Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

American McGay posted:

Fishburne and Hugo are both out, either after not being asked or petty scheduling quibbles (according to Hugo). Really put a damper on any excitement I may have had for it.

That doesn't really bother me... At least it might feel like they're moving to a new story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

make Enter the Matrix backwards compatible you cowards

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

American McGay posted:

Fishburne and Hugo are both out, either after not being asked or petty scheduling quibbles (according to Hugo). Really put a damper on any excitement I may have had for it.

It would be weird as heck seeing Hugo return but Fishburne not being involved does suck, yeah. It was nice seeing him and Keanu together in John Wick so when Matrix 4 was announced I thought he would be involved for sure. I'm guessing the film will likely explain his absence.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

I'm excited to see if there are any innovative new filming techniques used in the fourth Matrix film when it comes out. I feel that something really clever must have sparked the desire to return to the franchise after so long and I'm sure that no matter what it will at the very least be a spectacle given the history of the franchise. I know people aren't as fond of the sequels but they had some excellent visuals and entertaining action scenes, imo.

I'm just happy to know they're using the old filming techniques of not CGI'ing literally everything. They shut down big chunks of downtown SF for filming a couple years back and it sounds like they did some cool poo poo. Car chases, helicopter stuff, jumping off buildings, etc. Feels weird to be excited to see a movie in part because I know the actors aren't in golfball suits talking to a tennis ball on a stick

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That game was understandably poo poo, but I couldn't stop playing it. There was just something about it that hooked me about the combat system that made me wanna keep playing certain levels over again. That and the hacking minigame was the coolest thing ever.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

now is absolutely the time for an enter the matrix remake

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

acksplode posted:

I'm just happy to know they're using the old filming techniques of not CGI'ing literally everything. They shut down big chunks of downtown SF for filming a couple years back and it sounds like they did some cool poo poo. Car chases, helicopter stuff, jumping off buildings, etc. Feels weird to be excited to see a movie in part because I know the actors aren't in golfball suits talking to a tennis ball on a stick

That's cool to hear. I know the sequels had some poor CGI (the agent jumping from car to car on the highway, the Neo vs. Smith in the sky...) but there were also some really entertaining scenes with it, such as Neo's first fight against all the Smith's in Reloaded. If they're going back to things being more grounded that's definitely not a bad thing but some of the ideas they had which necessitated the use of CGI were really fun, imo.

Edit: I can't recall if this was in the movie or a deleted scene, but I remember watching a fight scene that was a nod to the lobby firefight in the first movie, except it began with the enemies all jumping onto the ceiling and it was excellent. I think it was a deleted scene and I've no idea why if so.

I don't know about an Enter the Matrix remake but with the new console generation I would definitely agree that now is the time for a new Matrix game of some kind, I think consoles are now powerful enough to do justice to the IP.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 3, 2021

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

SUNKOS posted:

Edit: I can't recall if this was in the movie or a deleted scene, but I remember watching a fight scene that was a nod to the lobby firefight in the first movie, except it began with the enemies all jumping onto the ceiling and it was excellent. I think it was a deleted scene and I've no idea why if so.
It was in Revolutions and it was a part they showed in the trailer that played at the end of Reloaded. That's my memory anyway - not seen it in probably over a decade...

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Akuma posted:

It was in Revolutions and it was a part they showed in the trailer that played at the end of Reloaded. That's my memory anyway - not seen it in probably over a decade...

Yeah it was when they broke into Club Hell.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Rose colored glasses made you post this my friend

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
recent crop of game pass games looks weak but whatever happens the month is a hit because of samurai shodown 2 on gwg

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Blue Raider posted:

Rose colored glasses made you post this my friend

I actually played it this year on my Xbox and it was truly heinous. Maybe the worst control scheme I’ve ever experience

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

My 24 week reward streak just got reset for no reason at all. Soon I'm going to have to buy games with real money.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Enter the Matrix actually ran at 1080i on the OG Xbox

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Can anybody name the two playable characters from Enter the Matrix without looking them up? I played it a bunch and I can't.

Gonna guess uhh Cypher and Indigo.

Edit: I would never have guessed Jada's character's name.

Jolo fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 4, 2021

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Jolo posted:

Can anybody name the two playable characters from Enter the Matrix without looking them up? I played it a bunch and I can't.

Gonna guess uhh Cypher and Indigo.

Edit: I would never have guessed Jada's character's name.
Uhhh Ghost and something beginning with N?

Edit: poo poo it came to me! Niobe? She's in the films a fair amount tho.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Yeah the game focuses on the events happening to Niobe and an Asian dude if I’m remembering correctly, trying to weave it into what we saw in Reloaded.

