Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

TacoNight posted:

So I spend a mana in order to make one opponent spend 2 mana at their convenience, and until they do, I'm down a card.

Sounds sweet!

Don't worry, unless you can peek at their hand it might also do stone nothing while putting you down a card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It'll probably be banned from Brawl at least.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Has anyone else run into book of exaslted deeds being allowed in 2022 standard on arena? Played ranked atm, and an orzhov player suddenly has it and used it against me. Currently making him earn a loving win. -54 to 14 with me on mono green. Do I just captured a log and report a bug?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

BizarroAzrael posted:

Surprised not to see talk of how good this seems with Lurrus? Definitely seems worth a shot in BW auras which run Claim/Fame now.
I'm surprised nobody is mentioning the weird hosed up looking cat on the right of the picture

What is up with that cat

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It's nice to know that Sean Connery is keeping busy during retirement

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Silhouette posted:

It's nice to know that Sean Connery is keeping busy during retirement

He’s dead.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

She’s dead.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

So disturb him. It only costs 3.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Whoops!

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh poo poo.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

TacoNight posted:

So I spend a mana in order to make one opponent spend 2 mana at their convenience, and until they do, I'm down a card.

Sounds sweet!

Hopefully it’s a good enabler for a standard/historic enchantress deck, costing 1 and slowing the opponent down.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I’m pretty sure the main reason the Zombie Lord only buffs power is because when you go wide the majority of your zombies are going to be 2/2 tokens with decay. Who cannot block and die after they attack anyway.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Unless you get doll factory online, then they're all non decayed 3/3s

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
This is the last I'll say on it before I get sucked into another argument:
The base line for a two mana uncommon lord is 2 mana 2/2 +1/+1 for all others of the type.
This what has become the standard with Inspiring Veteran, Legion Lieutenant, Sporecrown Thalid, allll the way back to Wizened Cenn.
Rares get abilities tacked on too.
This zombie doesn't even get that. It stinks.
Comparatively the vampire isn't a lord at all but has evasion and multiple triggers to provide value even beyond death.
I don't really care that they're "signposts" or whatever. What I care about is all the good text that the one card got that isn't present on the other.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Cards are designed in the context of their own set which means they expect you to have a shitload more zombies on the field than vampires so there you go

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

HootTheOwl posted:

The base line for a two mana uncommon lord is 2 mana 2/2 +1/+1 for all others of the type.
This what has become the standard with Inspiring Veteran, Legion Lieutenant, Sporecrown Thalid, allll the way back to Wizened Cenn.
Comparatively the vampire isn't a lord at all but has evasion and multiple triggers to provide value even beyond death.
I don't really care that they're "signposts" or whatever. What I care about is all the good text that the one card got that isn't present on the other.

The zombie lord is no Drogskol Captain that is for sure however the design parameters and power levels differ from set to set so I think it's fair to wait and see a bit more assuming the worst.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The idea with Curse of Silence is you drop it the turn before they sweep the board and then win the game before they can actually play their sweeper. And if they do end up holding on long enough to sweep, you get the extra card to find something else to close out the game. The fact that it's practically a dead draw after that point counts against it a lot though.

Both the zombie lord and vampire lieutenant are going to be key draft cards. Whether they see constructed play is going to come down to what the rest of the tribe looks like rather than their own strengths, but IMO I think the zombie is more likely to have a deck. But if you think every draft uncommon needs to also be a constructed player then you're probably the sort of person who liked Eldraine.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

HootTheOwl posted:

On one hand, it definitely is pathetic compared to the usual standards of uncommon lords, although for what it’s worth full +1/+1 lords at MV2 are incredibly rare (like five or six total?); even at CMC3 at uncommon you have some that strike well above expectations like Imperious Perfect, the entire Captain cycle from DKA, and Lord of the Accursed.

