Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Which episode has Shiva at the earth's core pressing buttons

Ahh terrible snipe :golgo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pretty sure that's Bart vs Australia

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Jay Rust posted:

What Simpsons episode would you show someone who's never seen the Simpsons before?

Sweet Seymour Skinner's Baadasssss Song

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Jay Rust posted:

What Simpsons episode would you show someone who's never seen the Simpsons before?

Season 9, Episode 2

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Did not expect to see square meals in a meme so soon.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Zil posted:

Did not expect to see square meals in a meme so soon.

I had a few ideas

MetaJew posted:

I kinda traded your soul to a venture capitalist.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

MetaJew posted:

I had a few ideas

lol that's amazing

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

You have 30 minutes to eat your dinner.
You have 10 minutes.
Your dinner has been venture capitalized.
Your dinner has been compressed into a cube.
You have 30 minutes to eat your cube.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

is this one of those All-Ighty Ollars I've been hearing about?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Doggles posted:

You have 10 minutes.

:five:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Doggles posted:

You have 10 minutes.

:pusheen:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

gently caress me I had to get out of bed to make this

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

FBS posted:

Worth it:discourse:

p_e_z_z
Feb 27, 2020

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

loquacius posted:

Reposting this because it keeps jumping into my head unbidden
:dudsmile:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

christmas boots posted:

Season 9, Episode 2
This is torture and the penalty for that is

also torture, apparently.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

FBS posted:

p_e_z_z
Feb 27, 2020

:dudsmile:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

lmao

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

What a journey

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

holttho
May 21, 2007

Re: introductory episodes:

Don't try to give people a 'best episode to get them hooked' as it is doomed from the start. It puts a pressure on them to 'get' the jokes at the right time, but those might be the culmination of getting to know the characters and writing style over many episodes and seasons. If they then (very likely) don't like your best episode as much as you do, they then write off the whole thing as 'not for them' and justify their non-involvement up until that point.

Better is to just say to start at some very early beginning point (god forbid you start at S01E01) and just watch straight through. Sure, you can skip the occasional stinker, but don't try to cherry pick the best. If the idea of watching a handful of episodes is too daunting for them, then they weren't going to follow through anyways. Watching any TV show (heck, even a movie) is a mental and emotional investment, and if they have actually committed to doing that, than starting from square one is the best option, and if they never really were invested, then no start will cause them to be.

The Simpsons have been a television cultural pillar for decades and are nearly omnipresent, they are already aware if they want to be part of it or not. See also: Star Wars/Trek. If they haven't seen it by now, its probably because they know they aren't going to like it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

has someone done one where it's that scene and moe giving em one of these? i believe there's some combinatory value there.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

holttho posted:

Re: introductory episodes:

Don't try to give people a 'best episode to get them hooked' as it is doomed from the start. It puts a pressure on them to 'get' the jokes at the right time, but those might be the culmination of getting to know the characters and writing style over many episodes and seasons. If they then (very likely) don't like your best episode as much as you do, they then write off the whole thing as 'not for them' and justify their non-involvement up until that point.

Better is to just say to start at some very early beginning point (god forbid you start at S01E01) and just watch straight through. Sure, you can skip the occasional stinker, but don't try to cherry pick the best. If the idea of watching a handful of episodes is too daunting for them, then they weren't going to follow through anyways. Watching any TV show (heck, even a movie) is a mental and emotional investment, and if they have actually committed to doing that, than starting from square one is the best option, and if they never really were invested, then no start will cause them to be.

The Simpsons have been a television cultural pillar for decades and are nearly omnipresent, they are already aware if they want to be part of it or not. See also: Star Wars/Trek. If they haven't seen it by now, its probably because they know they aren't going to like it.

I agree with this. Personally I'd start at S03E04: Bart the Murderer.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

idgi why is Guy Incognito wearing pieces of the improved nuclear plant that Homer made???

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

idgi why is Guy Incognito wearing pieces of the improved nuclear plant that Homer made???
To lower wind resistance.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I would argue that Lemon of Troy is the best introductory episode because it encapsulates everything that the show is all about.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I'd introduce them to answering machines and music videos and all the other stuff they missed in the last 30 years. Who is this theoretical hermit anyway?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I would argue that Lemon of Troy is the best introductory episode because it encapsulates everything that the show is all about.

Lemon of Troy is a top 5 episode for me but I think it helps to be familiar with a lot of the wider Springfield characters and environments or else a lot of the Shelbyville jokes won't land.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

what is the best meme to introduce my friend to simpsons memes

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'd do the one where Bart falls down the well since it's the only episode with Sting.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mescal posted:

what is the best meme to introduce my friend to simpsons memes

Boy Scoutz N the Hood

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013