Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

(Edit)lame snipe: was RE RJ City

also was on some tv show as a kid and did a Mania talk show for WWE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Who is RJ City? I always see stuff from him being retweeted but I never hear about him wrestling and google doesn’t help explain why he has such a high profile.

He taught everyone everything about wrestling and how to get over:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agAOVr9GnqQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-tOic2c2ag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qVfy6hysI0

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
What's the best G1 final?

Use whatever criteria.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

FakePoet posted:

Use whatever criteria.

Kenny vs Naito in 2017 or Tana vs Nakamura in 2015

Bonus shout out to 2010, Kojima vs Tanahashi.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Cerebral Bore posted:

If you have New Japan World I can at least recommend the following:

ZSJ vs Ospreay from this year's New Japan Cup

Finally started going through my ZSJ matches that people reccomended to me here, watched a couple but this was the standout. I really love the sheer ways that he can get someone in a hold that don't seem literally possible, and what... to me, with no knoweldge of will osperay other than 'i thought he was a high flyer but he seems to be working a more power-y heel moveset here' seemed like a heel versus heel match, the pacing was really something.

Also, it might have been the most homoerotic match i've seen in a while. the mocking kicks, the insulting to each other, the sheer amount of beat up each man gets, the inherent homoeroticism of submission wrestling, the blood... jesus. good poo poo.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Where does Ric Flair vs Randy Savage in 92 stand in both men's greatest matches? They're two GOATS colliding at the biggest wrestling show of the year, why does this one get overlooked?

What are the biggest non WWE pops/crowd reactions in wrestling?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Way too easy:

https://youtu.be/ByAXCjqBzLg

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Where does Ric Flair vs Randy Savage in 92 stand in both men's greatest matches? They're two GOATS colliding at the biggest wrestling show of the year, why does this one get overlooked?

Probably not in their top 10, especially since the build was awkward in that way WWE didn't want to push Ric Flair as Ric and also cause while it was build as a main event everybody knew it wasn't the main event.

Edit: The House show feud also didn't draw well for WWE which is super funny as when WCW ran it is one of the programs that helped turn their house show business around

SatoshiMiwa fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 4, 2021

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Kosmo Gallion posted:

luger racking hogan in 97 is up there

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Goldberg beating Hogan for the belt was pretty massive as I recall.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What are some curtain jerk matches that were the best match on the card?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Kosmo Gallion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHqBPw5HYDU

Same place as the other video.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The classic example is Pillman/Liger from Superbrawl 92

Q7kid
Jul 24, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Liger vs. Pillman, SuperBrawl II. The gold standard from where I sit.

ChrisBTY posted:

LOL, yes, exactly.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Owen v. Bret at WrestleMania X depends on whether you consider it a superior match to Razor v. HBK, I guess.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

edogawa rando posted:

Owen v. Bret at WrestleMania X depends on whether you consider it a superior match to Razor v. HBK, I guess.

From what I recall, Razor v HBK is better as a historical footnote of the first major ladder match, and doesn't hold up as a match compared to others? Still pretty significant, at least.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

edogawa rando posted:

I was about to post this one. It’s debatable whether it’s the better than the ladder match, but it’s still fantastic.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I’d say Hart v Hart is the best match on the show. The ladder match is also great but the opener is a match I’d consider showing anyone who wants to know what the deal is with pro wrestling.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Any Bret match is better than any HBK match.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

FakePoet posted:

Use whatever criteria.

Tanahashi vs Ibushi

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Kobashi/Kikuchi vs the Can Am's is one of the loudest sustained crowd reaction I've seen

Also when Misawa upset Jumbo. Budokan went crazy

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

It's probably in Savage's top 10, it's probably not in Flair's top 100. It's a great match but it happened during a down period for the business and the feud really went downhill from there so it's not part of a super memorable story. Plus there's so many other Flair matches that are better.

The biggest is Kobashi's entrance for his retirement match.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

If you count the pre-show as curtain jerking, the WeeLC match at Extreme Rules 2014.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Have Japanese wrestling crowds changed in the last thirty years, or was the "Japanese crowds are very quiet and polite during matches" made up bullshit?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Have Japanese wrestling crowds changed in the last thirty years, or was the "Japanese crowds are very quiet and polite during matches" made up bullshit?

Made up bullshit.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the main difference is mostly that there is still some polite applause when they don't care about what's happening, instead of boos or zero reaction. i hope i'm not lying

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

They just pop and chant for very good wrestling, so all the western guys who couldn't work were like "Ahh, it can't be that I'm unexciting to them, it must just be that Japanese crowds are quiet and respectful in general"

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I mean the 80's All Japan Women crowds were some of the most rabid and somehow the 70's stuff on World had super hot crowds too

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Lid posted:

Made up bullshit.

Watch Tyson vs Buster Douglas, it isnt made up bullshit. The crowds back then were way more subdued

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

I also like Pillman/Badd from Fall Brawl 95

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Tyson/Douglas was in the Dome which is a terrible venue for noise and the crowd was probably mostly rich people that just wanted to see Tyson fight.

Like watch Terry Funk's All Japan retirement match or the New Japan/Uwf stuff from the 80's. Or the first G1 at Sumo Hall. All super hot crowds

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Duke Pukem posted:

Watch Tyson vs Buster Douglas, it isnt made up bullshit. The crowds back then were way more subdued

Sir this is a Wendy's/boxing match.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Tyson/Douglas was in the Dome which is a terrible venue for noise and the crowd was probably mostly rich people that just wanted to see Tyson fight.

Like watch Terry Funk's All Japan retirement match or the New Japan/Uwf stuff from the 80's. Or the first G1 at Sumo Hall. All super hot crowds

Yes, crowds could get hot, but they were still a lot more subdued than US crowds at the same era

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Duke Pukem posted:

Yes, crowds could get hot, but they were still a lot more subdued than US crowds at the same era

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0zoh7cU5sM

Show me a US crowd as hot or hotter than this in the same era

Or show me a crowd hotter for babyfaces than All Japan Women for the Crush Girls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHppCEtv314

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0zoh7cU5sM

Show me a US crowd as hot or hotter than this in the same era

Or show me a crowd hotter for babyfaces than All Japan Women for the Crush Girls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHppCEtv314

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUAXRkzgauE

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Watching this match there's a lot of mime to convey the story of the match, way more than you see in modern matches.

Why did mime die as a way of communicating to audience? Is there anyone who does it particularly well now days?

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 4, 2021

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I could be making this up but I think back in the day before giant screens and tv the wrestlers would have to make sure every one in the arena could understand what was going on, so they always seem more animated and ott in their reactions and movements than today because otherwise the people in the cheap seats way back wouldn’t know whether to boo or cheer.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

April 14 2021 Dynamite opened with the Young Bucks vs PAC and Rey Fenix, not just the best match on the card but one of my top 10 AEW matches of all time.

Similarly, the 20th November 2019 Dynamite opened with Nick Jackson vs Rey Fenix, and that match is an absolute gem.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Wrestlemania 32

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

fez_machine posted:

Watching this match there's a lot of mime to convey the story of the match, way more than you see in modern matches.

Why did mime die as a way of communicating to audience? Is there anyone who does it particularly well now days?

Mr. Noodle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Mr. Noodle died. He was replaced by his brother, Mr. Noodle.