Niobe is back for Matrix 4, which is weird since she was an ex lover of Morpheus who is in 4 but as a younger version :wtc:

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

A page or two back but someone had asked what 4k discs are worth it - typically what I do is search (movie name) 4k blu ray comparison on youtube and there are a couple channels on there that do comparisons that will help you decide if its worth going for the 4k first or upgrading a blu ray you already had to 4k. It's been really helpful to me. Keep in mind you need to watch them on a 4k capable screen to really see the full comparison but many of them are obvious huge upgrades even watching them on a 1080p screen.

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfR0lKeed24

This is a good one for showing what a huge upgrade 4k can be over 1080p blu ray

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I just remembered that Morpheus died in the Matrix Online (or maybe some other game?) and all of it was considered canon, so maybe that's why he's not back? Then again, Trinity & Neo died so :psyduck:

If that's true about Niobe being back but as a younger version I think I understand why Fishburne is not returning. If Niobe is younger, maybe Morpheus is as well?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
My brother has been buying 4K blu-rays simply because it's gonna be the last physical media the studios ever release so it's nice to have a definitive copy of the stuff you like.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

American McGay posted:

My brother has been buying 4K blu-rays simply because it's gonna be the last physical media the studios ever release so it's nice to have a definitive copy of the stuff you like.

This is also a good strategy but you can sometimes get burned

It seems people online hate the Terminator 2 4k release with a passion and I know some 4ks get digital noise reduction-ed to hell and back so you still have to be careful about what you consider the definitive edition, unfortunately. That being said most 4k versions are by far the best and it's rare that one is worse.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

SUNKOS posted:

I just remembered that Morpheus died in the Matrix Online (or maybe some other game?) and all of it was considered canon, so maybe that's why he's not back? Then again, Trinity & Neo died so :psyduck:

If that's true about Niobe being back but as a younger version I think I understand why Fishburne is not returning. If Niobe is younger, maybe Morpheus is as well?

Oh sorry I meant Morpheus is back as a younger version, or that is the current speculation. Niobe is played again as jada pinkett current age. Unless they’re digitally de-aging her…but honestly there’s no reason for that because that women doesn’t appear to age.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Orange Carlisle posted:

A page or two back but someone had asked what 4k discs are worth it - typically what I do is search (movie name) 4k blu ray comparison on youtube and there are a couple channels on there that do comparisons that will help you decide if its worth going for the 4k first or upgrading a blu ray you already had to 4k. It's been really helpful to me. Keep in mind you need to watch them on a 4k capable screen to really see the full comparison but many of them are obvious huge upgrades even watching them on a 1080p screen.

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfR0lKeed24

This is a good one for showing what a huge upgrade 4k can be over 1080p blu ray

Thanks for this. I own no blu rays and have never watched one hence my curiosity. I've done 40gb 4K rips of blade runner 2049 to see what my tv is capable of, but never an actual 4K UHD disc to really push it. I'll have a look for something I really like.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Nuts and Gum posted:

Oh sorry I meant Morpheus is back as a younger version, or that is the current speculation. Niobe is played again as jada pinkett current age. Unless they’re digitally de-aging her…but honestly there’s no reason for that because that women doesn’t appear to age.

No worries and yeah, if it's confirmed that Morpheus is present and younger, then obviously that's a significant plot point and although it will be a shame to not see Fishburne present, it definitely makes sense. We'll see him and Reeves together again in John Wick 4, anyways :)

Orange Carlisle posted:

This is also a good strategy but you can sometimes get burned

It seems people online hate the Terminator 2 4k release with a passion and I know some 4ks get digital noise reduction-ed to hell and back so you still have to be careful about what you consider the definitive edition, unfortunately. That being said most 4k versions are by far the best and it's rare that one is worse.

I remember the original Predator being really bad for this, everyone looked like a wax figure. It was bizarre but also a real shame since it's such a classic. On the subject of Termaintor 2 I've been confused trying to get a version that I originally remember (the ending on the road with the voiceover, rather than the ending with an elderly Sarah talking about John fighting via politics). Can't remember which is the original and which is the director's cut anymore, and the same applies to some other movies where I wish I could make my own version taking elements that I like from both (particularly with the Aliens films).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Started replaying Cyberpunk (that :10bux: copy I got from Best Buy). Man, it's a trip seeing this game run at 60fps.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I forgot to go pick mine up so after a few days they cancelled the order lol. No huge loss though, because that was on the same day that CDPR announced that the next gen patch basically has no actual release date yet, so I can just wait for another sale.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I haven't played any of it and am waiting for the series X patch/sale.

But man I could see that flop coming from a mile away. No game with that much hype is ever going to go well. Seems like everyone is being cautious about BF2042 but some of the clips of the test/beta thing looked like a return to bf4.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

I rented it for GameCube. In hindsight, an extremely 2003 moment. I remember thinking it was a lot better than the YouTube video I just looked at.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

It output at 1080i but it didn't render at anywhere near that resolution...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1434229914148896770?s=21

https://twitter.com/zhugeex/status/1434232279874813954?s=21

How do y'all feel about this? I played it on 360 and remember enjoying it, but that was also like a decade ago.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
🛌

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Laserface posted:

Seems like everyone is being cautious about BF2042 but some of the clips of the test/beta thing looked like a return to bf4.