On the other hand, there are other zombie lords in standard, and it’s pushed statwise for a CMC2 uncommon lord; the only one on par with total stats I could find that was unconditional +1/+0 for the type was Chief of the Blade, and that’s a 3/2 instead of a 2/3 for a much less popular creature type. Dodging most MV1 removal is a pretty nice perk.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Curse of Silence goes into white weenie's sideboard vs Epiphany/Blood on the Snow decks

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Having every creature lord ever printed be a mv2 2/2 that gives +1/+1 is boring as hell and a waste of good design space

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Silhouette posted:

Curse of Silence goes into white weenie's sideboard vs Epiphany/Blood on the Snow decks

White weenie already has a card that does this but it's also a 3/1 flier instead of a do-nothing that draws you a card later

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah I just did a brief scan for Uncommon 2CMC 2/2 lords that give +1/+1 and you can count them on one mutant hand. I think you're overestimating how set in stone this creature archetype is but also there are so many more playable zombies and zombie token generators than say, knight creatures (Inspiring Veteran) or Saprolings and Fungi (Sporecrown Thalid). Legion Lieutenant and Merfolk Mistbinder are in creature types that have a strong tribal identity.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

A point of toughness wouldn't do anything in a set when the main zombie swarm mechanic includes 'can't block'. It means this guy can boost your zombie swarms as intended while they don't have to worry about support zombies being put out of range of removal / combat.

Anyways, the main reason we're going to return to eldraine is for the Shrek secret lair.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Anyways, the main reason we're going to return to eldraine is for the Shrek secret lair.

Don't give me hope...

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Welllllllll now. That does quite a Faithless Looting impression. I'm not sure how 2 colors and 2 mana on the front side stacks up to a bunch of incidental lifegain and instant speed. This one certainly feels stronger for Standard and worse for eternal formats, but I'm not sure where that flips.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

vegetables posted:

I think “whenever day becomes night or night becomes day” is hard to parse because it’s supposed to be read:

“Whenever

day becomes night

or

night becomes day”

But it’s easy to misread as the headache inducing:

“Whenever

day becomes night or night

becomes day”

It is not clear the word “or” starts a new condition – rather than modifying the one you’re reading – until you have read the whole phrase, and if you don’t realise that then “day becomes night or night” is a headfuck. I’ve no idea if that’s a resolvable issue in templating but that’s where I think the issue lies

"When the time of the day changes" is elegant enough, as long as the game rules further clarify what that means. Print the reminder text on the day/night token ("the time of day changes whenever day becomes night or night becomes day").

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

The keywords should just be Sunrise/Sunset. Sunset being the change from Day -> Night and Sunrise being the change from Night -> Day. Can simplify it by having it written as "The Celestus" is 3{T}: Sunrise or Sunset. Activate only as a Sorcery.

And by default if its neither day/night it defaults to Sunrise. So just write, "As The Celestus enters the battlefield, Sunrise if it's neither day or night"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Welllllllll now. That does quite a Faithless Looting impression. I'm not sure how 2 colors and 2 mana on the front side stacks up to a bunch of incidental lifegain and instant speed. This one certainly feels stronger for Standard and worse for eternal formats, but I'm not sure where that flips.

That seems super good to me

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah could be a thing if there are pushed Disturb/Flashback cards.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Wonder if some kind of Jeskai flashback/graveyard deck is going to be a thing

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

So is it just illegal for red cards to be good? Reprint them in blue and better. Really concerned what this will do.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's a lot worse than Faithless Looting. Could be decent though still.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

BizarroAzrael posted:

So is it just illegal for red cards to be good? Reprint them in blue and better. Really concerned what this will do.

They did just print Expressive Iteration which seems like a valid comparison.

Edit: Oh, you mean like mono-red? I see.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

There’s an argument to be made for Red being the strongest colour in both Arena formats lol.

This is a weird one tho for sure. Powerful effect, but required W and two mana makes it a lot worse than the original imo even tho this is instant speed. I guess if there's some sort of WUB reanimatior shell this is pretty good.

fadam fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 4, 2021

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

What, looting is way better what are you on about

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

BizarroAzrael posted:

Faithless looting is a literally careful study with flashback.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

So much for W/U Magecraft not surviving rotation. That's an easy 4 of.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
https://twitter.com/chuckkallenbach/status/1434171682894221313?s=21

Did Wizards ban devs from competing games from playing MTG competitively or something? Not sure what this guy or LSV is alluding to

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

goferchan posted:

Did Wizards ban devs from competing games from playing MTG competitively or something?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's a lot worse than Faithless Looting. Could be decent though still.

It is instant at least.