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
Also another Aussie here and I saw Bugsy Malone repeatedly as a kid, including a school stage production. My sisters mocking Jodie Foster singing My Name is Talulah lives rent free in my head

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Thanks for clarifying. I need to see The Conversation.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW9ddPWmmQ0

In Gattaca all of the loudspeaker announcements are in both Esperanto and English because obviously Esperanto has become a global world language by then.

This is never mentioned by anyone and only actually audible in this one scene, but it is still a neat easter egg for those who recognize it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Gattaca is a great movie and I love pretty much everything about its aesthetics

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Gattaca is a great movie and I love pretty much everything about its aesthetics

its drab and boring

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
In realtor terms, it would be subdued and understated

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

scary ghost dog posted:

its drab and boring

That's the point

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

flavor.flv posted:

That's the point

Sure but I think he's wondering why I personally would like it, not why it might be thematically fitting.

The answer is: I don't know, it just worked for me

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

my college friend after seeing GATTACA posted:

I liked this movie, but you know what this movie could've used more of? Monster trucks.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Sure but I think he's wondering why I personally would like it, not why it might be thematically fitting.

The answer is: I don't know, it just worked for me

i get it. i respect your love for it but i dispute that its a great movie

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

This is true of most movies tbf

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

My Monster Truck Rally with Andre

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

12 Angry Monster Trucks practically writes itself

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Monster Truck's Ball

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
That one just might be shortened to Monster Truck Nuts.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Any Given Sunday Sunday Sunday

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

My personal belief is any movie could be improved if it ended with the bad guy jumping into a helicopter gunship for an aerial battle against Airwolf. Sex and the City movies would be improved 100% if they ended with the cheating guy or guy with a small dick or whatever the bad guy of those things is leading half a dozen helicopters into mid-air combat.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

Any Given Sunday Sunday Sunday

Inspired.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I dunno if this was subtle or if I'm just oblivious, but in Naked Gun, The finger that Ricardo Moltiban's character finds in his hot dog is the finger of the guy who ambushes Drebben earlier in the movie at the meeting.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Neito posted:

I dunno if this was subtle or if I'm just oblivious, but in Naked Gun, The finger that Ricardo Moltiban's character finds in his hot dog is the finger of the guy who ambushes Drebben earlier in the movie at the meeting.

At the risk of me not getting a bit you're doing, :thejoke:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Sunswipe posted:

At the risk of me not getting a bit you're doing, :thejoke:

I just never put it together before today, like the sixth or seventh time I've seen the movie. I thought it was just a "Hot dogs are kinda gross" joke.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

It has a very distinctive ring on it, iirc.

But I'm sure I've missed more obviously stuff in my life, so I'm not judging you.

Also, it ain't subtle, but the guy shouting "It's Enrico Polatzo!" after Frank takes his umpire mask off is, in my eyes, the greatest joke in human history.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I appreciate the many different ways magic is used in “The Sorcerers Apprentice”

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

rydiafan posted:

Also, it ain't subtle, but the guy shouting "It's Enrico Polatzo!" after Frank takes his umpire mask off is, in my eyes, the greatest joke in human history.

I loved the way that in those films the actors who got one line were identified that way in the end credits (probably not that subtle, I admit).

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

There's a brief line near the beginning of Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings that is possibly only subtle to white people. Shang-Chi is at the bar with 3 Asian friends, talking about their youth, and Shang-Chi mentions he had to deal with some difficulties when he first arrived in the US. I can't remember the exact wording, unfortunately, but the way he said it felt like he was talking about racism, specifically.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Kruller posted:

There's a brief line near the beginning of Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings that is possibly only subtle to white people. Shang-Chi is at the bar with 3 Asian friends, talking about their youth, and Shang-Chi mentions he had to deal with some difficulties when he first arrived in the US. I can't remember the exact wording, unfortunately, but the way he said it felt like he was talking about racism, specifically.

Can you paraphrase, because no one has any idea what you're talking about.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
The word "racism" was uttered, so there's no need to elaborate because everything is about race all the time.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Mzuri posted:

The word "racism" was uttered, so there's no need to elaborate because everything is about race all the time.
You sound like a normal person with a lot of cool ideas lol

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mzuri posted:

You sound painfully white.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
My new black colleague has worked in China before and he said "the Chinese seem a bit more...reserved than the Germans so far" and I told that to my wife and she said "so he means they were racist as gently caress" and I was like "oooh" so yeah I get it

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Mzuri posted:

You remind me of a barking turd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The line is about facing difficulties with bullies at school and he gives an “as you all know” to the Chinese and Indian friends he’s talking to.