I thought that BF4 was a disaster, the seemingly recent fondness for it has never made sense for me but I haven't played any of the following BF games either, so I can only guess that they must have been so bad that they retroactively made BF4 a better game?

I was really excited when I saw the mode for BF2042 that had classic Bad Company 2 content, but that's not enough to make me hop back into that franchise. EA seems to be aware that people miss it (and other games, such as their Dead Space remaster being in production) but I'm waiting for either a Bad Company 2 remaster or a Bad Company 3. I think my own issue with Battlefield is that is has become far too large scale, whereas BC2 was still large scale but focused with where combat took place and progression through multiplayer levels (having to capture one point to unlock the next etc.) being well designed.

Their "Battlefield moments" campaign was genius with showing the great moments that can happen but the reality of walking stupidly far to get to combat and/or being sniped anyways either before or when you get there made my last experience with the franchise a real slog. I know you can spawn on squad mates but at the time BF4 had some horrid server/netcode issues that only made things worse. I've always considered it the lowest point in the franchise so if the following games were worse then :stare:

Rageaholic posted:

How do y'all feel about this? I played it on 360 and remember enjoying it, but that was also like a decade ago.

It's going to be interesting to see how the eventual Xbox releases of the FF7 Remake go since Sony is being so odd with the timed exclusivity deals and extending them, but it will be interesting to see if there's any enhancements made to the content to take advantage of the better hardware whenever they do release.

As for Alan Wake, I've never played it but as a Twin Peaks fan I would be down for a remaster. I'm still a little annoyed with how Remedy handled the XSX/PS5 versions of Control however, forcing people to buy the game again rather than just making it a free update. They're a great studio and I want to support them but that soured me.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rageaholic posted:

I really like Alan Wake from a fun story/atmosphere/character game but in practice it's repetitive and shallow in the gameplay department. I'm guessing they're probably not making major changes under the hood. If you haven't played it but enjoy a good story with fun characters I would give it a shot, just don't go into expecting Max Payne Remedy.

quote:

They're a great studio and I want to support them but that soured me.

It's not the devs fault on that; 505 Games is to blame, they're the publisher. Alan Wake was published by Microsoft but not sure who has the publishing rights now if it has a PS5 version listed. Rockstar published Max Payne which is why they kept the rights to the character after Remedy left. Control is the only Remedy game that falls under 505 Games publishing rights afaict.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 4, 2021

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Alan Wake was/is a good game, but if this is just an uprez (which is surely is because I'd have to imagine a full-on remaster a la Demons Souls would have been shown off more than a month before release) then meh.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Darkplace is Alan Wake done well

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Laserface posted:

Thanks for this. I own no blu rays and have never watched one hence my curiosity. I've done 40gb 4K rips of blade runner 2049 to see what my tv is capable of, but never an actual 4K UHD disc to really push it. I'll have a look for something I really like.

There are tons of great looking 4k discs out there depending on what you like - some of my personal favorites are Saving Private Ryan, The Matrix, John Wick 2/3, Guardians Of The Galaxy 2, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and Groundhog day just off the top of my head. I feel like all of those not only look great but are miles above their standard blu ray versions when compared. If your player and television both have HDR capabilities (or Dolby Vision) even better.

Once you start collecting physical media again it kind of becomes a thing though, so know that going in lol

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Bardeh posted:

Alan Wake was/is a good game, but if this is just an uprez (which is surely is because I'd have to imagine a full-on remaster a la Demons Souls would have been shown off more than a month before release) then meh.

Current pc version is still a good looking game outside of the prerendered cutscenes.
360 version has smushy textures and low resolution.

Very fun story, but the gameplay is just passable.

In-game band Old Gods of Asgard is good stuff:
(Played by poets of the fall)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M1k1tgq87g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZiYFFDGoh0

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

No remaster pc version? Boo

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Orange Carlisle posted:

There are tons of great looking 4k discs out there depending on what you like - some of my personal favorites are Saving Private Ryan, The Matrix, John Wick 2/3, Guardians Of The Galaxy 2, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and Groundhog day just off the top of my head. I feel like all of those not only look great but are miles above their standard blu ray versions when compared. If your player and television both have HDR capabilities (or Dolby Vision) even better.

Once you start collecting physical media again it kind of becomes a thing though, so know that going in lol

I've got a series x and an LG b8 OLED so definitely capable. Might grab fury road and the matrix since I haven't watched the latter in forever and only saw fury road at the cinema.

My systems weak point is that it's 2.1 and Plex doesn't do a great job of downmixing to stereo. Decent speakers (audio engine a5+) but I've been thinking of getting a decent sound bar with atmos strictly for TV and using the speakers just for critical listening/doobie nights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Alan Wake was on gwg or gamepass I forget. I played 30 minutes of it and then deleted it from my hard drive.